What's new

Throws

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Well yeah that's silly, but I don't know why we have to have such a dominant guess-based mechanic at all. Strike/throw mixups are all well and good but there's other games that do them better, Tekken has throw tech windows like twice as long as MK's, not to mention that in T7 throws can be broken with a universal input besides command throws.
I'm sure there's other stuff you're guessing on in Tekken that leads to significant damage. It's in every FG.

jcbowie

...more deadly than the dawn.
Yeah but there are throws basically taking half your lifebar so it figures. Man I love Gigas
Yeah I agree, but that's kinda my point man. Throw KB's combined with someone like Erron who can get like 25%ish easily with his DOT setup into throw give throws wayyyy disproportionately more power than in previous NRS games. Not only that, but a bunch of throws give such great oki potential that you're basically stuck on the defense again with high chance to eat another throw against some characters with godlike staggers. Geras is the predominant example, but there's others too.

Since throw animations within a character are universal, with no visual distinction between forward and back throws, shouldn't the break also be universal? I wouldn't even care about the short tech window if the tech input was just the throw button.

Wigy

There it is...
Issue with nerfing throw hitboxes and throws in general is that some characters are hella reliant on them as a good mid check.

If you Wana nerf grabs nerf all the obnoxious staggers and dumbass strings.

You can't really complain about getting grabbed on knockdown, there is hella options there. Neutral/footsies grabs are so easy cause of how dumb a lot of characters play.

Frost would be absolutely the worst if grabs were nerfed

Last edited:

jcbowie

I'm sure there's other stuff you're guessing on in Tekken that leads to significant damage. It's in every FG.
Yeah, but this particular MK meta revolves much more heavily around this particular guess scenario. Tekken has 50/50's, sure, but they don't dominate the game at all.

This game is pretty much about establishing your own strike/throw situation with powerful mid staggers into throws that are self-contained 50/50's which usually set you up into oki where you're very likely to face the same situation a moment later. A big distinction between good and bad characters in this game is in how efficiently you can set up a strike/throw scenario, because most characters can be played very safely but fewer characters have the overwhelming stagger potential to perform this kind of offense.

And then there's characters like Sonya with separate issues too, obviously.

jcbowie

Issue with nerfing throw hitboxes and throws in general is that some characters are hella reliant on them as a good mid check.

If you Wana nerf grabs nerf all the obnoxious staggers and dumbass strings.

You can't really complain about getting grabbed on knockdown, there is hella options there. Neutral/footsies grabs are so easy cause of how dumb a lot of characters play.
Agree with all this, especially since I think characters shouldn't be so reliant on throws.

Wigy

There it is...
Agree with all this, especially since I think characters shouldn't be so reliant on throws.
D1 into high string and grab should be the last bastion of counterplay to all fast frame mashing.

As d1 into high strings doesn't work with hitbox issues grabbing is absolutely essential for a lot of characters.

They seem to have given dank grab range to characters who don't need it.

Overall, grabs seem like a symptom of shitty poking mechanics, range needs nerfed on some.

jcbowie

D1 into high string and grab should be the last bastion of counterplay to all fast frame mashing.

As d1 into high strings doesn't work with hitbox issues grabbing is absolutely essential for a lot of characters.

Overall, grabs seem like a symptom of shitty poking mechanics, range needs nerfed on some.
Literally couldn't have said it better.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
This is the only fighting game out there with a 50/50 grab mechanic and throws that lead to 30+ percent. The only way to ensure 100 percent you don't get thrown is to do the 50/50 guess on the tech or commit to the neutral crouch where you could be full combo punished.

Instead of guessing high low like in mkx we are guessing on stagger pressure or strike and the stagger pressure can also lead back into another throw.

Not only that but the odds of landing that throw are significantly higher when staggered because if the opponent is late, the throw will swallow up their poke.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
This is the only fighting game out there with a 50/50 grab mechanic and throws that lead to 30+ percent. The only way to ensure 100 percent you don't get thrown is to do the 50/50 guess on the tech or commit to the neutral crouch where you could be full combo punished.

Instead of guessing high low like in mkx we are guessing on stagger pressure or strike and the stagger pressure can also lead back into another throw.

Not only that but the odds of landing that throw are significantly higher when staggered because if the opponent is late, the throw will swallow up their poke.
I don't mean 50/50 grabs -- I mean 50/50's, in general. The point is that every game has it's dirt. But I'd rather eat mostly 14% throws than reap the penalty for guessing wrong in a game like MKX.

throws can grab start up and recovery frames of moves.

Go into practice & record opponent doing d4. You will be able to stuff it if you do it before it’s active, & you’ll be able to whiff punish it with throw as well. It’s pretty dumb lol.

Last edited:

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
You hold set play in MK11 too since many throws give great oki for some reason.
The number of options you have on wakeup, the general lack of gratuitous plus frames and cancels you have to hold, and the fact that meter is separate and regenerates greatly reduce your chances of being forced into a braindead pressure situation on knockdown in MK11 as compared to MKX.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
The number of options you have on wakeup, the general lack of gratuitous plus frames and cancels you have to hold, and the fact that meter is separate and regenerates greatly reduce your chances of being forced into a braindead pressure situation on knockdown in MK11 as compared to MKX.
Well timed jump ins option select wake up options, so not really.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
I don't understand your argument.

