What's new

Tier Whoring

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
http://tekkennation.com/tier_cosmic.htm

I ran across a great article on a Tekken website that really applies to all fighting games. It's a few years old, but it talks about tier whoring, or, picking the best characters all the time in order to give yourself an easier time to win. I know this subject brings up various and passionate points of view. I'm curious to know where all of you guys stand on this. Should winning at all costs at the expense of character selection be the primary focus at a tournament?

RYX

BIG PUSHER
I use Deathstroke because he's good, though to be honest I'd probably still use him if he sucked. I use Bane even if he's terrible.

Am I a tier whore? :confused:

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
i read it but if i post some big ass paragraph about it I'll get blown up.

So I'll assume ignorance. :p
If you pick a character because you like them, you are not a tier whore.

If five months down the road Killer Frost is OP and you drop deathstroke for her just because you want to win easier, then you will be a tier whore.

RYX

BIG PUSHER

If five months down the road Killer Frost is OP and you drop deathstroke for her just because you want to win easier, then you will be a tier whore.
But Deathstroke is already OP. Every online player tells me so. :(

I'm still pretty sure I picked Stroke because I knew he's good though. I guess we'll find out when everybody doesn't suck. :v

Komatose

The Prettiest

I am glad you said something along those lines. That brings me to a solid question. So what happens when people are being labeled tier-whores and a certain few, or many have been maining her since day one before they knew she was OP? Will they get labeled tier-whores as well?

Zoidberg747

I am glad you said something along those lines. That brings me to a solid question. So what happens when people are being labeled tier-whores and a certain few, or many have been maining her since day one before they knew she was OP? Will they get labeled tier-whores as well?
Again, read the article.

No, if you picked the character from day one, you had no idea they were OP.

Keep in mind that unless your character is really bad, sticking with them will give you a greater chance of winning than trying to pick up the top tier ones.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
Well you see, the tournament scene kinda creates the need for tier whoring. If I beat someone online I'm not picking cyrax to have my wins handed to me in a shiny green net. He's right though, the game is what the players make it.

This is a pretty touchy subject, because we all have differing views. My own is that I use a character whose gameplay/tools match my own. Whether or not that character is top tier is kinda irrelevant to me. I have no incentive to use top tier characters outside of that.

SFIV - Cody
MK9 - Ermac
IGAU - Harley
Tekken - Hwaorang

This is the first forum for fighters I've been a part of. I didn't know about tier lists until sf4 when I visited event scrubs.

SilverKeyMan

Dropping Combos like a MotherFucker!
I agree with the article wholeheartedly.

I use Sub-Zero and Nightwing because I enjoy them, not because of their tier.

Kal

<3
I personally go for characters that fit my playstyle, or are fun for me to play. Even if they're not my typical playstyle but I enjoy learning their new mechanics or what not I will play them.

In SFII I've always played Chun Li and Ryu. Alpha series was mostly Charlie. SFIII Chun Li and Ibuki, the same with SSFIV. In Tekken I played Hwaorang more than anyone else. In Mortal Kombat I've played Kung Lao since MKII and Jade since Ultimate was she introduced in? God it's been a while. Blazblue it was Rachel and Noel. MvC3 was Wesker, Amaterasu, and Chun Li. Etc...

In Injustice I've picked my main a long long time ago, Harley. I'm having fun playing Catwoman, Joker, Raven and GL but Harley is definitely my main.

The thing about people being labeled as tier whores when their day 1 character ends up being top tier is a sensitive thing, and it happens a lot. So many people jumped my ass when Kung Lao ended up being top tier in MK9 it got pretty annoying. I mean what do you want me to do? Stop playing a character I've played since MKII just because he ended up being good in this game?

I say pick who you have fun with the most, forget tier lists, forget people. Now if you're playing in tournaments at Evo level and what not, then I don't know. In the local tournaments I used to go to for SFII/SFIII/Alpha back in the day I always played my favorite characters because I felt too comfortable with them and didn't care for tier lists. Did I win anything big? No. Did I have fun competing? Yes.

Zoidberg747

I say pick who you have fun with the most, forget tier lists, forget people. Now if you're playing in tournaments at Evo level and what not, then I don't know. In the local tournaments I used to go to for SFII/SFIII/Alpha back in the day I always played my favorite characters because I felt too comfortable with them and didn't care for tier lists. Did I win anything big? No. Did I have fun competing? Yes.

This is what is most important.

