What's new

Turning Over a New Leaf

Status
Not open for further replies.
gooooooooood shit here

i've long felt like the way this community creates Hype has a lot of drawbacks. i actually think a bigger problem than the character stuff is the way yall make SUCH a huge deal out of every random local tournament out there. older communities never really cared too much about local results specifically - they've always seen them as the training ground. in SF or tekken or almost any other game besides ours, locals are where you test out your new tech/characters and keep yourself sharp. if you finish in the money, great...if you don't, you're still getting yourself ready for the bigger money!

i mean, if zyphox showed up at the break playing Not The Flash and didn't place top 8, people here would be spamming all over how this proves he's a fraud who needs flash's BS damage & mixups to beat anyone. how can people feel motivated to branch out of their bubble and add new elements to their game when this mentality is so prevalent?

so yes, i am very glad to see a real conversation about this finally! thanks everyone =)

Damn, Flash players on blast? :DOGE

:p
lol

actually that's another rather silly thing - there are people here who will claim "character armor" with virtually anyone short of like, the joker

key point: 2D fighting games have historically been balanced around extremes. that is, characters will tend to have some tool or gimmick that's overpowered in a vacuum but balanced out by some sort of major weakness. SF4 is a gigantic exception in this regard, so that skews a lot of viewpoints since that's the main frame of reference for most people anymore.

TYM complaints sometimes remind me a lot of a forum sig jaxel used to have a while ago. it went something like "Speed, Range, Damage, Priority, Safety - no move should have more than 3 of these qualities." the reality is that this is the complete opposite philosophy of most successful 2D fighters, which often base characters around moves that have 4 or occasionally even all 5 of those traits. it *is* much more common in 3D games, which i think influences guys like brady whose main background lies in that arena.

tl;dr every character who can actually win a tournament is "bullshit" on some level and it's pointless to try and claim a moral high ground here. go play tekken if you don't want to deal with it

Chimbz

I named my dick Grayson
I say everyone should just enjoy this game. It's a great games that should bring people together, not create unneeded, unhealthy rivalries. I know that a competitive spirit is a good one in these kind of games but you also need to support people. I mean we're all humans here, he all need encouragement.

zaf

professor
This has existed for some time now. A lot of this talk began back when we started playing MK9.

It's nothing new that our community does this. I've been saying to so many people for the longest time to just use which ever character they have the most fun with and just play.
A lot of people told me they didn't want to go to a tourney yet, because they were "not ready" and didn't want to get blown up. It is really sad that stupid shit like that stops people from going out to tournaments.

Justice

Noob
I totally agree with this and the idea of closing every matchup thread on this site (except for the Sinestro on because we all know that WoundCowboy would spontaneously combust without it :p).

Status
Not open for further replies.