What's new

Timing the NJP

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
God damn it, online is such ass. Fuck. I can land the NJP near flawlessly offline now, but online...good fuckin' luck. Ugh, so irritating.

Abudabi

Noob
Well I have gawful reactions times, thats why I'm picking Reptile to level up my game. Even if you commit it to muscle memory though how easy is this to pull off online with varying degrees of lag? From the guides and such all it says is hold up and mash punch like hell during the elbow? Is it pretty much random due to lag to pull off during netplay?

Well I have gawful reactions times, thats why I'm picking Reptile to level up my game. Even if you commit it to muscle memory though how easy is this to pull off online with varying degrees of lag? From the guides and such all it says is hold up and mash punch like hell during the elbow? Is it pretty much random due to lag to pull off during netplay?
i wouldnt mash the punch button..just hold up and time press punch almost during the end of elbowdash animation. it happens quick but you'll get it down..its easy once you do it once, you'll never look back. don't think about pressing punch as he lifts off the ground, its usually too late by then. Just practice practice practice practice and you'll have it have it have it have it

retic

Noob
i still struggle with n.jp in my comboes. i could land it consistently after 3,2, f.forceball.

going to a tourney tomorrow. I guess i'll just stick to 1,2,2, fforceball, 3,2, sforceball, 3,2,1 finisher for now. easy but low damage > high damage but tight timing :(

i still struggle with n.jp in my comboes. i could land it consistently after 3,2, f.forceball.

going to a tourney tomorrow. I guess i'll just stick to 1,2,2, fforceball, 3,2, sforceball, 3,2,1 finisher for now. easy but low damage > high damage but tight timing :(
like i said it takes a little time man, dont give up. Especially if you are into tourney play. When i made this thread last week sometime, i was still struggling. i swear i can do it one handed now. it just takes patients and time. also dont over work yourself on it, if you get flustered, play ermac for a little bit for his easyness, calm down then try some more.the science involved here is that your brain is telling you NO no non o every time yu get it wrong, your natural reaction is to time diffrently every time, eventually you will land it and land it again and again and miss it and land it, trhen after a while you will be able to nail it. i said in my first post this is the hardest thing i had to learn. i cant stress that enough, but i swear if you keep on practicing you will get the hang of it. again it took me all the way from launch to almost 2 weeks ago to actually nail it most of the time and it toook all the way to this point to nail it every time. it is no easy feat, unless you are amazing, but from someone who had to work at it to be good at it, i am saying dont give up, you will love reptile even more when you put that effort into him

GNG Iniquity

Hold up, plink 12! Easiest possible way. Don't try it any other way. Plinking is Reptile's best friend.

plinking is a great way to learn also =) (plink- The action of sliding your finger from one button to another) so in this case time the jump normally just plink (slide form 1 to 2) insted of hitting 1 or 2, aso if you are spamming 1 or 2 dont do that, you will fail more often then not that way. the NJP is base doff timing not rapid succession

How do you plink your thumb from 1 to 2 on a PS3 controller without hitting 3 or 4 too? It seems a little weird to me :/
Are you guys playing on sticks?
I usually just hold up and try to press 1 JUST as I see him end the dash.
30% of the time I just do a standing 1, 50% of the time I jump too high and whiff the 1, and 20% of the time I land it. :(
It might just be too hard for me.

GNG Iniquity

How do you plink your thumb from 1 to 2 on a PS3 controller without hitting 3 or 4 too? It seems a little weird to me :/
Are you guys playing on sticks?
I usually just hold up and try to press 1 JUST as I see him end the dash.
30% of the time I just do a standing 1, 50% of the time I jump too high and whiff the 1, and 20% of the time I land it. :(
It might just be too hard for me.
I'm hoping to make a video demonstration of the plinking soon. The motion you want to do is just slide your thumb up over 1 and 2 in one fluid motion. Takes a little getting used to; I'm not sure how well I'd do this on a stick. I just use the PS3 controller.

Yeah, I use PS3 too, and maybe it's just my thumb but I have a real problem doing the 1+2 input or sliding my finger from 1 to 2 without hitting 3.

GNG Iniquity

Yeah, I use PS3 too, and maybe it's just my thumb but I have a real problem doing the 1+2 input or sliding my finger from 1 to 2 without hitting 3.
Well, I've got long and semi-slinder fingers. I could see it being a problem with bigger fingers!

GNG Iniquity

I have short, thick fingers lol! Damn these genetics! :rofl:
I think you could still manage it, but it's gonna take a little extra work with your thumb. I'm thinking a stick MAY be easier for you though, I don't have access to a stick so I can't clarify if plinking is viable on a stick though.

if this were 360 i would say a stick is better for you, however, ps has a small controller and a viable d-pad unlike 360 so you should be fine, now the pressing 2 buttons simultaneously, that is something that just takes practice also. Scorpion, reptile, raiden, now scarlet... all have large combos that require the use of two buttons. just keep trying. however, since i cant physically see your hand, maybe if you are having that much of an issue a stick is for you... i prefer the controller, i use stick on 360 becaus eof the crappy dpad, and i always find myself going back to my ps3 contoller

I think you could still manage it, but it's gonna take a little extra work with your thumb. I'm thinking a stick MAY be easier for you though, I don't have access to a stick so I can't clarify if plinking is viable on a stick though.
Plinking is easier on a stick IMO

GNG Iniquity

Plinking is easier on a stick IMO
Well, a lot of variables come into play here. Your hand, your preference, etc. I have long and slender fingers, by definition pianist hands; now I don't play the piano or keyboard but I do type like a mad man and that's always come very naturally and easy for me. So, for me, I think the PS3 controller is ultimately going to be the most comfortable in terms of plinking.

However, if you have large short fingers, I can see a stick perhaps being the better option - I'd like to test out plinking on a stick and see how I do with ibut unfortunately I don't have one available to me. The entire notion would be different though. I simply use my thumb for the PS3 controller where as you'd either use your index finger or index and middle finger for the NJP on a stick.

spongebob

ಠ__ಠ
Know people have said it before but sliding the two punch buttons was the way to go for me and gave me a much higher success rate. I pretty much slide whenever I need an instant njp. Its pretty easy and feels pretty natural on the ps3 pad. Best way for me to get it i just hold up after the dash , see the jump then slide between punch buttons immediatly - much easier then timing the single punch.

I tried it and I do seem to be able to get it more consistently (75% with ten minutes practice) plinking the buttons. It's a little weird for me due to the way my thumb is, but I think it's probably a matter of practice at this point.

After watching THTB, MilkySituation, and CitizenSnips on a stream the other day, I think my Reptile was bathed in their holy light and leveled up. The EX slow ball pressure is gdlk.

Wenis of Lore

Celestial
It's pretty easy to do, same setup as the NJP, just gotta do 2, 3+4 instead.
when i first saw this, i mis-read it. i didn't know you were talking about using it as a link in a combo instead of NJP.

BUT, this mis-read led to something cool thanks to you! when i read it i thought you were referring to use on it's own. example: elbow-dash inside > 2 > 3+4
it's such a simple combo that my opponents don't expect. when you elbow-dash inside, you want to space it so you land just in front of him/her. then you immediately come out of it with a 2 > 3+4.
you get right in their face quick-smart, then you just do a fast combo. it's flashy :cool: