What's new

TYM’s Tier List Discussion Thread

Everyone says “kollector ain’t that baaaad” yet absolutely no one dares to try and pick him up. He could very well be the worst but that does not mean he is not viable
Usually the worst characters are the ones who are unviable... That's the whole purpose of a bottom tier/F tier trash character like Kotal and D'vorah..

JSF

Waiting for Injustice 3
Here's an accurate tier list by me :)
tried to make it left to right best to worst within tiers

I agree that Kollector is underrated. He has good staggers, easy unbreakable combos, good dmg, along with 2 decent KBs (throw and 2, 1+3, 4) . He does have some problems but I think hes solid mid tier and the only reason people have him so low is because no one uses him

Edit: Also 10 frame mid
I play a lot of kollector. He might seem better than other low tiers due to his command grab and good strings but he really struggles maintaining pressure as everything except f1 is minus enough to you either get punished or lose your turn completely. It seems that his maces were supposed to be how he remains safe and maintain pressure but the removal of mace and bola dash cancel really hurt him as character. I still think he is bottom 3 as most matches consist of you getting pressured for the majority of the game whether its against rushdown or zoning.

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
Where would you place Jax then
Jax is solidly mid, no higher than that - none of this high A/A+ nonsense (ppl really putting him above Kabal??). He also has more polarizing matchups than any other character I've played, including Raiden. He is forced to come in and make hard reads against most of the cast who set the pace of the MU.

He's in a really weird place because he's one of the more explosive characters in the game, and if played well he can blow out people who disrespect him. But he has some serious exploitable flaws along with a bunch of bad MUs. I could honestly write more but let's see if people try and blow me up first.

Jax is solidly mid, no higher than that - none of this high A/A+ nonsense (ppl really putting him above Kabal??). He also has more polarizing matchups than any other character I've played, including Raiden. He is forced to come in and make hard reads against most of the cast who set the pace of the MU.

He's in a really weird place because he's one of the more explosive characters in the game, and if played well he can blow out people who disrespect him. But he has some serious exploitable flaws along with a bunch of bad MUs. I could honestly write more but let's see if people try and blow me up first.
I think he is upper mid, but also think kabal is better

PreNerf_

No labels
Why are Kotal and D'vorah in C tier but not D or F? They aren't that good nor that high up.
Yea, for sure see what your saying. My brother plays kotal and I have tried lately to pick up d'vorah. She has glaring setbacks.... I have thought about the absolute best ways to play her and most of her moves are to slow to use in close. Her ovi- whatever it's called now can keep her safe, but she doesn't have a fast frame starter for combos, she puts out some of the least damage output in the game. Her fast starter leads to 15% I think. Her air to air is 18% and unless you use the 21 bug trap in combo, which leaves you with 22% damage all other bug traps can be jumped out of. She has two usable kbs and once those are gone, she has hardly any damage. And the way I figured out how to make her somewhat viable with staggers, zero frame moves, plus on hit pressure leaves her with too low of damage to win matches against good players. You basically have to play flawless with her. And you have to get four to five touches to get a win....

PreNerf_

No labels
Usually the worst characters are the ones who are unviable... That's the whole purpose of a bottom tier/F tier trash character like Kotal and D'vorah..
I agree and disagree, in the right hands a very low tier character can still be a menace if they just lab the fuck out of them and milk them for everything they are worth and play them certain ways. Look at furious pillow he hit a top 16 with kotal. Doesn't mean that kotal isn't garbage. As far as playing them certain ways. D'vorah is garbage up close if you play her like any rushdown character cause her strings are slowing startup. You use her fast starting string as an 18% get off me tool and her 21 to put you just far enough away to move back and wiff punish with her f13 starter. And you have to use her different than the rest of the cast, mostly on wiff until you get in. Once you get in you set traps and put pressure on them and when your out of meter you have to play safe and try to get solely f13 on hit then use the plus frames to jail into either her 44 or 212 or 213 you can also end anything she has with ovi-whatever-its-called-now and if you get that on hit then it garantees another f13, but if you play her like most of the cast she is not viable at all. Looking at her moveset compared to the rest of the cast the numbers make her look like trash, but if you want to play a character that is hard to get in but has pressure once you do and get hardly any damage for it then d'vorahs the one. And I mailed kollector when the game first came out and he is definitely in the bottom three... My opinion is that kotal and d'vorah fight for title of the lowest tier then kollector but in the right hands any character can be somewhat viable.

PreNerf_

No labels
I agree and disagree, in the right hands a very low tier character can still be a menace if they just lab the fuck out of them and milk them for everything they are worth and play them certain ways. Look at furious pillow he hit a top 16 with kotal. Doesn't mean that kotal isn't garbage. As far as playing them certain ways. D'vorah is garbage up close if you play her like any rushdown character cause her strings are slow on startup. You use her fast starting string as an 18% get off me tool and her 21 to put you just far enough away to move back and wiff punish with her f13 starter. And you have to use her different than the rest of the cast, mostly on wiff until you get in. Once you get in you set traps and put pressure on them and when your out of meter you have to play safe and try to get solely f13 on hit then use the plus frames to jail into either her 44 or 212 or 213 you can also end anything she has with ovi-whatever-its-called-now and if you get that on hit then it garantees another f13, but if you play her like most of the cast she is not viable at all. Looking at her moveset compared to the rest of the cast the numbers make her look like trash, but if you want to play a character that is hard to get in but has pressure once you do and get hardly any damage for it then d'vorahs the one. And I mained kollector when the game first came out and he is definitely in the bottom three... My opinion is that kotal and d'vorah fight for title of the lowest tier then kollector but in the right hands any character can be somewhat viable.
My phone likes to make me look like I'm illiterate!!! Slow on startup* mained*

This is just my opinion based on my experience with the game. I sm by no means a high level player I'm pretty mediocre and all of my experience is online.

With that said, I lab a lot because I find it fun just to figure out what is possible, and I like to know frame data for obvious reasons. I will list rank the characters S to C categorizes in no particular order.

I think it should also be said that this game is surprisingly balanced for a MK game and pretty much everyone is viable.

S Rank: Geras, Liu Kang, Sonya, Jacqui, Johnny Cage, Terminator

A Rank: Cetrion, Kabal, Cassie, Jax, Nightwolf, Shang Tsung, Baraka, Joker, Sindel, Sub Zero, Kung Lao

B Rank: Kotal khan, Frost, Noob Saibot, Kitana, Scorpion, Raiden, Kano, Kollector, Erron Black, Jade

B- Rank: Skarlet, D'vorah, Shao Khan

Like I said everyone is viable. I place dvorah low because hardly anyone can play her well. Same with shao, I've seen VGY make him work but I rarely run into one who gives me trouble.

I think Sub and Lao are both downplayed a lot. Sub does have to take risks but can be played intelligently, and has 2 really solid var. In DoW and Thin ice. Didn't K7 just win s major with him? Fighting a Lao too cmon they are clearly not trash.

Lao seems terrible on paper but is a real nuisance in his omega hat var. His damage is high, he controls the skies, has a few OK mids and he can make his other strings safe with omega hat.

I feel like the S tier is pretty self explanatory and most people will agree with all of the picks other than term whom I still stand by. His Dark Fate var. Is OD as hell.

Skarlet is a pretty meh character. Decent Zoner, by there's better ones. Her strings are full of gaps. Not many good KBs. Only 1 string that leads to real high damage (212 I believe) and its punishable on block, though you can stagger 21 and she has decent range.

Like I said no one is so bad they are inviable and a skilled player can make anyone work. The best characters at least for the most part, have many good KBs, good plus frames/stagger game and 50/50s that lead into big damage.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
This is just my opinion based on my experience with the game. I sm by no means a high level player I'm pretty mediocre and all of my experience is online.

With that said, I lab a lot because I find it fun just to figure out what is possible, and I like to know frame data for obvious reasons. I will list rank the characters S to C categorizes in no particular order.

I think it should also be said that this game is surprisingly balanced for a MK game and pretty much everyone is viable.

S Rank: Geras, Liu Kang, Sonya, Jacqui, Johnny Cage, Terminator

A Rank: Cetrion, Kabal, Cassie, Jax, Nightwolf, Shang Tsung, Baraka, Joker, Sindel, Sub Zero, Kung Lao

B Rank: Kotal khan, Frost, Noob Saibot, Kitana, Scorpion, Raiden, Kano, Kollector, Erron Black, Jade

B- Rank: Skarlet, D'vorah, Shao Khan

Like I said everyone is viable. I place dvorah low because hardly anyone can play her well. Same with shao, I've seen VGY make him work but I rarely run into one who gives me trouble.

I think Sub and Lao are both downplayed a lot. Sub does have to take risks but can be played intelligently, and has 2 really solid var. In DoW and Thin ice. Didn't K7 just win s major with him? Fighting a Lao too cmon they are clearly not trash.

Lao seems terrible on paper but is a real nuisance in his omega hat var. His damage is high, he controls the skies, has a few OK mids and he can make his other strings safe with omega hat.

