What's new

Tech - Flame Fists Trident Rush is ok in MKX

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
So Flame Fist Liu Kang is now considered one of the most improved characters from the latest patch. This means access to new block strings and really a whole new way to play this character.

The two best buffs are this:
1) Shaolin Flame (dd1) now has super quick cancel properties. No one knows yet what the frame data looks like but he has new true block strings when dd1 is used to cancel strings on block.

2) Windmill punch (fbf4) now is 2 in 1 cancelable which means you can cancel the special itself info another special. This means he can make it safe, use armor, or use parry to make you think twice about your punish.

Rushdown effects:
This video shows you what you can do with both options when combined for about 15-16% chip.

The Dragons Wrath (db2) is his only unpunishable special so you can cancel fbf4 into that to be safe and deal extra chip damage. This can be interrupted which is why you burn the bar of meter to make yourself safer. You can see it beat buzzsaw lao reversal ex spin.

Also, notice the meter burned and the meter gained...I build back exactly 1 bar which i spent to be safe.

Against most of the cast ex db2 will be your best option unless there is a parry or perhaps another armored special...more testing needs to be done to see that beats it. I imagine ex punch walk would beat it also.

What this video doesn't show you is the other frame traps he now has access to. I will eventually calculate the frame data like I did for Dualist but it will take more time.

Zoning effects:
The other piece to this that needs to be talked about is how dd1 effects zoning. With the instant dd1 recovery, and the natural buffs to fireball (10% damage and 3% chip), he is now one of the most dangerous zoners in this game.

When you combine powerful zoning with great block damage and rushdown frametraps, you have a very very good character. Rejoice Kang mains, rejoice!

For a complete breakdown of Flame Fist buffs, please see this video by ketchup and mustard.

@PND_Ketchup
@PND_Mustard
@KH_Seraph
@YOMI Zyphox
@CURBOLICOUS
@FOREVER EL1TE
@xarakamaka
@Ares_Supreme
@Derptile
@WITNESS
@Devin Thorn

f44 sf cant be normaled out of but can be armoured after . its probably plus 8 or 9 .

b34 sf is plus 8 or 9

111 sf is plus 5

112 sf is either plus 9 or 10

and obviously f213 which is plus 15 .

everyother string appears to be negative sorry if im out by one frame but hope this helps

Last edited:

SEV

Noob
It's completely unsafe on block. It's -16 if you don't cancel and there is a gap between the cancel and he only has single hitting armor moves afterward. His only option is canceling into exDB2 and if they opponent armors as well then you eat the damage and if their armor has more than one hit and launches, you're eating a full combo. There might be some instances where you can cancel into parry but his parry doesn't work too well, so it's far from reliable.

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ
Seriously, not only has his rush down improved, be he has become one of the best zoners in the game. He can just quickly cancel damage buff into 10%+ fireballs that are lethal to trade with. He is able to quickly get the life lead, and once he does, that's a wrap. His uppercut is a fantastic anti-air, he does so much chip, and he is able to stay safe because of the meter he builds as you described. I think he is perfect for now.

Now let's hope Dualist gets a little more positive treatment to become viable in tournies.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
enlighten us?
Dragon's roar is slow, there's a huge gap after windmill kick.

If you think they will do EX dragon's roar, use your armour slightly later to absorb the EX dragon's roar, at which point it no longer is armoured, and punish.

You can option-select a standing normal into an armoured move to punish both no cancel and EX dragon roar cancel.

FF is a fucking ridiculous variation but people don't know anything about the gimmicks characters in this game have, nor the holes to blow them up.

SEV

Noob
never mind...i found it with kang. Do any other kangs have better options?
You just need to be ready to confirm into WMP or DR; dial in forward and back, then hit confirm into either or from there. F44 gives you more than enough time to make that confirm.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
What is ex flying kick on block up close? Is it safe after windmill punch?
-14. No.
You just need to be ready to confirm into WMP or DR; dial in forward and back, then hit confirm into either or from there. F44 gives you more than enough time to make that confirm.
IMO flame fist aura is what you should always do after F44. Enough time to hitconfirm, full combo on hit, +7 on block.

SEV

Noob
IMO flame fist aura is what you should always do after F44. Enough time to hitconfirm, full combo on hit, +7 on block.
Oh right on, didn't know you were plus canceling into flame fist aura.

Edit: I don't know if it's +7 though: I can't seem to make B1 jail and that's a 6 frame SU; I know that would be a two frame link but I can't seem to make it happen once and I have the timing down to combo after flame fist aura cancels already. You sure it's +7? Looks +5'ish to me.

Nevermind, got B1 and F1 SU mixed up.

Last edited:

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ
Yeah you can hit confirm wp into damage buff and another string into wp. If they're blocking, you can cancel wp into parry to bait. What about low fireball?

You can also opt to run cancel WP into F213 for more pressure I believe.

Last edited:

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
you are a great player,and i follow you in every tech because your strategies are wonderfull,but this is not a serious answer!
Thank you but I downloaded the patch this morning and am playing it for the first time. Can you explain what you mean?

I don't have all the options figured yet so I thought I would ask other kang players.

Runks

Noob
You guys need to lab better. Windmill punches info shaolin flame is -7. There is gaps all over the place. You can parry yes but that'sall you get as a mixup really. Nothing is safe.

Redk9

Noob
Dragon's roar is slow, there's a huge gap after windmill kick.

If you think they will do EX dragon's roar, use your armour slightly later to absorb the EX dragon's roar, at which point it no longer is armoured, and punish.

You can option-select a standing normal into an armoured move to punish both no cancel and EX dragon roar cancel.

FF is a fucking ridiculous variation but people don't know anything about the gimmicks characters in this game have, nor the holes to blow them up.
How do you preform this option select out of curiosity?

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
You guys need to lab better. Windmill punches info shaolin flame is -7. There is gaps all over the place. You can parry yes but that'sall you get as a mixup really. Nothing is safe.
and you should read better...lol

Read the thread where we discuss these things. No one even was talking about WP dd1 on block.