What's new

UMK11 Patch Notes: 11-7-2020

Don't strawman. The core issue, at least with the introduction of customs, has already been stated.
I get your issue of things taking too long for you. But don't you think that adding a whole lot of sweeping balance changes AND allowing custom moves could possibly break alot of shit and cause more problems?

Fatal Blows weren't really fixed. The long ranged projectile ones care 0 about those changes. They still regenate after block or whiff, have armor, do the same damage no matter what and have 0 visual indication when activated.
I agree with the fatal blow argument. As much as I love the game, Fatal blows should NEVER regenerate. That's really the only thing I'm wishing they would have changed since launch. But to me the changes they added are alot and help with the little BS you have to deal with in the game.

Courante

Give all to another and save yourself
I’m so disappointed, but unsurprised, about them nerfing shit like Kitana’s Upward Fan Toss. It wasn’t broken at all. Also kind of gutted that Mileena has NO more abilities than were shown on the Kombat Kast. Do they purposefully make this game not-fun?
Nu-NRS hates fun. It seems like they bend over backwards to make things you used to enjoy less effective, fun, and easy to achieve.

The second I heard them say pre-release "Ice Clone is gone...yeah we got rid of it" I felt an alarm go off. They'd rather remove potential balance issues out the gate than take the risk, let people have fun, and then dial back accordingly.

I get you want a more accessible, less chaotic game but holy shit this game is beyond vanilla.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
You're not wrong. X at least made me want to hit the lab. I learned every fucking character in that game to some degree. I can't even be bothered to touch half the cast in 11.
And characters in X had kombos and tech worth labbing. Take any MK11 character into the lab and you'll have them mastered within 20 minutes. The majority of this cast has zero depth.

Zgf

Noob
I never expected to see customs in competitive play. That itself is huge. They made short hops more useful. Pretty much killed the poke grab meta while seriously nerfing D1 mashers. Nerfed Jacqui even more. Nerfed Fatal blows.....the meta has been shifted drastically and I haven't even listed all the changes. I don't think some of you will be happy until they scrap everything and make it MKX.
Jacqui's most significant nerf was her dash punch.

Upgraded still defies neutral and makes U2s whiff for certain characters like Sonya. Fatal Blows are still the same for most of the cast... Jax has reduced pushback on his, but Liu still pushes you out further for example. But there may be some hidden gems with the small update, we can give it a few days to test the waters.

A lot of pro players, like ArnKratos and Scar for example, are unsatisfied with the patch as well because the changes are really miniscule for such a overdue patch. Just because many people are disappointed in the patch doesn't mean they wish for it to be like MKX either.

I still wish for an MK9 remake personally :)

DeftMonk

Noob
Sounds like it to me, and not just plus frames but offense in general but why only most attacks?

And why not special moves??

I swear to god the inconsistencies.
This just seems like it will be easier to be frame perfect with staggers that is all. I haven't played in awhile, did they make short hops have a crushing mechanic (immunity) to d3 ? cuz this just says theres a new crushing property to d1. Some character's d3 is more dangerous to knock you out of the air than their d1 lol. Lol what in the fuck? short hop now makes u immune to nut punch. Guess I will have to change my gamer tag from "d1nutpunchallday" damn.

I don't understand NRS' logic behind neglecting so many custom variation moves when that's such a large part of this update, yet there are several characters who basically don't get to participate and are still locked to tournament variations.

