What's new

General/Other - Sub-Zero Thoughts on these Sub-Zero Buffs? (Community feedback please?)

ZeZe

The smart stuff!

This video is highly irreverent and speaks nothing of legitimate match footage or strategies, but, as an unapologetic Unbreakable downplayer I'd rather make a dramatic and whiny video and have it get a ton of clicks for awareness alone than be modest and say, 'I think he's fine mostly.' That being said. I think Unbreakable would need the following adjustments to not only be at parity with Subby's other two variations but also keep up with the absurdly high-octane offensive madhouse that is MKX.

Ice Shield Recovery frames reduced- This move cannot safely nullify projectiles as it was advertised to do. The moment you absorb one you are stuck in horrendous recovery to either get hit by another one or have your opponent run in on you. The move should still be punishable enough on whiff, as any parry, should be, but right now one incorrect read gets you billed half way across the stage and with 40% less health. I don't think that's a welcome trade-off considering 26% is going to be your strongest reward for doing so. Right now this move is best suited for punishing string gaps---- and that's if you have the meter required and know what they all are.

Ice Shield absorbed projectiles grant Subby a nominal amount of meter- if our opponent is going to be gaining meter on a projectile we absorb with the shield, we should at least gain an equivalent of amount of meter for doing so.

Ice Aura/Ex Aura- Subby gains a small amount of meter while blocking attacks with Ice Aura active/Subby gains a larger amount of meter for blocking attacks while Ex Aura is active

Finally give Subby an Anti-Air:

Either A- Give him his ice burst/bomb on db1 and switch Ice Aura to dd3 OR B- Ice Sheild Parries Jump-ins. Not both.

Luxury/Probably Won't Happen or Isn't Needed Buff:

Buff slide damage while Ice Aura is active by 2%

That's it guys. I know the video is silly, but I hope my buff proposals aren't too hard to swallow.
"Never allowed to live" cracked me up :cool:

Faster recovery on shield, some reliable anti-air the other two variations have and maybe just maybe a bit of meter building for hitting Sub with active ice aura and/or dmg slightly increased when EX aura is on. Would give good reason to spend meter on aura. So far it's usable only against AOE heavy characters like Noxious Reptile or Outlaw Erron.

Endeavor

I'll live a villain, before I die a hero.
That's where you are wrong. You are at NEUTRAL. Both characters have to respect each other. Implying that sub zero is somehow in a mad position after doing a standing reset on an opponent is nonsense. Sorry you actually have to think about what you opponent may do next, and punish them accordingly
Yes because thinking about the 4 ways you can say "fuck you" to my reset isn't a bad position at all. No no, your right I should waste the effort to have a you reset and guess which of the 4 options that your cycling through at any give point and guess right each time. Yes because that makes to much sense, and as amazingly fun as that sounds I'll just go back to taking my hard knock down into my GUARANTEED clone set up where I only have to think about 1 of those options. ONCE AGAIN I'm not saying I don't want to have to think, what i am saying is I don't want to have to think about 4 different scenarios and hope that the one I pick is the right one.

protools27

Rebel without a scene
ONCE AGAIN I'm not saying I don't want to have to think, what i am saying is I don't want to have to think about 4 different scenarios and hope that the one I pick is the right one.
so your not saying you don't want to have to think, you just don't want to have to think about 4 options, which would be thinking? if that's the case then yea, I would recommend sticking with grandmaster sub and his clone to limit the amount of thinking you have to do after a knockdown. (not a upplay of clone at all or saying GM sub is Op, just saying the idea that your somehow at a disadvantage after landing a neutral standing reset is retarted)
Fuck it, lets make it plus 15 on hit, as to minimize the amount of thinking one must do after landing a reset. Lets also make Cyro Sub an automatic +15 at the start of every match, as its to bothersome to have to think about what the opponent may or may not do in what would be a neutral situation. Clearly in a neutral situation, sub zero has no options, he just has to hold whatever the opponent does next and hope for the best.

