What's new

thor is now a woman!?

There's been multiple Flash's, Green Lantern's, and Batman's in the DC Universe, and they've been popular.

Why can't Marvel do the same?

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
This is a clear tactical move. Marvel don't have any decent females outside of x men. DC does.

That simple. The closer we get to see wowo on the big screen, the more marvel have to counter the fanboys. And for the love of god marvel get a strong black lead.
Didn't they make Nick Fury officially black now? And I've heard the new Ultimate Spiderman is good. Beyond that...

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
There's been multiple Flash's, Green Lantern's, and Batman's in the DC Universe, and they've been popular.

That was kind of different. The Flashes and Green Lantern's were natural in a sense. The Flashes are guys who all tap into the same energy to get super speed. The Green Lantern Corp is full of different people\aliens, why not make one guy black and another Muslim (I say this as someone who doesn't like Simon Baz). Don't know what you mean with the Batman thing (people covered for Bruce when he was hurt\away is all I know) so won't comment.

But here, Marvel is taking an established character, one around for 60 years, and taking him out to blatantly pander to one group of people. DC did the same thing by making Alan Scott gay. If you want a female hero or gay hero or whatever, why not make a new hero and do something original? Or why not give the established ones their own comic (Black Widow and Captain Marvel have one, not sure of anyone else)? Because Marvel isn't looking to be innovative and be inclusive, they just want to get sales by throwing this out in headlines.

Want a good comic with female leads? The Wicked and the Divine, Witchblade (kind of sexual though), Batgirl (that' Barbara Gordon, Bruce wasn't replaced to have a girl be Batman), Wonder Woman, any of the Wonderland titles (also sexual), Suicide Squad and Harley Quinn's new stuff. Black Widow's stuff is really good, tried to keep to new titles

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
They didn't make him black, they made him effing Samuel L. "tired of these mother**** snakes" Jackson. You can't say no to that... Ever!
Is that how it happened in the comics? Like they went to Samuel L. Jackson's house and said "here, you are a superhero now!" Please tell me this happened

And tell that hammer thing to Hulk

Rule 63 strikes again!

I think it's an interesting experiment, and a great opportunity to bring a female to the front for a change without making her too much "girl-ness" (hopefully). We don't get many. And when the common public thinks superheroes, it's hard to find people whose idea of female heroes are of back-ups like BW in the avengers, or fragile supporting characters. There are some notable exceptions, but not enough.

Unless you're a girl that's into comics and reading from a young age, you don't see many super-heroes to look up to, while boys have had plenty for like a hundred years since Superman. So maybe this will give young girls a pop-recognizable superhero to "wish that they were", like many boys did with Batman/Wolverine/etc. So yeah, I'm curious to see how it goes and I hope it's successful.

in addition: Just because of the publicity this will get, young girls will find out about the existence of this. Like I said, growing up, you had to be into X-Men first to look up to a strong character like Jean Grey, or even Mystique. The girl heroes just haven't been very noticeable in the mainstream. On the flip side, even if you've never heard of comic books, you know who Batman is. Same can be said for plenty of male heroes. While girls have Wonder Woman, there should be more than that.
Thing is Thor already had a large female fanbase. You don't need to be the same sex as someone to relate to their problems cause most problems in life are gender neutral. Yeah, I'll never know the pain of having a period or being treated badly for being a women or being a darker skin tone or getting the shit kicked out of me for being gay. But horrible bosses, crummy jobs, unhappy with the high crime rates in your city, stolen identity, not happy with your family/friends, an argument with your significant other, trying to pay bills on time, injuries, etc, these are things people can relate with other on regardless of race, sex, or other backgrounds because we all have to, have dealt with or will do with these things because life. We all live it and that's what it's part of.

My point is, this comes off as feeling like "oh we need to make this character a female so women can relate to them and buy comics" which might actually end up losing more than gaining cause there already is a pretty big female fanbase for Thor either because they think he's cool, are attracted to him or both.

