What's new

Ultimate Mortal Kombat 9?

Would you buy this?

• Yes, I would pay full price for a new disc!

Votes: 20 30.3%
  • Yes, but I wouldn't pay more than 30$ for it.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • Yes, but as a 20$ or less DLC upgrade only.

Votes: 20 30.3%
  • No, I'd rather keep my fight money.

Votes: 6 9.1%
  • Undecided

Votes: 4 6.1%

• Total voters
UMK9 (DLC or new disc)

MK9 fully patched, all DLC characters and costumes included, new stages, new challenges in the tower, more content in the krypt and nekropolis, a better training mode (with dummy recording), better netcode and online features, more game modes and mini games, friendships and brutalities included etc.

Would you buy that? If so, how much would you be willing to pay for it?

I was thinking about that when I wondered if NRS would be willing to patch training mode for free. Maybe a big DLC upgrade or new disc would be the best/more realistic solution (like SSF4 arcade edition).

Personally, I would be willing to pay full price for a new version of the game that IS well done, complete, stable and playable. Just a great netcode and great training mode would justify a new purchase for me tbh.

What about you?

CrashLand

Ready for Freddy
I almost want to say I'd prefer UMK9 before MK10, provided it goes way above and beyond just fixing stuff that shouldn't have been broken in the first place.

I'm very happy with MK9 but I would like to have a more perfect version of it, and I'd like to spend some time with it rather than have a completely new (rushed) game in the near future.

Give me good netcode and playable Zebron and I might even pay full price, ha

I don't understand the point in this. MK9 is made so they can update it every now and then. Sequel type games like Super Street Fighter 4 are made as updates for patches and minor changes. MK doesn't need a whole different game to implement patches that are minor. They can add these things into the game they have now, but people are too impatient to wait and see what this game becomes.

Is the game that bad now that we need a whole different game already? I certainly don't think so. The game is still very young, wait until all the dlc characters have been fully released and have been patched then I would say decide. To say their needs to be an upgrade now is way too early.

Great thread. All that you mentioned would make this game complete. Your suggestions are an MK fans wetdream. I'd pay full price for that.

I don't understand the point in this. MK9 is made so they can update it every now and then. Sequel type games like Super Street Fighter 4 are made as updates for patches and minor changes. MK doesn't need a whole different game to implement patches that are minor.
Well, you have a point but so does he. I think it is apparent by now that MK9 being perfect isn't going to be achievable for a VERY long time. Minor things like costumes are causing huge bugs both offline and online. When I think of MK9 I think about a corrupted Windows operating system. You can clean the registry, defrag hard drive, clean crap out, remove viruses but in the end, a clean format and starting fresh usually yields the best results. Just my 2 cents

aj1701

Noob
I'd pay for it, but maily for the new stuff you mention (new challenge tower missions, krypt content), not because i feel like the current game is "beta."

Even the arcade versions were patched... just not as often b/c it was expensive.

CptXecution

Brain Dead Bro
Like zerosoulreaver said....WAY too early to call upon something like this but everything you listed is a great idea but give NRS some credit...they've been working hard for us...when something wrong comes up they fix it. So as said before...give it some time and I'm sure they'll take care of us and all our needs in due time. Great idea though no doubt about it.

I don't understand the point in this. MK9 is made so they can update it every now and then. Sequel type games like Super Street Fighter 4 are made as updates for patches and minor changes. MK doesn't need a whole different game to implement patches that are minor. They can add these things into the game they have now, but people are too impatient to wait and see what this game becomes.
Thing is netcode and training mode aren't minor things they can easily add. It's not like balancing a move where it's only changing the value of a few variables. To add new features, content and games modes would mean they need to program it from scratch. I just doubt fixing training mode and online is something they can really achieve with a miracle hot fix or patch.

Zerosoulreaver said:
Is the game that bad now that we need a whole different game already?
I never said we needed a different or new game. It's still gonna be the exact same MK9 game we all love, but better, more fun and more complete. And no I don't think MK9 is that bad, but I do think there are things NRS won't be able to fix easily or quickly. And in the end, it might actually make more sense to release a new version of the game that is just better all around and has more bonus stuff.

Of course we're just talking. And I wouldn't want this to come out right now, maybe next year I dunno... But I think it would be a great idea for the future.

The thing you don't get is that netcode and training mode aren't minor things they can easily add. It's not like balancing a move where it's only changing the value of a few variables. To add new features, content and games modes would mean they need to program it from scratch. I just doubt fixing training mode and online is something they can really achieve with a miracle hot fix or patch.

I never said we needed a different or new game. It's still gonna be the exact same MK9 game we all love, but better, more fun and more complete.

Of course we're just talking. And I wouldn't want this to come out right now, maybe next year I dunno... But I think it would be a great idea.
Still too early for me to say. They are still working on things and that's really all that matters right now to me. I'm just waiting it out because the game can change anytime. NRS even said they have no idea of the future or other games. It is still a whole different game even if you just update minor things, if you are asking people to pay for an update, it's considered a new game.

Well, you have a point but so does he. I think it is apparent by now that MK9 being perfect isn't going to be achievable for a VERY long time.
You can stop right there because no game will ever be considered "perfect".

I understand the problems ppl have but I just want to see what MK9 is at it's full potential first.