Last edited:

Endeavor

so your not saying you don't want to have to think, you just don't want to have to think about 4 options, which would be thinking? if that's the case then yea, I would recommend sticking with grandmaster sub and his clone to limit the amount of thinking you have to do after a knockdown. (not a upplay of clone at all or saying GM sub is Op, just saying the idea that your somehow at a disadvantage after landing a neutral standing reset is retarted)
Fuck it, lets make it plus 15 on hit, as to minimize the amount of thinking one must do after landing a reset. Lets also make Cyro Sub an automatic +15 at the start of every match, as its to bothersome to have to think about what the opponent may or may not do in what would be a neutral situation. Clearly in a neutral situation, sub zero has no options, he just has to hold whatever the opponent does next and hope for the best.
Are you serious, actually scratch that I already know the answer. For the last damn time, I'm not saying he should have some sort of absurd frame advantage like +15, that is dumb even by my standards, but him being at +5 or +7 would not be over powered or stupid by any sense cause you can STILL armor out. When pumped up jax does regular gottcha grab the only thing you can do is, block or armor, he does this for no meter and he has mix up as well. Im only asking to be able to limit my opponent to the same 2 options as he does. Not run brain dead mix up and inescapable pressure for no reason. My opponent having 4 ways to disrespect me at minimum to no risk to them is dumb, and there is no way you can justify that. The whole point of the re-stand is for me take away their wake up game while still maintaining my pressure or mix up. With the move being neutral that option is not there due to the fact that I have to stop everything to consider the 4 or 5 options that have to get away, versus the 2 options, 3 if they have full meter that Jax in pumped up who does the SAME THING has to consider. So yes your right I don't want think, not about 4/5 options at once. Cause in tournament if I need to clutch a match out, Id rather say, Oh lost to the one other option he had vs, I had to stop because I had to "think" about the other 5 he had, and he got away. That kind guessing game is something I dont think any player would want to partake in at high level or even a casual level. Hell at least Cassie has EX Nut Cracker to grantee her mix up and pressure, Cryo has nothing of the sort. In fact I challenge you to play this game for a day and never use EX nut cracker and then come back and tell me about your experience. And make sure to play good and competent players.

protools27

Rebel without a scene
Are you serious, actually scratch that I already know the answer. For the last damn time, I'm not saying he should have some sort of absurd frame advantage like +15, that is dumb even by my standards, but him being at +5 or +7 would not be over powered or stupid by any sense cause you can STILL armor out. When pumped up jax does regular gottcha grab the only thing you can do is, block or armor, he does this for no meter and he has mix up as well. Im only asking to be able to limit my opponent to the same 2 options as he does. Not run brain dead mix up and inescapable pressure for no reason. My opponent having 4 ways to disrespect me at minimum to no risk to them is dumb, and there is no way you can justify that. The whole point of the re-stand is for me take away their wake up game while still maintaining my pressure or mix up. With the move being neutral that option is not there due to the fact that I have to stop everything to consider the 4 or 5 options that have to get away, versus the 2 options, 3 if they have full meter that Jax in pumped up who does the SAME THING has to consider. So yes your right I don't want think, not about 4/5 options at once. Cause in tournament if I need to clutch a match out, Id rather say, Oh lost to the one other option he had vs, I had to stop because I had to "think" about the other 5 he had, and he got away. That kind guessing game is something I dont think any player would want to partake in at high level or even a casual level. Hell at least Cassie has EX Nut Cracker to grantee her mix up and pressure, Cryo has nothing of the sort. In fact I challenge you to play this game for a day and never use EX nut cracker and then come back and tell me about your experience. And make sure to play good and competent players.
You should look up the definition of neutral in a fighting game. There is no way for the opponent to disrespect you when your neutral. You and your opponent have equal opportunity to use whatever tools you have. Also look up yomi and conditioning. You say the opponent has 4 or 5 options and sub has a way to beat out all those options, or go for his own offense once he's conditioned the opponent to respect him.

