What's new

Transferring TYM Ownership to Mr Aquaman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I'd kind of be fine getting rid of reaction buttons in general. My problem with the "downvote" is that it really lacks context and almost just ends up with a way for people to try and shut down a comment without actually engaging. It can also turn into something where people just get together and review bomb a comment just because they don't like the idea. I don't know, I just had a bad experience in a reddit community for a DnD live play podcast, where people simply didn't like the DM so any time someone would post something positive about an episode they'd just get down voted into oblivion.

In other words, up votes and down votes just became more of a distraction instead of adding anything of value to the conversation.

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
I'd kind of be fine getting rid of reaction buttons in general. My problem with the "downvote" is that it really lacks context and almost just ends up with a way for people to try and shut down a comment without actually engaging. It can also turn into something where people just get together and review bomb a comment just because they don't like the idea. I don't know, I just had a bad experience in a reddit community for a DnD live play podcast, where people simply didn't like the DM so any time someone would post something positive about an episode they'd just get down voted into oblivion.

In other words, up votes and down votes just became more of a distraction instead of adding anything of value to the conversation.
I agree, downvotes in theory don't seem bad and in some cases make sense, but every time I've seen it in practice, its always a net negative.

I love the concept of adding a "thumbs down" for the reasons @Dankster Morgan said.

If it's an actual upvote/downvote system though where it actually can bury a thread, that I'm not into. I think having a "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" as a reaction option is great.

In terms of engagement with thumbs down, sometimes there's regular posters who continue posting drivel and it's just not worth formally engaging them with, but giving a quick thumbs down sums things up.

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword
Imagine if we got 16bit on an open honest KTP reunion after all this MK1 backlash.
As much as I love to listen to that podcast again, that would never happen now lol. Stephanie is working for NRS, I don't even know where Slips and K7 been at. But man, I remember listening to them all the time back in the day lol.

Man it seems like yesterday RoboCop took over. Best of luck man.
Wow I'm seeing names I haven't laid eyes on in 10 years.
Can we get the Ares forums popping again?

I think it would be cool to have forums for all nrs games sometime, I still revisit all of them especially with my brother. We fleshed out Injustice 1 so much since MK X released

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
Where did I say that? I said I don't want that to be the first thing people see when they visit TYM. I mean that literally. The front page is going to change. Does that make you feel oppressed? I've seen current moderation has been crazy so I understand if there is some tension in the air. I saw a thread was deleted and people banned that shouldn't have been and it will take time to undo and make changes to begin with
I understand this sentiment but I really hope you don't take a too relaxed stance on moderation. Sure there are things that shouldn't be moderated as much as they have in the past, for example a lot of troll/joke threads would get locked quickly. But the lack of moderation on some issues is a big reason why myself and a lot of people left the site. There was just a lot of transphobia, racism, xenophobia, and COVID denialism that wasn't being moderated. This place did not feel like a safe place for lgbtq community members for a time, especially with the way Stephanie's coming out thread was moderated

Plop

Noob
As much as I love to listen to that podcast again, that would never happen now lol. Stephanie is working for NRS, I don't even know where Slips and K7 been at. But man, I remember listening to them all the time back in the day lol.
I still listen from time to time

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
One of the only reasons this site is still around is because of you Robo, thank you for the years of effort and resources to make that happen! I look forward to trying to bring TYM to the new era. I will create my own thread with some planned changes and please let me know any suggestions/changes you guys would like to see as well
I'm glad to see TYM will remain around. It's been in existence in some fashion for nearly 2 decades and it's exciting to see where it will go now.

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
Wasn’t there a thumbs down feature for like a couple weeks or something a few years ago before one of the overhauls? I liked that and wish it stayed, if I think someone’s post sucks but don’t wanna quote them, and don’t want to use a passive aggressive laugh emoji, I want the downvote.
From memory, the thumbs down got out of hand and became really negative fast. People were just doing it because they disliked people – completely innocuous posts were getting thumbs down for no good reason. It just caused lots of fights, so it was removed.

It seemed like a good idea at the time, but I would not recommend bringing it back unless you want drama again.

But the lack of moderation on some issues is a big reason why myself and a lot of people left the site. There was just a lot of transphobia, racism, xenophobia, and COVID denialism that wasn't being moderated.
You need to be careful about this as I have seen too many times nasty pile-ons from SJW’s putting meaning into things which were not intended by the poster. If something is overt and rude, it is 100% appropriate to edit / delete a post, but if it is just your perception, you need to deal with it – use your right to block people.

Policing peoples thoughts on things like Covid or being pro Trump is innapropriate and concerning (and I am not a denialist or a Trump supporter). We are not here to police people’s political opinions and if someone denying covid etc upsets you – block them.

I have not noticed a mass exodus from the site from the lgbtq community. I am one of the gays on the site and have been on TYM since the start . There has always been a lot of us and I have seen no downturn in our representation - there has probably been an increase in representation over time on this site. I can’t say I ever felt threatened or unsafe, but maybe I have a thicker skin.