Unless you are traveling to majors, tier whoring will do absolutely nothing for you. If you picked the OP character day 1, lucky you. Now you have the experience AND the great character. If you have a mid-high tier character, and you drop them for top tier, you lose all the experience.
I played low tier my entire MK9 career and I was never successful trying to go to a better character, because Baraka was always a better character for me.

Bottom line just have fun and enjoy yourself.

Kal

<3
This is what is most important.

Unless you are traveling to majors, tier whoring will do absolutely nothing for you. If you picked the OP character day 1, lucky you. Now you have the experience AND the great character. If you have a mid-high tier character, and you drop them for top tier, you lose all the experience.
I played low tier my entire MK9 career and I was never successful trying to go to a better character, because Baraka was always a better character for me.

Bottom line just have fun and enjoy yourself.
Amen. Some people, usually not the pros and extremely high level players, forget about the experience when they drop their main of a few months or more and pick up someone new just because he/she/it got ranked higher on the tier list. That ends up screwing them over.

By the way, a like for you for playing Baraka. I haven't faced a single Baraka in MK9. EVER, I BS you not.

great read. "You're confirming your sense of self- worth through outward reward instead of through inner appreciation.” that sums it all up. In sf4 I main vega, highly regarded as a horrible character, but when i trash high tier characters i get great satisfaction

gamesun

Noob
I agree but when u put ten grand on the line i bet most people would tier whore themselves on the spot. I dont get people doing that for fun using top characters just cause its an easy win. But when money comes into play everything is played to win. Me personally, I wouldn't tier whore but i totally get why someone would do it when money is involved.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
MK9 was my first fighting game that I decided to learn so I just picked characters that I liked and/or suited my playstyle (Smoke, Kano, Sektor, Jade, Liu Kang, Jax, Kenshi, Baraka)

In TTT2 I still picked characters that I liked even if I did acknowledge tier lists. Sure, Heihachi/Kazuya/Bruce are top tier, but Bryan is mid tier, has obvious weaknesses, yet I still play him because he suits my playstyle and is fun to play. The rest of the cast is boring and I don't like the other 50 characters in the game lol.

When I get my copy of IGAU I will hop in the lab first with at least Deathstroke, Doomsday, Ares and Nightwing because they seem to have the tools that I find to my liking.

As for my thoughts on the subject of tier whoring are that people are not gonna do well with top characters they don't "feel" or feel instantly connected with when they hit the lab and see what tools they have and their mind goes blank, because they don't immediately feel attuned to how the character is supposed to be played. Instead, when you hit the lab with a character for the first time in a fighting game you should get an instant boner and your mind should start racing with thoughts of different possibilities and ways you can use the character. When you are truly passionate about a character you will cheer for the top players in tournament who play the same character, you will care about maximizing damage, you will care about new tech and setups and you will consequently become a better player of the character of your choice. If you just pick a top tier char and watch how he is supposed to be played before playing the char yourself, you are just copying everything and you will be predictable since the most used top tier characters are the ones tournament players will study the most on how to beat them and you will not catch anyone by surprise in a tournament. For example: Everyone and their mother plays Lars in TTT2 because he is easy to use, has all the tools you could hope for and can be paired with anybody. You fight or watch one Lars and you have seen them all, it's the exact same moves and flowcharting for everybody. Perfect Legend invented Kung Lao and everybody who counterpicks Kenshi with Kung Lao in a tourney is just practically a cheap knock off and tries to play like PL or at least this is what I see, since I don't play the character myself or care about him at all (sorry guize). What I am trying to say is that if you just tier whore and counter pick and winning is all that matters to you, you will never play any character at 100%. When the flowcharting fails you need to bust out some risky stuff, something you figured out on your own in clutch situations when you see the opening to win the match and this is what separates a true character loyalist from someone who is just copying everything from some top player. If the worst your character has is a 6-4 disadvantage you should just grind through it and not resort to tier whoring/counter picking.

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
But Deathstroke is already OP. Every online player tells me so. :(

I'm still pretty sure I picked Stroke because I knew he's good though. I guess we'll find out when everybody doesn't suck. :v
Sorry, hes not OP. Online scrubs just can't deal with him. Try dominating at an offline tournament like you do online with him.

Zoidberg747

Amen. Some people, usually not the pros and extremely high level players, forget about the experience when they drop their main of a few months or more and pick up someone new just because he/she/it got ranked higher on the tier list. That ends up screwing them over.

By the way, a like for you for playing Baraka. I haven't faced a single Baraka in MK9. EVER, I BS you not.
I know of 5 offline ones. Online maybe 10 lol