What's new

Throws

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
I mean it's like that in I think every single fighter out there. Throws are (usually?) mids at least in all other FGs I've played. Just think of throws as mids in this game like all other games (while keeping in mind that you can make it whiff on command) and you'll be good lol.

Not trying to go in circles but throws in this game are nothing like throws in other games (outside of NRS) Injustice did not have the throw range this game does, street fighter ranges aren't there either. Most games have a single way to tech (sf has crazy fast throws but a simple tech system) DBFZ has slow throws that are techable but rangy and damaging. I wouldn't say any game has a throw system like MK11 with what they cover and what they give and the defensive options against them.

Imagine if in SF, a Ryu does a crouching medium but it go absorbed by Ken's throw from outside of the crouching medium range. There would be riots.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Not trying to go in circles but throws in this game are nothing like throws in other games (outside of NRS) Injustice did not have the throw range this game does, street fighter ranges aren't there either. Most games have a single way to tech (sf has crazy fast throws but a simple tech system) DBFZ has slow throws that are techable but rangy and damaging. I wouldn't say any game has a throw system like MK11 with what they cover and what they give and the defensive options against them.

Imagine if in SF, a Ryu does a crouching medium but it go absorbed by Ken's throw from outside of the crouching medium range. There would be riots.
That can absolutely happen in SF. Same in Inj2. I really don't see what the issue is in that screenshot. Here it is again, with orange being Kano's throw hitbox, and blue being Noob's d3 hurtbox. It's easy to see why the throw would land here. I'm like 100% sure this can happen in SFV and Inj2.

Braindead

@TakeAChance I have both Inj2 and SFV and when I get home in a few hours I will record this same exact scenario in those games and see if this happens or not lol. Will post the videos here.

Braindead

One last thing: This is not throws exclusive. If Kano did a d1 there instead of throw if would've hit Noob even though there's no physical contact. It's just because Noob's hurtbox is extended during the start up frames, even before the animation comes out. This was mentioned in the tutorial of MK11 lol. This is done so you can play a good footsie game with proper spacing and whiff punishing.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
That can absolutely happen in SF. Same in Inj2. I really don't see what the issue is in that screenshot. Here it is again, with orange being Kano's throw hitbox, and blue being Noob's d3 hurtbox. It's easy to see why the throw would land here. I'm like 100% sure this can happen in SFV and Inj2.
View attachment 15430
In this photo, Noobs d3 hasn't even started to extend yet, im not even sure if the hit box for his d3 would be out or if his hurt box is extended yet...it's nice that you drew boxes, but I mean I could draw boxed in a similar manner showing how the throw hitboxes are massive...I wish we could see the actual boxes :(

Braindead

In this photo, Noobs d3 hasn't even started to extend yet, im not even sure if the hit box for his d3 would be out or if his hurt box is extended yet...it's nice that you drew boxes, but I mean I could draw boxed in a similar manner showing how the throw hitboxes are massive...I wish we could see the actual boxes :(
You can easily test this to see I'm right by recreating the same scenario in practice mode and see that neither the throw or the poke would connect on it's own at a distance like that, but if both thrown with throw being a few frames earlier than the poke it would work. The same would happen if u do other pokes/mids/etc instead of throws.

BTW I just double checked and I was wrong, in SFV this won't happen because throws in that game have a special hurtbox. There's a hurtbox for normals and a hurtbox for throws or what you can call a "throwable area". So this won't happen as commonly as in MK games, maybe just on some selected moves that were designed to be thrown from a range. Good design.

jcbowie

...more deadly than the dawn.
Throws beating pokes and d2 during start up has been a thing since MKX and it's 100% a good thing. I don't want the game to turn into a poke mashfest.
See I personally would rather have a pokefest than a throwfest like it is now. I think if you increase/adjust poke block recovery and hit advantage in addition to nerfing throws then we can have a game that's a lot more about spacing and timing pokes and footsies, with a lot more punishment for playing carelessly since just mashing d1 wouldn't be viable. Would really prefer that to just looping strike/throws setups.

If you read a throw and you want to punish with D2 YOU HAVE TO DUCK THE THROW, WAIT FOR IT TO WHIFF, THEN PRESS D2. You can't just willy-nilly press d2 out of plus frames and expect to win you nubs. Some d2 punishes whiff on throws because of fucked up hurtboxes and hitboxes and that should be fixed though (doubt it will though, fuck Liu Kang and his throw smh).
That's what everyone is complaining about with these throws though, why does the hitbox reach so ridiculously far and deep relative not only to grabs in other games/NRS' prior games, but also relative to the actual animations of the character performing it. It's dumb, and hitbox related issues are another huge part of why throws need to be adjusted in this game. Honestly they should just give more pokes priority to low profile throw hitboxes if they're going to leave them as is. Not to mention, like that clip showed, with Lao and others with janky throw recovery it's ridiculously hard to specifically time the d2 to punish their throw attempt.