Endeavor

You should look up the definition of neutral in a fighting game. There is no way for the opponent to disrespect you when your neutral. You and your opponent have equal opportunity to use whatever tools you have. Also look up yomi and conditioning. You say the opponent has 4 or 5 options and sub has a way to beat out all those options, or go for his own offense once he's conditioned the opponent to respect him.
Ok so I was just in training mode and I did whatever into that reset, and you know what I found? That against himself, the Sub-Zero that got hit can, beat out the the other Subs d4 with his own D4, which is 9 frames by the way, he can back dash, he can armor frost bomb he can armor slide, he can regular slide, and he can jump away. I he has full meter her can Xray He can even use 1,1 before the Sub that hit him can do anything. Also since I know you play subzero more specifiacally cryomancer, You do realize that the only normals hes in range for is B2 and D4 and all my opponents options get more viable the second I go for that overhead. So Im gonna say this one more time, why, should I after I hit you, go back to neutral? Btw the neutral in this game barely exists what with "Oh did I get hit? Fuck it time to armor." "Oh what did you wanna play neutral, fuck that shit imma jump and put you in this 50/50." And clearly your not reading what Im typing. Ok I take that back your reading what Im typing but your clearly don't comprehend it. Im not saying Im getting disrespected in neutral. Im saying that when I do this combo ender the situation I am in after make absolutely no sense for what the move does. FYI its impossible to condition someone if they know that there is never a reason to really respect you, that is ludicrous. And yes I know what Yomi, is but why would I want to have to continuously have to yomi after my combo end while, your on character, for the low, low price of one bar of meter has to do no such thing in same exact situation? That is fucking preposterous.

Last edited:

LucaTheRipper

RULES OF NATURE!
That is true some of the things suggested are not really viable like f42 1+3 to be heavily plus on block, I personally don't think that is a good idea cuz it would be over powered. Having that ender be slightly plus or stay neutral would be way better.

BUT anything said in here is not set into stone, we're here to discuss and it's unavoidable that some of the suggestions will not be good.

Cryo has some tools that need more polish to them, the same with SZ as a whole.
SZ mains are in agreement that the character doesn't need dramatic buffs or fixes.

Give Cryo a lil bit more pressure, somebody suggested a hammer cancel and I'm liking that idea if done correctly, we are not asking for Cryo to be Hellfire 2.0.
Fix the interaction between SZ moves and character hitboxes, stuff whiffing and not coming out when it should, that stuff needs to go.
Unbreakable parry catches jumpins and the klone not allowing jabs to go through it without opponents getting frozen, ALL OF THIS will not make SZ S++++ tier it will only round him off.

It's people that don't main SZ or understand the character at the basic of levels that come in every SZ thread and post stupid shit how his tools are "top 5" and moan about SZ mains trying to suggest things that would round off the character THAT PISSES ME THE FUCK OFF!!!
You wrote this to the wrong person pal. I suggest you to take a look at some other replies at this thread, first i'm not saying anything like in cryo he's perfectly fine and doesnt need any fix man i only said that i saw some nonsense suggestions, not everything here lol rethink what are you gonna say and for WHO you will say it...

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
But THAT is the point of Cryomancer, to pressure and get damage. That is supposed to be his aggressive rush down variation. Why give us the ender if it means nothing, yes we take away out opponents wake up option but it not like they are in a position to have to respect out next option while we ourselves are in a position to have to respect their next option. I'm not saying they shouldn't have a why out, I think you should be able to armor out but if I reset you standing, you shouldn't have 4 different and completely viable options out of said situations. I'm not asking to not have to think, I'm asking for you not to be able toget away for free when you get hit.
It's not supposed to be his aggressive Rushdown variation at all, he has no easier time getting in than any other other variation, and ends on a nuetral reset. You've just decided that this is what you want it to be, which is why your suggested buffs do nothing to work with the design of the character, instead turning him into something brain dead flow chart machine.

Endeavor

It's not supposed to be his aggressive Rushdown variation at all, he has no easier time getting in than any other other variation, and ends on a nuetral reset. You've just decided that this is what you want it to be, which is why your suggested buffs do nothing to work with the design of the character, instead turning him into something brain dead flow chart machine.
Which one of MY suggested buffs make him brain dead and flow charty? Do tell. Also tell me what the variation is supposed to do then hm? his defensive options are pitiful, he isnt going to zone you, and dont you dare say "Oh hes a footies character" cause that would require him to have a way to force the opponent to actually PLAY neutral, which he does not. So tell me, what is this variation again?

