What's new

This Is How They Get Away With It:" Former NetherRealm Studios Contract Devs Reveal a Troubling Studio Culture

Xelz

Go over there!
You should really read up on the rights of independent contractors. They probably didn’t tell anyone about the abuse(at the time it was happening) because in most cases they cannot take action for sexual harassment, a hostile work environment or other types of workplace abuse. They do not have the same rights as employees! If, hypothetically speaking, NRS is floating the potential of full time hire so contractors work harder and are more complacent, but they have no intention of hiring, it’s completely disgusting.
Every state (U.S.) I've worked in has workplace harassment and abuse laws that cover everyone, whether contractor, part time or FTE. Which states don't?

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
It’s your choice if you want to defend a corporation over the working class. The laws will change on this eventually.
I’m not defending them I’m showing you both sides of the issue. It’s blatantly clear people will endure this crap for a chance to be hired by them. The only reason this was written was because they didn’t get hired. I understand it sucks, you work your ass off and you get nothing in return except a shit salary, but they’re still making it seem one sided when it’s really not.

Samsara

Resident Cynic
I know the salary is BS but they chose this job and this field. Most of them probably thought it’s a lesser evil to work at minimum wage to get a foot in the industry. I can guarantee you they thought they could soldier through his and work full time for NRS. But most of them couldn’t hack it and it’s understandable. Why do you think they didn’t tell anyone about the abuse they got from NRS employees? Cause they wanted to get hired.

I die a little inside every time someone uses the term mental gymnastics. You could just as well say you don’t agree with me cause you’re angry. Jesus.
I'm not angry. I just dont see how anyone is going to fault an employee for their own mistreatment. Its mental gymnastics because you A) accept the fact they should be treated better but B) blame them for not working elsewhere.

A logical conclusion would be to advocate better standards and condemn the behavior. Instead we get a noncommittal "sucks it has to be that way but oh well what can you do, work somewhere else", "fault on both sides" approach which only ever results in the behavior continuing.

Enough evidence cant possibly be brought to bear against these antics if ppl continue to waffle and give ground this way.

kevkopdx

Noob
Every state (U.S.) I've worked in has workplace harassment and abuse laws that cover everyone, whether contractor, part time or FTE. Which states don't?
I don’t have a state by state list. They’re not protected under federal law but states have been individually changing that over the past year.

MR.EVL

I am you
People lives and time matters whether you're a full timer or a contractor. Period. Minimum wage can bite me. Creative peeps should stop settling for shit pay just to make a name for themselves. And companies like NRS who values artists of all types (at least that's my impression on the outside aspect of things #mkcollective) should definitely stop paying "what the law dictates is the minimum wage for that year" and show some respect for the artists helping in making their vision come to life and on time.

NRS should def be developing a relationship of trust and honesty with their contract workers so all expectations are met to prevent future conflicts. It's actually pretty simple. All they have to do is respect and let contractors KNOW that becoming a full timer is a slim chance, but hey, you're going to work with us on a AAA FG so you will gain resume, that does not sound too much to expect imo.

NRS-please treat your contractors as equals. As they ARE in fact working for you for the time period you need them to. That's facts. so I would say some trust has to be established in-order to prevent rebellious leaks from happening again.

They really should not treat their contractors as if they are disposable, instead it* should be in their best interest to maintain an ongoing relationship with them for when the next title is being worked on.

Last edited:

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I'm not angry. I just dont see how anyone is going to fault an employee for their own mistreatment. Its mental gymnastics because you A) accept the fact they should be treated better but B) blame them for not working elsewhere.

A logical conclusion would be to advocate better standards and condemn the behavior. Instead we get a noncommittal "sucks it has to be that way but oh well what can you do, work somewhere else", "fault on both sides" approach which only ever results in the behavior continuing.

Enough evidence cant possibly be brought to bear against these antics if ppl continue to waffle and give ground this way.
Of course things need to change I am a big advocate of mental health care especially in regards to work. But it’s clear that they forced this on themselves yes NRS is at fault too, but if you feel yourself suffering mentally you apeak out you don’t let it continue and get worse.

Agilaz

It has begun
lmao some people here are dogs, their mentality is just "yes, Master", "thank you, Master", "I won't complain, Master"
More like, some people have lived through this shit themselves and know better than others what it's like. The fact so many of you seem surprised about this or think it's isolated to the gaming industry just shows how little life experience you have.

I started as a contractor in the company im working at now. This is in logistics. The pay was shit, the responsibilities too much for our paygrade and during the busy periods..oh boy.

I CHOSE to stay there under those conditions for 2,5 years and it paid off. I have been an FTE for almost a year now with a recent bump in position and pay, and more opportunities coming my way.

I could have left and complained. Would have stirred up a nice shit storm. But I would rather roll with the hits for a while and end up on top.

Does any of this mean contractors are not treated badly, or that it's not wrong? Of course not. But if you want something you need to fight for it and make sacrifices, and even then you might not get it. That's just part of life.

