What's new

Strategy True King of Atlantis -- Aquaman General Discussion Thread

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Ben Reed

Should be. Doing ground splats/hard knockdowns with good advantage into an OTG interactable is inescapable as long as it knocks them down long enough.

TimTim

Don't Hate
What strings should I be using?
I use b12 and 22 and meaty b23 but they are unsafe what do I cancel to?

MrSoloLobo

I have a keen eye for all things broken.
How do you guys deal with pressure? Currently fighting a Batman and I cannot answer his pressure. I'm starting to think Batman is OP.

How do you guys deal with pressure? Currently fighting a Batman and I cannot answer his pressure. I'm starting to think Batman is OP.
This can definitely be tough as he rushdown is solid. Don't be afraid to Pushblock if you need to, but personally I prefer to MBB3 depending on how the pressure is being applied (NOT doing this with his bat trait active though).

If I completely run out of ideas and have trait available, I am not above letting him tag me once and then activate the trait and block low if he uses the scoop as part of his combos.

TimTim

Don't Hate
I'm having a bit of trouble with Aquaman.
I play mostly online with a bit of offline with some friends.
Let me start off with online against people below like 27 or 28 skill ranks are free as fuck. I can jump in all day and they don't block low at all. I can just jump for days b12 into combo every time.

Then we have the decent players and my friends.
These are the people who anti air usually block low and don't push buttons. The only time I land combos is after wiff punishes. I also usually end my combos with f2 1+3 because Tom says that gives the best Oki. The bad part is what do I do?
No one ever gets hit by the overhead, like ever and if I jump in I do b12 into stabs and lose my pressure. I can't meaty b12 because they block low until I jump in or try to overhead.
What do I do?
Throwing works but not for long.

SimSim

Norwegian Lab-work Champion
I like to end my combos with 223 in stead actually. If I do b12 after that, as fast as possible, it will beat stuff like deathstroke's sword flip I am pretty sure. You can also walk a step and grab their wake up, or go for high/low, but from a more unsafe distance ofc.

Hellion_96

xX_Hellion96_Xx
I'm having a bit of trouble with Aquaman.
I play mostly online with a bit of offline with some friends.
Let me start off with online against people below like 27 or 28 skill ranks are free as fuck. I can jump in all day and they don't block low at all. I can just jump for days b12 into combo every time.

Then we have the decent players and my friends.
These are the people who anti air usually block low and don't push buttons. The only time I land combos is after wiff punishes. I also usually end my combos with f2 1+3 because Tom says that gives the best Oki. The bad part is what do I do?
No one ever gets hit by the overhead, like ever and if I jump in I do b12 into stabs and lose my pressure. I can't meaty b12 because they block low until I jump in or try to overhead.
What do I do?
Throwing works but not for long.
I have about 200 games with aquaman and hes a footsy character. His b1 is fast and has long range and his overhead has mega range. The mixup from his b1 is you either link scoop or you don't which allows for more pressure. I prefer ending combos in 223 since it leaves you in b1 range without having to dash in. Once they stop waking up and respect the b1 you can start throwing out overheads. Aquman is so good cause his defense is prolly one of the best in the game with his uppercut d1 and trait.

TimTim

Don't Hate
I have about 200 games with aquaman and hes a footsy character. His b1 is fast and has long range and his overhead has mega range. The mixup from his b1 is you either link scoop or you don't which allows for more pressure. I prefer ending combos in 223 since it leaves you in b1 range without having to dash in. Once they stop waking up and respect the b1 you can start throwing out overheads. Aquman is so good cause his defense is prolly one of the best in the game with his uppercut d1 and trait.
Nah scoop is punishable. Everything he does is punishable. B1 is pretty negative and b12 is punishable (it's -6 so barely punishable)
Everything I do is punished.
Definitely a footsie character.

Dizzy

Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
TimTim

-6 is not punishable besides anything except Superman's Super. 6f startup moves have 7f impact.

Dizzy

Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Oh thats a cool fact. So even -7 moves are just frame punishes?
Thats right. If something is -7 you can punish it with 6f startup moves but not 7f startup ones. It being JF depends on if its a special you can do as a reversal or if its a normal.

TimTim

Don't Hate
Thats right. If something is -7 you can punish it with 6f startup moves but not 7f startup ones. It being JF depends on if its a special you can do as a reversal or if its a normal.
Never paid much attention to frame data in MK9 since it wasn't that readily available. Was it the same case because I'm not used to this system.

Dizzy

Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Never paid much attention to frame data in MK9 since it wasn't that readily available. Was it the same case because I'm not used to this system.
No, Somberness did all the frame data himself and listed Execution (another name for impact) as opposed to startup.

Hellion_96

xX_Hellion96_Xx
Nah scoop is punishable. Everything he does is punishable. B1 is pretty negative and b12 is punishable (it's -6 so barely punishable)
Everything I do is punished.
Definitely a footsie character.
Yea hes punishable that's balance for his trait which breaks combos lol he can't be super safe would be ridiculous

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
You guys saying he is really punishable.... confirm to trident rush on block basides a few exceptions it is safe. Plus builds good meter and good chip. Some characters cannot punish scoop either, so if you want to mix up between extending offense or checking with that, it can work, since players will be afraid of the full combo from scoop.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Interesting thing. B123 mb watershield is a true blockstring, is plus on block (I didn't get to test exactly what and I don't trust in game frame data) and gives pushback that is the perfect range for b12 again. It looks like you can jump out of the follow up, but a ground trident (ftd) will aa. Idk if this could end up being useful but it's worth looking into. If they take the last hit of b123 you can just dash cancel the shield to pressure.

Clamper

Noob
F1,3 and F1,Scoop are legit at least for all i tested, you cant jump, you cant fuzzy guard, you cant b(f)3mb and i couldnt poke with d1 (6f startup) between the strings. All i was able to do was backdash between F1 and 3 but not between F1 and scoop, so if they're mashing backdash they'll be hit by the scoop since they arent holding down.

On another topic i know this must be really old news but in case anyone still doesnt know ... i found out today how trident rush mb is godlike. Not only does insane chip damage (around 15%) it builds an absurd amount of meter on block. Builds around 0.8 meter. In fact sometimes i'd rather have them block this instead of getting hit.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
It's good to know those mixups are viable, but for the most part I'm happy taking my chip damage and meter from b12 trident rush. I only use that stuff if I am trying to make a comeback. Especially against characters with good punishers for scoop.