What's new

Strategy True King of Atlantis -- Aquaman General Discussion Thread

rurounikenshin

biggest cyborg upplayer
Ok, so I have been hearing for a while now that AM is the best character in the game, but seriously I can not see why, I mean he is top 5 for sure, as he does have:
1.-good damage
2.-good range on fast moves
3.-good use of footsies in general
4.-counterzoning
5.-good movement
6.-good specials with many different uses
7.-MB B3 is a really good tool for him
8.-THE most hated trait in the game.

And as far as I know that is it, now, many characters do not have all of this tools, but they compensate this with stupid stuff (GL, SM, BA, etc.) So, What makes AM top 1? Is it that he really does not have any bad MUs? Anything important that I am missing?

Chongo

Dead Kings Rise
Ok, so I have been hearing for a while now that AM is the best character in the game, but seriously I can not see why, I mean he is top 5 for sure, as he does have:
1.-good damage
2.-good range on fast moves
3.-good use of footsies in general
4.-counterzoning
5.-good movement
6.-good specials with many different uses
7.-MB B3 is a really good tool for him
8.-THE most hated trait in the game.

And as far as I know that is it, now, many characters do not have all of this tools, but they compensate this with stupid stuff (GL, SM, BA, etc.) So, What makes AM top 1? Is it that he really does not have any bad MUs? Anything important that I am missing?
Aquaman isn't top 1, but he's top 5. Other characters like Black Adam, Bats, and Supes just have dumber stuff then him.

nymous

Noob
Not broken, but one of the best characters in the game with an incredibly powerful trait. He can be a huge pain to fight but to call him broken wouldn't be justifiable.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
Yeah, as an Aquaman main I'd admit that the trait should probably have it's cooldown doubled. Of course I'd also like it to be reworked so rather than just blocking through strings, it increases the weight modifier so you drop out of your opponent's juggles faster. That way a lot of characters won't be totally nullified by the trait but you'll also have a useful trait in every matchup. Fuck Killer Frost.

Other than excessively fast trait regeneration and the stupidity of MB Trident Rush, Aquaman is a pretty legit character. The only people who seriously try to convince me that he's OP are retard randoms that have no approach other than JUMPY JUMPY JUMPY I WANT TO JUMPY JUMPY, Batman players and Batgirl players... who are pretty much all the same people. Aquaman looks way stronger than he is to a lot of idiots because you can just hold down and wait for their inevitable jump. You can also prey on the universal inability to block low/react to b2. Also a metric fuckton of people tell me that "AQUAMAN FOOTSIES ARE TOO STRONG."

You mean my footsies, bitch? Yeah, m'hm.

Anyway, I wouldn't say he's top five. More like top 3. Which may change with the virtually guaranteed trait/trident rush nerf.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
I'm ok with that until I fight Green Lantern or Superman. Or if they do that they need to make Trident Rush much safer.
Personally I could tolerate his only two semi-bad matchups being slightly more up hill without having to get anything return for it.

Doubling the cooldown on trait isn't even a nerf. It's just reasonable. Your starting point here is a character that just on his normals and specials alone is basically the Schwerer Gustav of IGAU, then you put trait in the mix and the great immovable object now gets a c-c-c-c-c-combo breaker every seven seconds. It's a trickier balance because in some matchups the trait is blatantly unfair (reality check: I still laugh the whole time I use it), but in others it flat-out doesn't exist. Hence my idea for the rework.

OMG....Aquaman is soooo broken...no AM in top 16 at Fall Classic, yet he's sooo broken...

Allow me to share some much need knowledge here....

First, before all of you undoubtedly blow me up.. Yes, I have fallen very short of just how good I truely am in tourneys. I have been plagued by Black Adam for months now in every major, and it was almost 100% guaranteed that TO's had 99999 Black Adam's in my pools/brackets. Black Adam has been the story of my tourney career post ECT Aquaman. After countless losses to Black Adam, I finally decided enough was enough and trained with Rico a lot. Finally, more ready for Black Adam, I head to TFC and get the other two MU's that I hate.. mainly because how I fight them is based off of ECT Aquaman and not what I have now. I have not ground those Mu's and it obviously showed. In the next patch, I will SERIOUSLY grind out the three MU's I am not comfortable with and then all will be well and again I will be right back in GF and top 3's/5's.

