What's new

This Reptile fellow, he catches mixed opinions...

Enenra

Go to hell.
Some say Reptile is top 5, and others say he is mid tier (which makes me lol.) I've been using him and I really like him, I got the NJP combos down in about an hour, his zoning is great and his rush down is bomb, but every time I watch a stream he comes up. Someone says he isn't as good as he used to be, Chris G takes second place, someone declares him overrated, and I just shake my head in ignorance because all I know is Sub Zero who sucks now, and Noob, who is very very eh. So can someone set me straight? How does Reptile compare to the rest of the cast?

M2Dave

Zoning Master
fr stack said:
the only people who argue reptile is mid tier are reptile players imo 8)
So true.

I think the real reasons why Reptile has not placed in the top 8 lately are as follows.

- THTB, who is the best Reptile player in my opinion, does not travel as much any more.

- Sabin is an SF player at heart who plays MK part-time. He is concentrating on AE 2012.

- Chris G is a Marvel player at heart who plays MK part-time. He is concentrating on UMvC3.

- I am not familiar with CitizenSnips, so I cannot comment.

Reptile is a perfectly fine character. The only match up I would not want to play with him is vs Mileena.

mk_pros

Banned
Some say Reptile is top 5, and others say he is mid tier (which makes me lol.) I've been using him and I really like him, I got the NJP combos down in about an hour, his zoning is great and his rush down is bomb, but every time I watch a stream he comes up. Someone says he isn't as good as he used to be, Chris G takes second place, someone declares him overrated, and I just shake my head in ignorance because all I know is Sub Zero who sucks now, and Noob, who is very very eh. So can someone set me straight? How does Reptile compare to the rest of the cast?
reptile is not mid tier!

if you watch recent tourney streem chris g (reptile) ran through reo (kabal) 3-0 like it was nothing!

cheers

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
I think he's a bit overrated, he's a solid character but he has quite a few bad MUs. I say he's B tier.

Reptile is like Sub Zero, everyone's played against a Reptile before.

What I don't like, is personally part time MK players thriving in MK. Which really makes me understand Aris' comment against REO at Devastation, which basically stated that he really gave REO a run for his money and Aris hadn't touched MK since EVO2k11. Same with ChrisG, just to come in like that after not taking it seriously. I'm not saying ChrisG is not a good FG player he is, but I want to see pure MK boys on Top, you don't see MK players dominating in other FGs.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I think Reptile players see the red flags that non reptile players don't see. Watch Used For Glue's video on the new invis technique. He explains the downside of Reptiles spacing.
He is still up there, but yeah I don't think he's top 5. probably like... 7-8? Being able to go toe-to-toe with the top characters is why he is desirable.
Another thing not mentioned is who you face in a pool really does determine if you keep going. If reptile is in a pool with a Sonya and a Mileena player... he probably won't have a good showing, all things equal.
I think pool match ups are a huge thing in Tournaments now with this game.... I really do.

mk_pros

Banned
Reptile is like Sub Zero, everyone's played against a Reptile before.

What I don't like, is personally part time MK players thriving in MK. Which really makes me understand Aris' comment against REO at Devastation, which basically stated that he really gave REO a run for his money and Aris hadn't touched MK since EVO2k11. Same with ChrisG, just to come in like that after not taking it seriously. I'm not saying ChrisG is not a good FG player he is, but I want to see pure MK boys on Top, you don't see MK players dominating in other FGs.
hi mate.

i have been keeping track of Reo for a while as he is one of my fav mk players to watch along with Cdjr & Erik warda

what i notice is when Reo wins he only wins by a hair no matter opponent being a random or a pro

when reo does not win he gets beat bad in most cases

i think mk players are not good as other game players

cheers

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
hes top 8. has really good matchups but some god awful ones. mileena subz sonya and to some extent kl n sektor blow him up

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Reptile is just like Sub Zero. Used to be good, not anymore due to all the nerfs.