Last edited:

I GOT HANDS

The ones where you said he needs a frame advantage after his ender, which he doesn't at all, and actually makes him less likely to get in, on a character that needs the opportunities. If I'm playing against Sub Zero and he suddenly has a frame advantage, I'm just going to block, considering he's only in range of one of his openers, and everything he does will immediately give those frames back since nothing is plus on block. So now he's less likely to get a follow up to his ender than before, your opponent WILL be blocking that gives you like 3 follow up options, B2, D4, and Slide. These as your only options, the risk/reward just isn't there. The nuetral reset is a thing of beauty. You keep asking for plus frames, but I don't know what you are going to do with them. Either that or you get enough frames to run in and 50/50 again, making this character basically "you have no wake up options and if I touch you anywhere even once you are now caught in the meterless 33/33/33 vortex". Both options are bad,make the character less interesting and useful. Honestly, you have to look a little deeper, frame advantage on ender just makes it less likely that he's gonna get in.

All he needs is another footsies tool, and possibly slightly better start up or DOUBLE ARMOR because spending the meter that he fights so hard for and lives and breathes by, and desperately needs to use in the nuetral to make up for his lack of Clone, shouldn't have like 30 frames to cancel. I can accept Ice Burst and Hammer being YingYang and completely covering each other's hitbox so needing to use the right one, however Hammer just needs to work a bit better in its role, unfortunately making it faster makes it a crazy mix up tool (it's just at the reactable point right now) , so, crazy or not I think it actually needs the double armour, letting him reliably beat out strings and other armour with it which is Hammers main role. Smaller start up would be fun too, but be a LOT stronger lol

Last edited:

RVB

twitch.tv/rvblacktail
@LucaTheRipper the first sentence was for you the REST was for the cryo discussion, if you didn't realize that then you should take your own advice and take a better look at the posts.

MUERTE

Banned
lmfao the sub zero community has got to be the biggest bicthes in MKX kommunity. All you do is cry!! Sub Zero is wayy stronger than at least half the cast and you are still crying... STFU AND LEVEL UP!!!! Damn Brady u see what you did? now u got all your sheep crying with you

RVB

twitch.tv/rvblacktail
lmfao the sub zero community has got to be the biggest bicthes in MKX kommunity. All you do is cry!! Sub Zero is wayy stronger than at least half the cast and you are still crying... STFU AND LEVEL UP!!!! Damn Brady u see what you did? now u got all your sheep crying with you
Give this lil fellow here a round of applause for trying to troll his heart out.
Don't worry lil man I'll get you some ice cream and some soda pop and everything will be better.

I GOT HANDS

Look at your post history bro. Every single post.

"You're a nobody, you're all scrubs, level up ur execution this shit is free, stay free scrubs, you're a fucking idiot, what a jobber statement, who cares if I'm a nobody, you're a bigger nobody, you sound like someone who likes the smell of his own farts, you're the whiniest bitches, level up"

All from the first page of your profile. Almost every single post you make is like this. You have a serious a complex or you are like 14 years old.

Last edited:

RVB

twitch.tv/rvblacktail
@LucaTheRipper I was too lazy to make a separate post :oops:
Honestly the first sentence was me agreeing with you and the rest was general talk, sorry if I came off like trying to insult you or anything

Endeavor

The ones where you said he needs a frame advantage after his ender, which he doesn't at all, and actually makes him less likely to get in, on a character that needs the opportunities. If I'm playing against Sub Zero and he suddenly has a frame advantage, I'm just going to block, considering he's only in range of one of his openers, and everything he does will immediately give those frames back since nothing is plus on block. So now he's less likely to get a follow up to his ender than before, your opponent WILL be blocking that gives you like 3 follow up options, B2, D4, and Slide. These as your only options, the risk/reward just isn't there. The nuetral reset is a thing of beauty. You keep asking for plus frames, but I don't know what you are going to do with them. Either that or you get enough frames to run in and 50/50 again, making this character basically "you have no wake up options and if I touch you anywhere even once you are now caught in the meterless 33/33/33 vortex". Both options are bad,make the character less interesting and useful. Honestly, you have to look a little deeper, frame advantage on ender just makes it less likely that he's gonna get in.

