What's new

Top tier abusers VS Character "loyalists"

Deyrax

Skarlet who ?
Pffft. Character loyalists >>>>>>>> Tier whores, any time, any day. No matter what you say. You pick top-tier because you're afraid to try harder. You don't have excuses for tier-whoring. You don't even like the damn character. You use top character just because you don't have skills enough to win with character that is not the top. That is all. Simple as that.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
Pffft. Character loyalists >>>>>>>> Tier whores, any time, any day. No matter what you say. You pick top-tier because you're afraid to try harder. You don't have excuses for tier-whoring. You don't even like the damn character. You use top character just because you don't have skills enough to win with character that is not the top. That is all. Simple as that.
How about potential money for winning? Kabal takes more execution than 95% of the cast, btw. (and no, I'm not saying kabal is the ONLY character that would be considered "tier whoring" material)

I disagree with bashing the person for using said character. IMO its fine to hate the character, but not the players themselves.

Reptile Orion

A Fire Will Rise.
Great thread. My best advice is to choose a character that fits your play style. I use a number of zoning characters. I've never choose a character simply because their top tier. At times I even like taking a contrarian approach and playing with a character that isn't getting used often.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Great thread. My best advice is to choose a character that fits your play style. I use a number of zoning characters. I've never choose a character simply because their top tier. At times I even like taking a contrarian approach and playing with a character that isn't getting used often.
This is what I often do, but usually because I hate mirrors and feel like an underplayed character can give you an element of surprise in tourney.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter

Deyrax

Skarlet who ?
How about potential money for winning? Kabal takes more execution than 95% of the cast, btw. (and no, I'm not saying kabal is the ONLY character that would be considered "tier whoring" material)

I disagree with bashing the person for using said character. IMO its fine to hate the character, but not the players themselves.
Not all tourney players are tier-whores (thankfully) in every game they play and I really admire those people. I don't care if Kabal takes execution. Execution on high level is not a problem for pros. He is still considered S-tier. I don't mind watching pros who use top characters, cause it is still entertaining, but LBSH, I will always root for the one who is using a lower-tier character/team. Because if the players are equal in skill level, the one using top-tier clearly has the advantage from the start. The other has to play twice as better in order to win, cause he is at a disadvantage to begin with. And if he wins, do you realize how he feels ? Or how the fans rooting for him feel ? Much more hype then watching the same Akuma/Jin/Morrigan/Kabal winning another fight.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I've always been a character loyalist. Even after Kano was nerfed into oblivion, I continued to main him. In every game, I've just played the character I liked the most. It looks like Injustice will be my first opportunity to play characters that I like who are also top-tier. Deathstroke, Sinestro, and Doomsday are 3 characters I would love to play, and they all appear to be perfectly tournament viable. I'm so excited!

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Not all tourney players are tier-whores (thankfully) in every game they play and I really admire those people. I don't care if Kabal takes execution. Execution on high level is not a problem for pros. He is still considered S-tier. I don't mind watching pros who use top characters, cause it is still entertaining, but LBSH, I will always root for the one who is using a lower-tier character/team. Because if the players are equal in skill level, the one using top-tier clearly has the advantage from the start. The other has to play twice as better in order to win, cause he is at a disadvantage to begin with. And if he wins, do you realize how he feels ? Or how the fans rooting for him feel ? Much more hype then watching the same Akuma/Jin/Morrigan/Kabal winning another fight.
Until you put down those pom poms and stop being a stream monster, all you will EVER be is a fucking cheerleader.

<-- Deyrax

#holddat

Until you put down those pom poms and stop being a stream monster, all you will EVER be is a fucking cheerleader.

<-- Deyrax

#holddat
This, tournament players aren't there to entertain you while you sit at home, it's their choice, Lol. Go to a tourney and rep your low tier hero if people are that offended by tournament players spending, money, time and effort to go to an offline setting and using good characters.

I personally don't care what they use it's up to them, I care what I use, that's it.

You're just as thickhead as your username character.
Why should they use a character that doesn't give them the best advantage? What..., the only reason that's acceptable is if they just really like their character, they shouldn't be forced to use Baraka because it makes you feel fuzzy that some Baraka player is trying to take out good characters.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
You're just as thickhead as your username character.
The problem is you're looking at it as a stream monster, not a player. They are not there to entertain you, they are there to win. If they wanted to entertain you they would start a youtube channel or stream. Tournaments aren't for stream monsters, the entitlement is astounding.

