What's new

Tier Whoring

I totally agree with tier whoring being very detrimental to fighting games, but ultimately nothing can be done about it as a player. People will always want to maximise their chances and when it comes to tournaments you can't really blame them. Tournament runners need to be bolder in banning characters that are being used by too many tier whores and maybe that will persuade fighting game developers to balance their games better or longer after release. More patches, more frequently and for a longer time after release.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
I totally agree with tier whoring being very detrimental to fighting games, but ultimately nothing can be done about it as a player. People will always want to maximise their chances and when it comes to tournaments you can't really blame them. Tournament runners need to be bolder in banning characters that are being used by too many tier whores and maybe that will persuade fighting game developers to balance their games better or longer after release. More patches, more frequently and for a longer time after release.
banning characters just because people tier whore is stupid, banning them because their broken beyond belief, that i can agree with.

Reactions: MKB

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Yeah banning characters takes it too far, because then you also hurt the ones who were loyal to that character from day 1.

Tier whoring is a good thing:
1) play to win.
2) It shows people that their stupid bitching early on in games' lifetimes has consequences.
3) play to win
4) If you can only "develop a connection" to one out of 20, 30, or more characters there's something wrong. If you can tier whore in every game and be successful at it then you probably have some amount of fundamentals.
5) play to win
6) It's not my fault what other people play, if they dont play top characters and there's no diversity that's not my issue, bucause i am... wait for it
7) playing to win.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
This article is terrible. It tries to generalize tier whores and make it seem like they all have the same motive and thought process. This guy is so painfully obviously a stream monster or a casual player. I'm not even going to get into it, this article was geared toward casual players.

banning characters just because people tier whore is stupid, banning them because their broken beyond belief, that i can agree with.
Yeah banning characters takes it too far, because then you also hurt the ones who were loyal to that character from day 1.
Broken characters should be banned, but the developers should ensure characters are not broken in the first place. MK was in decline because of how broken most of the recent games mechanics were and the release of MK 9 saw a much more balanced game which really saved NetherRealm's butts. Banning popular top tier characters is probably going too far and I guess there is no solution that players and tournament runners can implement if the matches become stale and repetitive.

Hopefully NRS continue with their efforts to get top players involved during development and ensure they create balanced enjoyable fighting games.