Just because other games have dumb shit does not excuse this game for having dumb shit too.

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
Nah, if someone throws and you D2 it just as they do it, your D2 should count, not the throw.

Then this happens if it's not timed right:

They need to fix this shit. D2s should have priority over throws.
That is purely because Lao has a fucked up post-whiffed throw hurtbox. I neutral duck his throw and can't S1 punish him as Geras as it goes straight through him, I need to F2 instead

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
There's so much misinformation and/or misunderstanding of how shit works in this game it's triggering me.

Throws beating pokes and d2 during start up has been a thing since MKX and it's 100% a good thing. I don't want the game to turn into a poke mashfest.

Throws don't eat pokes after pokes have reached active frames (unless they're both active on the first frame at the same frame). If that happens to you then you just mistimed your shit.

If you read a throw and you want to punish with D2 YOU HAVE TO DUCK THE THROW, WAIT FOR IT TO WHIFF, THEN PRESS D2. You can't just willy-nilly press d2 out of plus frames and expect to win you nubs. Some d2 punishes whiff on throws because of fucked up hurtboxes and hitboxes and that should be fixed though (doubt it will though, fuck Liu Kang and his throw smh).

Throws are fine IMO but I'd be ok if they're made 12%. It won't make a difference though and you people will still bitch about them. I'm not buying this major problem with the game coming from a 2% increase on a throw lmao. The only thing I think should change is make KB throws activate after 2 consecutive wrong techs not one. KB throws are a bit cheap IMO.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
There's so much misinformation and/or misunderstanding of how shit works in this game it's triggering me.

Throws beating pokes and d2 during start up has been a thing since MKX and it's 100% a good thing. I don't want the game to turn into a poke mashfest.

Throws don't eat pokes after pokes have reached active frames (unless they're both active on the first frame at the same frame). If that happens to you then you just mistimed your shit.

If you read a throw and you want to punish with D2 YOU HAVE TO DUCK THE THROW, WAIT FOR IT TO WHIFF, THEN PRESS D2. You can't just willy-nilly press d2 out of plus frames and expect to win you nubs. Some d2 punishes whiff on throws because of fucked up hurtboxes and hitboxes and that should be fixed though (doubt it will though, fuck Liu Kang and his throw smh).

Throws are fine IMO but I'd be ok if they're made 12%. It won't make a difference though and you people will still bitch about them. I'm not buying this major problem with the game coming from a 2% increase on a throw lmao. The only thing I think should change is make KB throws activate after 2 consecutive wrong techs not one. KB throws are a bit cheap IMO.
Look at Charlie's screen shot braindead. Tell me how that isn't the most ludicrous looking thing when that Kano's grab has hit that noob who is in a low profile state and is a half a mile away. It looks even more dumb when it literally vacuums Noob in to complete the throw. (I've seen the video).

I don't think anyone in this thread is arguing AGAINST throws. We are arguing how insanely powerful they are especially in the online environment where lateness is very much a factor ON TOP of the frame delays in general connections.

Also really break down that D2 scenario. To punish a throw with a D2 or a standing one etc into full combo, you have to let go of block and neutral crouch. You literally have to give up every bastion of defense you have to predict that throw. Currently, that's the online meta...just let go of block and make a hard read. It's hilarious how many people I can open up by doing JK throw once, and then get JK String on block afterwards.

The issue with characters who do a "Step Back" after their throws is in fact REALLY dumb (Kang as you alluded to has this).

Sometimes it's due to the distance between characters (where your d1 or d3 will whiff due to their push back but their throw will reach you), other times it's due to lateness, but either way it's silly that a throw can handle so many different situations especially for certain characters.

The solution to this obviously, is to take the throw and tech it. Which is fine, except the online environment makes even that a task in itself and it's also another pure guess.

So the options for one damn move is to 1)Give up all of your defensive options (neutral duck) at the risk of eating a 9f mid from a lot of characters into full combo for the reward of a full combo against the opponent. 2) counter poke but still sometimes have it eaten by the throw (3% option that puts pressure in your favour or risk of 14% into their oki). 3)Block in anticipation of a string but are ready to tech the throw if need be, but still deal with the 50/50 tech and the reward for all of this is either chip damage, throw tech damage, and a completely neutral situation afterwards.

Imo, a way to remedy it, is to give help balance that risk/reward a little more for the defender. Even making throw techs with a little more advantage for the defender would help greatly....reducing some of the insane throw ranges would also help greatly as some of them (Scorps) are out of control. If throws are going to win trades on active frames, then they shouldn't out range most pokes and be faster than the pokes that would reach them (d4's)

Braindead

Look at Charlie's screen shot braindead. Tell me how that isn't the most ludicrous looking thing when that Kano's grab has hit that noob who is in a low profile state and is a half a mile away. It looks even more dumb when it literally vacuums Noob in to complete the throw. (I've seen the video).

