What's new

UMK3 Tier list discussion

Lex

MKKhanzo: Ded is from Bulgary jahha
Sugar is the best at UMK3 because I said so. Along with ROFL

...now sucking my dick, Miley Cyrus wins that one. coughroflcough
man watch out, in like 10 years ull be chatting on the internet and noobs r gunna flame j00

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Getting back to the recent topic:

You don't need a fast sweep to simply avoid projectiles, but a fast sweep is beneficial vs characters like Kitana and Nightwolf. It eliminates a part of their game, and the timing required to sweep their rush, especially in fast situations, just isn't there online, giving them back the advantage in some ways and creating false critical points. It changes their tactics, making them less effective because what they normally do doesn't work as well vs sweepers. I mean, if you can't understand that I don't know what else to say.

The difference between a good Stryker and a good Reptile is huge. If only an expert Reptile can be in the top 10, then only a God Stryker can as well. Reptile has big combos and very useful tactics, plus invisibility. There's no way he isn't in the top tier because some of you think he's too hard to use. He wasn't hard to use back in the day, maybe it's just the level of competition on XBL has reached a plateau. Everyone in the top 10 has a combination of factors going for them, and as the tier list goes lower, the characters have less and less overall options, strengths, etc. Getting down to the bottom, low combos, weak tactics, nothing very special, abusive, etc, and true difficulty of use. Stryker has big combos, but no truly useful tactics, not to say he doesn't have unique tactics. Scorpion's damage is dependent on punishment, but he has the teleport and air throw. If he had big ground damage...well he'd be Human Smoke, and in the top tier.

I am actually very surprised no one has tried to argue down Jade to the bottom tier yet.

When I mentioned the exaggerated and dishonest match ups for Stryker, it was because of how little explaining there was and the almost arbitrary comparisons. There is very little taking into account of the other characters obvious strengths over Stryker. Stryker is absolutely not top tier.

Darxyde was the one who said that a good Stryker is top tier, I went further to say the same could be said about a few other characters, but that again just shows the effort vs efficiency. Throwing around the words "good" and "great" to differentiate character potential starts to become subjective. While many people think I have a great or even expert Reptile, I would only consider him to be a borderline good/great. Although is there a difference between great and expert? I dunno, it's a weird way to word things. I can push him to top 3 only sometimes. Ded's would be expert, and an expert Reptile is top 3, as one bad teleport from Human Smoke = end of round, and technically one bad spin with Kabal, or, one pop up from Reptile, or one stray force ball. That's where the difference comes into play. The reason why that is important is because most of what Reptile does would lead to the infinite. A good Reptile should be breaking 50%, and if a good Stryker also breaks 50%, then that means it comes down to their tactics, and Reptile is far superior.

I post reasonable responses to people and I try to sort out what might be misinformation. If you didn't notice, there was a good stretch where I didn't even bother responding to things people said because it was so ridiculous. Netplay hurts tactical characters. I find it funny that you see Lex's point when he says that netplay is no good, and you even compare it to playing basketball outdoors, but you argue til the end of time with me. You say you play 2 people regularly offline, that you played in the past, and that's great, but your singular experience isn't enough.

As has been stated, aside from a few infinites, most of which are unusable in gameplay, there's been nothing earth shattering discovered by anyone in years. It's one thing when people discuss the tier list, but you yourself said there is no right or wrong answer. So, I will just allow people to post whatever they want, in fact, here's an idea.

Anyone who wants to keep posting their personal tier lists, do it up. Whether you want to explain it or not. I am going to work on a character over time with just strengths to start, and make some kind of points system. This system will of course not factor in tournament outcomes, character selection and tournament appearance frequency, or player strategy at all. It's not going to be a traditional tier list concept, but it'll be a different list, maybe even something similar to that of Kombat Veteran's Fantasy Matrix he never did. I will check this thread for that info in a month.

Lex

Getting back to the recent topic:

You don't need a fast sweep to simply avoid projectiles, but a fast sweep is beneficial vs characters like Kitana and Nightwolf.
you should find a way to counter any projectile with a sweep because its offense + defense (which is more useful then knowing how to infinite with reptile)

It eliminates a part of their game, and the timing required to sweep their rush, especially in fast situations, just isn't there online, giving them back the advantage in some ways and creating false critical points. It changes their tactics, making them less effective because what they normally do doesn't work as well vs sweepers. I mean, if you can't understand that I don't know what else to say.
essentially, sweep at a specific interval so you know when its possible for them to attack and plan out a counter. you are baiting them to attack at a specific timing which you can stuff with like kano's up ball. thats how you get someone out of a turtle situation. toss em a bone.

The difference between a good Stryker and a good Reptile is huge. If only an expert Reptile can be in the top 10, then only a God Stryker can as well. Reptile has big combos and very useful tactics, plus invisibility. There's no way he isn't in the top tier because some of you think he's too hard to use.
ya hes not top tier cos of his infinite. you can confuse the shit out of ppl with reptile. try not doing the infinite all day ;)

Stryker has big combos, but no truly useful tactics, not to say he doesn't have unique tactics.
baton toss whiff, rj (throw/jump check). its pretty funny catching someone playing defensive with that and going into rj rj jk gun inf.

