What's new

Timing the NJP

So most people have issues with this because of the strict timing involved. i will be the first to admit that timing the NJP in any of reptiles combos is probably the hardest challenge I've faced in this game -and i notice a lot of people having that issue. Unfortunatly there is no "easy" way to pick the timing up, however with a little practice with this method you should be able to nail it almost 100% of the time. First off, let it be known that all of the combos have almost the EXACT timing for the NJP so if you can nail one, using muscle memory you can nail them all. After days in practice mode, i've found this method to work the best. after you initiate the combo, hold up, try to time hitting 2 to be the exact moment you go to leave the ground rather than when you are already in the air. in other words, you are hitting 2 before the first frame of leaving the ground. If done correctly you will land the NJP 100% of the time. The hardest part of this is not hiiting 2 too soon. if you do, you simply do a high punch. i know some people say hit 3 or 4 frames into the air, however this works for me, and i had trouble before i started timing it this way so i hope it helps you also!!!

CMP

Noob
That worked perfectly holding up, I got it on the first try when I did that. Thank you that was helpful.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
The way you worded that proved very helpful, I hadn't thought of initiating it immediately upon holding up, but that does indeed help tremendously. Getting around a 75% accuracy rate with it now, makes it much more viable. I like to plink 1 and 2 though; meaning I slide my thumb over 1 then 2 quickly. This seems to help as well.

In my prior attempts online, I noticed how difficult this is though, but I'll make some more attempts at it. dash, 2, 3+4 is another option in the event that you can't land it online due to lag. While 2, 3+4 only does 24% it is nearly 100% guaranteed; though 34% or 40% with 321, dash, NJP, 32 slow FB, 32 EX fast FB, 321 slide may be worth the gamble.

However, I still think that 321, dash, EX fast FB, 32 slow FB, 321 slide for 38% still may be the best use of meter online due to eliminating the risk factor entirely.

ill have to try that - i will say ive put a lot of time in practice mode on just the NJP so i am kinda programmed to hit 2 but if it helps ill definatly retrain my fingers!!

-iniquity you are a genius. i have yet to miss with the slide. i wonder if the timing for each key is seperate, spamming 1 or 2 hardly works but sliding across 1 to 2 i have not missed yet.

GNG Iniquity

i wonder if the timing for each key is seperate, spamming 1 or 2 hardly works but sliding across 1 to 2 i have not missed yet.
You may have a point there. I hadn't thought of that, glad that the tip helped; though I can't claim it as my own idea as I picked it up in the forums at some point but I can't recall from who exactly!

However, I still think that 321, dash, EX fast FB, 32 slow FB, 321 slide for 38% still may be the best use of meter online due to eliminating the risk factor entirely.
i understand what you mean. after having mastered my timing offline, i hopped online after working with the "plink" to show my skills, man was i in for it. granted i won, i had to remove the NJP almost entirely from the mad delay.. lag free, but not delay free since patch =/ it's not to terrible though, instead of JP, 1,2,2 Fforce, NJP, 3,2 SForceball, 3,2,1 slide for 38% i had to drop the NJP online for 34% so i agree with online goign for the ensured damage. after all the diferenc eis only a few percent per combo so if you perform a litle zoning into rundown mixup you make up for it on that side.

In my prior attempts online, I noticed how difficult this is though, but I'll make some more attempts at it. dash, 2, 3+4 is another option in the event that you can't land it online due to lag. While 2, 3+4 only does 24% it is nearly 100% guaranteed;
Iniquity, I'd love to learn more about using dash->2,3+4 into my gameplay as i think it's a viable short combo. any tips or advice for how you work it in to your strategy?? :)

the best use of meter and can easily be done online is 32exffb n.p 32 sfb 321slide ..40% - meter i found this combo out and want to spread it in the reptile community!! some people are so stuck on the elbowdash whiff combos...this one is better!! DO ITTT

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
the best use of meter and can easily be done online is 32exffb n.p 32 sfb 321slide ..40% - meter i found this combo out and want to spread it in the reptile community!! some people are so stuck on the elbowdash whiff combos...this one is better!! DO ITTT
It's not better at all. I dont get why you think it is either. If it's because its easier to perform online then fair enough, but it burns 1 bar of meter which I'd much prefer to use elsewhere.

though 34% or 40% with 321, dash, NJP, 32 slow FB, 32 EX fast FB, 321 slide may be worth the gamble.

(^first one is too risky and the second one isnt as risky as the first but it is more risky then mine, whilst mine still puts out more damage.)

well when i see posts like this..THIS is what i want reptile players to steer away from. I would love to burn that meter in the combo i posted rather then doing that silly elbowdash whiff 1 meter combo. Listen guy, im not saying USE IT all the time for your BnB, im just saying when you have meter to burn..its the most effiecient 1 bar bnb combo

you dont HAVE to input it as your doing 32 if you see them blocking. you can just do 321acidhand and get the block chip damage and pushback. You get this combo on a jump in and its 43%, even better AND it can be used to punish most specials

where else would you use that meter? an ex elbowdash that the opponent can knock you out of? another exffb combo? nope thats the most efficient combo wise. ex dash? waste a bar for not even garaunteed, like 5% more? the only other possible better use of a meter then my combo would be to sit back and zone with the exsfb and use it to pressure up on the opponent. Otherwise i dont see a better use of 1 meter.

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
(^first one is too risky and the second one isnt as risky as the first but it is more risky then mine, whilst mine still puts out more damage.)

well when i see posts like this..THIS is what i want reptile players to steer away from. I would love to burn that meter in the combo i posted rather then doing that silly elbowdash whiff 1 meter combo. Listen guy, im not saying USE IT all the time for your BnB, im just saying when you have meter to burn..its the most effiecient 1 bar bnb combo

you dont HAVE to input it as your doing 32 if you see them blocking. you can just do 321acidhand and get the block chip damage and pushback. You get this combo on a jump in and its 43%, even better AND it can be used to punish most specials

where else would you use that meter? an ex elbowdash that the opponent can knock you out of? another exffb combo? nope thats the most efficient combo wise. ex dash? waste a bar for not even garaunteed, like 5% more? the only other possible better use of a meter then my combo would be to sit back and zone with the exsfb and use it to pressure up on the opponent. Otherwise i dont see a better use of 1 meter.
I don't see why it's 'silly', would you care to explain?

Also in terms of meter, that 1 bar could go towards a breaker, EX SFB pressure (I know you mentioned it, but it is a fantastic tool against most of the roster), or even an Xray which will make your opponent think before they try to zone you out. IMO the extra 3%/4% you get from a combo isn't worth it. EX elbow dash is better than you're making it out to be too, if the last hit connects then you get a free slide and it does a nice bit of damage overall.

I don't see why it's 'silly', would you care to explain?

Also in terms of meter, that 1 bar could go towards a breaker, EX SFB pressure (I know you mentioned it, but it is a fantastic tool against most of the roster), or even an Xray which will make your opponent think before they try to zone you out. IMO the extra 3%/4% you get from a combo isn't worth it. Also if the EX elbow dash does hit you can combo it into a slide and it does a pretty damn nice amount of damage.

the elbowdash whiff combo is 'silly' because it uses 1 bar of meter and only deals out 38% and has too many variables to fail. The one i posted is way easier and more damaging. and i would only waste a meter on that exdash slide move if i need too at the end of the match. Reptiles bnb without a meter is what..like 33%? i will take 7% for 1 meter in a combo any day. His xray shouldnt be used as it gets scaled out in combos and only if you need to use it if your getting zoned out and losing at the end of a match. But even then if they have a quick projectile they can react and you've wasted 3 meters. I agree on the breakers but for the meter/damage ratio im still sticking with this combo.

what also makes it unique is that you cant normally combo 32ffb/sfb and since the exffb is early in the combo it doesn't get scaled down as much as his other meter combos.

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
the elbowdash whiff combo is 'silly' because it uses 1 bar of meter and only deals out 38% and has too many variables to fail. The one i posted is way easier and more damaging. and i would only waste a meter on that exdash slide move if i need too at the end of the match. Reptiles bnb without a meter is what..like 33%? i will take 7% for 1 meter in a combo any day. His xray shouldnt be used as it gets scaled out in combos and only if you need to use it if your getting zoned out and losing at the end of a match. But even then if they have a quick projectile they can react and you've wasted 3 meters. I agree on the breakers but for the meter/damage ratio im still sticking with this combo.

what also makes it unique is that you cant normally combo 32ffb/sfb and since the exffb is early in the combo it doesn't get scaled down as much as his other meter combos.
Fair enough, I guess we wont really agree on meter use :p but that's fine, the more variety in playing styles the better I suppose.

also the dash whiff 1 meter combo I know of deals 41% without jump in punch and 44% with it, with the no meter one doing 40% with a jump in. If I was going to use meter in a combo I'd use yours just because I dont think the 1% is worth the small risk of missing the njp after the dash whiff.

GNG Iniquity

The NJP is fine outside of online games. It still can be used in online games, but it depends on the connection, clearly you need a good connection to make it viable.

Some people prefer conserving their meter for EX slow balls to apply pressure on characters without teleports as well. Meter priority is certainly debatable with Reptile. If I'm playing Liu Kang for instance, I'll probably conserve my meter for a breaker and a slow FB to attempt to avoid him fireballing me to death.

Not that being in Liu's face is any better with Rep. Certainly not a favorable matchup for Rep; but it beats being locked down full screen I suppose.

The problem with 32 EX FB is they can block the FB. 321 whiff, 122 and JIP 2 leave them open for the FB. The NJP is fine outside of online games. It still can be used in online games, but it depends on the connection, clearly you need a good connection to make it viable.

If you want to use 32 EX FB then that's fine with me, it's your playstyle. No need to bold your strings and act as if no other combos exist. Some people prefer conserving their meter for EX slow balls to apply pressure on characters without teleports as well. Meter priority is certainly debatable with Reptile. If I'm playing Liu Kang for instance, I'll probably conserve my meter for a breaker and a slow FB to attempt to avoid him fireballing me to death.

Not that being in Liu's face is any better with Rep. Certainly not a favorable matchup for Rep; but it beats being locked down full screen I suppose.
"facepalm" they CANNOT block 32exffb, they can block 32ffb but not the EX version.

GNG Iniquity

"facepalm" they CANNOT block 32exffb, they can block 32ffb but not the EX version.
You can avoid using the NJP in 32 EX FB but that bumps it down to 36%. So, you actually lose 2% damage with that as opposed to doing 321, dash, EX FB.

I take back my previous statement, EX slow forceballs for pressure is his best use of meter.

321, dash, NJP, 32 slow FB, fast FB, 321 slide - 37%
JIP, 2, fast FB, NJP, 32 slow FB, 321 slide - 38%
122, fast FB, NJP, 32 slow FB, 321 slide - 34%

I do think that D4, EX green hand, 32 slow FB, 32 fast FB, 321 slide - 29% is viable though; the damage does indeed suck. But it's very unpredictable. We all know how viable D4 green hand is for pokes.

GNG Iniquity

Iniquity, I'd love to learn more about using dash->2,3+4 into my gameplay as i think it's a viable short combo. any tips or advice for how you work it in to your strategy?? :)
It's pretty easy to do, same setup as the NJP, just gotta do 2, 3+4 instead. With a little timing you'll get it down, I do feel that the NJP is certainly superior but sadly advanced Reptile isn't very online friendly :(

However, if you're in the corner, and pull this off it turns the tables for your opponent. It leaves a little gap, but a D4 acid hand or slide will put them right in there! Expect to block a wakeup or punish a jump in with this scenario though.This certainly has some application due to that.

im moving there next month.. like for serious. i start the SC highway patrol academy the 29th of july, of which point ill only be around on weekends =((((

My mistake, you're correct. It's a total of 2% damage though; I don't see why an added 2% damage has caused this much of a fuss from you. You still have to do the NJP after the EX FB, either way you're doing the NJP. The 321 dash isn't what's finicky, it's the NJP. The 321, dash, EX fast FB, 32 slow FB, 321 slide does not use a NJP, in fact the NJP ends the combo. So if you dislike the NJP, accept the minuscule 2% difference and use this. The reason I listed this is because there's no possible error on behalf of the NJP. None what so ever.

You can avoid using the NJP in 32 EX FB but that bumps it down to 36%. So, you actually lose 2% damage with that as opposed to doing 321, dash, EX FB. Not that I'm making an attempt to throw this in your face, but it would've been behoove of you to actually test this before making acquisitions of other combos being inferior. Please change your attitude, we're all adults here, and I don't see any reasons why we can't be civil.

I take back my previous statement, EX slow forceballs for pressure is his best use of meter.

321, dash, NJP, 32 slow FB, fast FB, 321 slide - 37%
JIP, 2, fast FB, NJP, 32 slow FB, 321 slide - 38%
122, fast FB, NJP, 32 slow FB, 321 slide - 34%

I do think that D4, EX green hand, 32 slow FB, 32 fast FB, 321 slide - 29% is viable though; the damage does indeed suck. But it's very unpredictable. We all know how viable D4 green hand is for pokes.
Wow i didn't think i came off as much as an asshole as you made me out to be. Ill stick to my simple n.p combo and you can stick to yours. I never said the actual n.p was the difficult part in your combo, its the whole elbowdash whiff then n.p timing. a n.p without elbowdash is far much easier. and this combo to be efficient needs that n.p so you can't leave it out. Also i am an adult and just because i don't agree with everything on here doesn't mean you have to think im acting childish. Its my opinion and the only reason i started to get upset was because i kept repeating myself about how the combo works and i have 50 people attacking me for trying to lend a hand just because i said it in a sarcastic tone that wasnt meant to be taken as an insult ! (when i said..DO ITT my combo!! the elbowdash is silly!). You need to realize that i am not getting as irritated about this as you are and i think that the fact that you thinking i act a certain way says alot about you my friend. You really need to drop the attitude towards me and respect that i am adding something positive in the reptile community instead of trying to break my shit down like it should never be used. We all know about the elbowdash whiff combo, if you want to use it then by all means use it. I am just trying to incorporate an easier combo for people who drop the elbowdash whiff one frequently on/offline.

GNG Iniquity

Let's just let bygones be bygones, unfortunately everything said online is taken to the literal extreme! I think we both misinterepted eachother.

you got that right :confused: lol its hard to read shit on the internet or a text because you cant read the tone on how its being said. By saying that, i shouldn't of been running around saying USE MY COMBO!! i just thought it had made more sense then the last statement on your first post is all, as it deals 2% more and easier to pull off. I was excited when i found out when you could link an exffb to 32 and was trying to spread it in the reptile community. Sorry if i came off ignorant :p.. then the rest was nonsense on our part lol