What's new

Video/Tutorial Tom Brady's Grundy set up

Gruff757

The Gruff
Quite right, better to choose another character than review it. Coming from someone who mains Grundy it doesn't surprise me, more than normal people having fear of losing something.

Grundy is very good and no need a setup of 95%, as Klabal not need block infinite for example. Although it's difficult, his weaknesses have solutions and he doesn't suffer to cover a setup of 95% in their bad matchups.
how the hell you gonna compare grundy to kabal, someone who has no bad matchups and was top dog?

Darth Mao

Your Tech is Mine! #buffRaiden
I haven't compared the characters themselves, the comparison was between two setups that are fully disposable without making them bad characters.

Gruff757

The Gruff
Like I said, the setup itself is preventable. Make grundy waste his meter and keep him away from you, or find a move that is invincible on wake up and have at him.

you said its broken, its not broken because you can escape it with a proper move

Darth Mao

As I said a few posts ago:
..."I still haven't tested it thoroughly, but the only character I main and managed to find something to get out of it was Flash with a, restricted and precisely well time, db1.
I don't think it's broken just because I can't get out, I didn't come here to complain about something if it was just because I was downplaying. I think it's broken just by having a minimum number of characters that have some special with invincibility frames to be able to exit this setup.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta

I don't think it's broken just because I can't get out, I didn't come here to complain about something if it was just because I was downplaying. I think it's broken just by having a minimum number of characters that have some special with invincibility frames to be able to exit this setup.
Let me know the next time you play a grundy who doesn't use the other reset instead of this.... because there are only a few characters this actually works well against.

If the Grundy has built up 4 bars.... then either you are zoning the shit out of him and doing well....
Or the Grundy is deliberately sacrificing damage for a setup that can be escape by simple watching the timing of the move.

I say we bring down f2,3~ice breathe before anything.

Darth Mao

Let me know the next time you play a grundy who doesn't use the other reset instead of this.... because there are only a few characters this actually works well against.

If the Grundy has built up 4 bars.... then either you are zoning the shit out of him and doing well....
Or the Grundy is deliberately sacrificing damage for a setup that can be escape by simple watching the timing of the move.

I say we bring down f2,3~ice breathe before anything.
Which another reset you say, the setup without MB?
My friend also uses this but this setup without MB but isn't my concern, the MB version is. There is no way of zoning when I use Flash simply because he isn't a zoner, then at some point in the game he will have 4 bars if he wants to have. Doing trait combos and not using push block already gives you the 4 bars for a setup of 95%. Sounds reasonable to eat some cheap damage and then eating an entire life bar. All that remains for me is to use the invincibility frames of db1 to break the setup, lately I hit it in a ratio of 4/10 but I solve this with training.

I know that every character has weaknesses and advantages, but don't give at least one option sounds unbalanced to me. Regardless, I still think he doesn't need it to be good, and lose this doesn't drop down the character. I think the same thing about Grundy vs Super's f23, breathe.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Which another reset you say, the setup without MB?
My friend also uses this but this setup without MB but isn't my concern, the MB version is. There is no way of zoning when I use Flash simply because he isn't a zoner, then at some point in the game he will have 4 bars if he wants to have. Doing trait combos and not using push block already gives you the 4 bars for a setup of 95%. Sounds reasonable to eat some cheap damage and then eating an entire life bar. All that remains for me is to use the invincibility frames of db1 to break the setup, lately I hit it in a ratio of 4/10 but I solve this with training.

I know that every character has weaknesses and advantages, but don't give at least one option sounds unbalanced to me. Regardless, I still think he doesn't need it to be good, and lose this doesn't drop down the character. I think the same thing about Grundy vs Super's f23, breathe.
Grundy's typical BnB's require a bar of meter to use.

However, you're describing a situation where your opponent is simply using this one thing as his gameplan.
I mean, if he's storing up 4 bars.... you gotta make him use them, or kill him.

I honestly can't remember the last time I had 4 bars to burn, unless I was fighting a heavy zoner. And the Setup is a 50/50 every time... it is not 95% for nothing.

Darth Mao

Grundy's typical BnB's require a bar of meter to use.

However, you're describing a situation where your opponent is simply using this one thing as his gameplan.
I mean, if he's storing up 4 bars.... you gotta make him use them, or kill him.

I honestly can't remember the last time I had 4 bars to burn, unless I was fighting a heavy zoner. And the Setup is a 50/50 every time... it is not 95% for nothing.
When I say 95% is the amount of damage, not the probability. 19% damage for each use [76% total] plus one meter that you build when you do the setup 4 times, 95%. And yes, when i play Flash he simply using this one thing as his gameplan. With Flash I can break the setup using db1, my problem is the other characters who can't break it for lack of a decent wakeup.

And even if he didn't use 4 meters, 3 is enough to do the rest of work that the BNB didn't.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
When I say 95% is the amount of damage, not the probability. 19% damage for each use [76% total] plus one meter that you build when you do the setup 4 times, 95%. And yes, when i play Flash he simply using this one thing as his gameplan. With Flash I can break the setup using db1, my problem is the other characters who can't break it for lack of a decent wakeup.

And even if he didn't use 4 meters, 3 is enough to do the rest of work that the BNB didn't.
Everyone has a wakeup that can "beat" this trap.

