What's new

TWEEDY IS QUITTING AFTER CEO!? DONT DO IT!

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
He should do what he has to do. I can't begin to imagine putting in hundreds or thousands of hours into gaming to only get maybe a few thousand dollars a year. That's in of itself crazy and reckless.

How can someone support themselves and pay rent, food, bills and have a meaningful life let alone pay for a family and kids and whatnot.

It doesn't matter if your young or old. Successful or not. There's a slim chance you're going to be a top earner or ride the easy content/streaming wave and get paid.

Get a education.
Get a career.
Then follow this hobby or dream or whatever you call it.

No need to stress yourself out on what a placement or the next guy makes when your better off working or going to school to be better then that next guy.

That's the way I see it.
Pretty much nailed it here, man. Even though many of us here have had dreams of playing at a major tournament, the cold reality is that this is not a career that a vast majority of players can sustain themselves on.

Last edited:

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
If thats the case and its really that deep, then yes I support him taking a break for his mental health. Of course. But if its just placement, then hell NO! He's doing damn good to just quit on that alone.
What's really good though? 3 or 5 thousand on a weekend. Then what? Stream and practice for ungodly amount of hours to do what? Place 5th and get $650 next time or a G note if that? Maybe 1st place and you end up clearing 8G's after taxes and whatnot. Then you go to the next tourny and the next thinking you riding high only thing is your dough is getting low. But you ain't thinking that so you go for broke and that's how you'll end up.

This esports is unhealthy and deceiving. If 7th place nets you $150 and top 8G's but you know your a 10G guy then something is wrong here. That's when you ask yourself.

Is it really worth it?

You can see the prize pools for all the major tournaments. $40-60K a year on a game like MK11 is possible for 1 or 2 dominant players.

You can drive a truck for Walmart and make $70K. And you don't have to be particularly good at driving.

I'd enjoy it (as a spectator) if there were a more lucrative market for professional gamers, but global number 5 in MK 11 will likely net you a bit less than pushing a broom at your local middle school. Sad, but unless you manage to get a bunch of endorsements, YouTube, or streaming revenue that's where the numbers are.
I'm a truck driver by trade many of my friends and family have trades. My cousin put 2800 hours put into being a power line worker. Works half the year while fucking around all over the earth living like a rockstar. Me too to an extent but I love driving.

I can't imagine putting in half the amount of hours into a game with all my responsibilities, my family, my kids for this sort of thing. It's not worth it. Especially if I could work harder for a week or two and pull in what Tweedy got after taxes and then some.

He should do the right thing and not kill himself over what might be over what could be.

AbeW

Noob
You can see the prize pools for all the major tournaments. $40-60K a year on a game like MK11 is possible for 1 or 2 dominant players.

You can drive a truck for Walmart and make $70K. And you don't have to be particularly good at driving.

I'd enjoy it (as a spectator) if there were a more lucrative market for professional gamers, but global number 5 in MK 11 will likely net you a bit less than pushing a broom at your local middle school. Sad, but unless you manage to get a bunch of endorsements, YouTube, or streaming revenue that's where the numbers are.
I always worked fulltime when i played competitive. Made a lush paycheck, won local tournys, carpooled with the local dudes to cities upto 11 hrs (kept travel costs cheap), stayed in youth hostels for dirt cheap, partied it up, etc. In the end, i still had my lush paycheck from work and this was just some extra cash from something i liked to do for fun (If i managed to win). I was only in the lab studying matchups, tech, etc for about 1.5 to 2 hrs a day in tekken and that was my time commitment. And i still won a considerable amount. There is a law of diminishing returns with the time you commit here.

Most dudes think ya gotta grind for 18 hrs a day to win sht. If you're grinding for that long, you probably do not have what it takes to win in a competitive setting. It doesn't just take skill and knowledge to play FGs at a high level, it takes smarts! If ya didn't have the smarts, you can grind for 19 hrs a day and still be a failure. That is the grand truth fellas. But, most of you pros already know this right? The average pro, if he's past 25, is just a dude who's too lazy to work a real job. He might think that he may win somehow if he just racks the time committed to 18 hrs a day! (In spite of being dumb as sht)

Last edited:

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
He said he deleted some tweets that I didn't see so I'm curious what is the "Shit storm" that he has been through the last couple of months? I literally don't know much about him aside from him being really good.
The shitstorm against him was about him trashtalking WonderChef's family. This is why his old sponsor stopped sponsoring him after that. He's a good player, but a trash inner character, tbh.

If some of these guys are literally playing 16hrs per day and living a life of stress at a chance to make 40k a year.....to hell with that noise. I honestly didnt know some guys were putting in that much time for so little a reward and its not healthy at all.