Scorpion's damage is dependent on punishment, but he has the teleport and air throw. If he had big ground damage...well he'd be Human Smoke, and in the top tier.
he has an axe! see how many times you can hit someone with it in a round - Paulo Garcia

I am actually very surprised no one has tried to argue down Jade to the bottom tier yet.
lol. "u got kabal <.<"

A good Reptile should be breaking 50%, and if a good Stryker also breaks 50%, then that means it comes down to their tactics, and Reptile is far superior.
2 mistakes is usually how it goes in tourney play

I find it funny that you see Lex's point when he says that netplay is no good, and you even compare it to playing basketball outdoors, but you argue til the end of time with me. You say you play 2 people regularly offline, that you played in the past, and that's great, but your singular experience isn't enough.
but i play on xbox live and i watch videos too!

As has been stated, aside from a few infinites, most of which are unusable in gameplay, there's been nothing earth shattering discovered by anyone in years. It's one thing when people discuss the tier list, but you yourself said there is no right or wrong answer.
the tier list is pretty much based off of wavenet play (including infinites). you guys really should play the game without infinites and get out of street fighter land (doing the same shit over and over)

homie i had the first mk on it's release date for genesis when i was like 6 or 7 years old. I played all of them in the arcades, u/mk3 was always my favorite arcade game of all time. It's not like I just picked it up in late 06 without a clue.
Your point is? I have also been playing this game since I was a knee high and I am still shit at it, the only reason I got better was because I came to this site to learn.

Next time could you please stick to the topic and not tell me what you think I think. I do not think EVERYONE is predictable, if you can quote me saying that then I will eat my hat.

I realise now that reptile deserves his spot because his invisibility is a massive advantage, my housemate has been practicing with him a LOT recently, especially turning invisible and staying invisible. With certain characters I just couldn't find him and he would laugh his arse off. A good character against reptile is reptile, the dash seems to be one of the most effective moves to find him, even though it is easily blocked and the force balls are great too since you can zone most of the lower part of a stage. Its risky though as they take far too long to release. Reptile is a beast...

BTW, what are the most axes nightwolf can do in a combo? is it 3? I know that if your shang you can GE, then turn into NW and get loads of axes. How many are possible with shang? Any tips on getting the last axe or two to connect? is it just a run cancel or do I run cancel, aaHP, axe?

Derek

Noob
Your point is?
He's trying to say that he's not a scrub and he didn't just start playing this game as soon as it came out on XBL. MistaKM knows what he's talking about to a large extent. While I don't agree with his points towards certain characters and where he places them on the tier list, he still has a very valid opinion because of how go he is and many things he is saying should be taken into consideration.

He's trying to say that he's not a scrub and he didn't just start playing this game as soon as it came out on XBL. MistaKM knows what he's talking about to a large extent. While I don't agree with his points towards certain characters and where he places them on the tier list, he still has a very valid opinion because of how go he is and many things he is saying should be taken into consideration.
I don't doubt that he knows what he is talking about, but his statement that I quoted doesn't say anything like that. It SEEMED to me that he was saying that he has been playing this game for a long time, therefore he must know what he is talking about, not true.
I know a few people who have played this game a lot since MK1 was first released and they are shit, it's not how long you have been playing that makes you good, it is what you know and how you use it to your advantage that makes you good. His post did not say any of that, it seemed a bit odd to me for him to say something like that.

Lex, get on XBL, its not all bad. ;)

Lex

i think bill said he wasnt a noob. in fact he said it several times. then he understood that the best players in the game were on a lagless network progressing farther than any playerbase in its time. if you werent from chicago and played wavenet, you really didnt want to play anymore after you lost. i think ive said this a few times as well simply because ppl always come out of the woodwork and say "im not a noob" and end up not playing the game anymore

I actually think I have a harder time with reptiles that don't constantly go for "big combos" as opposed to ones that focus more on game play, but I still really don't think reptile is as good as nightwolf, ermac or robo smoke, but I'm not as evolved as lex or shock to really know I guess, but I also see all those characters as great counter picks against reptile

Who is reptile a good counter for anyways? I kind of see Kabal, but then again I can see it going either way with the fireball and just coming down to over all player skill and mistakes..maybe sindel and kano too but I just see like every character as a counter to reptile that are around his tier placement above and below

I actually think I have a harder time with reptiles that don't constantly go for "big combos" as opposed to ones that focus more on game play, but I still really don't think reptile is as good as nightwolf, ermac or robo smoke, but I'm not as evolved as lex or shock to really know I guess, but I also see all those characters as great counter picks against reptile

Who is reptile a good counter for anyways? I kind of see Kabal, but then again I can see it going either way with the fireball and just coming down to over all player skill and mistakes..maybe sindel and kano too but I just see like every character as a counter to reptile that are around his tier placement above and below
You SEVERELY underestimate the green ninja my friend. Let me put it in layman's terms as to why he is where he is.

Kabal. Many many reasons as to why he's 1. To put it simply. Very EASY to do combos that do a ton of damage. Spin is very easy to do. Fireballs are very fast and his run jabs are the best in the game.

Smoke. Also very EASY combos to do. Basically mistakes and it's over. Male Ninja properties help and hurt him. His combos are not as EASY to do as Kabal's though. Still not too hard to do unlike....

Kung Lao. His properties are a big help here. He can't be juggled very easily which heps alot versus people like Smoke and Reptile. The biggest reason he is where he is though is his anywhere anything infinite. Not overly hard to do but still not easy enough to bump him up to spot 1 or 2. Nor does he really have that much going for him. No matter how good you are at his infinite, you still have to rely on the enemy sleeping to get them hit by it. You can be very good at it, but they still always need to phsycally walk into it on accident.

Kano. His High combo ability mixed with his good offensive properties(Sweep, Run Jabs, ect) put him here. Not to mention that godly cannonball. Airthrow is a plus as well.

Reptile belongs where he does because of the same reason as Kung. His Infinite ability. If your GOOD enough, 1 mistake and it's done. 1 Jump into an aahp, 1 Unblocked pop up, 1 unblocked forceball, ect. Not to mention invisibility and his Male Ninja Properties help him out too. This makes him sound like he's at number 1. The problem is how hard it is to actually put that into practice. It's not easy. it really isn't. Few have mastered it. Regardless of how hard it is though the potential is still always there. Efficiency, Damage per combo, Properties, all of that comes into effect.

Also, Reptile can counter a few people. Kabal, Un Sub, Masked Sub, Cyrax, Mileena, Sindel, Jax, Stryker. Basically anyone with a very forward offense, or has a special move that makes them stand still. Teleporters are obviously a counter for Reptile, as well as people who can rush TOO fast such as Nightwolf or Sonya.

Derek

Noob
why a med-low player can pull of those punishers and his he can punish kabal easy
Kabal's spin is part of what makes him top tier. He has the second best rushing game only second to Nightwolf. Everything about him is very good. All of his normals a very good, RH, Uppercut, Jabs, Sweep, etc. Your best option at beating Kabal is to pick H. Smoke, Ermac, or Nightwolf based on sheer damage per combo. Kabal dictates the match(if the player is anywhere near the range of decent). If said player wants to rush the whole game he can and will. If he wants to turtle the whole game and spam AFBs he can. Even scrubs can pick up Kabal and play him decently because of the spin. He literally runs circles around the rest of the characters in UMK3 with H. Smoke being the only competitor for top tier but even then I don't believe it's that close between the two of them.

Kabal's spin is part of what makes him top tier. He has the second best rushing game only second to Nightwolf. Everything about him is very good. All of his normals a very good, RH, Uppercut, Jabs, Sweep, etc. Your best option at beating Kabal is to pick H. Smoke, Ermac, or Nightwolf based on sheer damage per combo. Kabal dictates the match(if the player is anywhere near the range of decent). If said player wants to rush the whole game he can and will. If he wants to turtle the whole game and spam AFBs he can. Even scrubs can pick up Kabal and play him decently because of the spin. He literally runs circles around the rest of the characters in UMK3 with H. Smoke being the only competitor for top tier but even then I don't believe it's that close between the two of them.

i get where u going but i think a good H.Smoke can beat a good Kabal

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Kabal is a complete character. His combos do enough damage in combination with the usage of his spin. His rush down leads to openings for his spin, which is a containment that has ground and air properties, and reset properties. It is virtually impossible to cross him up. He has an air fireball with no limit of usage. He has relaunches on some characters. He has good damage ground combos. His mix ups and 50/50s are ridiculous. He has supreme pressure and the option to turn it into keep away in an instant that just leads to damage. His run jabs result in throws due to situations and range and his throw does almost 20%. Overall, his tactics are ridiculous. When it comes down to H Smoke vs Kabal, even with Smoke's teleports, Kabal has ways around him.

Reptile is not in the top 10 merely because of his infinites or even his standard juggles, but his standard 50% pop ups, punisher and aa counters do push him from the lower 3rd of the top tier to the middle of it, and that is something every Reptile player should be able to do. If they can't, they aren't a good Reptile player, even if that's all they can do they aren't. However, if they focus only on tactics, where Reptile does not even require huge combos to win either and that is an even better Reptile player. Those infinites and extended combos, once mastered, used in conjunction with his tactics, bring Reptile even higher than the middle of the top tier. That is taken into account for efficiency which is why he is in the middle. Lowering Reptile's rank to below top tier by saying breaking 50% for example is too hard, is an insult to the potential of players. Saying his timing intensive infinites are difficult is however reasonable. Anyone who can't break 50% with Reptile hasn't spend the couple hours it might take to learn the rhythm. Infinites do not = skill but they do help people win matches.

Droopy

Noob
Agreed. Kabal is MK3's Sub-zero. Noob friendly but definitely top tier.

Meh I'll argue more about reptile if I play a "good" one offline whose around my player skill level or higher, but for now I just think some people favor him and have my bias opinions :p