I don't think anyone in this thread is arguing AGAINST throws. We are arguing how insanely powerful they are especially in the online environment where lateness is very much a factor ON TOP of the frame delays in general connections.

Also really break down that D2 scenario. To punish a throw with a D2 or a standing one etc into full combo, you have to let go of block and neutral crouch. You literally have to give up every bastion of defense you have to predict that throw. Currently, that's the online meta...just let go of block and make a hard read. It's hilarious how many people I can open up by doing JK throw once, and then get JK String on block afterwards.

The issue with characters who do a "Step Back" after their throws is in fact REALLY dumb (Kang as you alluded to has this).

Sometimes it's due to the distance between characters (where your d1 or d3 will whiff due to their push back but their throw will reach you), other times it's due to lateness, but either way it's silly that a throw can handle so many different situations especially for certain characters.

The solution to this obviously, is to take the throw and tech it. Which is fine, except the online environment makes even that a task in itself and it's also another pure guess.

So the options for one damn move is to 1)Give up all of your defensive options (neutral duck) at the risk of eating a 9f mid from a lot of characters into full combo for the reward of a full combo against the opponent. 2) counter poke but still sometimes have it eaten by the throw (3% option that puts pressure in your favour or risk of 14% into their oki). 3)Block in anticipation of a string but are ready to tech the throw if need be, but still deal with the 50/50 tech and the reward for all of this is either chip damage, throw tech damage, and a completely neutral situation afterwards.

Imo, a way to remedy it, is to give help balance that risk/reward a little more for the defender. Even making throw techs with a little more advantage for the defender would help greatly....reducing some of the insane throw ranges would also help greatly as some of them (Scorps) are out of control. If throws are going to win trades on active frames, then they shouldn't out range most pokes and be faster than the pokes that would reach them (d4's)
I might be mistaken but I'm about 99% sure Noob is in start up or recovery of a poke which extends his hurtbox. That's why the grab is connecting. If Noob is just standing/crouching at that distance without pressing a button the grab won't reach.
Extending hurtboxes like that is on purpose and natural to fighting games and is also a good idea. If you wanna commit to something there should be a drawback you have to worry about. You probably already know this theory and approve it's a good design.
(Edit: I just reread his post and he says he's doing a d3. So yeah like I said that extends the hurtbox. He just got unlucky the Kano threw a wild ass throw and it caught him there)

I doubt there's a single throw range in this game that is larger than a poke range. Except maybe Shang's throw. That shit is wild but then again there's a lot of wild shit about that character.

The whole thing about your options as a defender that you listed is...... defending? I mean if your opponent is in distance to pressure you then that's what you have to do? Try to react to throws? Online sucks but that's online shrug

The 50/50 on a throw is a fun mindgame IMO. If you know your opponent's character and your screen position you will be able to guess the direction of the incoming throw fairly successfully. Unless you're playing against a high enough leveled player who will reverse the direction on purpose to throw you off (pun intended) but then again that's a fun mindgame to play between you and your opponent. It's been like this since MK9 and it's fun. The only new thing in this game is the KB throw which as I stated I think is cheap and needs to be nerfed.

Last edited:

Braindead

View attachment 15414

NRS ...... PLEASE. Reveal your effing hitboxes.

I'm doing a d3 here and am CLEARLY plenty of distance away lol.

for reference.... the 3.00 MID is KANO's grab hitting me.
Charlie can you post the fullscreen shot without the zooming/cropping? I want to see if it says kounter/punish.

Edit: NVM I just read you already said you're doing a d3 lol

Last edited:

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Charlie can you post the fullscreen shot without the zooming/cropping? I want to see if it says kounter/punish.

Edit: NVM I just read you already said you're doing a d3 lol
But throws shouldnt be this giant rectangle that goes to the floor. They are naturally highs but become mids on extended hurt boxes...why?

It looks awful

Braindead

But throws shouldnt be this giant rectangle that goes to the floor. They are naturally highs but become mids on extended hurt boxes...why?

It looks awful
To prevent pokes from going under them lol. Dizzy said back in MKX that Paulo did this by design. He doesn't want pokes to low profile throws. Personally I think it would be horrible if pokes went under throws. Chars that lack fast mids would get fucked up.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
To prevent pokes from going under them lol. Dizzy said back in MKX that Paulo did this by design. He doesn't want pokes to low profile throws. Personally I think it would be horrible if pokes went under throws. Chars that lack fast mids would be fucked up.
I disagree. Id rather the poke Meta than this throw absorbing meta. Maybe it's just personal taste on my end.

Braindead

I disagree. Id rather the poke Meta than this throw absorbing meta. Maybe it's just personal taste on my end.
I mean it's like that in I think every single fighter out there. Throws are (usually?) mids at least in all other FGs I've played. Just think of throws as mids in this game like all other games (while keeping in mind that you can make it whiff on command) and you'll be good lol.

Edit: I asked around and it seems in some 3D games like Tekken throws are highs that can be low crushed. But it seems to be common in 2D games to have mid throws.