What's new

Top 5, Top 10 or irrelevant (as of Kombat Pack 1 conclusion)

Who is the current top 10?

• Cassie

Votes: 146 39.5%
  • D'Vorah

Votes: 188 50.8%
  • Erron Black

Votes: 80 21.6%
  • Jason

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • Jax

Votes: 56 15.1%
  • Kitana

Votes: 27 7.3%
  • Kung Jin

Votes: 21 5.7%
  • Kung Lao

Votes: 316 85.4%
  • Liu Kang

Votes: 34 9.2%
  • Predator

Votes: 244 65.9%
  • Quan

Votes: 115 31.1%
  • Raiden

Votes: 91 24.6%
  • Scorpion

Votes: 8 2.2%
  • Shinnok

Votes: 243 65.7%
  • Sonya

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • Sub Zero

Votes: 15 4.1%
  • Tanya

Votes: 144 38.9%
  • Tremor

Votes: 13 3.5%
  • Ermac

Votes: 9 2.4%

• Total voters

trufenix

bye felicia
We stand at the end of MKXs first "season". "All" the dlc characters are done, ESL happened, EVO happened, and we have had props and blowups online and offline a plenty. With the next patches date (and contents) largely unknown, I thought now might be a good time to have an old school vote / debate about the actual top characters in the game.

Everybody gets five votes, use them wisely and we shall see just who is top, and who is just being upplayed. Whenever the next patch / kp / hotfix drops, I will close the poll and we will have a nice snapshot of what MKX looked like when it was "done".

Note: I have omitted several characters widely considered to be mid/low tier only to keep from soaking up votes. No offense, but this is not a poll about viability or loyalist payoff.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
In no particular order: Shinnok, Quan, Raiden, Predator, Lao.
Best guessing game, best zoning, best corner carry + damage, potentially best overall, and best mobility.

I feel like Predator would be #1 if I had to choose.

trufenix

bye felicia
The fact that several characters are omitted because they aren't even qualified to be considered Top 10 in any variation is very telling.
I'm not really sure what you're getting at. Are you really suggesting everybody in this game (or any game) is a candidate for a top 10 discussion?

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I'm not really sure what you're getting at. Are you really suggesting everybody in this game (or any game) is a candidate for a top 10 discussion?
Not at all, I agree with you 100%. Just saying that with so many variations (almost 90) you would think more characters would be capable of being up there, but you were actually generous because there's a couple on your list that don't even belong.

trufenix

bye felicia
Why you gotta make this thread?

The game is too new. Nobody knows who is top 10 and every single post in this thread will be DEAD WRONG in a year.

Now stop with this bs.
On the contrary; I think everybody here has a firm idea of who they think the top 10 is. The question at hand is how many of us are actually in agreement. Looking up there already, it seems clear many of us are in agreement.

Even if your prophecy holds true and a year from now we are all DEAD WRONG, I think it will be important (for the next game and the boards sanity) to have firm evidence that x months and x tournaments into the games life we (as a community) had no fucking clue what we were talking about.

trufenix

bye felicia
Not at all, I agree with you 100%. Just saying that with so many variations (almost 90) you would think more characters would be capable of being up there, but you were actually generous because there's a couple on your list that don't even belong.
I'm glad you made that post because I am honestly curious what leads you to believe that.

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
If nobody believes a character is top 10 material, why should they included in a top 10 discussion? There are already several 0 vote characters who are easily better than the ones I've omitted.
People can believe whatever they want. If you want accurate data, include everyone.

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
D'Vorah (Swarm Queen) Do not believe the false propaganda that Honeybee is spreading about being 7-9...her footsies are braindead.
Kung Lao (Tempest)
Tanya (Kobu Jutsu)
Shinnok (Bone Shaper)
Raiden (Thunder God)

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I'm glad you made that post because I am honestly curious what leads you to believe that.
That more characters should be better than they are now? Variations themselves. Something like Jax is what all characters should be. So many aren't though.

To counter this, instead of focusing on buffing all the lower characters and variations, they chose to selectively buff "certain" characters and the leftover went to variations of characters who were already top tier or high tier. In the old days, games like Alpha released and that was it. V-Sakura was a beast for me as long as i played that game, and it was forever the same game. Birdie had to suck forever. In this game changes are consistently made and the ball consistently dropped. For example, Kitana buffs were much needed, but had more energy went into buffing Jacqui than Hat Trick Lao, Takeda than Demolition Sonya, Goro than Warlock Quan Chi, etc, then the roster could have been incredibly balanced overall.

The low tiers should be something like TTT2, where they are lower than Bob and company, but still good enough to hang with most of the top tiers and possibly win majors in the right hands. If that isn't the current state of the game, then emphasis should be to apply buffs to the low guys first, not making sure QC can WU in his 3rd variation. MKX is far, far from balanced imo, and they've had more opportunity to balance it with patch after patch than most games attempt to which makes it stand out even more to me. Like how can anyone justify buffing an entire Lao variation but giving Jacqui a sole useless unusable buff?

After all these patches and clearrrrr inferior characters, it just feels like some characters are left behind because they don't care as much to bring them up, which leaves a much less balanced cast than what would be possible.