All he needs is another footsies tool, and possibly slightly better start up or DOUBLE ARMOR because spending the meter that he fights so hard for and lives and breathes by, and desperately needs to use in the nuetral to make up for his lack of Clone, shouldn't have like 30 frames to cancel. I can accept Ice Burst and Hammer being YingYang and completely covering each other's hitbox so needing to use the right one, however Hammer just needs to work a bit better in its role, unfortunately making it faster makes it a crazy mix up tool (it's just at the reactable point right now) , so, crazy or not I think it actually needs the double armour, letting him reliably beat out strings and other armour with it which is Hammers main role. Smaller start up would be fun too, but be a LOT stronger lol
Ok I'm just going to let you have this casue clearly your not reading or understanding what Im saying at all, so its all yours, you win.

protools27

Rebel without a scene
Ok so I was just in training mode and I did whatever into that reset, and you know what I found? That against himself, the Sub-Zero that got hit can, beat out the the other Subs d4 with his own D4, which is 9 frames by the way, he can back dash, he can armor frost bomb he can armor slide, he can regular slide, and he can jump away. I he has full meter her can Xray He can even use 1,1 before the Sub that hit him can do anything. Also since I know you play subzero more specifiacally cryomancer, You do realize that the only normals hes in range for is B2 and D4 and all my opponents options get more viable the second I go for that overhead. So Im gonna say this one more time, why, should I after I hit you, go back to neutral? Btw the neutral in this game barely exists what with "Oh did I get hit? Fuck it time to armor." "Oh what did you wanna play neutral, fuck that shit imma jump and put you in this 50/50." And clearly your not reading what Im typing. Ok I take that back your reading what Im typing but your clearly don't comprehend it. Im not saying Im getting disrespected in neutral. Im saying that when I do this combo ender the situation I am in after make absolutely no sense for what the move does. FYI its impossible to condition someone if they know that there is never a reason to really respect you, that is ludicrous. And yes I know what Yomi, is but why would I want to have to continuously have to yomi after my combo end while, your on character, for the low, low price of one bar of meter has to do no such thing in same exact situation? That is fucking preposterous.
Every option you listed for your opponent is also available to you, because as I've said numerous times, your neutral. Your not locked into blocking or doing the overhead, your neutral you can do whatever you want. And if someone is poking after every restand, then blow it up with armor slide, block and take your frame advantage, or jump in yourself and start pressure. That's how you condition them, blow up the poke with armor and they hesitate before poking again. The main point I'm making is that you have every option your opponent has, and an option to blow up most of the options they have. Like @I GOT HANDS is saying, if you just use his footsie tools or if hammer was a bit better, he wouldn't need advantage after the ender.

Last edited:

Samsara

Resident Cynic
I honestly think that f421+3 is fine as it is, if you think he needs the advantage than that's fine, but as it is now that move is more than fair for both players. I'm more concerned about air hammer being worthless and his variation specific strings having limited/no practical applications. Does anyone have feelings about those elements of Cryo?

I GOT HANDS

I honestly think that f421+3 is fine as it is, if you think he needs the advantage than that's fine, but as it is now that move is more than fair for both players. I'm more concerned about air hammer being worthless and his variation specific strings having limited/no practical applications. Does anyone have feelings about those elements of Cryo?
This is basically where it's at. His strings do absolutely nothing for him or his role, hell they are useless for everyone. The improved D2 is a good start, thats about it tho

Samsara

Resident Cynic
It's not that the Cryo strings don't have potential... my max conversion off his f122 is 37% with a bar of meter, it also has decent corner carry. 111 is the one I have an issue with, it doesn't even have enough hit advantage to link into anything but slide or ice/burst/bomb---- I can get about 34% with a bar even though that's an incredible waste. This being said, his b12, b33, d4, b2, and even his 12 have better utility. I have to remind myself that f122 and 111 even exist to even justify throwing those strings out.

unbreakable should be able to hold the shield for a super long time and let go with almost no recovery, and EX should surround him in an igloo for crossups and jump ins, and ice aura should make it so that if you do a combo on him, that damage hurts you instead, and he should have the MK vs DC teleport