What's new

UMK11 Patch Notes: 11-7-2020

Obly

Ambiguous world creator
  • Most Basic & Kombo Attacks now allow for button input buffer during their last 4 frames of recovery
  • Toward & Back Throws now lose trades to most other attacks and they do 10 less damage on their initial hit
These 2 changes are potentially huge buffs to offense across the board, just need to confirm if it works like it says. And if it does then this is not an underwhelming patch at all
Agreed, though I sincerely hope "Kombo Attacks" include special move cancels that reset/restand with plus frames, like Spawn's Fatal Phantasm. I want to believe it does (would be such a glaring omission otherwise), but we've all been fooled before.

Wigy

There it is...
no wonder they took so long releasing the notes. They seriously done us dirty. The fuck are the balance changes and hitbox fixes.

could give them the benefit of the doubt and say they are waiting to see how customs and universal changes (which are great) play out. But they have lost that trust ignoring issues for years while patching garbage literally nobody cares about.

Seems like yet ANOTHER bare minimum patch. I had such high hopes.

Last edited:
All the dead moves confuse me the most. And it’s taken them so long to patch things I’m worried these glaring issues will stick around for months. Completely obvious things like scorpion’s extra strings still requiring death spin to equip. Like, why?

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
That's why these giant patches are never a good idea, though. It's that way with any kind of iterative design. You're better off looping over small changes than trying to throw "one massive grenade" to change everything at once. Instead of pussyfooting around with their "1-frame here, 1 fixed animation there" for the past year, they could have been rolling out these substantive changes bit by bit.
I've been a huge proponent of NRS' soft approach to balance with MK11. Watching them remake the game every 2-3 months in MKX was a shitshow in my mind. However, there have been notable issues, including clearly top tier variation moves and garbage tier variation moves, that have existed since launch, the V3 update, and now Aftermath.

At this point, I'm quite agitated by the fact that the agreed-upon useless variations / variation moves weren't brought up to par in the Aftermath patch. We had to suffer from launch and the V3 update till a year after release only to find out variations like Kreepy Krawler, Shock Jock, Truth and Light, and Untamable were left to rot. Now, another seven months following Aftermath's disappointment in not bringing so many useless moves and variations into viability to spice up the game, a huge patch focused on fundamental changes to the game includes adding custom variations. Knowing that there's already a slew of utterly garbage moves represented in existing variations AND there's a slew of utterly garbage moves not currently in variations, you'd expect this to be the sweeping balance patch to help push forward true customization along with the integration of customs to ranked / tournaments.

lol nope. Skarlet is basically guaranteed to have a shell of Parry/Teleport/damage move. D'Vorah is guaranteed to have 1 of 3 combination options, one of which already exists as a preset variation. Jade is basically guaranteed to have a shell of Pole Vault/Air Razor-Rang/whatever. Kotal Kahn is basically guaranteed to have a shell of Command Grab/Launcher/whatever. No Sub-Zero with a brain is ever going to take Cold Shoulder. No Raiden with a brain is ever going to take the staff setup or Jo Push.

I get it. They want to support MK11 for a long time. I'm sure there'll be at least 1 more balance patch moving forward once the dust settles on customs. However, it's been over a year and a half since launch, a year since the V3 update, and seven months since Aftermath. There's been more than enough time to settle upon some basic frame changes to shit moves.

Last edited:
Was looking forward to Demon Dash. Now I fucking ask myself why not take Deathspin if it's even fucking faster on startup, doesn't switch sides midscreen and can be used to chip safely?

The move lost its whole fucking purpose and I can still choose between the moves that have been in the game since launch.

Only thing I like is being able to confirm pokes without being Luke fucking Skywalker or having to pick a DLC character.

Wrenchfarm

Lexcorp Proprietary Technologies
Disappointed that so many of the fun looking moves were either banned or nerfed into the dust. Demon Dash looked like a lot of fun, and corpse drop explosion combos were going to be a great way to up Shang's damage potential before they decided to make it hit like a wet noodle. Still happy to be able to make custom variations for character like Kotal who needed a boost, but not as excited as I expected to be by the patch.

