What's new

General/Other - Unbreakable Unbreakable aura got a "nerf".

Lokheit

Noob
Just wanted to warn everyone about "kind of a nerf" suffered by Unbreakable.

Because of the new "aura can keep the combo" buff, using the aura during a combo applies a damage penalty of 0.85 (in other words, the following damage is reduced to 85% of the original damage, for reference, regular iceball reduces following damage to 75%). This is a very rare case of a move that applies a penalty without hitting (other exceptions are special move cancels that apply a 0.9 penalty) and for example Grand Master f4 into Ex Clone into fast combo won't apply a penalty while it's basically the same (a special fast enough to keep you with enough frames to continue the combo).

I know this is done just for balance, and up to that point it's ok... but the regular aura also got the damage penalty of 0.85 even if it isn't fast enough to keep a combo going.

This means that if you're used to do stater -> iceball -> aura up -> continue the combo, now in addition to the 0.75 penalty of the iceball you have another 0.85 penalty (combined this means you're only getting 63.75% of following combo damage).

So just wanted to share this and advice all Unbreakable players to armor up after the knockdown instead of in the middle of combos unless you're using the EX Aura to extend the combo. It's tempting to use the aura after a freeze because it looks like the perfect moment with no pressure, but you're ruining your combo damage by doing that.

Tokiwartoothxdk

『T R I G G E R E D』
the only time i used aura after a freeze was if i was going to end the combo with a shatter for more damage. slide into ice aura is completely safe
edit: nevermind you get less damage even if you hit the break in a combo lmao

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Was to be expected. This is a fairly universal mechanic that applies to all specials that leave enough frame advantage for 2-in-1 combos though. The aggregated damage all depends on how much damage you did before going into the special.

Liu Kang is a good example of this with FBRC, EX Flame Buff, and Metamorphosis in their respective variations.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Was to be expected. This is a fairly universal mechanic that applies to all specials that leave enough frame advantage for 2-in-1 combos though. The aggregated damage all depends on how much damage you did before going into the special.

Liu Kang is a good example of this with FBRC, EX Flame Buff, and Metamorphosis in their respective variations.
Yeah but he isn't talking about cancels though.

Some unbreakable players usually activate the aura when they catch someone with an ice ball then continue the combo. OP is talking about doing that. If you do that your combo will scale, even though it's not used as a link.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Yeah but he isn't talking about cancels though.

Some unbreakable players usually activate the aura when they catch someone with an ice ball then continue the combo. OP is talking about doing that. If you do that your combo will scale, even though it's not used as a link.
I wouldn't really consider Dualist's Metamorphosis to be a cancel either.

Ultimately it's hard to explain but with the way scaling works it does make sense, and I doubt NRS directly adjusted this when they buffed the Ice Aura.

omooba

fear the moobs
Just wanted to warn everyone about "kind of a nerf" suffered by Unbreakable.

Because of the new "aura can keep the combo" buff, using the aura during a combo applies a damage penalty of 0.85 (in other words, the following damage is reduced to 85% of the original damage, for reference, regular iceball reduces following damage to 75%). This is a very rare case of a move that applies a penalty without hitting (other exceptions are special move cancels that apply a 0.9 penalty) and for example Grand Master f4 into Ex Clone into fast combo won't apply a penalty while it's basically the same (a special fast enough to keep you with enough frames to continue the combo).

I know this is done just for balance, and up to that point it's ok... but the regular aura also got the damage penalty of 0.85 even if it isn't fast enough to keep a combo going.

This means that if you're used to do stater -> iceball -> aura up -> continue the combo, now in addition to the 0.75 penalty of the iceball you have another 0.85 penalty (combined this means you're only getting 63.75% of following combo damage).

So just wanted to share this and advice all Unbreakable players to armor up after the knockdown instead of in the middle of combos unless you're using the EX Aura to extend the combo. It's tempting to use the aura after a freeze because it looks like the perfect moment with no pressure, but you're ruining your combo damage by doing that.
Same things happens everytime you run cancel

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
the only time i used aura after a freeze was if i was going to end the combo with a shatter for more damage. slide into ice aura is completely safe
edit: nevermind you get less damage even if you hit the break in a combo lmao
But you lose advantage tho

loogie

Noob
if something like this was caught for Kitana in the Kitana community, we wouldn't see the end of it + walls of comments, screaming and kicking. I actually feel threatened every time I go there :)

about the OP, it's a good observation. and thanks for sharing.

ColdSpine

"I wore those colors before you"
damage reduction in this variation really saddens me since it isnt high in the first place. getting a good read on opponent for 27%-30 damage is weird and not rewarding to take the risk.

and if you whif your shield enjoy that 40%-43% combo your gonna eat.

im not complaining, but i was so interested in this variation only to be left disappointed in a way i guess.

I GOT HANDS

Yeah I really don't think the damage reduction is necessary. What are NRS scared of? This variation was well agreed on as one of the worst in the game. He got such mild buffs.

Ryncage

Noob
Imo damage needs to be based off highest damage that can be done on any character off 1-2 bars. Characters regardless of kit shouldnt be gimped on damage regardless of combo complexity. Making a charatcer overwhelming stronger just because "muh inputs are harder" os stupid. And that isnt even the case in nrs's case. (Lookin at you pred)

The fact that unbreakable has to catch a mistake 3-4 times to take a round is really killing it when you only need to get caught twice by more than half the cast.

Not sure why nrs is so afraid of giving sub damage, Especially when his only overheads are reactable. Prolly personal bias on their end. Cuz they sure as shit dont seem to understand balance or, how math works.

loogie

Noob
Imo damage needs to be based off highest damage that can be done on any character off 1-2 bars.

The fact that unbreakable has to catch a mistake 3-4 times to take a round is really killing it when you only need to get caught twice by more than half the cast.

Not sure why nrs is so afraid of giving sub damage, Especially when his only overheads are reactable. Prolly personal bias on their end. Cuz they sure as shit dont seem to understand balance or, how math works.
b2 is not only reactable, it is also punishable ... and that's what 99% of the community don't know or don't do in a match vs Sub.

Braindead

Imo damage needs to be based off highest damage that can be done on any character off 1-2 bars. Characters regardless of kit shouldnt be gimped on damage regardless of combo complexity. Making a charatcer overwhelming stronger just because "muh inputs are harder" os stupid. And that isnt even the case in nrs's case. (Lookin at you pred)

Unbreakable can have up to about 150% health though, so it can take your opponent 4 to 5 combos as well to kill you not 2, just like how much it would take unbreakable to kill the opponent. I'm pretty sure this is NRS' reasoning behind his damage.

Eitherway, his corner damage is fine. He can easily get 40% with one bar and mid 30%s meterless. And you can corner carry your opponent from anywhere on the screen.

I think his offense is fine, but I'm emo because I wanted him to get defensive buffs and he didn't. They gave him a sort of offensive buff which doesn't really do much.

I GOT HANDS

Unbreakable can have up to about 150% health though, so it can take your opponent 4 to 5 combos as well to kill you not 2, just like how much it would take unbreakable to kill the opponent. I'm pretty sure this is NRS' reasoning behind his damage.
That's bad reasoning by NRS tho, because assuming you dedicate your entire bar all game you are still unlikely to have it up for every hit. And then you are playing with no meter.

However if I breaker once on the start of a 40-50% combo im already at like 140% health

EX-Aura sucks donkey balls

Lokheit

Noob
Honestly, I don't think Unbreakable aura needed to apply a damage penalty, I wouldn't demand a change, but I don't think it was necessary. Grand Master can do the exact same thing (harder execution, granted) with an EX Clone and it doesn't have a penalty. I guess they went this route with UB and Deceptive Reptile (have to check it but I guess he has it too) with their new "auras into combos".

0.85 might be a bit high considering that some EX stuns in the game are 0.95 (like any regular jab), but I guess there is justification and they didn't want to buff it too much.

Now, what doesn't have any logical explanation is giving it to the normal one too, as you can't use it to keep a combo going and it nullifies the damage buff it gives to the ice bomb that was introduced on the same patch (in fact you deal less damage even with the improved bomb if you activate the aura during a combo to benefit from the increased damage... which doesn't make much sense).

IMO Unbreakable right now suffers an identity crisis, it's supposed to be defensive, but the aura is now used to extend combos and you can consume it to deal more damage... but the point of the aura is to keep it on to defend yourself... and if you keep it on you can't cast it again to extend a combo... so you have to consume it... but you have low damage because the aura will protect you, so you need it active... (etc)

Last edited:

Braindead

IMO Unbreakable right now suffers an identity crisis, it's supposed to be defensive, but the aura is now used to extend combos and you can consume it to deal more damage... but the point of the aura is to keep it on to defend yourself... and if you keep it on you can't cast it again to extend a combo... so you have to consume it... but you have low damage because the aura will protect you, so you need it active... (etc)
This 10000000%

crosshair271

Sub-Xerox
Now, what doesn't have any logical explanation is giving it to the normal one too, as you can't use it to keep a combo going and it nullifies the damage buff it gives to the ice bomb that was introduced on the same patch (in fact you deal less damage even with the improved bomb if you activate the aura during a combo to benefit from the increased damage... which doesn't make much sense).
You can link a combo off the regular Aura just like Reptiles Noxious gas. Try B12xxAura, 11/F42/B12/242. They all link. I just omit the freeze and do B12xxAura, 242, Run, 1, B12xxAura Ice Burst. Because of this link capability off regular Aura I think that's why they added damage protection.