Don't let a tiny amount of people with shitty opinions affect your experience, Always remember the block button is there for a reason – exercise your right to use it.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
my whole stance is time and place, and I hope that a new structure will give those who cannot avoid debating a space to go vomit words out, however, there should be certain areas of the forum where it should only be about competition/the game, that MUST be respected by all parties involved. Im not here to listen to you talk about censorship, im here to talk about getting gud at MK.

molambo

(X ౪ X )
As the title says. @Mr Aquaman is taking over TYM. I have transferred ownership to him for the good of the MK kommunity, as I believe he will be able to do a lot better by yall than I have. He should be responding soon with his plans for TYM. Hope you enjoy the future of TYM. I'm out. Peace.

-Woody
april fools day joke?

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
There was just a lot of transphobia, racism, xenophobia, and COVID denialism that wasn't being moderated. This place did not feel like a safe place for lgbtq community members for a time, especially with the way Stephanie's coming out thread was moderated
This has not my experience at all in ten years on this forum.

I've seen this complaint several times on twitter, which apparently doesn't offend people enough to stop using with all its crap but the almost non-existent posts on here seem to be highlighted for years

Last edited:

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I’ve seen some comments regarding past and present moderation and wanted to touch on that a bit. This a long post just fyi.

I have said this many times before, but we try to be as welcoming as possible to all walks of life here on TYM. The NRS community itself tends to be one of the most diverse, inclusive and welcoming communities at least as far as I’m aware. So with that in mind, we have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to virtually any bigotry and/or discrimination that takes place here. This is a competitive FGC/NRS video game website after all. With that said, there’s not very many members on the site staff. And none of us receive compensation, this is 100% volunteer work for the community. The reason I mention that is because it means that we aren’t always going to have a staff member online 24/7. And even if there IS a mod/admin online, that doesn’t mean we are going through every thread and every post. This is why we always advocate for members to use the report function whenever they see a post that they feel violates a site rule. Soo many times a post will be reported that I have never actually seen before it was reported. However, keep in mind that just because a post is reported, that doesn’t always mean it requires us to take any action. But it at least makes us aware of the post and member regardless.

Aside from that, a lot of actions take place that members never see or hear about. Whether they be infractions, deleted posts, DM’ing a member asking about a post or their behavior, members being suspended or banned, and/or the staff all coming together to discuss certain things about the site like the direction we want to go or how certain members are behaving and/or to keep an eye on someone who has been bending the rules but not yet breaking them. There’s been A LOT of very inflammatory and/or bigoted posts that almost no one has ever seen. Which typically are the rare times myself or another mod/admin just so happened to be browsing that specific thread or the status updates and were able to take care of the post before people even saw it. On one hand this is the best outcome, but on the other hand, in general, it might not appear as though we’re doing all that much. Because it’s not like we publicly announce every time we delete something, suspend/ban someone, etc etc.

Most of us realize moderators on the internet aren’t very liked, I completely understand. I’ve had a ton of issues with moderators throughout my experience on the internet. The most common issue I have is them abusing their power and/or not being clear about why a certain action was taken against me. Here on TYM, we try to notify every single member that receives an infraction, suspension, ban, etc via a DM. But again, since it’s a private DM, no one else is able to see it. We will occasionally make a public post about a certain situation, member, post, thread, etc, but it’s rare. We get flack for moderating too much, we get flack for not moderating enough. Sometimes a single member will levy BOTH criticisms. And to be perfectly clear, this isn’t some pity party. Like “oh us poor moderators and what we have to deal with”, not at all. The point in bringing that up is that when you constantly have conflicting criticisms and narratives, it is literally impossible to make everyone happy. So we try to do what we feel is right and is in the best interest of TYM and the community.

All that said, I’m not trying to say or imply that we are perfect because we aren’t. And any and all feedback is welcome, especially if it’s constructive criticism. If you have any issues with a specific action a mod took, an issue with a specific mod/admin, or an issue with moderation in general, make your grievances known. Either publicly or privately. This ties back into my first point of there not being many of us and not being on here all the time.

Anyway, there’s more I could say on this but this post is already super long. We constantly are striving to do better and we need y’alls help to do that.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
I do not know how this forum was many years ago, as I didnt post/look into it back then, but currently (as in, since 2022 or something) my experience here has been fairly welcoming, pleasant and fun. Never once I saw someone get banned gratuitously, or "censored", or whatever. Even if you had a rough day and spat some unhinged posts, it'd take lots of recurring instances for you to get your shit straight before getting kicked out. I like the current state of moderation on this site, and would like it to keep this way.

Son ov Timett

Bork, No Jin
Yea the moderation is pretty fair as of late. Elsewise at least a dozen of us wouldve been banned last month for shitting on NRS lulz. Keep up the good work. I welcome our "Fake Pro Player" overlords. Forums die by inactivity, let's not nag an influx of posters away with fabricated pseudo drama.

Status
Not open for further replies.