I have BY FAR the most Aquaman exp out of ANY Aquaman player. Most top players not using one of three characters get absolutely demolished simply because I have ground out most of the MU's and know how to abuse just how unfair Aquaman really is in those fights. No matter how many of you have gone on and on about "Tom doesn't know the Black Adam MU" let me remind you that Rico has CRUSHED every Aquaman 2-0, 2-0, 2-0, 3-0 etc.... I am the ONLY one who has ever beaten him in a single tournament set and even most of my losing sets have been 2-1, 3-2 etc.. except for one GF set where I lost 3-1, 3-1. I also see so many Aquaman players say how they got the Harley MU, NW MU, etc etc.. then, in offline sets/tournaments vs the best players, they get the absolute shit beat out of them.

Why have I not gone online and ground out those MU's? Because online SERIOUSLY causes an illusion as to what to do, specifically vs characters like Superman which is the ultimate point here....

I have always wondered why Aquaman player use certain tactics offline and seem surprised by failure. I have often wondered how so many Aquaman players just DO NOT have the same success in top offline play vs the Harley's, Nightwing's etc that they all claim to "normally have". Now, I'm not talking about anything besides success vs the absolute best players, not just anyone and definitely not online no matter who you are fighting.

The reason why Aquaman's TRUE brokenness is not seen is because most Aquaman players mainly get Mu exp vs at least 80% of the cast from online and here in lies the issue..

I played TRY HARD today and the connection was bad enough for him to get away with absolute murder. After blocking a jump in, I couldnt even low block the B+1, it was literally guaranteed. At closer ranges, I had no chance of AA him unless I predicted a jump and mashed uppercut long before he even left the ground... there were so many things and many of you will indeed say "W/E tom.. adapt to online bitch" but will will totally miss the point, which is surely not winning or losing online lol... If I could get a guaranteed B+1 after a blocked jump in, I promise you that I would NEVER lose to any Black Adam lol.

A lot of what he did is what I see so many Aquaman players try offline, only to find out the truth.. THAT SHIT IS FOOLS GOLD...

I consider much of what he did to be EXCELLENT online strats, so I am here to educate you in hopes to improve everyone Aquaman game...

1. After a blocked jump in or neutral jump attack, mix up B1 with B2:

Absolutely terrible idea. Online, it can be easy to convince yourself that you are actually out smarting someone and "mixing them up" but this is the absolute furthest thing from the truth. You can EASILY block the low, and if there is no low and they use B+2, its easy to SEE the B+2 and high block. At the highest level vs the vest best, they will block this "mix up" 100%..

Even mixing up B+1 and B+2 at neutral will NEVER work. You can commit to blocking the low, then rise to block the B+2 on reaction.

2. F+13/F+1 then B+1 for a 50/50:

Great mix up right? FALSE.. Against well schooled opponents this will never, ever, EVER hit. The only TRUE mix up is F+1, then max delayed 3 or mix up with max delayed Trident Scoop. The problem is that you can see Aquaman recover from F+1 and know there is now no overhead coming. Even if you try to F+1 and then wait until you recover, and then B+2, its still WAY too slow and easy to guard. Well schooled opponents block F+1 and then remain in high block until they see the F+1 recovery, and then they low block, totally killing the safe "mix up". A player like Rico Suave or REO block this 100% of the time, these days my chances of hitting this "mix up" on players like this is 0.0%.

Using F+1 then max delay 3 or low scoop makes the mix up VERY hard to block. Also, F+13 or F+1 then B+1 BOTH lose out to MB B+3/F+3 where as F+1~delayed scoop does not. You now have a 50/50 that the opponent must guess on and where one option cannot be beaten with armor. A player like Rico FORCES me to use this mix up as its the only real 50/50 I have. When he guesses scoop, he punishes me with MB Lightning Storm for guaranteed 18% and I get knocked back where I must again chase him down. Even worse, I have to activate Trait in case he decides to B+23 me for even more damage. I am forced to lose 18% AND waste my Trait to protect myself from an even worse fate.

Online, in avg to worse connections, F+13/F+1 then B+1 is a TRUE 50/50. The command to low block will simply not come out fast enough if you wait until you actually SEE Aquaman recover from F+1. You must now guess the low and commit to it so that the command registers fast enough for you to block. This creates a false 50/50 and negates ANY MU exp you have where this is even 1% of your strategy.

Since top opponents FORCE me to use F+1~delayed scoop (which is unsafe), I at least get damage off of the safe F+13 which recovers at 0. You can confirm F+1 blocked and then confirm the 3 has hit, then you have enough time to MB FTD then dash in and B+12~scoop, F+2~1+3 for around 30%. This at least gives you one safe option when hunting a 50/50. Online however you can forget this. The odds of consistently hit confirming only the second hit of F+13 connecting, then reacting in time and getting the FTD command out fast enough after the confirm in an avg connection is near ZERO! This forces F+13~scoop/FTD in order to hunt an actual combo. This is the worst thing you can ever do vs top players offline, yet online it becomes a necessary in a lot of connections.

