What's new

TYM's Hot Topic of the Week: Do we ban Scorpion from tournament play?

Should Scorpion be banned from tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vogue

Noob
I have no idea what you are saying , but yeah CEO is next week and EVO is soon. Well know a lot more about Scorpion soon.

SUPARNOVAX

Low tier? I was born in it, molded by it
Ok, like I said before. I've played hundreds of games with PL & REO, by now, the 'metagame' with scorpion doesn't evolve, the only thing that changes is the times the scorpion player chooses to do their teleports.
"BUT IT'S SO DEEP AHHHHHH!!!! LEVEL UP SCRUB AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!"
~99% of the idiots in this thread defending Scorpion

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
Ive even made an entire thread going over every single interactable in the game and how to punish it.

But since it wasnt made by a "top player", it must be wrong and interactables should be banned
Or worse it has been ignored and not front paged.

Jer

I'm a literal Sloth
Ive even made an entire thread going over every single interactable in the game and how to punish it.

But since it wasnt made by a "top player", it must be wrong and interactables should be banned

I read your thread dude, being a "top player" means shit. The main thing about interactables that bug people is, is free damage, or the fact that if you MB through it, you still take damage and you might not be a char like KF/Batgirl who can actually benefit from doing this.

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
Ok, like I said before. I've played hundreds of games with PL & REO, by now, the 'metagame' with scorpion doesn't evolve, the only thing that changes is the times the scorpion player chooses to do their teleports.
In what time span? 3 weeks? Are you honestly expecting the metagame to change drastically every week?

You should know better than most how long it took for MK's metagame to be what it is today: years.

Maxter

Noob
Maxter Reporting for Duty. I agree that scorpion breaks a lot of the game rules, specially blocking back is not an option against his Teleport, I know that blocking neutral down works but this gives scorpion priority on his offensive, using hell fire and giving him free jumps at certain range because of you holding that down direction, Also his jump is a little OP specially against big hitbox characters, it is short and he can 50/50 them all day after regular teleport in combos.
One thing that concerns me is some top players crying about him and taking this as an excuse to Ban him, First of all, CD Jr rant about him last night doesn't prove a point that top players will be free to him, this was CD Jr first time playing against a scorpion and Also he doesn't play the game much, he is just well trained with superman and being a good player with good fundamentals helps him win.
Rico Suave and I were training the matchup really has problems against teleports blocking neutral down on his stick square box, even when he tries his best is not easy for him to hold neutral, guess is a bad habit from only playing street fighter at the highest level =/, so if he get beaten by scorpion is his solely fault.
About Pig complaining, most of his Rant comes from online matches and it is not easy to react to whiff teleports to punish, but in fact they are very punishable offline, correct me if i'm wrong and you have faced high level scorpions offline.
M2Dave just want to own the whole screen for himself and try to chip you to death from the other end of it and scorpion's teleport wont allow it, Also batGirl can make it hard for Zoners just in case. so stop being Lame M2Dave and Hold Dat.
I'm not gonna keep mentioning other players because i will never end this post then, but i agree that scorpion is fucked up and a Teleport like that is too abusive on a back to block game, still as players we should give this character more time and see how we adapt and evolve for fighting him, i guess it is too early to start banning a character, some characters are hard to learn to fight against, Look how scrubby doomsday was, remember how even top players used to lose to him just with shoulder charges and Ground pounds? Now poor doomsday is downloaded and fucked bad.
Lets give the game some time guys, I also believe that scorpion will get better with time and will make a lot of us suffer because of the way he plays or maybe he ends up being another doomsday who knows.
Banning a character from tournament is a disrespect to the players using him and leveling up with him, also a slap in the face to the developers for their incompetence designing a character that don't fit in the game, scorpion should be allowed in a couple of tournaments and see how he performs, 16 bit and some of the GGA guys stated that they know how to fight him and they don't agree with a ban, we should all learn the same.
On the other hand if it is proven he will dominate the tournament scene as well as casual play for years to come, i will support the Ban, or we could ask NRS to fix his teleport, not nerfing it more than it is but making it to hit the opponent in front when he disappears kind of the way BatGirl does, he can teleport the same way he does from the other side of the screen but when he appears on the other side he will have to hit in front of you, they could make start up faster possibly at same speed as batgirl but at least you will be able to keep blocking the same way you do against the whole cast, i'd rather seeing this change than a Ban.
And BTW Keep Leveling Up More And Stop Crying Less.
Adapt Or Hold Dat "That's Life"
=)

Zatoichi

Fabulous Goofball

Yeah, it's completely pointless to make a thread on here unless you're some well known member or top player.