Samsara

Resident Cynic
That's just part of life.
"This us the way things are, therefore, this is how things should be"

Basically what your argument boils down to. Theres a difference between making a sacrifice with full agency and being treated unfairly because you have no bargaining power.

People 50+ years ago understood this and our country changed for the better.

Agilaz

It has begun
"This us the way things are, therefore, this is how things should be"

Basically what your argument boils down to. Theres a difference between making a sacrifice with full agency and being treated unfairly because you have no bargaining power.

People 50+ years ago understood this and our country changed for the better.
What I am actually saying is that you're naive if you think this will ever change. Companies have a lot of power, and a giant like WB..yeah, good luck lpl

Also, assuming "your country" is the US, maybe a good idea would be sort out the unions themselves first. Here in Belgium they're not as shady as they are there and they tend to be very helpful, but even they couldn't force a major change like this.

Xelz

Go over there!
It’s your choice if you want to defend a corporation over the working class. The laws will change on this eventually.
I agree that laws need to change for contractors. But I find painting these situations as "corporations vs. working class" as overly simplified and illogical.

Corporations aren't demigods or robot overlords. Corporations are a group of people doing work. Literally, the definition of corporation is "a group of people authorized to act as a single entity." So all those assembly line workers at GM are members of that corporation. (They might be the majority members of that corporation for all I know.) So if someone says "down with the corporation," they're technically saying "down with the blue collar workers who work there" at the same time. Smh.

I think what people really mean to do is separate "working class" from "management," although many managers are considered "working class" and many non-managers aren't, so even those labels are wrong. Or more appropriately delineate workers from shareholders, who leadership ultimately report to. But then you have to consider the primary shareholders are funds who manage 401k, pension and other investment savings for the working class. So....

Bottom line, the current system has flaws that encourage exploitation of contractors, and those flaws could be patched by laws.

NeonGroovyGator

Vampire mommy simp
I don't know what disgusts me more, the working conditions or the people eager to defend big corps instead of INDIVIDUALS.
It's laughable that someone still thinks there is a parity of power in this kind of relationship.
You guys are the same people who'd tell chronically abused wives to "just leave lol"
I'm extremely disappointed that this kind of thing isn't universally repulsive to people here.

Xelz

Go over there!
I don’t have a state by state list. They’re not protected under federal law but states have been individually changing that over the past year.
As far as I've learned (I'm no expert but have to go through standard HR training annually), most worker laws are handled at the state level. Some do exist, such as federal minimum wages, but states and municipalities can and do go beyond that. Many of the best worker protection laws, such as California's WARN act, are state driven. And the WARN act, for example, explicitly includes contractors and part-time workers.

Pizza

Thrill Kill
More like, some people have lived through this shit themselves and know better than others what it's like. The fact so many of you seem surprised about this or think it's isolated to the gaming industry just shows how little life experience you have.

I started as a contractor in the company im working at now. This is in logistics. The pay was shit, the responsibilities too much for our paygrade and during the busy periods..oh boy.

I CHOSE to stay there under those conditions for 2,5 years and it paid off. I have been an FTE for almost a year now with a recent bump in position and pay, and more opportunities coming my way.

I could have left and complained. Would have stirred up a nice shit storm. But I would rather roll with the hits for a while and end up on top.

Does any of this mean contractors are not treated badly, or that it's not wrong? Of course not. But if you want something you need to fight for it and make sacrifices, and even then you might not get it. That's just part of life.
We live on different countries. Here there are lots of unions and wrong doings are always under the scope. These last years they've been getting away with this thanks to the new administration, but that's about to change.

I guess that's why is so weird for me to see people being so passive about this things. "Yeah, this happens, it's the way it is". Okay, let's just perpetuate it...

Xelz

Go over there!
People lives and time matters whether you're a full timer or a contractor. Period. Minimum wage can bite me. Creative peeps should stop settling for shit pay just to make a name for themselves. And companies like NRS who values artists of all types (at least that's my impression on the outside aspect of things #mkcollective) should definitely stop paying "what the law dictates is the minimum wage for that year" and show some respect for the artists helping in making their vision come to life and on time.

NRS should def be developing a relationship of trust and honesty with their contract workers so all expectations are met to prevent future conflicts. It's actually pretty simple. All they have to do is respect and let contractors KNOW that becoming a full timer is a slim chance, but hey, you're going to work with us on a AAA FG so you will gain resume, that does not sound too much to expect imo.

NRS-please treat your contractors as equals. As they ARE in fact working for you for the time period you need them to. That's facts. so I would say some trust has to be established in-order to prevent rebellious leaks from happening again.

They really should not treat their contractors as if they are disposable, instead it* should be in their best interest to maintain an ongoing relationship with them for when the next title is being worked on.
Well put.

Personally, I have to admit that I wouldn't be where I am today without having done contract work. But now whenever I need to open a position and someone asks me if it can be a contract role I put my foot down and demand a FTE slot. Contract positions are frustrating for the contractor, and also frustrating for the manager to be honest (who wants to manage someone who is underpaid and incentivized to leave for another company?).