People going "oohhh he's top 5. oohh he's top 10" says that because their character probably has a hard time against Reptile but don't know how hard it is for Reptile to fight the rest of the cast.Again, just like Sub Zero.

The difference between Reptile and Sub Zero is that Reptile doesn't have a problem with characters getting armor.

How ChrisG plays so well is really unbelievable and the thing is: he doesn't play like other Reptiles do.So the playstyle that most Reptiles play gets worse and worse while ChrisG's Reptile stays the same.

Seriously, I've never seen anyone be able to successfully use 1221 as a blockstring.
He also makes Kabal and Smoke look like chumps.I just wonder how he's going to play against good Mileena's like Pig's.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
Put it this way, the only people who think he is OP are people who don't use him mainly, and/or don't know how to fight against him.

He would be a top 10 character IMO, but if was ever rated a top 5 character he would have been 5th place at best.

1. Kabal
2. Raiden
3. Kung Lao
4. Kitana
5. Sonya
6. Cyrax
7. Smoke
8. Cage
9. Mileena
10. Reptile

I would have Skarlet in the top 10, but I she hasn't been proven in competitive play yet. But she should make it in there soon.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Reptile is just like Sub Zero. Used to be good, not anymore due to all the nerfs.

People going "oohhh he's top 5. oohh he's top 10" says that because their character probably has a hard time against Reptile but don't know how hard it is for Reptile to fight the rest of the cast.Again, just like Sub Zero.

The difference between Reptile and Sub Zero is that Reptile doesn't have a problem with characters getting armor.

How ChrisG plays so well is really unbelievable and the thing is: he doesn't play like other Reptiles do.So the playstyle that most Reptiles play gets worse and worse while ChrisG's Reptile stays the same.

Seriously, I've never seen anyone be able to successfully use 1221 as a blockstring.
He also makes Kabal and Smoke look like chumps.I just wonder how he's going to play against good Mileena's like Pig's.
And which nerfs to Reptile are we talking about here?

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
He also makes Kabal and Smoke look like chumps.
He does not make Smoke look like a chump. It's 5-5, roughly.

Reptile's main weakness that people who consider him Top 5 seem to not be aware of is that there are set points between each of his elbow dashes. If you adequately space yourself from him, you'll hit Reptile's dead zone, where his options become quite limited.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW

Reptile's main weakness that people who consider him Top 5 seem to not be aware of is that there are set points between each of his elbow dashes. If you adequately space yourself from him, you'll hit Reptile's dead zone, where his options become quite limited.
lol he does not make smoke look like a chump at all. its a pretty damn hard matchup as well

NYCj360

i Use a modded cyber now
hi mate.

i have been keeping track of Reo for a while as he is one of my fav mk players to watch along with Cdjr & Erik warda

what i notice is when Reo wins he only wins by a hair no matter opponent being a random or a pro

when reo does not win he gets beat bad in most cases

i think mk players are not good as other game players

cheers
That's not because he sucks, that's because he generally doesn't go that hard against most players other than the top people. By making that statement your saying all the RANDOMS suck just because they can go toe to toe with some good players. He places top 3 at any game he plays. Pretty much all of vsm plays other games on the capcom roster myself being a top mvc2 player. Perfect legend is rediculous in ssf4 and previous doa champ. Atlanta players who are all very solid are beasts at tekken. The list goes on so where does this logic come from?

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio using Tapatalk

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM

This guy right here...nailed it idk why we are having this conversation, reptile barely makes top ten let alone top five, what he is saying about spacing is dead on, if you find the sweet spot it doesn' t matter what Reptile does you can blow him up with full combos, if he gets outzoned he is dead in the water and outside of elbow dash he is a VERY slow character.

Sent from Gotham City via the Batcomputer

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
if you know how reptiles zoning is honeslty one of the best in the game.. to get going youre going to get hit once or twice by a projectilce but once you get going its veery hard to stop him