3. B+2~low scoop on block:

Worst idea EVER!!!! Even I use it sometimes online because for me, landing B+2 then juggling with B+12 feels almost impossible in most connections. Also, because half of the time ppl cant block it online even when they try lol. Now, some idiot will say "Tom you bum, after B+2 just input B+12 faster then usual".. True, but then go offline and try that same timing that you have now ingrained into your muscle memory and then tell me who the fool is.

Fact is that so many Aquaman players use these tactics and mix ups as a big part of how they get their damage. Then, when they FINALLY play one of the best players in the world AND that player is WELL SCHOOLED vs Aquaman, all of what you think works becomes "fuck... it doesnt work"...

Now, you can actually realizes that many of you do this, or sit in denial and say "Tom you scrub, we dont ever do these things, gtfo..".

Anyway, I wish you all the best in the next patch.

First, before all of you undoubtedly blow me up.. Yes, I have fallen very short of just how good I truely am in tourneys. I have been plagued by Black Adam for months now in every major, and it was almost 100% guaranteed that TO's had 99999 Black Adam's in my pools/brackets. Black Adam has been the story of my tourney career post ECT Aquaman. After countless losses to Black Adam, I finally decided enough was enough and trained with Rico a lot. Finally, more ready for Black Adam, I head to TFC and get the other two MU's that I hate.. mainly because how I fight them is based off of ECT Aquaman and not what I have now. I have not ground those Mu's and it obviously showed. In the next patch, I will SERIOUSLY grind out the three MU's I am not comfortable with and then all will be well and again I will be right back in GF and top 3's/5's.

I have BY FAR the most Aquaman exp out of ANY Aquaman player. Most top players not using one of three characters get absolutely demolished simply because I have ground out most of the MU's and know how to abuse just how unfair Aquaman really is in those fights. No matter how many of you have gone on and on about "Tom doesn't know the Black Adam MU" let me remind you that Rico has CRUSHED every Aquaman 2-0, 2-0, 2-0, 3-0 etc.... I am the ONLY one who has ever beaten him in a single tournament set and even most of my losing sets have been 2-1, 3-2 etc.. except for one GF set where I lost 3-1, 3-1. I also see so many Aquaman players say how they got the Harley MU, NW MU, etc etc.. then, in offline sets/tournaments vs the best players, they get the absolute shit beat out of them.

Why have I not gone online and ground out those MU's? Because online SERIOUSLY causes an illusion as to what to do, specifically vs characters like Superman which is the ultimate point here....

I have always wondered why Aquaman player use certain tactics offline and seem surprised by failure. I have often wondered how so many Aquaman players just DO NOT have the same success in top offline play vs the Harley's, Nightwing's etc that they all claim to "normally have". Now, I'm not talking about anything besides success vs the absolute best players, not just anyone and definitely not online no matter who you are fighting.

The reason why Aquaman's TRUE brokenness is not seen is because most Aquaman players mainly get Mu exp vs at least 80% of the cast from online and here in lies the issue..

I played TRY HARD today and the connection was bad enough for him to get away with absolute murder. After blocking a jump in, I couldnt even low block the B+1, it was literally guaranteed. At closer ranges, I had no chance of AA him unless I predicted a jump and mashed uppercut long before he even left the ground... there were so many things and many of you will indeed say "W/E tom.. adapt to online bitch" but will will totally miss the point, which is surely not winning or losing online lol... If I could get a guaranteed B+1 after a blocked jump in, I promise you that I would NEVER lose to any Black Adam lol.

A lot of what he did is what I see so many Aquaman players try offline, only to find out the truth.. THAT SHIT IS FOOLS GOLD...

I consider much of what he did to be EXCELLENT online strats, so I am here to educate you in hopes to improve everyone Aquaman game...

Absolutely terrible idea. Online, it can be easy to convince yourself that you are actually out smarting someone and "mixing them up" but this is the absolute furthest thing from the truth. You can EASILY block the low, and if there is no low and they use B+2, its easy to SEE the B+2 and high block. At the highest level vs the vest best, they will block this "mix up" 100%..

Even mixing up B+1 and B+2 at neutral will NEVER work. You can commit to blocking the low, then rise to block the B+2 on reaction.

