What's new

General/Other - Sub-Zero Thoughts on these Sub-Zero Buffs? (Community feedback please?)

Kanalratte

aka FROSTIE
That's where you are wrong. You are at NEUTRAL. Both characters have to respect each other. Implying that sub zero is somehow in a bad position after doing a standing reset on an opponent is nonsense. Sorry you actually have to think about what you opponent may do next, and punish them accordingly
as Subzeeros said, it is supposed to be his rushdown/aggressive variation. with this combo ender, you simply can't rushdown. even worse, this ender can shift momentum towards your opponent.

ZeZe

The smart stuff!
Predator has cloak which is mitigating damage (less chip damage for sure, not sure if less damage on hit as well) and EX version mitigates damage and no chip damage on block (in all variations as I understand it). Pred does 32-34% mid screen combos easily, judging from the footage from Kombat kast and is capable of far more. There is no buff I can think of that would make Unbreakable more interesting then Pred, who already got his no-chip-taken tool. The only thing is parry, which is tricky against jump-ins that are pretty OP in general. Things don't look sweet for Unbreakable. :coffee:

Last edited:

Samsara

Resident Cynic
Predator has cloak which is mitigating damage (less chip damage for sure, not sure if less damage on hit as well) and EX version mitigates damage and no chip damage on block (in all variations as I understand it). Pred does 32-34% mid screen combos easily, judging from the footage from Kombat kast and is capable of far more. There is no buff I can think of that would make Unbreakable more interesting then Pred, who already got his no-chip-taken tool. The only thing is parry, which is tricky against jump-ins that are pretty OP in general. Things don't look sweet for Unbreakable. :coffee:
Unbreakable seems 100% Obsolete as of the Predator release. It's ridiculous. I honestly don't even think NRS thought about what they were doing here.

Ryncage

Noob
Unbreakable seems 100% Obsolete as of the Predator release. It's ridiculous. I honestly don't even think NRS thought about what they were doing here.
No, its intentional. A good number of other games do this kind of thing too. If your new character is very strong on release, everyone hops In to enjoy it while it lasts, because you know the nerf bat is around the corner.

I just wish i had the game on release so i could enjoy a powerful sub zero for once. But pred seems to be his replacment so far. At least before the "fixes"

Gilbagz

Joker here~
Finally read through this thread. Just my 2 cents, which i've mentioned once before in a previous thread

Cryomancer
f1 - needs 13f start up instead of 15. This string is basically only used off a jump in because it has very little range and is slow to start. In cryo you don't use it as a combo ender because you have f4,2,1+3. In its current state it gets blown up by buffering armour during the block stun of the jump in. Yes you can bait that armour, but to successfully have a jump in blocked you should have some sort of reward instead of having to play another level of the armour mind game. I am fully aware sub-zeros j1 is hard to anti-air, but it is not imposible if you know the spacing on it. The hitbox is entirely vertical so this makes it extremely easy to tripguard. Regardless i'd rather see the hitbox on the j1 nerfed so that f1 is faster (would make people complain less about subzeros j1 as well)

f1,2,2 - needs to be -6 instead of -9. The f1 series is sub-zero's only true stagger string. There is a natural delay in f1,2,2 which lets you play mind games (bait armour, frame trap people, extend block strings etc). But when you finally do complete the string, you are left point blank for an easy jab punish. Yes the last hit is cancellable so you can try to play a mind game by cancelling into ice burst, but the cancel advantage is so low on f1,2,2 that you can press buttons before the ice burst even comes out. So either f1,2,2 needs to be made -6 OR the cancel advantage needs to be increased on ice burst such that you can't press buttons other than armour if you read the ice burst cancel. Also a MINOR gripe, f1,2,2 is a mid that whiffs on some crouching opponents due to breathing, so far i only know scorpion but would be not be surprised if it whiffe on some others. This does not make sense, especially with the last hit since it does have an uppercut motion which should catch crouchers.

Frost Hammer - this move needs to be sped up or made + on block(maybe +4/5). In its current state it is completely useless. There is no reason to use it as a combo ender because it does not connect at higher gravity scalings, is not fast enough to combo off other strings other than b1,2. And if you were to go for meterless damage you would combo into ice ball. Right now it used purely to build meter since it takes 6 blocked ice hammers to build one bar vs 7 blocked ice bursts. The start up should be decreased so it can be made to block string off f4, with that it would be a viable meter build tool while still being able to play a spacing game with f4 hammer. There should not be an armour mind game just to build meter slightly faster. If it is kept at its current speed, there should be some reward for forcing someone to block it as it is easy to armour through given its 36f of start up.