I feel like the S tier is pretty self explanatory and most people will agree with all of the picks other than term whom I still stand by. His Dark Fate var. Is OD as hell.

Skarlet is a pretty meh character. Decent Zoner, by there's better ones. Her strings are full of gaps. Not many good KBs. Only 1 string that leads to real high damage (212 I believe) and its punishable on block, though you can stagger 21 and she has decent range.

Like I said no one is so bad they are inviable and a skilled player can make anyone work. The best characters at least for the most part, have many good KBs, good plus frames/stagger game and 50/50s that lead into big damage.
Sonic Fox had some success when he was using Buzzed D'Vorah and Honey Bee won an online event with Arachnophobia D'Vorah a couple of weeks ago.

I agree with your assessment on Skarlet, who was indirectly affected by the universal far teleport and and krushing blow throw changes. Hopefully, she is compensated with buffs in the next balance patch. She has been receiving nothing but nerfs since the beta.

My S and A tier characters are the following in alphabetical order.

S - Cetrion, Geras, Jacqui, Johnny Cage, Liu Kang

A - Kitana, Kung Lao, Sonya, Sub Zero, Terminator

But I feel a lot more confident about my S tier picks than my A tier ones.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Sonic Fox had some success when he was using Buzzed D'Vorah and Honey Bee won an online event with Arachnophobia D'Vorah a couple of weeks ago.

I agree with your assessment on Skarlet, who was indirectly affected by the universal far teleport and and krushing blow throw changes. Hopefully, she is compensated with buffs in the next balance patch. She has been receiving nothing but nerfs since the beta.

My S and A tier characters are the following in alphabetical order.

S - Cetrion, Geras, Jacqui, Johnny Cage, Liu Kang

A - Kitana, Kung Lao, Sonya, Sub Zero, Terminator

But I feel a lot more confident about my S tier picks than my A tier ones.
Joker and Cassie are at least as good as Sub and Terminator imo.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Joker and Cassie are at least as good as Sub and Terminator imo.
I am not certain how much of The Joker is the The Joker and how much is Sonic Fox. Besides, more data are necessary on the character so I digress.

Do you genuinely believe Cassie is top 10 when Semiij goes 0:2 at Final Kombat? I am not buying this argument whatsoever. I am not fan of the character, but I still stand by my initial reaction that she was over-normalized. The up glow kick in particular has been deemed a worthless EX move. If Semiij struggles to make the character work, who can?

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
I am not certain how much of The Joker is the The Joker and how much is Sonic Fox. Besides, more data are necessary on the character so I digress.

Do you genuinely believe Cassie is top 10 when Semiij goes 0:2 at Final Kombat? I am not buying this argument whatsoever. I am not fan of the character, but I still stand by my initial reaction that she was over-normalized. The up glow kick in particular has been deemed a worthless EX move. If Semiij struggles to make the character work, who can?
Regardless of Sonic, Joker is relatively safe, has a decently fast mid, good spacing tools and range, useful krushing blows, and good damage. I think he should at least be considered, although it's obviously still early.

Does A-list mean "top 10" though, or does it mean "Approximately as good as the other characters in A-tier?"

I'm not stating that either character is top, but I think it's conceivable that they're both as good as Sub, who you placed in A-tier.

Everyone will have different opinions, though.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Does A-list mean "top 10" though, or does it mean "Approximately as good as the other characters in A-tier?"
Top 10.

You see Kung Lao, Sonya, and Sub Zero and Kitana (albeit only Highborn and as a secondary character) fairly a good amount in competitive play. Who still uses Cassie outside of Semiij? I think she is no better than mid tier.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Semij just won a tournament with Digital Soldier. I am not buying this argument that Cassie is so bad that she can no longer compete. Obviously Semij is a great player, but Cassie has been massively downplayed. She is still good.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Well, I think next time, or all times, you should post it on the front page of the site in the news section. I mean pretty much everyone will see it. The last one was posted on the 17th of March. Posting on twitter or in the small "feed" on the left helps no one and only a tony fraction of people will see it.

The news section is prominent for a reason.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Well, I think next time, or all times, you should post it on the front page of the site in the news section. I mean pretty much everyone will see it. The last one was posted on the 17th of March. Posting on twitter or in the small "feed" on the left helps no one and only a tony fraction of people will see it.

The news section is prominent for a reason.
I should let you do news posts + tweets for a few months :D

Not to make excuses, but after having done it for a few years sans assistance, you'll see pretty quickly why it becomes a pain in the butt with no other editors. I can't really hold it down by myself for the moment, but hopefully we'll find some people again eventually.

If you'd like to volunteer, let me know :)