If they feel that comics need more female leads then invent new characters instead of giving guys like Batman a sex change.

I don't know, it just seems like weird and flawed logic that a lot of guys in suits have about people, like somehow a single father can't relate to a single mom simply because they're different sex.

Shit I don't need to grows breasts to relate to Lucy from Elfen Lied. She's had a shitty childhood, I was bullied growing up. I can easily relate to her desire for revenge. Heck I can relate to Ms. Nadia Fortune's want for revenge after her gang was killed.

Just my 2 cents.

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
Thor was a shitty and unpopular super hero. They gave Thor a vagina to increase sells. Nothing more nothing less.
Yes anything woman must be because sex. :rolleyes:

Or maybe they feel they needed to do something fresh with the character and they thought the Marvel universe could use more heroines. Maybe they want to engage female readers more.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
Rule 63 strikes again!

Thing is Thor already had a large female fanbase. You don't need to be the same sex as someone to relate to their problems cause most problems in life are gender neutral. Yeah, I'll never know the pain of having a period or being treated badly for being a women or being a darker skin tone or getting the shit kicked out of me for being gay. But horrible bosses, crummy jobs, unhappy with the high crime rates in your city, stolen identity, not happy with your family/friends, an argument with your significant other, trying to pay bills on time, injuries, etc, these are things people can relate with other on regardless of race, sex, or other backgrounds because we all have to, have dealt with or will do with these things because life. We all live it and that's what it's part of.

My point is, this comes off as feeling like "oh we need to make this character a female so women can relate to them and buy comics" which might actually end up losing more than gaining cause there already is a pretty big female fanbase for Thor either because they think he's cool, are attracted to him or both.

If they feel that comics need more female leads then invent new characters instead of giving guys like Batman a sex change.

I don't know, it just seems like weird and flawed logic that a lot of guys in suits have about people, like somehow a single father can't relate to a single mom simply because they're different sex.

Shit I don't need to grows breasts to relate to Lucy from Elfen Lied. She's had a shitty childhood, I was bullied growing up. I can easily relate to her desire for revenge. Heck I can relate to Ms. Nadia Fortune's want for revenge after her gang was killed.

Just my 2 cents.
That's why I love Spiderman. Peter has a shitty life, he usually tries to do the right thing and it bites him in the ass, and he makes lame jokes at bad times. We're the same person, minus Spider powers and having gorgeous women attracted to me. I'm not like, "I'm a dude. He's a dude. And we're all dudes, yeah!" (brownie points to anyone who gets the reference

That was kind of different. The Flashes and Green Lantern's were natural in a sense. The Flashes are guys who all tap into the same energy to get super speed. The Green Lantern Corp is full of different people\aliens, why not make one guy black and another Muslim (I say this as someone who doesn't like Simon Baz). Don't know what you mean with the Batman thing (people covered for Bruce when he was hurt\away is all I know) soy just want to get sales by throwing this out in headlines.
They're not doing anything different, according to the creators. Thor's successor will be an established character tapping into the same source of Thor's powers by yet to be explained means.

No different than having a new Flash.

PunkMafia83

PSN: YaRnToNpUnKMAFIA
Black Panther is the shit, but I think his old run didn't sell well. Storm doesn't have a comic, right? Man, didn't actually notice this before
Yeah. I admit I am more of a super hero TV and film buff then a comic guy but have started to pick up some comics lately. If you only watch marvel superhero films you can safely assume that black men are all ex army and are now sidekicks.

Kinda rubbish lol

Yeah but those are legacy characters. Thor isn't a legacy, it's a person's (a god in this case) name. It's why everyone is cool with Tim becoming Batman and replacing Bruce (cept Joker, lol) because Batman is a title and symbol and costume. Not a name or person.

The intention is right, the execution is wrong.