Icy Hammer - this move is fine in its current state. Despite it being slow, its slowness gives us a 'safer' option on armour reads. It generally wins armour vs armour battles (minus multi hit moves). Should be kept in its current state. If any changes are made, maybe the hitbox could be expanded to catch jumpers, otherwise it is perfectly fine.

Ice Burst - @I GOT HANDS. I disagree that this move is useless in cryo. Sub-zero has 3 armour moves that work for different situations. Mb slide as a fast option to catch people trying to break armour, mb ice burst as a general get off me move and mb hammer as the safe option for when you read armour. Maybe the mb version could pop up slightly higher to make follow ups more consistent when you armour a low poke.

f4,2,1+3 - as nice as it would be to make this plus, i don't think it is required. If anything it should be at best +2/3. It already auto spaces us to bully with d4. Most characters are forced to back dash, jump, armour or block. From there we can make reads. Yeah we don't brain dead get 50/50s like other characters, but cryomancer isnt that type of character. he appears to just be a good footsie with high damage. he does everything decently. the only characters i can think off that really get that advantage of f4,2,1+3 in the games current state is scorpion and kotal. Both these characters have d4s which match us and are faster. But kotal's d4 is punishable on block and scorpion we have better footsie tools than (maybe no ninjitsu).

Just my input on cryomancer. @I GOT HANDS. Me and you generally have the same view on cryomancer, only thing I disagree with is the uselessness of iceburst. That is still godlike. Even though its -10 and is armourable, its a good move. I have a few option selects with cryo which make this move basically unpunishable, gives us a meter building option and still gives us our damage.

Edit: Maybe 1,1,1 could have higher cancel advantage such than mb hammer connects off of it. Would increase cryo's punish potential.

Last edited:

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
Finally read through this thread. Just my 2 cents, which i've mentioned once before in a previous thread

Cryomancer
f1 - needs 13f start up instead of 15. This string is basically only used off a jump in because it has very little range and is slow to start. In cryo you don't use it as a combo ender because you have f4,2,1+3. In its current state it gets blown up by buffering armour during the block stun of the jump in. Yes you can bait that armour, but to successfully have a jump in blocked you should have some sort of reward instead of having to play another level of the armour mind game. I am fully aware sub-zeros j1 is hard to anti-air, but it is not imposible if you know the spacing on it. The hitbox is entirely vertical so this makes it extremely easy to tripguard. Regardless i'd rather see the hitbox on the j1 nerfed so that f1 is faster (would make people complain less about subzeros j1 as well)

f1,2,2 - needs to be -6 instead of -9. The f1 series is sub-zero's only true stagger string. There is a natural delay in f1,2,2 which lets you play mind games (bait armour, frame trap people, extend block strings etc). But when you finally do complete the string, you are left point blank for an easy jab punish. Yes the last hit is cancellable so you can try to play a mind game by cancelling into ice burst, but the cancel advantage is so low on f1,2,2 that you can press buttons before the ice burst even comes out. So either f1,2,2 needs to be made -6 OR the cancel advantage needs to be increased on ice burst such that you can't press buttons other than armour if you read the ice burst cancel. Also a MINOR gripe, f1,2,2 is a mid that whiffs on some crouching opponents due to breathing, so far i only know scorpion but would be not be surprised if it whiffe on some others. This does not make sense, especially with the last hit since it does have an uppercut motion which should catch crouchers.

Frost Hammer - this move needs to be sped up or made + on block(maybe +4/5). In its current state it is completely useless. There is no reason to use it as a combo ender because it does not connect at higher gravity scalings, is not fast enough to combo off other strings other than b1,2. And if you were to go for meterless damage you would combo into ice ball. Right now it used purely to build meter since it takes 6 blocked ice hammers to build one bar vs 7 blocked ice bursts. The start up should be decreased so it can be made to block string off f4, with that it would be a viable meter build tool while still being able to play a spacing game with f4 hammer. There should not be an armour mind game just to build meter slightly faster. If it is kept at its current speed, there should be some reward for forcing someone to block it as it is easy to armour through given its 36f of start up.

Icy Hammer - this move is fine in its current state. Despite it being slow, its slowness gives us a 'safer' option on armour reads. It generally wins armour vs armour battles (minus multi hit moves). Should be kept in its current state. If any changes are made, maybe the hitbox could be expanded to catch jumpers, otherwise it is perfectly fine.

Ice Burst - @I GOT HANDS. I disagree that this move is useless in cryo. Sub-zero has 3 armour moves that work for different situations. Mb slide as a fast option to catch people trying to break armour, mb ice burst as a general get off me move and mb hammer as the safe option for when you read armour. Maybe the mb version could pop up slightly higher to make follow ups more consistent when you armour a low poke.

f4,2,1+3 - as nice as it would be to make this plus, i don't think it is required. If anything it should be at best +2/3. It already auto spaces us to bully with d4. Most characters are forced to back dash, jump, armour or block. From there we can make reads. Yeah we don't brain dead get 50/50s like other characters, but cryomancer isnt that type of character. he appears to just be a good footsie with high damage. he does everything decently. the only characters i can think off that really get that advantage of f4,2,1+3 in the games current state is scorpion and kotal. Both these characters have d4s which match us and are faster. But kotal's d4 is punishable on block and scorpion we have better footsie tools than (maybe no ninjitsu).

Just my input on cryomancer. @I GOT HANDS. Me and you generally have the same view on cryomancer, only thing I disagree with is the uselessness of iceburst. That is still godlike. Even though its -10 and is armourable, its a good move. I have a few option selects with cryo which make this move basically unpunishable, gives us a meter building option and still gives us our damage.

Edit: Maybe 1,1,1 could have higher cancel advantage such than mb hammer connects off of it. Would increase cryo's punish potential.
Yo I'm not saying Ice Burst is useless cause at the moment its important, I'm saying it they should fix Hammer's hitbox to catch Jump ins and Cross' ups, and make Iceburst useless. Just a suggestion anyway.

BloodyNights

"My kunai will find it's mark."
Yo I'm not saying Ice Burst is useless cause at the moment its important, I'm saying it they should fix Hammer's hitbox to catch Jump ins and Cross' ups, and make Iceburst useless. Just a suggestion anyway.
Why should EX hammer beat pretty much everything besides really quick multi-hit normals. Seems overkill for it to beat cross overs, and jump ins (Though if they were to land in front of him sure.

I GOT HANDS

Why should EX hammer beat pretty much everything besides really quick multi-hit normals. Seems overkill for it to beat cross overs, and jump ins (Though if they were to land in front of him sure.
Look at Raiden's EX-Specials, they do this. Cryomancer needs it far more than he does

BloodyNights

Look at Raiden's EX-Specials, they do this. Cryomancer needs it far more than he does
Sure Raiden's Shocker will do it, which quite frankly bugs me due to it looking like a glitch, cuz you'll be behind him, and it will teleport you into his arms. But his other EX move were he lifts his hands into the air like he just doesn't care, doesn't lead to anything, both of these can also be ducked.

Sub-Zero already has the ice burst attack that covers every option the opponent can go. Granted it's a small launch, but does he need another hit everywhere overhead attack that's great at eating through armor, as well as giving him what is it around 30% into a lets say now buffed F421+3 string that gives him advantage and heavy screen carry? Like I said sounds overboard.

I GOT HANDS

Was talking more like Shocker, except without the 360, just proper hitbox for his one useful special

as well as giving him what is it around 30% into a lets say now buffed F421+3 string that gives him advantage and heavy screen carry? Like I said sounds overboard.
Why is F4213 now buffed for this argument? I'm saying they need to leave that alone and just fix his neutral game by giving him a better option or two. Not even asking for more damage, just for an improved hitbox / consistency on one of the least reliable specials in the game

BloodyNights

Was talking more like Shocker, except without the 360, just proper hitbox for his one useful special

Why is F4213 now buffed for this argument? I'm saying they need to leave that alone and just fix his neutral game by giving him a better option or two
I'd take F421+3 buff over this :{ Well still seems like a waste to get that sort of buff. If they are gonna do something with the hammer I'd prefer it to launch meterless, and be sped up some, while being a little safer on block. EX also being just a tad faster seems good. I don't think it needs the barrier around Sub-Zero's hurtbox deal though.