I really want to know what they've been doing all this time, cause it sure as hell wasn't going over special moves other than whoever is keeping such a watchful eye over Shang Tsung's damage output.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
I’m so disappointed, but unsurprised, about them nerfing shit like Kitana’s Upward Fan Toss. It wasn’t broken at all. Also kind of gutted that Mileena has NO more abilities than were shown on the Kombat Kast. Do they purposefully make this game not-fun?
Besides the unbreakable off of amp up fan, whatever combo you were doing yesterday, you can do today. Nothing really changed. Just needs a slight bit more execution

Apex Kano

Kano Commando main MKX
I agree with the fatal blow argument. As much as I love the game, Fatal blows should NEVER regenerate. That's really the only thing I'm wishing they would have changed since launch. But to me the changes they added are alot and help with the little BS you have to deal with in the game.
Agreed! I lost a game cause dude fatal blow regenerated 3 times and it was a super tight fight with good reads, but if you failed a FB once and lose it, this would been a win for me. The regenerated FB is very scrubby but casual feed like this game caters toward.

Obly

Ambiguous world creator
Make all the excuses for NRS that you want to make. Dead special moves shouldn't exist over 1.5 years after the release of a game . Especially when this is your supposed big change to the game.
I'm not making excuses for NRS; I'm just trying to give them the benefit of the doubt (for now).

I'm pissed off too. I play Robocop, who was and clearly still is the worst character in the game. He needs a lot of help, and yet I would've been happy to see just a couple of the most obvious, glaring, "no shit, sherlock" fixes. Not only did he get no real buffs, the universal reduction in knockdown advantage actually makes him worse than he already was. I seriously want to beat someone with my controller about it.

All I'm saying is, no we didn't get everything we should've gotten, but we did get some good things. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Also, how was NRS reasonably supposed to balance moves that have never been used competitively before? They'd be pissing in the dark, and who knows what else might get splashed by the side spray...? The game could easily have gotten worse, not better.

I'm willing to give them a little more time. Wait for them to start receiving new MU data and for new tier lists to come out. When they know what works and what doesn't in this new meta, we might finally get the balance patch we need. I'm certainly not giving them anymore money, and no more than a few months before I move on from the game. But for me it still feels worth waiting and seeing.

I'm not making excuses for NRS; I'm just trying to give them the benefit of the doubt (for now).

I'm pissed off too. I play Robocop, who was and clearly still is the worst character in the game. He needs a lot of help, and yet I would've been happy to see just a couple of the most obvious, glaring, "no shit, sherlock" fixes. Not only did he get no real buffs, the universal reduction in knockdown advantage actually makes him worse than he already was. I seriously want to beat someone with my controller about it.

All I'm saying is, no we didn't get everything we should've gotten, but we did get some good things. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Also, how was NRS reasonably supposed to balance moves that have never been used competitively before? They'd be pissing in the dark, and who knows what else might get splashed by the side spray...? The game could easily have gotten worse, not better.

I'm willing to give them a little more time. Wait for them to start receiving new MU data and for new tier lists to come out. When they know what works and what doesn't in this new meta, we might finally get the balance patch we need. I'm certainly not giving them anymore money, and no more than a few months before I move on from the game. But for me it still feels worth waiting and seeing.
Love the optimism,wish I had ability to be this optimistic about MK11.

Also, how was NRS reasonably supposed to balance moves that have never been used competitively before?
Because customs have always existed in the game and they've been collecting data this entire time on all matches played. Putting all these moves in the game just to ignore them is absurd.
And even though it's only been within the recent few months, there have been custom tournaments held at least.
I'd like to give them the benefit but this is honestly pretty clown shoes imo.

But hopefully you're right and the upcoming data is what gets us there, though I'm still really disappointed and it doesn't even affect my characters negatively.

trufenix

bye felicia
In this thread, seasonally dissatisfied gamers continue to complain about a game they did not enjoy on launch having not yet been fully redesigned to their liking by the people who created the launch version.

Just saying your "whatever game you swear was much better than this one" disc is right there. NRS even made sure it was backwards compatible for you so you could keep throwing it in their face (but not actually play it) for another ten years.

You could send the loudest message to NRS possible by putting the controller down and saying: no, I won't post for this, I won't support this, I won't even validate it's existence but you still watched it, you still downloaded it, you still played it, and you still logged on to this 30 year old forum to bitch about it.