Great mix up right? FALSE.. Against well schooled opponents this will never, ever, EVER hit. The only TRUE mix up is F+1, then max delayed 3 or mix up with max delayed Trident Scoop. The problem is that you can see Aquaman recover from F+1 and know there is now no overhead coming. Even if you try to F+1 and then wait until you recover, and then B+2, its still WAY too slow and easy to guard. Well schooled opponents block F+1 and then remain in high block until they see the F+1 recovery, and then they low block, totally killing the safe "mix up". A player like Rico Suave or REO block this 100% of the time, these days my chances of hitting this "mix up" on players like this is 0.0%.

Using F+1 then max delay 3 or low scoop makes the mix up VERY hard to block. Also, F+13 or F+1 then B+1 BOTH lose out to MB B+3/F+3 where as F+1~delayed scoop does not. You now have a 50/50 that the opponent must guess on and where one option cannot be beaten with armor. A player like Rico FORCES me to use this mix up as its the only real 50/50 I have. When he guesses scoop, he punishes me with MB Lightning Storm for guaranteed 18% and I get knocked back where I must again chase him down. Even worse, I have to activate Trait in case he decides to B+23 me for even more damage. I am forced to lose 18% AND waste my Trait to protect myself from an even worse fate.

Online, in avg to worse connections, F+13/F+1 then B+1 is a TRUE 50/50. The command to low block will simply not come out fast enough if you wait until you actually SEE Aquaman recover from F+1. You must now guess the low and commit to it so that the command registers fast enough for you to block. This creates a false 50/50 and negates ANY MU exp you have where this is even 1% of your strategy.

Since top opponents FORCE me to use F+1~delayed scoop (which is unsafe), I at least get damage off of the safe F+13 which recovers at 0. You can confirm F+1 blocked and then confirm the 3 has hit, then you have enough time to MB FTD then dash in and B+12~scoop, F+2~1+3 for around 30%. This at least gives you one safe option when hunting a 50/50. Online however you can forget this. The odds of consistently hit confirming only the second hit of F+13 connecting, then reacting in time and getting the FTD command out fast enough after the confirm in an avg connection is near ZERO! This forces F+13~scoop/FTD in order to hunt an actual combo. This is the worst thing you can ever do vs top players offline, yet online it becomes a necessary in a lot of connections.

Worst idea EVER!!!! Even I use it sometimes online because for me, landing B+2 then juggling with B+12 feels almost impossible in most connections. Also, because half of the time ppl cant block it online even when they try lol. Now, some idiot will say "Tom you bum, after B+2 just input B+12 faster then usual".. True, but then go offline and try that same timing that you have now ingrained into your muscle memory and then tell me who the fool is.

Fact is that so many Aquaman players use these tactics and mix ups as a big part of how they get their damage. Then, when they FINALLY play one of the best players in the world AND that player is WELL SCHOOLED vs Aquaman, all of what you think works becomes "fuck... it doesnt work"...

Now, you can actually realizes that many of you do this, or sit in denial and say "Tom you scrub, we dont ever do these things, gtfo..".

Tom you have literally opened my eyes to the way I play online. I am considering going up to the atlanta scene, but after reading this im going to change the way I play with AM offline. This is what I miss from you man a pros perspective on how to play a certain fighter. I know most people here on tym will argue or whatever but theres still some of us who listen to what the high level players have to say, because no matter what some of these people say they dont have the lab time/MU xp that you and rico and even cdjr have. I miss these posts man. Thanks for the advice. And good luck at the tournys man I hope you get of of this funk.

FrozenG3oX

<3 gimmicks

i think you just proved my point. I was being sarcastic. Aquaman is not as broken as people say

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"

This is all stuff I agree with entirely, all that online bs is ridiculous and I, like you, almost always refuse to play online with any sort of seriousness. Although, on occasion I do use f1, b1, but only as a little frame trap kind of thing, I should probably just give it up because it doesnt really get me much of anything.

Anyway, would you mind answering a few questions on matchups? Like you said, you have the most exp so it would be a great help. I would like to hear your thoughts on the Black Adam matchup overall now (obviously the big one here, we are ALL struggling), nightwing (many people say it is advantage nightwing, but I have always thought even) and Superman (just general thoughts and if you have anything new in the matchup, I havent seen you play it in a long time) Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I hope you know I am rooting for you at future events.

FrozenG3oX

<3 gimmicks
This is all stuff I agree with entirely, all that online bs is ridiculous and I, like you, almost always refuse to play online with any sort of seriousness. Although, on occasion I do use f1, b1, but only as a little frame trap kind of thing, I should probably just give it up because it doesnt really get me much of anything.