It is simply a 50/50 on your wakeup. If he times it right... you have to use a wakeup. If he times it to beat the wakeup... you can simply jump away.

circle masher

NRS PLLLLS MORE BUFF AN NERFPS GAME IS UBNALENCERD
You beat the vortex by not letting it get started. Of course that is hard but that is part of the fun (look at SF3:3S Makoto or SSF2T T.Hawk... if you get grabbed you can say goodbye, but the matches are still so much fun and competitive if you can keep them out).

Darth Mao

You beat the vortex by not letting it get started. Of course that is hard but that is part of the fun (look at SF3:3S Makoto or SSF2T T.Hawk... if you get grabbed you can say goodbye, but the matches are still so much fun and competitive if you can keep them out).
I don't want to know how to avoid when it starts, this is obvious. I want to know how to get out during the setup.

circle masher

I don't want to know how to avoid when it starts, this is obvious. I want to know how to get out during the setup.
And this has been explained even since the video in the OP: some characters are fucked pretty hard, other characters can deal with it better. There is your answer.

Darth Mao

And this has been explained even since the video in the OP: some characters are fucked pretty hard, other characters can deal with it better. There is your answer.
Again:
..."I still haven't tested it thoroughly, but the only character I main and managed to find something to get out of it was Flash with a, restricted and precisely well time, db1.

circle masher

I'm not sure why you want to refer to the fact you think something is broken yet can't be bothered to test an escape properly - wouldn't it make more sense for you to test it thoroughly and then you can complain about it?

Darth Mao

Damn, how many more times i'll need to repeat the same thing?
I think it's broken just by having a minimum number of characters that have some special with invincibility frames to be able to escape from this setup, not why i can't escape. Yes, i agree that it is something you have to hit the lab and seek solutions [and i did it lately with all my mains], but that's not what i complain.

Recently i played with a friend who mains Grundy and, when he used this setup, my character simply "disappeared" from the ground and "appeared" in his hands as if the animation had been cuted. There was practically no animation of the character raising up for that i could do the wake up move, this is my concern about this setup. I don't know if it's just me or just the platform that i use [PS3], but this happens more often than normal making it barely impossible to see when do the wake up.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Damn, how many more times i'll need to repeat the same thing?
I think it's broken just by having a minimum number of characters that have some special with invincibility frames to be able to escape from this setup, not why i can't escape. Yes, i agree that it is something you have to hit the lab and seek solutions [and i did it lately with all my mains], but that's not what i complain.

Recently i played with a friend who mains Grundy and, when he used this setup, my character simply "disappeared" from the ground and "appeared" in his hands as if the animation had been cuted. There was practically no animation of the character raising up for that i could do the wake up move, this is my concern about this setup. I don't know if it's just me or just the platform that i use [PS3], but this happens more often than normal making it barely impossible to see when do the wake up.
Honestly... I can't tell when I hit a perfect "no jump" WC and when its delayed enough to be jumped.

To get out of the Perfect one... you have to use the wakup attack that has invinc frames. (everyone has a wakeup that will beat it either with the wakeup... or by the move having the "throw immune" property).

To get out of the delayed one... you can jump f/b. I wouldn't NJ cuz I think it is slower.

Edit: if this wasn't what you were wanting... my bad :(

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments
To get out of the Perfect one... you have to use the wakup attack that has invinc frames. (everyone has a wakeup that will beat it either with the wakeup... or by the move having the "throw immune" property).
Pretty sure what Mao is saying is that Grundy can do this on about 3/4s of the cast because they have shit wakeups and have NO WAY out of this (as tom brady was saying in this OP video). All a grundy player has to do is run through the cast and know which characters he can and can't do this to instead of learning the matchup.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Pretty sure what Mao is saying is that Grundy can do this on about 3/4s of the cast because they have shit wakeups and have NO WAY out of this (as tom brady was saying in this OP video). All a grundy player has to do is run through the cast and know which characters he can and can't do this to instead of learning the matchup.
everyone has a way out.... it is whether you chose the correct way.

It is super deadly against most of the cast though. Everything he does in his gameplan revolves around the concept that this setup has. You have to guess right to get away.

Darth Mao

Neutral jump works but at least the times i used it worked. The problem is only with the MB version, as if the setup "cut" the wake up animation, making it more difficult to know when to execute thee wake up move. I spent the afternoon testing it and when i broke the setup was more on instinct than knowing what i was doing and that bothers me.

I will test more times and with more characters, some time i'll stop bitching here lol

Darth Mao

Exactly.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Neutral jump works but at least the times i used it worked. The problem is only with the MB version, as if the setup "cut" the wake up animation, making it more difficult to know when to execute thee wake up move. I spent the afternoon testing it and when i broke the setup was more on instinct than knowing what i was doing and that bothers me.

I will test more times and with more characters, some time i'll stop bitching here lol
I don't think you're bitching....
I had to tell everyone in my clan the same thing and they have the same reaction you do honestly.

The MBWC knockdown length is silly..... and makes it very hard to wakeup attack without tons of practice.

I know what you mean though..... i'm not trying to say the setup isn't silly against some characters (some just might as well put the controller down)... just trying to help ya get out of it :)

Darth Mao

I didn't mean that you accused me of bitching here, just said jokingly ;)
Glad for your help, i'll practice more until i find the exaclty time. I just pointed out what annoyed me because more people may be having the same problem/question but don't come here to discuss. And discussing here is always good to learn new things and techs that i may have missed.