What's new

General/Other - Unbreakable Unbreakable aura got a "nerf".

Lokheit

Noob
You can link a combo off the regular Aura just like Reptiles Noxious gas. Try B12xxAura, 11/F42/B12/242. They all link. I just omit the freeze and do B12xxAura, 242, Run, 1, B12xxAura Ice Burst. Because of this link capability off regular Aura I think that's why they added damage protection.
Just tested it and you're right (though it's a bit tight and you can only get it out of B12 apparently, don't know why it's not happening with F4Aura)... BUT, just checked the other example you gave, Reptile, and turns out Reptile's Noxious cloud, while really tight to get DOES NOT apply a damage penalty while regular frozen aura does.

I also tested some stuff:

Deceptive Reptile applies a penalty of just around 0.98 with its EX invisible into combo (doesn't seem to be able to do it with the regular one). This one is really weird because most moves apply penalties ended in 5 or 0 and this one is lighter than a regular jab (most moves apply 0.95). The 0.98 is probably 0.975 (will try some specific situations to find the right number as roundups are a bit misleading) but still weird and is the lowest one I've ever seen (and I've been studying it a lot, during the next few weeks I'm releasing a full guide about damage scaling and it has been months taking notes of every possible scenario, so far didn't see a penalty lighter than 0.95, though I haven't checked every single move).

Unbreakable Sub-Zero applies a much heavier penalty of 0.85 with both his regular and EX Auras into combo.

Noxious Reptiles doesn't apply a penalty at all using the cloud if he manages to keep the combo (3,4,cloud have enough frames for that).

Grand Master Sub-Zero doesn't apply a penalty when he uses the EX Clone during a combo to keep it going.

So basically the newly introduced "active aura into combo" (Unbreakable and Deceptive) moves got a damage penalty (almost unnoticeable in the case of Reptile) even if they don't hit (like run cancelling a special move does), while similar stuff that could be done before doesn't apply any penalty. I see a game design inconsistency here and honestly I think those 2 moves could've stayed without damage penalties without any balance problems (again, Deceptive's got a weird lowest in the game penalty so almost like he didn't and the world didn't end). Unbreakable's being 0.85 seems to be too much considering Deceptive's is more useful during combos and counts as a regular job.

Last edited:
Like the others have said before me i believe his issues are his defense. The damage to me seemed to get buffed along with his reset using the ice aura. What needed to be touched was the parry IMO. Cryo and GM have plenty of damage if thats what your looking for. But honestly im just glad we got buffs

crosshair271

Sub-Xerox
Like the others have said before me i believe his issues are his defense. The damage to me seemed to get buffed along with his reset using the ice aura. What needed to be touched was the parry IMO. Cryo and GM have plenty of damage if thats what your looking for. But honestly im just glad we got buffs
Well really I feel people are looking at Barrier the wrong way. If you want to stop chip damage from projectiles that's what Aura is for, EX for reduced damage too. The Barrier to me was poorly implemented but as it stands it needs to be used to stop pressure like strings with gaps not as an anti projectile tool.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Unbreakable is the only SZ who's variation specific specials don't clearly define his gameplay. Everything should have revolved around the parry, but instead it's high risk/ low reward. Aura should have stayed a support component. As it sits, we can barely apply safe aura pressure. We can spend a bar, but even then it's risky.

If you guys aren't familiar with Haku-men from Blazblue, I'd recommend looking at his character design/ parry. While fundamentally different, that was more the direction NRS should have gone when making our defensive variation.

We're more afraid of the frost/ ice barrier than our opponents are, and that alone should send up a red flag. I'm grateful for the buffs that make him "usable" but let's be real... They fucked up making Unbreakable.

tafka Djinn

One for three off the roof
If you guys aren't familiar with Haku-men from Blazblue, I'd recommend looking at his character design/ parry. While fundamentally different, that was more the direction NRS should have gone when making our defensive variation.
While that would have been awesome, it would also have reduced me to a quivering puddle of rage. I can't tell you how many times I've poked into that beautiful/stupid thing.