What's new

thor is now a woman!?

PunkMafia83

PSN: YaRnToNpUnKMAFIA
I'm not a comic book buff so bear with, has Thor ever had any children in any of his incarnations/universes?

I mean, after some careful thought, if they make this new Thor his daughter I can buy the change.
From what I have read some one else from the marvel universe has taken up the mantel as thor is deemed unworthy whatever that means. Also it is someone who has saved him in the past.

I see the point you are making, but they way they are doing this just screams publicity stunt. My experience is with DC and I may not have all the info, so anyone feel free to correct me, but a lot of these guys coexisted (NEW 52 DOES NOT EXIST RIGHT NOW). There were four Flashes (more Speedsters too) concurrently together, same with Green Lanterns. It was just a thing. This is like "HEY! GIRL'S GOT THOR'S HAMMER AND HE'S UNWORTHY OF HIS POWERS NOW!"
So if your problem is, while it isn't against Marvel Thor canon, its against the canon of the legacy its based on. In which case, its a particular bone to pick that Thor is a woman.

They've taken so much artistic license with the mythology that making him a woman should hardly register as one of the things that seperates Thor from his mytgological origins.

Also, Thor is the dudes name, it's not a title, I don't understand.
Its his name AND a title. Thor wields the "power of Thor" based on a hammer that predates his birth and hence name.

Once again:

"Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor"

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
So if your problem is, while it isn't against Marvel Thor canon, its against the canon of the legacy its based on. In which case, its a particular bone to pick that Thor is a woman.

They've taken so much artistic license with the mythology that making him a woman should hardly register as one of the things that seperates Thor from his mytgological origins.

Its his name AND a title. Thor wields the "power of Thor" based on a hammer that predates his birth and hence name.

Once again:

"Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor"
To that end, let's make Odin black, Frigga Hispanic, Loki Asian, Baldur Inuit, Heimdall Muslim, etc. Instead of making new characters to include these groups. It's pandering in a way that bothers me more so because of the Nordic thing.

Hini

Batomancer
OP should probably clarify that Thor didnt turn into a woman but rather that a woman now holds the position of Thor. At least for those who didnt bother to read the article.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
This is a clear tactical move. Marvel don't have any decent females outside of x men. DC does.

That simple. The closer we get to see wowo on the big screen, the more marvel have to counter the fanboys. And for the love of god marvel get a strong black lead.
Man, this is what they should have done with Rachel Cole-Alves.

To that end, let's make Odin black, Frigga Hispanic, Loki Asian, Baldur Inuit, Heimdall Muslim, etc. Instead of making new characters to include these groups. It's pandering in a way that bothers me more so because of the Nordic thing.
Idris Elba played a black version of a mythologically white norse god in the Thor movies, and I didn't see any problem in that change.

They're mythological beings. No more genuine then the versions we create, no more real than our interpretations.

We aren't projecting our biases onto them any more then the original creators of the legends did.

StevoSuprem0

I'm gonna make this skill gap... disappear.
I'm not a comic book buff so bear with, has Thor ever had any children in any of his incarnations/universes?

I mean, after some careful thought, if they make this new Thor his daughter I can buy the change.
No mortal woman is good enough for him
He has actually, with Lady Sif. Her name is Torunn. She's involved in what people refer to as the "Next Generation" of Avengers, which has been shown in a few things.

What's going on here with this woman Thor is basically, during Marvel's big arc right now, it seems like Thor is going to do something that makes him unworthy of the power of Thor. This isn't something that hasn't been done before, but in the past, books would then focus on him regaining the favor, or someone else would sort of fill in for him for a brief time in whatever series, generally without using the hammer.
During whatever crap they are doing, it's found out that there is some big backstory with Odin where Thor has a sister and some shit went down that caused Odin to seal her in another dimension or something for whatever reason (typical comic bullshit). Something happens to Odin, spell drops, and she returns. While Thor can't use his shit, I guess she will be filling in as Thor, and it appears to be a relatively permanent thing.

Problems with this are as follows:
1. Thor is Thor. He is a person (god), and no one else can be him. Others that are worth can wield his power, but that doesn't make them Thor, it just makes them able to access his powers. The sister has (should have) her own name and that's what she should go by, but it's unclear how they are going to do it.
2. The hammer's inscription reads "Whosoever holds this hammer, if HE be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor." Misogynistic? Yes, but it's a product of another time and belief system. This is kinda splitting hairs, because women have (I believe) used the hammer before, just kinda highlights something dumb about the Thor lore (see what I did there?).

Overall, it's just another stupid ass stunt. I mean, come on... they made the announcement on The View for fucks sake. Gee.... I wonder who they're trying to reach with this move? More appropriately, how many girls that are or considering reading comics do you think watch The fucking View? I'm gonna say.... eleven. Tops. It's just really lame and reminds me of all the ridiculous 90's stunts that were pulled to try to pull in readers, but only really served to disinterest people that had been reading for a while. Marvel is better than this, and I am superbly disappointed in them as of late. I'll be sticking to digging into older books that I haven't read yet, flipping them open, and enjoying a pint at the Wincester while I wait for this whole thing to blow over.

Also,
I'm not like, "I'm a dude. He's a dude. And we're all dudes, yeah!" (brownie points to anyone who gets the reference
Good Burger, duuuhhhhh :p

Error

DF2+R2
2. The hammer's inscription reads "Whosoever holds this hammer, if HE be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor." Misogynistic? Yes, but it's a product of another time and belief system.
Minor gripe here, just because something is slightly sexist, doesn't make it misogynistic. People seem to be throwing this word around left and right now a days when it shouldn't be. If genders were reversed people wouldn't be saying that the text on Mjolnir was misandrist.

On topic, is Thor getting a sex change or is a woman just wielding his power now? If it's the latter then it really is no big deal.

2. The hammer's inscription reads "Whosoever holds this hammer, if HE be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor." Misogynistic? Yes, but it's a product of another time and belief system. This is kinda splitting hairs, because women have (I believe) used the hammer before, just kinda highlights something dumb about the Thor lore (see what I did there?).
I don't think a technicality as small as pronoun usage is really enough to matter.

Minor gripe here, just because something is slightly sexist, doesn't make it misogynistic. People seem to be throwing this word around left and right now a days when it shouldn't be. If genders were reversed people wouldn't be saying that the text on Mjolnir was misandrist.

On topic, is Thor getting a sex change or is a woman just wielding his power now? If it's the latter then it really is no big deal.
It's the latter, though they haven't revealed how this is happening yet.

StevoSuprem0

Fair enough.
The answer to your question is literally in what I already wrote though. Lol.
No, it's not a big deal, but it is pretty stupid. If they want to draw in female readers, be innovative and make someone new, or do more PR work with Captain Marvel (currently a female), Black Widow, or any of the various team books that have strong female characters. Don't completely fuck with an established hero by making up some insanely goofy plot that he's had a sister for all this time. That's just some weak ass soap opera shit.

Fair enough.
The answer to your question is literally in what I already wrote though. Lol.
No, it's not a big deal, but it is pretty stupid. If they want to draw in female readers, be innovative and make someone new, or do more PR work with Captain Marvel (currently a female), Black Widow, or any of the various team books that have strong female characters. Don't completely fuck with an established hero by making up some insanely goofy plot that he's had a sister for all this time. That's just some weak ass soap opera shit.
They're not messing with an established hero. Thor Odinson is still Thor Odinson. They are not taking the established character of Thor Odinson and just making him female like this is an alternate universe.

You say "just make a new character" and that's exactly what they are doing- this isn't Thor becoming a woman, it's a woman gaining the powers of Thor, after Thor Odinson loses them.

Part of the established schtick of Thor is that he get's his powers from his hammer, and wields it ONLY so long as he is worthy.

No more different than Batman losing his abilities with old age and having to choose a successor. Part of the character of Batman was being human- and old age is a part of that, so having to be succeeded by a new Batman with Terry was not messing with an established character- it was actually being true to that character.