LEGEND

YES!
If you don't attend tournaments: STAY OUT OF THIS THREAD

there are way too many people that are online warriors/people that this doesn't effect that are voting on the issue

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
I read your thread dude, being a "top player" means shit. The main thing about interactables that bug people is, is free damage, or the fact that if you MB through it, you still take damage and you might not be a char like KF/Batgirl who can actually benefit from doing this.
MB B3/F3 if spaced right should always lead to a full combo.

The only time it is free damage is if A. They set it up(like to end a combo or to lead you to it) or B. Because the other player doesnt know how to deal with it.

Dont get me wrong, Metropolis robots are BS, but 95% of the interactables are very fair and balanced.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Oh absolutely, I'm just pointing out, too bad Scorpion wasn't able to choose what poke he wanted to use in MK9. Pokes with no advantage, it's an insult to the metagame, it's not the way the game is supposed to be played.

Of course, two wrongs don't make a right, but see where I'm going with this? lol

Jer

I'm a literal Sloth
MB B3/F3 if spaced right should always lead to a full combo.

The only time it is free damage is if A. They set it up(like to end a combo or to lead you to it) or B. Because the other player doesnt know how to deal with it.

Dont get me wrong, Metropolis robots are BS, but 95% of the interactables are very fair and balanced.

Nono I agree with you, but I don't think you understood what I meant. Let's say you're playing Batman, someone throws an interactable and you eat 20%, then full combo them for 40 right, then they're knocked down and manage to get out of your pressure, okay that's cool you both did even damage.

Now say you're KF, and I MB F3 an interactable, slide into vortex then hit my vortex, that's the only time that I feel MBing really benefits, with vortex characters.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
Scorpion is just a product of bad or just lazy character design. He can be beaten but it makes the game stupid. I don't think he should be banned but I think the entire dynamic of the character should be changed. If there were more characters like scorpion it would just be a bad, random fighting game.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Nono I agree with you, but I don't think you understood what I meant. Let's say you're playing Batman, someone throws an interactable and you eat 20%, then full combo them for 40 right, then they're knocked down and manage to get out of your pressure, okay that's cool you both did even damage.

Now say you're KF, and I MB F3 an interactable, slide into vortex then hit my vortex, that's the only time that I feel MBing really benefits, with vortex characters.
I will say acrobatic characters got the short end of the stick as far as interactables go. Divekicks are punishabl(Which makes NO SENSE).

Interactables are not always fair and can sometimes cost you to lose when you shouldnt have, BUT many players use this excuse way too often and ignore ways out of them(either by ignorance or just loving to bitch)

Jer

I'm a literal Sloth
I will say acrobatic characters got the short end of the stick as far as interactables go. Divekicks are punishabl(Which makes NO SENSE).

Interactables are not always fair and can sometimes cost you to lose when you shouldnt have, BUT many players use this excuse way too often and ignore ways out of them(either by ignorance or just loving to bitch)

Were on the exact same page about them I believe.

Scorpion should be banned, but I kind of want to vote "no." Since I mostly play online, banning Scorpion from tournament play won't fix the game for me. But if he remains tournament legal... Maybe NRS will fix Scorpion once they are publicly humiliated in front of their community. But probably not.

I don't often lose to Scorpion, but I voted yes. My reasoning is that he bypasses many rules or cornerstones of this game. Being able to avoid the interactables with the teleport is totally not cool. People who actually put time and effort into learning their character and finding ways to beat others do not deserve to get beaten senseless by a mindless Scorpion. He requires no effort to use. He has huge advantages over like 90% of the cast and people are forced to use only 1 or 2 characters to stand a chance. I would even support removing him from the game. I know many will disagree, but this is my opinion.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
MK9 Scorpion is just a product of bad or just lazy character design. He can win but it makes the game stupid. I don't think he should be buffed but I think the entire dynamic of the character should be changed. If there were more characters like MK9 scorpion it would just be a bad, random fighting game.

See what I did here? You should know better than most that this character has also been stiffed on lazy design Scoot. :p

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
You ban him from a tournament before he's been in one.

Scorpion is fucking stupid, but such a big call can't be made when he hasn't been in a major yet. Wait until after CEO.
He won SEA -- that's a a major. It's just that no one does their homework on other scenes.

testyourpatience

Ya'll stingy
i guess they could try to acutally fix him first, but i'd really just like to see him removed from the game. no refunds, no need to replace him with another character, just take him out.

Status
Not open for further replies.