What's new

Question Top 10 Zoners

Sugarwatermixlegit

Bruce Campbell 4 MK!!!
Pretty Lady is definitely good but I think he's like just barely not top 10 for zoning. There are just some characters that do what he does better AND with better pressure :/
Not saying he is like the best zoner of all time, but he deserves a lot more mentions than he is getting. For what he does, which is chuck damn chainsaws, he does it well. Plus he is super fun.

Sugarwatermixlegit

Bruce Campbell 4 MK!!!
Pretty Lady is seriously a underrated variation. It can cover every angle of the screen with its chainsaws and long reaching normals (b2 is so good). Can't forget about its anti airs that leads into a meter less vortex.
If he gets a few tweaks (fix that damn EXdb2 female hitbox thing) he could become a top 5 zoner imo. And yeah b2 is godlike. Often times its the best way to start a match I find.

Renzokuken

Gay Hawkeye
Kinda sucks knowing that Ancestral KJ has the potential to be one of the best zoners in the game, but with those timers on, he can't do much zoning at all.

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
Lasher takeda, it isn't traditional zoning but it is keep away with long ass normals that have no hit boxes, he plays a great wall with the fucking massive hitboxes with small hutboxes. And ex kunai DEFINITELY helps with the keep away. But his biggest weakness is that he can't play his game against people who can out zone him. But he has pretty decent offensive tools as well so it isn't a huge problem. It is a bit of a struggle but it can be done quite effectively if one has the patience

No one's going to mention Ferra/Torr here? Ruthless and especially Vicious are designed to control the mid-range game like no other. Between his NJP, Ferra Slide, Ferra Toss, Boss Toss, and long range launching normals, F/T absolutely destroys certain so-called zoning characters (Sub Zero, Reptile, every variation of Triborg, basically anyone with a traditional projectile). And the Ex version of Boss Toss not only eats 90% of projectiles, but goes full screen, while EX Ferra Slide stuffs most low projectiles (Liu's fireballs, Mileena's low sais) and brings the opponent to F/T for a full combo punish. People continue to sleep on this character at their peril lol

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
No one's going to mention Ferra/Torr here? Ruthless and especially Vicious are designed to control the mid-range game like no other. Between his NJP, Ferra Slide, Ferra Toss, Boss Toss, and long range launching normals, F/T absolutely destroys certain so-called zoning characters (Sub Zero, Reptile, every variation of Triborg, basically anyone with a traditional projectile). And the Ex version of Boss Toss not only eats 90% of projectiles, but goes full screen, while EX Ferra Slide stuffs most low projectiles (Liu's fireballs, Mileena's low sais) and brings the opponent to F/T for a full combo punish. People continue to sleep on this character at their peril lol
Because it takes Ferra forever to get back on Torr (and when he gets hit the bow girl stops, there's no projectile trade). His projectiles work well as a situational counter zoning tool, but he's not a zoner and he has to chase almost everyone to rush them down

TommyKing5

But the saw... the saw is family
It's funny how not many of you have brought up Pretty Lady Leatherface. He's a really good zoner if you can instant air constantly, and can give a lot of characters a hard time. If and when he does get those damn hurt-box issues fixed I think he would be top three. I think he's a better zoner than many of the characters are in some of your lists, with or without hurt-box issues. He's nowhere near the best zoner in the game, but he can hold his own.

Dayvon

Noob
Pretty Lady is so versatile as a zoner and can cover every possible angle. His instant airs are much harder than the rest of the cast. I can easily get instant airs with other characters like Lu Kang, Melina, Kitana and Cassie but I have a problem with his. He's a much taller character than the rest and he tosses his chainsaw pretty high.

Wigy

There it is...
1:jc
2:jc
3:jc
4:jc
5:jc
6:jc
7:jc
8:jc
9:jc
10:jc

according to some of the tym nerf request threads ive seen

Because it takes Ferra forever to get back on Torr (and when he gets hit the bow girl stops, there's no projectile trade). His projectiles work well as a situational counter zoning tool, but he's not a zoner and he has to chase almost everyone to rush them down
But all of his projectiles are hard knockdowns, at least, and give him that chance to close the distance quickly. Any trade gives him advantage (besides Net and Ice Ball), and his EX Ferra Slide closes any distance and keeps the opponent honest. Duck and trade, or with Vicious, simply blow through 90% of projectiles (including Net and Ice Ball) with Boss Toss/EX Boss Toss. There aren't many zoners who can actually zone him--the only two characters that really can, from my experience, are Mournful Kitana, Demolition Sonya and Summoner Quan Chi.

TommyKing5

Pretty Lady is so versatile as a zoner and can cover every possible angle. His instant airs are much harder than the rest of the cast. I can easily get instant airs with other characters like Lu Kang, Melina, Kitana and Cassie but I have a problem with his. He's a much taller character than the rest and he tosses his chainsaw pretty high.
Absolutely correct. Even with a HitBox I can't get them 100% of the time. Gotta love them being 8%.

Dayvon

Noob
Absolutely correct. Even with a HitBox I can't get them 100% of the time. Gotta love them being 8%.
I'm waiting on Hit Box to update their firmware so the controller won't disconnect. As soon as they do that I'm buying the controller.
How do you like the HitBox?

TommyKing5

I'm waiting on Hit Box to update their firmware so the controller won't disconnect. As soon as they do that I'm buying the controller.
How do you like the HitBox?
Absolutely love it. I have the older PS3/PC one which in only compatible with MKX & Skullgirls. I'm going to have to buy a new one when Injustice 2 drops.

The learning curve isn't as steep as proper fighting sticks which is a big plus.

Blewdew

PSN: MaxKayX3
F/T is a counter zone character, not a zoner. He also doesn't really "destroy" any of the characters you mentioned.

F/T is a counter zone character, not a zoner. He also doesn't really "destroy" any of the characters you mentioned.
But if push comes to shove, and it often does, F/T can zone, and zone effectively. Sub Zero can't use ice ball or clone effectively against F/T, as Ferra Toss and Boss Toss eat it. That leaves him with slide and rush down tactics, and those are easily countered against. Reptile is less reliant on force ball than Sub is ice ball/clone and moves quicker, but his game is also thrown for a loop, given that many of his go to strategies are not viable against F/T.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
But if push comes to shove, and it often does, F/T can zone, and zone effectively. Sub Zero can't use ice ball or clone effectively against F/T, as Ferra Toss and Boss Toss eat it. That leaves him with slide and rush down tactics, and those are easily countered against. Reptile is less reliant on force ball than Sub is ice ball/clone and moves quicker, but his game is also thrown for a loop, given that many of his go to strategies are not viable against F/T.
F/T vs Sub-Zero isn't actually as bad as most think. Vicious is only like 6-4 probably