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
I don't believe any of that shit. None of those "former emploies" are mentioned by name. And while people will tell me that "of course they won't be mentioned by name", that still doesn't change the much more possible of any of what this article tries to say that is true, that all it really tries to so is cash in on the drama around MK11 over the past week to get clicks and such. I've seen stuff like this on the internet for as long as I can remember. Don't believe that, this is bullshit.

At the end of the day, NRS are just fine, and MK11 is gonna be just fine as well.

Fuck why did I click on that video.
Thanks for ruining my YT recommendations thanks to this 100 view-a-video anti-SJW d-bag.
5 mins into the video and he starts talking about Burqa combat lol
Exactly, just like those fucking anti-SJW's try to speak against the game, this article does that same but from a different way. Once again, don't trust anyone.

Last edited:

Tanya-Fan-28

TanyaShouldBeInMK11
Fuck why did I click on that video.
Thanks for ruining my YT recommendations thanks to this 100 view-a-video anti-SJW d-bag.
5 mins into the video and he starts talking about Burqa combat lol
I hate anti-SJW's and I don't care if he hates the redesigns of the female characters, I just wanted to make a point on the irony/hipocrisy of NRS. It was for the female employees and the title of the vid did just that. The dude in the video seems to be on a different agenda than me so, srry for screwing up your recommendation algorithm

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
I don't believe any of that shit. None of those "former emploies" are mentioned by name. And while people will tell me that "of course they won't be mentioned by name", that still doesn't change the much more possible of any of what this article tries to say that is true, that all it really tries to so is cash in on the drama around MK11 over the past week to get clicks and such. I've seen stuff like this on the internet for as long as I can remember. Don't believe that, this is bullshit.

Exactly, just like those fucking anti-SJW's try to speak against the game, this article does that same but from a different way. Once again, don't trust anyone.
Meh, I believe it. We've smelled the smoke about this for a long while, where there's smoke there's fire more often than not.

Roy Arkon

Meh, I believe it. We've smelled the smoke about this for a long while, where there's smoke there's fire more often than not.
I think you just smelled articles like this too much that you can't see through them anymore, just saying.

NRS are just fine both inside and out, don't believe it.

Roy Arkon

But you know what? Why I'm bothering.

This is TYM, you guys are gonna take any possible bandwagon you can get and over bomb it, even if it's a bandwagon that was already calmed down, like the Towers of Time bandwagon you just opened a couple of days ago. You are so desperate to bash anything related to NRS just to get the sense of power over them, that now you go out of the competitive side of MK and go for bandwagons outside of it. And when someone tells you the truth, you shut him up, not matter what bandwagon it is.

You are taking an article that has basically came just after a drama-full-week regarding MK11 after it turned out that all of the drama is based on nothing (as MK11 is not micro-heavy like people wrongly accused it to be but rather just time-heavy, and that anti-SJW exterminates try to push their agenda at the expense of MK11 from every possible angle), and now that article comes in and try to push even more drama based on the scraps of the heat of previous drama alone, like saying NRS have women-disrespect issues and that Shaun Himmerick is unprofessional.

And you guys just eat it up, and you wanna keep eating it, because you wanna feel good about yourselves. This article is in the exact same vein as the anti-SJW articles and videos about MK11, and you keep eating them all, because you are so hungry for power judgmental rights. Now that NRS have managed to get their balance of their games and the competitive aspect of them to the point that nobody can ignore (and they couldn't be even earlier) now you try to find other ways to bash NRS, because you must get that sense of power at all costs.

And then you wonder why nobody gives a shit about TYM. This is just pathetic and sad, really.

I hope you are happy with yourselves, I'm sure a mod will probably delete this comment, because someone doesn't go with the flow.

I'm out.

Last edited:

Krankk

Smoke & Noob & Rain
Reading this makes me feel so much better about all the MK11 leaks we got. I can really imagine how one of their part time employees was pissed (rightfully so) and made and uploaded the screenshots of the roster. Just so that NRS would again lose millions in marketing. Fuck your millions, when these only end up making those people richer, who are already rich.

And on top of that, it's really sad to read all of this about Ed Boon and full time NRS employees. I always thought that all of the scummy decisions came from the higher ups at WB, who are disconnected from their fan- and customerbase. Turns out that NRS themselves might be just as much to blame. I should have known it the moment they revealed Jacqui Briggs instead of Smoke and Rain.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
I think you just smelled articles like this too much that you can't see through them anymore, just saying.

NRS are just fine both inside and out, don't believe it.
It makes sense. Their cycle of releasing games has been too frequent for it to be healthy for their employees. Even Ed Boon hinself mentions how much he works, and has gone on record to say work on the next game begins before the current is even finished. This is an all too common occurrence in the game industry.

We all love Mortal Kombat here, it's super uncomfortable to discuss especially since many of us has met NRS higher ups, but it shouldn't be ignored