Throws are fine IMO but I'd be ok if they're made 12%. It won't make a difference though and you people will still bitch about them. I'm not buying this major problem with the game coming from a 2% increase on a throw lmao. The only thing I think should change is make KB throws activate after 2 consecutive wrong techs not one. KB throws are a bit cheap IMO.
Literally no one in this entire thread is complaining that throws do 2% more base damage as the root of their issue with the system. The additional base damage is just icing on the 50/50, huge hitbox, inconsistent punishability, loopable oki, Krushing Blow 30%, Erron Black DOT 25-50% cake of what's wrong with the current throw system. No one complained about throws in I2 or in MKX, because in I2 we had a one button break which makes sense for visually identical throw animations, and in MKX there were bigger problems and throws weren't as powerful. But hey, if everyone else is a rabid supporter of the game being hugely based around loopable stagger strike/throw situations then that's the way it is.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
You can easily test this to see I'm right by recreating the same scenario in practice mode and see that neither the throw or the poke would connect on it's own at a distance like that, but if both thrown with throw being a few frames earlier than the poke it would work. The same would happen if u do other pokes/mids/etc instead of throws.

BTW I just double checked and I was wrong, in SFV this won't happen because throws in that game have a special hurtbox. There's a hurtbox for normals and a hurtbox for throws or what you can call a "throwable area". So this won't happen as commonly as in MK games, maybe just on some selected moves that were designed to be thrown from a range. Good design.
I actually did go and recreate this. I'll post the video.

Braindead

@Braindead

So I believe you are correct, Noob's Hurtbox is being extended, but look how looney this looks....this shouldn't happen with a throw, he literally gets sucked in like a vacuum.
Lol yeah I know it looks janky. I've been seeing this a lot since MKX especially with Sun God Kotal because I used his command grab a LOT. I thought this happened in games like SFV because I know you can hit people like that with hurtbox extensions but as I said throws are treated differently there than normals. Would be a good idea if it's implemented in MK11 too but at least throws have a shit ton of recovery in this game so if someone's randomly doing throws at such ranges it should be easy to punish them heavily.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Lol yeah I know it looks janky. I've been seeing this a lot since MKX especially with Sun God Kotal because I used his command grab a LOT. I thought this happened in games like SFV because I know you can hit people like that with hurtbox extensions but as I said throws are treated differently there than normals. Would be a good idea if it's implemented in MK11 too but at least throws have a shit ton of recovery in this game so if someone's randomly doing throws at such ranges it should be easy to punish them heavily.
Agreed, but I hope you understand everything the damn throw covers. The risk reward is a little out of whack with them.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I don't mean 50/50 grabs -- I mean 50/50's, in general. The point is that every game has it's dirt. But I'd rather eat mostly 14% throws than reap the penalty for guessing wrong in a game like MKX.
except ya know..... you can eat 300 damage on a throw for guessing wrong, which is essentially the equivalent.

Braindead

BTW I'm not sure everyone knows this because the panic seems to be a bit too much, but if your opponent has a throw KB loaded, and you tech a throw correctly they lose their throw KB. They'd have to activate it again. Learning your opponent's character throw options helps a lot.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
View attachment 15430
Yeah but the d3 isn't active yet.

well... visually at least.

I don't think you could reproduce THIS screenshot in another game.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
except ya know..... you can eat 300 damage on a throw for guessing wrong, which is essentially the equivalent.
Once a match, maybe, only under certain circumstances. You were eating that every time previously for guessing wrong on pressure. You can’t really compare those two.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Once a match, maybe, only under certain circumstances. You were eating that every time previously for guessing wrong on pressure. You can’t really compare those two.
But it does happen.... and it happens more often than not because people still think teching in this game is worth the risk.

So yes..... i def. can compare these two in the scenario you've used.

What you can't do is simply "hand wave" away the fact that in this scenario.... they're exactly the same.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Dude, Throws should not have a property to absorb low profiling normals...especially when they are 10f. Street Fighter Doesn't have it as concluded above, DBFZ doesn't have it, MK9 didn't have it....I'm not to sure how they worked in Injustice 2 I kind of forget if they were the same or not...but regardless, they shouldn't be able to collide with a low profile hurt box like shown in my video and vacuum an opponent in...They should both whiff.

The fact they don't is quite disturbing when you see a player being sucked in from that kind of range because a throws hit box reaches the floor. When I get the chance I want to check priority of throws vs normals and see which one wins on the first active frame.

Last edited:

Braindead

The fact they don't is quite disturbing when you see a player being sucked in from that kind of range because a throws hurt box reaches the floor. When I get the chance I want to check priority of throws vs normals and see which one wins on the first active frame.
I think they'll trade. I think throws only beat pokes (d2 is a poke).

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
So I have tested this and it's messed up.

Unless I'm off by a frame, reversal throws (9f) will sometimes beat a 9f normal. It's weird and I need to look into this a little further and make sure everything is as tight as it can be. But right now I have it down to at least -2 frames...I'll test it more later.

Braindead

So I have tested this and it's messed up.

Unless I'm off by a frame, reversal throws (9f) will sometimes beat a 9f normal. It's weird and I need to look into this a little further and make sure everything is as tight as it can be. But right now I have it down to at least -2 frames...I'll test it more later.
If you get a single trade then that's it there's no priority and you can put the rest down to mistiming or spacing/travel time. If either move has a priority they should never trade

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
how would a throw and a normal "trade"

My guess is that the throw wins based on the property of osmosis.

I think in the phenomenon that they hit on the same frame... there will always be a winner. Who that is..... my educated guess is the throw.

Vhozite

Waiting on SF6
Is the hurtbox on normals throw-able? Because in that video with noob getting vacuumed by Kano that's how it looks. If that's how the hurtboxes work that's stupid as fuck.