Gilbagz

Joker here~
Ah right fair enough. Ex hammer is fine imo. Don't think sub needs a one size fits all armour option, would make him brain dead lol. Ex burst is already kinda that option anyway... lol. Just loses to slower armour.

Kanalratte

aka FROSTIE
looking @yesterday's ESL tournament it's clear that GM needs fixes. seeing madzin inputting his clone and it doesn't come out just hurts my brain.

ZeZe

The smart stuff!
looking @yesterday's ESL tournament it's clear that GM needs fixes. seeing madzin inputting his clone and it doesn't come out just hurts my brain.
Yep, it was painful to watch. Especially against BigD's Ermac even F4, 2 ~clone cancel whiffed and nearly all his b1,2~ clone enders. Ermac's hitbox was not breathing in SubZ's favour at all. Still hope madzin wont get discouraged. He has one awesome GM SZ.

I GOT HANDS

I thought they weren't coming out because he was inputting them to early?
Why would you think that? Especially when it's been proven that it's a major bug with Sub-Zero? Cancelling off anything Sub Zero does is not at all specific to timing for any special as far as execution goes, however if you cancel into Clone it can whiff depending in their breathing position. It's ridiculous

Samsara

Resident Cynic
Why would you think that? Especially when it's been proven that it's a major bug with Sub-Zero? Cancelling off anything Sub Zero does is not at all specific to timing for any special as far as execution goes, however if you cancel into Clone it can whiff depending in their breathing position. It's ridiculous
Tom insists that Subby will get 0 fixes. If that's the case than I can gaurantee you we won't see any Sub-Zeros after Evo. This shit feels like a cruel joke by NRS. They're to lazy to properly fix the clone so they lie and say it's fine. I'm just waiting to see his name in a patch note so they can at least acknowledge that he needs changes.

His ice hammer is soo slow stratup, and it cant be comboed into, that thing is useless online. Which makes me think why did NRS even bother with coming up with these useless specials. Kotal khans overhead sword is very similar to the ice hammer except it was done right and made very viable. Its fast and can be comboed into so why did they screw sub zero like that i wonder?
I think he should get a speed buff for his hammer asap, if cryomancer was made viable a lot of people would move to cryo instead of everybody sticking to GM
I swear to god I'm fed up with the community, and NR. there are obvious disadvantages that sub zero has that a man without his frontal lobe can spot, especially in cryomancer, and yet, we see NR completely ignoring them, and instead go with buffing other characters that were not nearly in need of buffs like sub zero. I really thought this game was going to be different than the previous ones, but i guess I was wrong, it's going to be the same unbalanced, biased, monstrosity like the previous ones, shame, I really thought this one was going to be different, if sub zero does not get a buff in the next patch, i swear my game is going to end up on ebay, if not in the trash.

XSeregantmajor

"Well hello mr. Fancy pants!" - Bruce Campbell
Grandmaster: Fix the ice clone. That's all I really want done in this variation. Cryomancer: I feel that his new added strings are good and make this varation a faster pace play style. I think they should do what they did with the ninjutsu varation with scorpion because they lack damage and you have to spend meter to get 40% when you can do meterless combos in grandmaster and reach 50%. Also he doesn't build meter good in this varation. Unbreakable: I felt like this could have had tons of potential but really this varation to me is his worst. He isn't bad but he doesn't have the Klone or the added strings you get from cryomancer , he gains the ice barrier and ice aura and that's it. I really think they need to finish this varation because it feels lazy . At least make the inputs to the ice aura like the shaolin flame . Also they add no offensive moves to this varation . Yes this is varation is more about being defensive with sub but it would be cool if they made his f4,1, grab into something like reptile's swamp slams were he has the option to use a bar to throw them on the ground for a juggle which extends combos. I just feel unbreakable needs to most work and needs to be improve more than the other varations .

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
Wow.. I mean just.. Wow. Guys I understand these buffs are not going to happen, hell I know SZ may never get any but it is still nice to wish and hope. However, instead of what I wanted to be a thread for the SZ community to express what they thought of my suggestions as well as give their own, has become nothing but a sea of hate. The very fact that some of you have, and might I add for NO reason, resorted to insulting me by calling me "mentally retarded" or a "dumbass" even though I said "no hate please" is telling me you didn't even read the post completely. It gets even better when some of you admitted you know NOTHING about his variations outside grandmaster. So I'm being insulted by people who don't even know what they are talking about..? Pathetic. Look, I get it, the community hates Sub Zero, but are telling me you never asked yourself "what would make my character better?" If you hate Sub Zero so much stay out of his forums and in fact, dont play the game. Sub Zero is a character in the game and is here to stay, just like yours. Now all you haters please get out of our forums and express your hate somewhere else; use the status feature. The rest of you SZ players, stay frosty.