And for what? One of about ten currently available triple A fighting games?

In this thread, seasonally dissatisfied gamers continue to complain about a game they did not enjoy on launch having not yet been fully redesigned to their liking by the people who created the launch version.

Just saying your "whatever game you swear was much better than this one" disc is right there. NRS even made sure it was backwards compatible for you so you could keep throwing it in their face (but not actually play it) for another ten years.

You could send the loudest message to NRS possible by putting the controller down and saying: no, I won't post for this, I won't support this, I won't even validate it's existence but you still watched it, you still downloaded it, you still played it, and you still logged on to this 30 year old forum to bitch about it.

NRS good,TYM hombres bad. Like this or 50 years of D1 Grab jinx

It just seems odd not to fix things people have pointed out for ages. And you figured in 7 months or nearly 2 years issues since the beginning or since Aftermath you could do enough testing to have all the bugs, errors and such taken care of no? Maybe all their resources went into new content instead.

grandabx

The Flameater

If no one complains, how do you figure out a solution?

People's criticism of the patch shouldn't have any effect on another's enjoyment of the game. Expecting people to be quiet about being upset about something they payed for is very selfish.

Courante

Give all to another and save yourself

People like you make me laugh. MK11 has remained uninstalled for the past year, and I still wait eagerly for a new patch to see if anything has changed. If I think the game is not satisfying, I have every right to voice my opinion.

For some reason, the mere fact that people say out loud they dislike mk11 causes mk11 stans to become indignant. I'm aware I can play any other fighting game. I do play any other fighting game. I still critique this one because I like it enough to want it to be better.

Last edited:
Who gives a shit? It's not like NRS is running a 10 million dollar offline tournament during COVID.
Just let most of the shit rock and let Champions of the Realms, those PS tournaments and whatever other online events are going on sort it out and put out a balance patch in a month or two to get rid of shit that's degenerate.

And imo the game already got worse because all those characters who have sick moves in their usual competitive presets, can mix and match that shit and get great results, while the characters that were hoping for at least their custom moves to be cool got shafted.

Obly

Ambiguous world creator
Who gives a shit? It's not like NRS is running a 10 million dollar offline tournament during COVID.
Just let most of the shit rock and let Champions of the Realms, those PS tournaments and whatever other online events are going on sort it out and put out a balance patch in a month or two to get rid of shit that's degenerate.

And imo the game already got worse because all those characters who have sick moves in their usual competitive presets, can mix and match that shit and get great results, while the characters that were hoping for at least their custom moves to be cool got shafted.
I don't disagree with you. There are two ways they could have gone about this: the cautious, conservative way, or the Wild West way. Either way would probably get to the same result. I know a lot of people would prefer Wild West. Maybe I would too, I'm not sure. I do think they were too heavy on the ban hammer; how can they collect data to see if certain moves/pairings are truly broken if they're never allowed to be played?

Even still, I can't really say that NRS was wrong to go cautious and conservative. It's their call, probably based on how they prefer to work and approach balance issues. I don't know enough about what their experience and perspective is to call them out on it.

I'll also say, "letting shit rock" might be tons of fun for the people who have cool shit to rock, but even more miserable for the people who don't. Might suck for spectators too, since those tourneys would probably boil down to a handful of super-broken variations and not much else. The conservative approach is a bit more fair, and probably more likely to push creativity and unique play styles. I'm excited to see that.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
What happened to all those "Just allow custom variations and all the characters will be good/everybody will have dirt?" people? :rolleyes:

jcbowie

...more deadly than the dawn.
What happened to all those "Just allow custom variations and all the characters will be good/everybody will have dirt?" people? :rolleyes:
Yeah, it's not like NRS nerfed any custom moves to make them practically unviable, made some combinations newly unusable together, or outright banned some custom moves from competitive play because they couldn't be bothered to balance them. This is literally the exact thing everyone asked for. :DOGE