I heard the overwatch league guys were playing 16hrs per day but i didnt know MK guys were doing that. Power to anyone who wants to, but damn i wouldnt blame anyone for quitting

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
If you say 16 hours a day for just 5 days of the week, the math works out to about $10 an hour equating $40k/year. I guess if you're that passionate in whatever you're doing it doesn't matter as long as the bills are paid.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
If some of these guys are literally playing 16hrs per day and living a life of stress at a chance to make 40k a year.....to hell with that noise. I honestly didnt know some guys were putting in that much time for so little a reward and its not healthy at all.

I heard the overwatch league guys were playing 16hrs per day but i didnt know MK guys were doing that. Power to anyone who wants to, but damn i wouldnt blame anyone for quitting
yeah, as a way of life, is not worth indeed ....

if and when eSports (specially for fighting games) turns into the next big thing, and get much more tons and lots of hype, global recognition with millions of fanbase paying to watch this, as they do with real sports and, more important, huge investiment and so, players can really gain a fuck amount of money (talking about 500K minimum dollars a year) .... so, only in this scenario, people might could consider living only by playing games, having this as their unique and exclusive source of money gaining and salary, and build their dreams just doing what they love to do, playing games .... :D

until there, yeah, the good advice is : have a real life , work in a real job, and , if you have time and money, play games for competition, otherwise, no

hard to admit but it's true, everything costs something :eek:

Osagri

Fear the blade of Osh-Tekk
Depression is a word that people use too often these days. I remember when I had depression about 10years ago, last thing I would do is shout it out in social media or be in a place where there is thousands of people and playing video games. I did try to go and do my job at work but I just couldnt focus and perform at almost any lvl so I took a vacation. I Lost 30kg in less than 6 month. So it is rly Hard for me to belive that tweedy is truly depressed when he goes to CB and takes 3rd place.

Last edited:

freerf245

11 11 11 11
Depression is a word that people use too often these days. I remember when I had depression about 10years ago, last thing I would do is shout it out in social media or be in a place where there is thousands of people and playing video games. I did try to go and do my job at work but I just couldnt focus and perform at almost any lvl so I took a vacation. I Lost 30kg in less than 6 month. So it is rly Hard for me to belive that tweedy is truly depressed when he goes to CC and takes 3rd place.
I and many many others I know have gotten over depression and anxiety without constantly making the public aware of my condition over social media. Yea it fucking sucks, but he’s got to understand that millions and millions suffer from the same thing, but don’t use it as an source for attention. If tweeting about it is helping him, then go crazy I hope the best for him. But I don’t like how some people in this thread think I NEED to support him because he’s depressed.

Depression is a word that people use too often these days. I remember when I had depression about 10years ago, last thing I would do is shout it out in social media or be in a place where there is thousands of people and playing video games. I did try to go and do my job at work but I just couldnt focus and perform at almost any lvl so I took a vacation. I Lost 30kg in less than 6 month. So it is rly Hard for me to belive that tweedy is truly depressed when he goes to CC and takes 3rd place.
I dunno, I honestly don't catch a lot of streams but whenever I see Tweedy he always looks miserable and in pain to me.
Life is too short for making beefs over video games, though.

freerf245

11 11 11 11
I dunno, I honestly don't catch a lot of streams but whenever I see Tweedy he always looks miserable and in pain to me.
Life is too short for making beefs over video games, though.
The guy takes it to heart too much. I don’t if he understands he’s better than 99.999% of the people that play this game.

Tweedy is an amazing player, he's Twitter feed was so entertaining for a while. But it is so much drama now. I think he really should quit if he feels that way.

It was an unfortunate situation how he lost his sponsor. He said he would never be sponsored again. Then he got sponsored again by I don't even know who because Noble signed him back up shortly thereafter. I thought Tweedy's back on track but in his head it's still dark and grim.

People are so miserable nowadays. I hop online to have some fun, play a set that's going right down to the wire, I lose it in the end but it was fun, my opponent was better, I've done everything and he starts teabagging. And he keeps doing it and do a last second fatal or just teabagging during the whole time. If I win, they turn on their mic and call me shit, bitch, a-hole, whatever, you have the idea. I blocked all incoming messages on PS4 except friends because I don't want to be harassed by 16-year-old teenagers who can't lose. But people can't even win without trying to insult or humiliate you. Why can't we just enjoy the game without trying to ruin the day of the other guy and actually having fun?

So if Tweedy wants nothing more from now on than having fun I can fully support him.

This is his profile you can see how much he make:
Here is SonicFox:

If someone not want to read;
Tweedy arround 20k since he turn pro, SonicFox 600k.
Have in mind that this is just prize money from tournaments. There is bonuses, money from the sponsor, advertising and so on.
You can make a ton of money if you are smart.
But yeah the prize money from FG are not that much compare to CS and Dota for example.