Deyrax

Skarlet who ?
Why should they use a character that doesn't give them the best advantage? What..., the only reason that's acceptable is if they just really like their character, they shouldn't be forced to use Baraka because it makes you feel fuzzy that some Baraka player is trying to take out good characters.
Isn't that what character loyalty all about ? You're loyal to your character not because he is low-tier and that you like to beat top character with low tier characters. It's because you like the character so much that you won't trade him for some cheaper character that you don't like at all.

cyke_out

Noob
My thoughts in numbered form.

1- A better player is going to beat a weaker player 9 times out of 10. No amount of tier list and match-up charts is going to change that. If you suck, it doesn't matter if you are using top tier, you're going to get beat.

2- not all games have a huge gap in tier's. Most 3d fighters are more balanced than 2d due to the universal nature of the move set, the defensive options available to the players and not as many diverse playstyles among the cast. This is why it's not uncommon to see low tier characters winning in games like Tekken, Soul Calibur or Virtua Fighter. But even 2d games can have a tier list where the amount of work needed to hang with the higher tier is not impossible to achieve.

3- The majority of people aren't skilled enough to replicate the advantage/disadvantage shown on a match-up chart. Those lists assume both players are of equal skill and are able to use all of the characters tools to it's advantage. Unless the gap in tiers is so large that it affects the outcome at any level of play.

4- The point of the game is to win, you do not get extra points or advance in pools by putting on a good show, or displaying more heart or honor-whatever the hell that means. If you cannot win with a character, regardless of that characters tier position, then you either need to practice more, or find a new character. Simply using a top tier character does not mean you automatically win, see my first point.

5- Using a low tier character to save your ego from bruising after a loss is a waste of time. If you simply shrug off losing due to your choice in character and not in anyway a fault of your own, you deserved to lose like the scrub you are. If you truly think a character fits your playstyle and you enjoy using that character the most, then accept it and take your loses to heart. Don't be lazy and cop out. Don't try to place the blame on losing on your opponents choice of character, or belittle your opponents skill and dedication. You got beat, hold that and shut the fuck up.

Deyrax

Skarlet who ?
The problem is you're looking at it as a stream monster, not a player. They are not there to entertain you, they are there to win. If they wanted to entertain you they would start a youtube channel or stream. Tournaments aren't for stream monsters, the entitlement is astounding.
Wait, so you're telling me people who use low-tier characters at tourneys are there to entertain me and that they don't win at all ? Don't tell me what my problem is, cause you're the one who can't get it. But I guess posting gifs and calling people stream monsters is your way of proving your point.

cyke_out

Noob
Are you paying for these low tier players travel? hotel? Entrance Fee? Food? Are you giving them any reason why they should care if you are entertained?

Deyrax

Skarlet who ?
Are you paying for these low tier players travel? hotel? Entrance Fee? Food? Are you giving them any reason why they should care if you are entertained?
Care to read or no ? My point was that if player who uses a low-tier character wins over the one with top, he should get more credit. I even wrote "do you realize how he feels" over that win ? Why do people always miss the main point and grasping on straws.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Wait, so you're telling me people who use low-tier characters at tourneys are there to entertain me and that they don't win at all ? Don't tell me what my problem is, cause you're the one who can't get it. But I guess posting gifs and calling people stream monsters is your way of proving your point.

cyke_out

Noob
Care to read or no ? My point was that if player who uses a low-tier character wins over the one with top, he should get more credit. I even wrote "do you realize how he feels" over that win ? Why do people always miss the main point and grasping on straws.
Why should he get more credit? A player winning a match in pool A gets the same amount of credit as another player winning in poll B. It doesn't matter how he win, what character he used or what strategy he picked. A win is a win is a win. As long as it's down within the rules and is tournament legal.

Pretty sure sponsored players are in fact there to entertain people watching. Yes it's great for their sponsor to have winners but it's also about memorable players who bring people into watching and enjoying the game. It brings more people and in turn more money into the community.

Deyrax

Skarlet who ?
Why should he get more credit? A player winning a match in pool A gets the same amount of credit as another player winning in poll B. It doesn't matter how he win, what character he used or what strategy he picked. A win is a win is a win. As long as it's down within the rules and is tournament legal.
OK, bro. Next time I see Kano beating Kabal on a tourney I promise I will react the same way I do when I see Kabal beating Kano. Which is like that: