What's new

UMK3 League. Divisions/Standings/Rules/Schedules and Comments

Oh, well in that case I'll just bust out some hacks and start big downloads on my computer during matches. There's a reason fighting game tournaments have counterpicking systems in place. Competitive gaming is supposed to be about who's better at the game, not who can pick the better matchup every round. I joined the league to participate in some fun competition, but now it seems I'm faced with the options of either grabbing a stopwatch or dropping out. I'll stick with it for now, but there's no sense in playing in a non-competitive league.

Oh, well in that case I'll just bust out some hacks and start big downloads on my computer during matches. There's a reason fighting game tournaments have counterpicking systems in place. Competitive gaming is supposed to be about who's better at the game, not who can pick the better matchup every round. I joined the league to participate in some fun competition, but now it seems I'm faced with the options of either grabbing a stopwatch or dropping out. I'll stick with it for now, but there's no sense in playing in a non-competitive league.
The league is still competitive under your reasoning, pick top tier characters that you feel you can win with no matter who the other person picks. You are good with cyrax from what I can gather, maybe your opponent didn't feel confident enough pick a low level character against your low level character and so picked a character they wanted to pick and not what you wanted them to pick.

Noob
Pink Godzilla, I'm not sure what to say to you other than pick a better character. For all intents and purposes, using any character aside from Shang, Mileena, and Sheeva, could be considered counter picking against Cyrax. Dropping out isn't the answer though, nor is complaining about losing.

Noob
I'm off to work with no promises that I can be online. Please be aware, there are a few changes in the works for the league due to a few dropouts(we expected a few people to drop out). Division 5 may be completely removed and the players remaining added to other divisions which means schedules will have to be re-done. For now, continue playing your weekly opponents until the schedule has been revised.

Outstanding Matches for Week 2:

mkvids dot net vs. Pink Godzilla - I'm aware of the problem via email and I'll do what I can to sort it out via re-schedule and help you guys connect to each other.

Paralyzer vs. LilLoco562 - no email from both of you, double no-show pending.

that's it for outstanding matches, however,as I said,there are a few problems being sorted out at the moment. I expect I'll have them taken care of by Sunday the latest.

I'm sorry but right now counter picking is the name of the game. Pink, the double blind picks you were talking about last night are a great. That system sounds very reliable. Circumstance just doesn't allow that to happen.

So what are the next matchups?

Regarding counter picking, me and Kiki had a very fair system. Just take turns picking first. Best way to do it.

All characters can be beaten with whoever. The only think that makes any certian character strong is, "the player". It's a league, and, it's just for fun. if someone counter picks and you say to yourself i'm going to lose, then your probley right, cause your not putting the kind of effert in the match you normally would cause you already said to yourself, "i'm going to lose"...

Noob
All characters can be beaten with whoever. The only think that makes any certian character strong is, "the player". It's a league, and, it's just for fun. if someone counter picks and you say to yourself i'm going to lose, then your probley right, cause your not putting the kind of effert in the match you normally would cause you already said to yourself, "i'm going to lose"...
Paralyzer, please email me the status of your Week 2 matches.

Summoning Im sending you and PM and posting this here after seeing how long it took you to play gameover I'm not going out of my way to play you. I'll send an fr on live and thats it you invite me when you're ready and see me on

PS we're playing tonight GameOver like planned it's going down hahahaahah but seriously I dont have a game play plan yet but it's def gonna involve formation Lebron James and some sexy sonya work out tapes

The league is still competitive under your reasoning, pick top tier characters that you feel you can win with no matter who the other person picks. You are good with cyrax from what I can gather, maybe your opponent didn't feel confident enough pick a low level character against your low level character and so picked a character they wanted to pick and not what you wanted them to pick.
Pink Godzilla, I'm not sure what to say to you other than pick a better character. For all intents and purposes, using any character aside from Shang, Mileena, and Sheeva, could be considered counter picking against Cyrax. Dropping out isn't the answer though, nor is complaining about losing.
I'm not talking about just having a better matchup, I'm talking about waiting for your opponent to choose a character and then purposefully choosing a character who does well against their choice. By the way, Sheeva and Mileena do well against Cyrax.

I'm sorry but right now counter picking is the name of the game. Pink, the double blind picks you were talking about last night are a great. That system sounds very reliable. Circumstance just doesn't allow that to happen.
I understand that double blind picks can't really be used in this circumstance, but there's other methods like winner chooses first and taking turns choosing first.

Play anyone first to ten normally, then play them first to ten with Sheeva vs. Sonya. See the difference.

It dont matter if u counter pick...if u a good player u can win anyway...
That doesn't make it fair.

Noob
The fact of the matter is that in anything considered competative, even if it's also fun, you can expect some severe whoring of the top tiers. I'm a Human Smoke user. He's not only my char. of choice b/c he's a better version of Scorpion(my fav. character overall), but he's 2nd on the tier list. He's who I'll be using in most of my matches. I think it could have been predicted that Kabal, H.Smoke, Kung, and Reptile were going to be seen a whole lot in the league.

So to think that Cyrax, unless your so insanely better than all others(in which case you'd be in a higher division) would compete and win against Kabal and the likes, is just silly. Even if you're evenly matched, skill wise, then the tiers take effect. Easier high damage combos with Kabal and H.Smoke, vs. difficult to set up traps with high damage or multiple low damage combos with difficult setups for Cyrax. Basically 2 mistakes vs. HSmoke and it's over. Cyrax needs more than that, unless you're that good at setting up the high damage bomb combo...and your opponent doesn't know what to do to avoid them.

The fact of the matter is that in anything considered competative, even if it's also fun, you can expect some severe whoring of the top tiers. I'm a Human Smoke user. He's not only my char. of choice b/c he's a better version of Scorpion(my fav. character overall), but he's 2nd on the tier list. He's who I'll be using in most of my matches. I think it could have been predicted that Kabal, H.Smoke, Kung, and Reptile were going to be seen a whole lot in the league.

So to think that Cyrax, unless your so insanely better than all others(in which case you'd be in a higher division) would compete and win against Kabal and the likes, is just silly. Even if you're evenly matched, skill wise, then the tiers take effect. Easier high damage combos with Kabal and H.Smoke, vs. difficult to set up traps with high damage or multiple low damage combos with difficult setups for Cyrax. Basically 2 mistakes vs. HSmoke and it's over. Cyrax needs more than that, unless you're that good at setting up the high damage bomb combo...and your opponent doesn't know what to do to avoid them.
You aren't listening. I'm not talking about matchups. I'm talking about people choosing characters based entirely on what you chose.

Counterpicking is fair. If it REALLY gets on your nerves grab a stopwatch. After 2 games of this I promise they'll stop.
No, counterpicking is not fair. If it was fair, fighting game tournaments wouldn't do anything about it.

Why grab a stopwatch?
So you can tell exactly when the timer for choosing your character will run out.

Seriously, there is no issue here Pink Godzilla. You can't force people to pick what you feel is fair, just deal with it.

Houzi

Noob
Idk about Xbox, but DS has infinite time on character select screen. Which sucks ass because some kids just wait until you pick a character and then never pick a character and then just have their DS on their charger and wait for you to get a disconnect. Either that or they wait until they think you're not looking and then try to beat your ass in the game.
Funny story about that, this kid did that same shit to me but I was sitting there on my computer with the volume up and laying the DS next to me, then I heard the kid FINALLY pick a character after like 1 1/2 hours and then I picked up my DS and was fucking him up for like 4 seconds and he disconnected. FUCKING DS players suck balls.

**Although it hasn't happened to me in a LONG time.........thank god**

You are discussing how to keep the picking of characters fair, you may mean in general and other fighting games, but then you're 'discussing' in the wrong thread. Since THIS league is all online and the rules allow for players to pick any character they like, you should either move this 'discussion' into a new thread or keep on topic.