The new characters on the other hand, I can't wait to get down with Rambo and see what he can do.

dph1990

Noob
I’m so disappointed, but unsurprised, about them nerfing shit like Kitana’s Upward Fan Toss. It wasn’t broken at all. Also kind of gutted that Mileena has NO more abilities than were shown on the Kombat Kast. Do they purposefully make this game not-fun?

Was thinking about coming back. Expected overhaul for Raiden and SZ. I wished for Storm Cell to have different input so it does not conflict with Summon Lightning thus becoming default move. Wished for Raiden to have teleport become 1 slot,for Electric Current and Electric Burst to get separated from QC(becoming standalone moves) thus being better for custom variation. What I got instead was poke nerf/buff and better jailing,Super Bolt buffs(which is still inferior to El Fly) and thats about it. First part of the changes such as jailing and frame data that kinda allowes for better anti mash strategy is something that should have been STANDARD for fucks sake,how the fuck did they not fix it till now is ABSURD. From my(Raiden) perspective I get nothing from this patch except for more consistent jailing. Trash patch and I personally wont be coming back. Just Dota od maybe try out Tekken 7

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I’m so disappointed, but unsurprised, about them nerfing shit like Kitana’s Upward Fan Toss. It wasn’t broken at all. Also kind of gutted that Mileena has NO more abilities than were shown on the Kombat Kast. Do they purposefully make this game not-fun?
It feels like they're afraid of something and so they're being overly conservative with their design. No one wants MK9 Cyrax touch-of-death kombos, but damn, we need something. Right now this game is just so dull.

I never expected to see customs in competitive play. That itself is huge. They made short hops more useful. Pretty much killed the poke grab meta while seriously nerfing D1 mashers. Nerfed Jacqui even more. Nerfed Fatal blows.....the meta has been shifted drastically and I haven't even listed all the changes. I don't think some of you will be happy until they scrap everything and make it MKX.

grandabx

The Flameater
What's not included that everybody was expecting?
Was looking for more tweaking on the system mechanics to make for a more cohesive neutral game, but it's not there.
Sandtrap still a low?
Fatal Blows with long range still don't care about recovery frames. Still regenerate on block or whiff?
Throwing is still a blind guessing game?
Normal attacks can still chip-kill?
DOT attacks still kill on their own?
Breakaways are still a horrible substitute for MKx/9 breakers (at least make breakaway force a delayed wakeup)
Where's the improvement with overall neutral play?

No tweaks to the moves that weak?

A game is nothing without a good foundation. The game is STILL littered with things that say, screw neutral and risk vs reward

Last edited:

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Nice. System changes really help every character get some much better fundamentals. Jacqui got nerfed. And we get customs, which people have been asking for for awhile. Too bad they didn't do more, but overall I'm happy.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
I never expected to see customs in competitive play. That itself is huge. They made short hops more useful. Pretty much killed the poke grab meta while seriously nerfing D1 mashers. Nerfed Jacqui even more. Nerfed Fatal blows.....the meta has been shifted drastically and I haven't even listed all the changes. I don't think some of you will be happy until they scrap everything and make it MKX.
Im not suprised, shitty community with lots of crybabies.(on this forum atleast)

grandabx

The Flameater
Make all the excuses for NRS that you want to make. Dead special moves shouldn't exist over 1.5 years after the release of a game . Especially when this is your supposed big change to the game.
Truth.

I really can't wrap my head around it. These moves have had issues for a very long time. I stopped updating my game because of how useless the patches have been.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
Don't strawman. The core issue, at least with the introduction of customs, has already been stated.

Make all the excuses for NRS that you want to make. Dead special moves shouldn't exist over 1.5 years after the release of a game . Especially when this is your supposed big change to the game.

Apex Kano

Kano Commando main MKX
Kreepy Krawler has been around since last year with the V3 update; yet Fly By, Krawler, and Flippin' Out received no buffs. Buzzed has been around since fucking launch and Ticking Time Bug received no buffs. D'Vorah is officially pigeonholed into Deadly Swarm, Widow's Kiss, Strep, and MAYBE the bonus strings.

"Customs" my fucking ass.
They don't care about Devorah it seems. If MK10 can be implement over with the new graphics I would be more happy since she was more useful there.

grandabx

The Flameater
Fatal Blows weren't really fixed. The long ranged projectile ones care 0 about those changes. They still regenate after block or whiff, have armor, do the same damage no matter what and have 0 visual indication when activated.