VIDA

Focused Grace and Intensity
Id vote if there was a "no more than 40$" option, b/c thats the standard price for new editions nowadays.

PS I like the idea b/c not only can they add many more chars and make training mode and even add other modes (maybe even story chapters for new chars), but also b/c they can revamp movesets for default chars. For example they could replace Kang's bicycle kick with something useful, redesign x-rays, give chars more than one, maybe even totally revamp the concepts of meter management...etc.

Jelan

Aquaman is dead lel
Sounds good, but only as a DLC upgrade OR give something to those who bought the DLCs. I bought MSpoints for the first time after 3 years just to buy MK DLCs, lol.

DCT

Noob
I wouldn't mind that if

1. they gave us all those new stages, new challenges in the tower, more content in the krypt and nekropolis, a better training mode (with dummy recording), better netcode and online features, more game modes and mini games, friendships and brutalities included etc via patches and DLC for those who don't want to buy yet another version of the game they already have, I hate it when Capcom does it I sure as hell not cool with NetherRealms and WB pulling the same stunt.

2. They call it Mortal Kombat GOTY edition or Mortal Kombat gold or something along those like similar to what Bethesda does with their games and 2K did with Borderlands as Ultimate Mortal Kombat makes it sound like a whole new version of the game with new balances and exclusive charecters not made available through patching, hotfixes and DLC.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
I very much want a UMK9.

Mostly because I don't want to wait for MK10 for certain fixes, and all signs point to them going into other genres for a bit, and possibly expanding into new IP's. I can't blame them for wanting to make new games, I mean some of those dudes have been making fighting games for 20 years now, they finally have a chance to do something else, and I see them taking it.

I just hope they keep a small team on constantly updating MK9, A UMK9, then a UMK9 turbo, w/e. I think the game has great potential, but it needs work. MK9 was a great start, and IMO the best game they have ever made, and I want them to continue working on it, I don't really want a MK10 for a bit either, just because a new title means they might changes things to much, and create other problems, just work on perfecting this, and make some cool action games staring scorpion well your at it.

spongebob

ಠ__ಠ
Are people still saying the netcode is that bad? I've only played two other fighting games online (SCIV and T6) and after the patch the majority of matches I've played online are way better then matches in those 2 games. Only bas things is the desynchs but recently I've had a lot less of them.

As for an expansion or w/e I wouldn't buy it unless it was a reasonably priced DLC. I don't even see myself playing this in a year tbh and the only thing I really want now its command playback in training mode which I'm sure could be patched in.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I agree ^, honestly especially one on one unless you're playing someone from Brazil or with a shitty ass 1, 2 ping connection....

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Hmm, it really depends. It would need 2-4 new characters. All the stuff you mentioned in the OP. A record feature for online and offline matches would be nice.

Oh, and get rid of the dash and add a run button. Since it is going to be called UMK9. :irishjig:

I very much want a UMK9.

Mostly because I don't want to wait for MK10 for certain fixes, and all signs point to them going into other genres for a bit, and possibly expanding into new IP's. I can't blame them for wanting to make new games, I mean some of those dudes have been making fighting games for 20 years now, they finally have a chance to do something else, and I see them taking it.

Well that brings some hope for an MK RPG. The considerable amount of lore in this franchise and the content put into past MK games (compared to other fighters) has baffled some RPG veterans why Midway never went in that direction years ago.

Not only would they offer a completely different atmosphere that can't be pegged as sci-fi or traditional fantasy its obvious to them the content Midway could've create would be up there with Final Fantasy or Morrowwind.

This perception hasn't changed with Midway dissolving into Netherrealm.

As for the OP there are only two things I would want from an UMK. A relook at tag team mode and make the game available on the PC as well.

I don't want them to chase a Capcom business model, especially after how much work they've put into proving their value. However it would entice me if it was released. For better or worse, I think they are on the right track now. We don't need to divide the player base every 6 months, and really I doubt MK would survive Capcom's relentless take on things. MK "AE" wouldn't work. I don't even know how it works for SF.

I've read Ed Boon saying that the guys are already working on a continuation of story mode, so they're probably just going to make a full fledged sequel in 2 years. Until then, I'm down with DLC characters and ongoing technical support.

Tim Static

Adminerator
I don't want them to chase a Capcom business model, especially after how much work they've put into proving their value. However it would entice me if it was released. For better or worse, I think they are on the right track now. We don't need to divide the player base every 6 months, and really I doubt MK would survive Capcom's relentless take on things. MK "AE" wouldn't work. I don't even know how it works for SF.

I've read Ed Boon saying that the guys are already working on a continuation of story mode, so they're probably just going to make a full fledged sequel in 2 years. Until then, I'm down with DLC characters and ongoing technical support.
Umm...

UMK3, MKT, MKG...?? Its somethng theyve done before and certainly nothing just Capcom does.

VIDA

Focused Grace and Intensity
BlazBlue does it too for example as well...it's just a FANTASTIC, tried and true business model for this genre of gaming.

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.
I think NRS has established already it is NOT following the model of other companies. I truly think they are going to continue releasing DLC and patching a game until it is no longer financially rewarding to do so. Once that is done, they move on to a completely new game. I don't foresee a new version that costs the user money, especially when they're doing a pretty good job so far with DLC content.