Anyway, would you mind answering a few questions on matchups? Like you said, you have the most exp so it would be a great help. I would like to hear your thoughts on the Black Adam matchup overall now (obviously the big one here, we are ALL struggling), nightwing (many people say it is advantage nightwing, but I have always thought even) and Superman (just general thoughts and if you have anything new in the matchup, I havent seen you play it in a long time) Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I hope you know I am rooting for you at future events.
Even he uses it...give me a break guys...

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
i think you just proved my point. I was being sarcastic. Aquaman is not as broken as people say
EXACTLY. When I hear people saying He is top 3, I have to ask, "WHY?!?!?"

He has shit mixups and is really unsafe. That trait does exactly DICK against multiple characters unless used preemptively.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Greetings, Aquaman players!

I am working on a thing for myself. And I'd like to know what Aquaman players consider to be his best/most used strings. I'm very aware of his low starter, and I do recall an overhead into low-scoop being a thing, but what else?

Any help would be appreciated.

FrozenG3oX

<3 gimmicks
what is aquamans best corner combo i looked in the combo thread but no luck
b12 starter- b12 FTD b123 MB FTD 22 scoop f2 1+3
f13 starter- f13 22 MB FTD 22 scoop f2 1+3
harder one f13 FTD b12 MB FTD 22 scoop f2 1+3 - this is a bit a hard, i recommend the other one
there are the best i think

FrozenG3oX

<3 gimmicks
Greetings, Aquaman players!

I am working on a thing for myself. And I'd like to know what Aquaman players consider to be his best/most used strings. I'm very aware of his low starter, and I do recall an overhead into low-scoop being a thing, but what else?

Any help would be appreciated.
b12, b123 only in corner combos
f13- f1 is plus on block so you can do a 50/50 with f1 then b12 for low or f13 for the overhead. or f1 scoop and f13
b2u3 is pretty good cuz of the b2 range...b2 is pretty good alone.
3 is plus on block, pretty good in the corner

migosan

MK Philippines / Injustice Philippines
just a question fellow atlanteans! how the hell do i punish kf black ice slide? or shazam's torpedo on block? having problems with the kf mu, and another question if i may, what is your preferred wakeup? because shield is slow on startup and gets stuffed, trident ftd can be jumped on, scoop can easily be baited or jumped on for full combo punish, what is wakeup is safe??

Syknis

King of the Kiddie Pool
just a question fellow atlanteans! how the hell do i punish kf black ice slide? or shazam's torpedo on block? having problems with the kf mu, and another question if i may, what is your preferred wakeup? because shield is slow on startup and gets stuffed, trident ftd can be jumped on, scoop can easily be baited or jumped on for full combo punish, what is wakeup is safe??
You can't punish kf's slide its only -4 I think. Just put her in a f1 50/50 or check her with a b1. Lol hopefully she doesn't parry or backdash. And with the wake ups. You just got to deal with it and block the jump in lol smart players that know the aqua mu will beat your wakeups with a perfectly timed jump in. If they're not on point and you know they're going to neutral jump a wake up then you could wake up shield but even that in itself is risky

migosan

MK Philippines / Injustice Philippines
You can't punish kf's slide its only -4 I think. Just put her in a f1 50/50 or check her with a b1. Lol hopefully she doesn't parry or backdash. And with the wake ups. You just got to deal with it and block the jump in lol smart players that know the aqua mu will beat your wakeups with a perfectly timed jump in. If they're not on point and you know they're going to neutral jump a wake up then you could wake up shield but even that in itself is risky
yeah guess i can just grab punish the black ice slide, hahaha, that's what i also thought, i would just have to rely on f1 adv then mixups, :( about the wakeups, guess i just have to deal with having bad wakeups, (cause i also use batman haha) if only aqua's backdash is as good as bats, or just make the if they could make d2 f3 or b3 counted as a wakeup with invinci frames, hahaha, yes the shield is slow on start and you can get stuffed easily, thanks for the tip, guess ill just have to play more carefully and patiently with aquaman!

Syknis

King of the Kiddie Pool
yeah guess i can just grab punish the black ice slide, hahaha, that's what i also thought, i would just have to rely on f1 adv then mixups, :( about the wakeups, guess i just have to deal with having bad wakeups, (cause i also use batman haha) if only aqua's backdash is as good as bats, or just make the if they could make d2 f3 or b3 counted as a wakeup with invinci frames, hahaha, yes the shield is slow on start and you can get stuffed easily, thanks for the tip, guess ill just have to play more carefully and patiently with aquaman!
Lol it would be awesome but that would probably make him toooo gdlk. I guess they gave him trait to counter that one weakness.