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
First killing off Wolverine and now making Thor into a woman? WTF marvel? I mean I dont have a problem that there is a female Thor but they could at least make a different name for her.

StevoSuprem0

They're not messing with an established hero. Thor Odinson is still Thor Odinson. They are not taking the established character of Thor Odinson and just making him female like this is an alternate universe.

You say "just make a new character" and that's exactly what they are doing- this isn't Thor becoming a woman, it's a woman gaining the powers of Thor, after Thor Odinson loses them.

Part of the established schtick of Thor is that he get's his powers from his hammer, and wields it ONLY so long as he is worthy.

No more different than Batman losing his abilities with old age and having to choose a successor. Part of the character of Batman was being human- and old age is a part of that, so having to be succeeded by a new Batman with Terry was not messing with an established character- it was actually being true to that character.
Eh, I'm gonna disagree. They are referring to her as Thor thus far, not "wielder of the powers of Thor" or some shit, and she is taking over the comic as well. With all your examples, those were either alternate comics or alternate universes. This is the mainstream. The circumstances alone that they are creating for this to happen are silly at best and simply bad writing at worst.
I dunno how long you're been reading or how familiar with comic history you are, but moves like this have always been a bad idea. All it ever accomplishes is an small initial bump where enough new readers come in to counterbalance readers that are disenfranchised by the move, which tend to leave within a month and leave the book's audience significantly weaker. I could give a shit whether it was a girl, guy, alien, or dog wielding the powers of Thor, but calling them Thor is just dumb and inaccurate being that Thor is a person, not a persona. Furthermore, having them suddenly emerge from some crazy sealed dimension that would have been unsealed 68547123461823 times by now is just weak.
TL;DR, I'm not diggin it.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian

The difference with Terry and Batman beyond was Terry wasn't a girl taking on the mantle of BatMAN and staying as Batman. If Terry was black or something, big deal.

And I really want to bring up the newer Iron Man comics in relation to what @StevoSuprem0, but spoilers man

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
Eh, I'm gonna disagree. They are referring to her as Thor thus far, not "wielder of the powers of Thor" or some shit, and she is taking over the comic as well. With all your examples, those were either alternate comics or alternate universes. This is the mainstream. The circumstances alone that they are creating for this to happen are silly at best and simply bad writing at worst.
I dunno how long you're been reading or how familiar with comic history you are, but moves like this have always been a bad idea. All it ever accomplishes is an small initial bump where enough new readers come in to counterbalance readers that are disenfranchised by the move, which tend to leave within a month and leave the book's audience significantly weaker. I could give a shit whether it was a girl, guy, alien, or dog wielding the powers of Thor, but calling them Thor is just dumb and inaccurate being that Thor is a person, not a persona. Furthermore, having them suddenly emerge from some crazy sealed dimension that would have been unsealed 68547123461823 times by now is just weak.
TL;DR, I'm not diggin it.
#SuperiorSpiderman

StevoSuprem0

The difference with Terry and Batman beyond was Terry wasn't a girl taking on the mantle of BatMAN and staying as Batman. If Terry was black or something, big deal.

And I really want to bring up the newer Iron Man comics in relation to what @StevoSuprem0, but spoilers man
I'm behind on Iron Man. I've started just reading trades since the Marvel NOW shit went down because it was easier for me to keep up with things that way, but I think my shop forgot to put Iron Man in my box at first. Need to get caught up.

StevoSuprem0

#SuperiorSpiderman
Had to look up what that was, because I had always just assumed it was another regular Spiderman book. Holy shit, is that a stupid premise..... hahaha I don't understand what they are thinking with some of their moves lately. REALLY bad.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
Had to look up what that was, because I had always just assumed it was another regular Spiderman book. Holy shit, is that a stupid premise..... hahaha I don't understand what they are thinking with some of their moves lately. REALLY bad.
It was good, have the whole run, but they took what made Peter, Peter and turned it into the opposite. Secretly, I think it's because he was getting close with MJ again and they needed a reason to fuck that up