What's new

This Is How They Get Away With It:" Former NetherRealm Studios Contract Devs Reveal a Troubling Studio Culture

portent

Noob
"Crunch", more or less, will probably always exist in some form in games. At a certain point there's just too much stuff to do and not enough time to do it all. Lost work is a part of the process: you have to be willing to recognize that something you worked on just isn't working, isn't fun, whatever. Scrapping work and pivoting away will cost you manhours. Prototyping and iterating takes time. For a big studio (or publicly traded publisher), delays affect investor confidence. For a small studio delays can be very tough on your bottom line. I wish it was never necessary, and it can always be reduced/improved by proper planning and process changes. Ideally, games would almost never be announced until they were in their final stages of development, but that would undermine the constant announcement/hype building arms race you see in games today (and publishers planning their releases per quarter).

With that said, crunch isn't a catch-all excuse for all forms of exploitation. People can still be fairly compensated for their time. Extended periods of crunch are damaging to employee health and morale, even if they're young and "can take it". Dangling almost entirely false promises of full-time employment, etc. "Crunch" doesn't even rank highly on my list of the things it sounds like NRS needs to improve upon, particularly regarding contract employees.
Read my other comments, I fully agree with you. What I am specifically referencing, is that every job has a "crunch" or a "busy season", some jobs have more than one of those periods per year.

It's good that these stories are coming to the surface though, as it opens the door for conversation and communication about how to address it and resolve it.

The rich take risks with their money and resources. The "normal joes" just go through life without a care.

If a business goes belly up, the employee finds a new job while the employer is bankrupt. Risk/Reward.

Life isn't a handout.
It's actually the opposite, the rich take risks and if it goes belly up they file for bankruptcy on the business and dont loose a dime in personal wealth.

Small business owners end up having to take out mortgages on their homes to survive and actually do lose everything.

Also some of you need to cool it with the takings risks argument. Its not hard to take risks when you are born into wealth. Do you really think the Trump kids would be multi millionaires if they were born into a working class family ?

Hell even the Donald himself started getting a salary of $80k a year from his dad when he was 2 years old, so please dont insult anyone's intelligence with the bullshit argument that hardwork, risk and drive is a you need to succeed.

99% of average americans are at a disadvantage the minute they are born. When was the last time you heard of a multi millionaire in this country with working class children ?

No software jobs would benefit from a union. It's not like programming a video game is any more difficult or easier than a database app or web application. It's just different libraries and patterns. The skills are completely transferable, the only thing that changes is the problem domain, and that can be picked up in a year or two.

I did get into programming because i wanted to make games too, but that's not where i ended up. And a union would do me more harm than good.
Not sure how "No software jobs would benefit from a union." when you consider the basis for this thread and the fact that a union would give the employees a voice and some leverage when it comes to their working conditions. You can thank unions for even having an eight hour workday, no child labor, and over time pay in the first place. Go and look at what working conditions were like before the fair labor act of 1938. You have probably personally benefited from things unions fought for as long as you have had a job.

Lun

proud TERF!
Yeah, no. Either EVERY videogame studio is a hellhole of unpaid immigrant labor, or these news start to sound fake and exaggerated to me.

The first time someone made a report about the toxic environment in a videogame studio, I believed it. The second one, too. The third one..... maybe. After the tenth one or so, I'm just rolling my eyes and calling it "exaggerating the work conditiions of any workplace, to make news".

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
It's actually the opposite, the rich take risks and if it goes belly up they file for bankruptcy on the business and dont loose a dime in personal wealth.

Small business owners end up having to take out mortgages on their homes to survive and actually do lose everything.

Also some of you need to cool it with the takings risks argument. Its not hard to take risks when you are born into wealth. Do you really think the Trump kids would be multi millionaires if they were born into a working class family ?

Hell even the Donald himself started getting a salary of $80k a year from his dad when he was 2 years old, so please dont insult anyone's intelligence with the bullshit argument that hardwork, risk and drive is a you need to succeed.

99% of average americans are at a disadvantage the minute they are born. When was the last time you heard of a multi millionaire in this country with working class children ?

Actually, the "poor", "disadvantaged", and "minorities" receive preferential treatment when applying to undergrad schools and ESPECIALLY graduate schools.

Student doctor network did a statistical analysis of all medical school applicants and discovered that African Americans, specifically African American females needed a whole 1.0 GPA less than white males and also required a significantly lower score on the MCATs.

Couple that with income preference and the prevalence of grants and scholarships for low income families and depending on skin color, you goto school for free.

Me? I ended up working full time through undergrad because my father was a construction worker and earned too much and didn't want to have student loans for undergrad coupled with graduated school loans.

Doesn't seem very equal does it?

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
Ladies and gentleman, this is a perfect example of the type of person to make sure you don't turn into.

Regardless of how much success you find in life, never let yourself go full piece of shit like this.
Yes, don't turn into me. Instead turn into a whiny fucking pussy that cries about working long hours and is an employer's worst nightmare.

Woe is me. Woe is my job. Woe is my life. Everyone is responsible for me being a failure but me.

Lun

proud TERF!
Yes, don't turn into me. Instead turn into a whiny fucking pussy that cries about working long hours and is an employer's worst nightmare.

Woe is me. Woe is my job. Woe is my life. Everyone is responsible for me being a failure but me.

Yo, as someone who has no doubts I'm very good at my work, I do blame others for not having a stable job yet and having to endure unfair bullshit when I do work.

On the other hand, there's that asshole who never had a work worry in his life since he's rich and mommy&daddy already have the job set for him.