You want a powerful female role model? Good, come up with one, don't mess with a classic.
I honestly think this is why so many comic, anime, game and movie companies play it safe and stick with what they know. They aren't sexist or racist, it's just so easy to fuck it up and have people mistake good intentions as being derogatory, plus no matter how well you do a female character someone will deconstruct them under a microscope to find some flaw that doesn't meet their impossible standards. She's too emotional, she's not emotional enough, she's too prefect and boring, she's too vulnerable and weak, etc. It's a problem our ancestors started eons ago and we're stuck with it eons later.

Unfortunately it seems they rather do exactly that instead of taking a risk with a new IP.

That's why I love Spiderman. Peter has a shitty life, he usually tries to do the right thing and it bites him in the ass, and he makes lame jokes at bad times. We're the same person, minus Spider powers and having gorgeous women attracted to me. I'm not like, "I'm a dude. He's a dude. And we're all dudes, yeah!" (brownie points to anyone who gets the reference
Yeah pretty much. Like my mom has shitty knees. I don't need to be a woman to relate to her pain. Why? Because I have shitty knees! XD

Yeah but those are legacy characters. Thor isn't a legacy, it's a person's (a god in this case) name. It's why everyone is cool with Tim becoming Batman and replacing Bruce (cept Joker, lol) because Batman is a title and symbol and costume. Not a name or person.
Wrong. Thor is as much defined by his hammer as Batman is by his costume- in that a worthy successor may wield it and take the title.

"Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor"

Thor's power is every bit as transferrable as other characters in terms of legacy. Whoever is worthy of wielding the hammer of Thor, becomes worthy by wielding it.

This is no different than a new character becoming Green Lantern by being worthy of a power ring.

Im sure they'll explain in the comix why Thor no longer wields mjolnir, and how it came to his successor.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
They're not doing anything different, according to the creators. Thor's successor will be an established character tapping into the same source of Thor's powers by yet to be explained means.

No different than having a new Flash.
I see the point you are making, but they way they are doing this just screams publicity stunt. My experience is with DC and I may not have all the info, so anyone feel free to correct me, but a lot of these guys coexisted (NEW 52 DOES NOT EXIST RIGHT NOW). There were four Flashes (more Speedsters too) concurrently together, same with Green Lanterns. It was just a thing. This is like "HEY! GIRL'S GOT THOR'S HAMMER AND HE'S UNWORTHY OF HIS POWERS NOW!"

I'm biased as well, try to be proud of my Viking heritage, so this stuff with Thor sometimes bothers me more than it should. There are so many goddamn Nordic goddess' make one a hero and give her a comic

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
Yes anything woman must be because sex. :rolleyes:

Or maybe they feel they needed to do something fresh with the character and they thought the Marvel universe could use more heroines. Maybe they want to engage female readers more.
This kind of is though. As I've seen pointed out a million times in the Souls community, plate mail that shows off breasts like that only serves to lead blows into your throat and abdomen (is a cool look though). Why can't Storm get a comic? Hope Summers (is she still around?)? Rogue? Shadowcat? Invisible Woman? Lady Sif? Scarlet Witch? Emma Frost (she actually might)? Elektra (same as Emma)? That new Madame Web (not the old woman)? Why not make a new female and introduce her in Thor if you want the tie-in?

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
Yeah. I admit I am more of a super hero TV and film buff then a comic guy but have started to pick up some comics lately. If you only watch marvel superhero films you can safely assume that black men are all ex army and are now sidekicks.

Kinda rubbish lol
Check out Black Lightning's stuff and Geoff John's JSA stuff (Mr. Terrific is awesome, just don't think he got a solo run). Stay the fuck away from New52 Static, his old stuff was good (so I've heard). Cyborg has his own run (I'm pretty sure) and shouldn't be as bad as him in Injustice

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
I'm not a comic book buff so bear with, has Thor ever had any children in any of his incarnations/universes?

I mean, after some careful thought, if they make this new Thor his daughter I can buy the change.