Wow.. I mean just.. Wow. Guys I understand these buffs are not going to happen, hell I know SZ may never get any but it is still nice to wish and hope. However, instead of what I wanted to be a thread for the SZ community to express what they thought of my suggestions as well as give their own, has become nothing but a sea of hate. The very fact that some of you have, and might I add for NO reason, resorted to insulting me by calling me "mentally retarded" or a "dumbass" even though I said "no hate please" is telling me you didn't even read the post completely. It gets even better when some of you admitted you know NOTHING about his variations outside grandmaster. So I'm being insulted by people who don't even know what they are talking about..? Pathetic. Look, I get it, the community hates Sub Zero, but are telling me you never asked yourself "what would make my character better?" If you hate Sub Zero so much stay out of his forums and in fact, dont play the game. Sub Zero is a character in the game and is here to stay, just like yours. Now all you haters please get out of our forums and express your hate somewhere else; use the status feature. The rest of you SZ players, stay frosty.
I wonder why people hate such an awesome, creative, and overall cool character (no pun intended). but even if they do, I believe that a fighter game should strive for balance, not buffing the popular characters while pissing on the underdogs. Tiers should not exist in a fighting game of this scale. it has about 30 characters for the love of god, it's not pokemon with over 600 characters.

Samsara

Resident Cynic
I wonder why people hate such an awesome, creative, and overall cool character (no pun intended). but even if they do, I believe that a fighter game should strive for balance, not buffing the popular characters while pissing on the underdogs. Tiers should not exist in a fighting game of this scale. it has about 30 characters for the love of god, it's not pokemon with over 600 characters.
People hate Sub-Zero because of his defensive playstyle and his ability to punish aggressive play. They hate the fact that they couldn't (at least before the nerf and the dismissal by NRS) run in and mash buttons without getting punished. Now that he's been nerfed, they complain that we shouldn't complain because Sub-Zero (GM only) is 'fine.'

Besides NRS can't fix Sub-Zero without admitting they released a flawed and unfinished half-baked character. He's not awul, but he is far from a bug-free, comlete 3-variation character.

matmusada

Lin Kuei Initiate
I'll come back with my proposed changes for Cryo in a bit. He doesn't need much, just a bit of shuffling to do his role. I love the nuetral standing reset, it's one of the most unique and awesome things about him. No armoured wake ups, no counter 50/50 into punishes/whatever, nope just high damage strings straight back into the neutral game, but in perfect spacing for a D4 and a B2, as well as arguably the best backdash in the game to support it.

The problem is his lack of a couple of footsie tools, and this is the footsies variation. His improved uppercut is good news, but his ex-hammer is shitty. It's not worth the meter in a successful string as far as damage goes, it can't be used as a mix-up after a blocked low opener because it's so easy to Fuzzy, but that's fine because it's role is the nuetral game (right where he needs it), which it almost does well, slow armoring through even other armours and launching into combo. However, it's so completely free to jumping and cross ups, and anyone with multi hitting armor like Kenshi can really mess it up. So I propose one thing, make the Hammer multi-hit the whole way through its swing animation, solving both problems at once. Get rid of Ice Burst which is now absolutely useless, and change it to something else to help him in his role. Call me wishful but his Ice Puddle would be dope. Tombstone drop teleport could be alright as well. Some sort of frozen projectile like Hammer or Dagger could be useful for decent chip as well.

I agree with the proposed changes to Cryo. I was just thinking that he could use some sort of projectile outside of ice blast. At first I was thinking of ditching ice blast and giving him a projectile akin to Killer Frost ice daggers from IGAU but then Scorpion gets a fireball((that's dash-canceallable I believe...)) as well as keep his spear.
Anyways, I'd still love for his ice weapons to be better incorporated into his normals just like with Ninjitsu Scorpion. Like making j.1 or 2 a downward swing of ice sword and giving more range, the same with his b4, and come to think of it, why not keep his b2 an overhead but again, more range.
It just feels like Cryomancer was ultimately just an afterthought and that Netherrealm just didn't care enough to push the envelope.