What's new

Ultimate Mortal Kombat 9?

Would you buy this?

• Yes, I would pay full price for a new disc!

Votes: 20 30.3%
  • Yes, but I wouldn't pay more than 30$ for it.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • Yes, but as a 20$ or less DLC upgrade only.

Votes: 20 30.3%
  • No, I'd rather keep my fight money.

Votes: 6 9.1%
  • Undecided

Votes: 4 6.1%

• Total voters
I'd love a UMK9. A new XR for every character, a few new characters (or returning characters, or both), some new stages, new features, maybe the inclusion of Brutalities and Friendships. And most importantly, a bit of proper rebalancing, which would have (hopefully) been tested thoroughly before release.

I don't foresee a new version that costs the user money, especially when they're doing a pretty good job so far with DLC content.
Let's say they release 8 DLC characters in total (40$). Let's say they release Friendships (10$) and Brutalities (10$) as DLC. A stage pack (5$), bonus tower challenges (5$), more content in the krypt (5$) and an ultimate costume pack (5$).

I just spent 80$ for bonus content. But the game is still unplayable online, the training mode is still ass, DLCs are buggy and create more bugs that NRS have to fix, the game is still broken and keeps changing every month.

Sorry but at that point I'd rather buy a new disc. Netcode and training mode > everything they can add as DLC.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
it wont happen like this.

what will happen is the next game will be called ultimate mortal kombat 10...all the same characters that play the same way with a few balance tweeks and the addition of any other new characters from later games. then give us a new story mode, improved online play, and a ton of other upgrades and new costumes and i'll be happy.

Umm...

UMK3, MKT, MKG...?? Its somethng theyve done before and certainly nothing just Capcom does.
They certainly aren't going to repeat the mistakes of the 3D generation, and UMK3 was mainly to correct the mistake of leaving fan favorites out, was it not? Those decisions were made as an arcade company, and the 3D decisions were made as a casual game company.
Point is, they've put deliberate distance between the past and present, and what they want to do with the game as a product.

Theres no reason for them to time travel to a time before DLC. Making an expansion as DLC defeats the purpose of having the ability to sell individual characters and patch the game on its own. To do so now after planning 4 dlc characters and promising more since they sold well, would be shooting themselves in the foot, as they've already sold what would be considered part of the value of a UMK9. IN ADDITION, since they've established these DLC fighters, they would have to draw up even more characters that wont even be in development until after the planned DLC cycle is over, which could be years.

If they wanted to make UMK9, they would never have said "we'll keep making DLC characters as long as they sell well" and they really have no reason not to, unless they were to follow a capcom model and abandon support in favor of a new iteration.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Thing is netcode and training mode aren't minor things they can easily add. It's not like balancing a move where it's only changing the value of a few variables. To add new features, content and games modes would mean they need to program it from scratch. I just doubt fixing training mode and online is something they can really achieve with a miracle hot fix or patch.

I never said we needed a different or new game. It's still gonna be the exact same MK9 game we all love, but better, more fun and more complete. And no I don't think MK9 is that bad, but I do think there are things NRS won't be able to fix easily or quickly. And in the end, it might actually make more sense to release a new version of the game that is just better all around and has more bonus stuff.

Of course we're just talking. And I wouldn't want this to come out right now, maybe next year I dunno... But I think it would be a great idea for the future.

I like your idea for when they are "done" releasing things for this title. Kind of like Halo2 when they "finished" type deal.
The netcode and training can be patched up with just a hotfix update. Its just code... i mean they made online way better with the last update.
I honestly believe that for a fighting game of this nature to be successful, you have to focus on 3 things in this order. 1) gameplay 2) training 3) online.
they got number 1 down great. 2 and 3 are something to be desired. I'm sure in large cities its easy to have an offline scene... but where i live... ntohing. So i literally rely on online play... so I get bumf***ed by stupid things because of lag. Now i'm not one to complain... i take the lumps and go again. but not many people have that kind of paitence. I know this community wants to grow and expand, and online is where it has to start.

Gamin_Guru

Shang Bang
We as consumers should not be encouraging developers to further nickel and dime us especially with the way MK9 is setup to easily patch in additional content.

How MK9 is set up to be easily patched is one of the major things I like about the game. Other developers charging X amount of money for a redo of a game that features things they could've fixed in the first place and so called balancing can be a turn off sometimes.

Phantom

Kitana Prime aka MK's Rated R Superstar
I have reasons and limits when it comes to the subject of this issue with any game...

...but it's Mortal Kombat. I'll always eventually break down and buy whatever entry into the series they offer.

I love MK and I'll probably never stop playing it.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Dont hate on the idea of a Ultimate MK game.

Last time they gave us one, it turned out to be the best MK of all time.

just sayin.