So.... yeah, it's more complex than that, buddy. I really wish your failures at work were always your own, then you'd have only yourself to blame and only people who deserve it would advance in role.

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
Also, lol at people bringing up Donald Trump as the standard for how every company and corporation began. With daddies money.

You're candidate lost in 2016 and will lose in 2020. You're not getting anymore freebies or free passes in your life. Get over it and get his dick out of your mouth.

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
Yo, as someone who has no doubts I'm very good at my work, I do blame others for not having a stable job yet.

On the other hand, there's that asshole who never had a work worry in his life since he's rich and mommy&daddy already have the job set for him.

So.... yeah, it's more complex than that, buddy.
Yes, very successful person has "mommy and daddy" to thank for their success.

Stop making excuses for peoples lives. It's a bad look.

Thousands of people climb out of ghettos every year and become successful, not only with business but education.

It's not an excuse anymore.

Actually, the "poor", "disadvantaged", and "minorities" receive preferential treatment when applying to undergrad schools and ESPECIALLY graduate schools.

Student doctor network did a statistical analysis of all medical school applicants and discovered that African Americans, specifically African American females needed a whole 1.0 GPA less than white males and also required a significantly lower score on the MCATs.

Couple that with income preference and the prevalence of grants and scholarships for low income families and depending on skin color, you goto school for free.

Me? I ended up working full time through undergrad because my father was a construction worker and earned too much and didn't want to have student loans for undergrad coupled with graduated school loans.

Because schools are locally funded.. If you are poor and live in a low income area you are going to a worse school from day one. And then you have to compete with people who have the benifit of going to a well funded school that offers extracurriculars and has better classroom equipment and teachers.

It's easy to complain when you lack context.

Lun

proud TERF!
Yes, very successful person has "mommy and daddy" to thank for their success.

Stop making excuses for peoples lives. It's a bad look.

Thousands of people climb out of ghettos every year and become successful, not only with business but education.

It's not an excuse anymore.

Oh, honey. I wish I had your naive view of the world.

Let me guess, you're one of those people who have mommy&daddy backing them, right?

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
Because schools are locally funded.. If you are poor and live in a low income area you are going to a worse school from day one. And then you have to compete with people who have the benifit of going to a well funded school that offers extracurriculars and has better classroom equipment and teachers.

It's easy to complain when you lack context.
So all these kids in the "disadvantage" areas do poorly in school? Hardly.

I could go into this all day but I have a 19 hour shift to goto.

I'll try not to cry too much for you guys.

Lun

proud TERF!
So all these kids in the "disadvantage" areas do poorly in school? Hardly.

I could go into this all day but I have a 19 hour shift to goto.

I'll try not to cry too much for you guys.

So..... in what country do you live into, that a 19 hour shift is legal?

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
Oh, honey. I wish I had your naive view of the world.

Let me guess, you're one of those people who have mommy&daddy backing them, right?
Yes a construction worker with a seventh grade education who ran away for the military when they were 15 and a sewing machine operator.

Nice generalizing. Not everyone blames their problems on their parents or everyone else. Some people just do what they have to do to get ahead.

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
So..... in what country do you live into, that a 19 hour shift is legal?
Nurses is 16 hours, PAs are 24, and Doctors are 32, at least in my state. We get down time if we work 24 but only if it's not busy. Working in the trauma unit, we dont have much time.

Lun

proud TERF!
Nurses is 16 hours, PAs are 24, and Doctors are 32, at least in my state. We get down time if we work 24 but only if it's not busy. Working in the trauma unit, we dont have much time.
Mhm? I'm no doctor, but I'm sure nobody's going to be a good surgeon after 30 hours of shift.

Yes.. Kids in poorer areas with less funded Schools perform worse on tests and have lower graduation rates. This has been proven many times.
Imagine that...... eye roll

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
As a fan of NRS and Mk this is fucking sad to read. Why are companies doing this oto workers? No wonder there is a high turnover rate in general in this business. I remember when I was younger I wanted to make video games. It seems like an awful idea now. This is unhealthy and I feel bad for everyone who has been ran into the ground by this.

This is nothing new. I'm not referring to NRS, this is the mindset of businesses in general. If you lived in Michigan around 2012 you know what I mean. Work placement companies getting paid to put you into a job at half the pay. After 90 days you're a full time employee. Oh but at 89 days you're let go. It will only get worse folks. People fled Michigan in hopes of a better life. It even has a name. "The Great Migration". No I'm not joking unfortunately.

Scyther

Mortal Kombat-phile
Welp, we've gone from examining the work culture of NRS...to Donald Trump's dick.

I think it's safe to say this thread is dead.

Xentex

Noob
We are at the lowest unemployment rate since 1969 in this country.

People walk 1500 miles for a chance to enter this country illegally. The minimum wage manual labor jobs I grew up doing on the NJ shore are now going mostly to eastern European kids who make their way here for the summer, work off the books, then return home. Because American kids, even those "living in poverty" would rather sit at home and play video games.

The highest obesity rates in America are those "living in poverty." The highest obesity rates in the developed world are the American people "living in poverty."

But sure. Let's all sit around and feel sorry the contract workers who voluntarily elected to take a temporary job at NRS that they could have walked away from any hour of any day. In the best labor market of any of their lifetime's they just can't survive without those slave labor like conditions. Whatever.

I feel as bad as the next guy about kids being born into poor families in the US. But if you're going to be born into a poor family anywhere in the world, there's nowhere better to do it than the US. And your chances of moving from poverty to wealth are higher in the US than anywhere else in the world. Capitalism is the worst economic system the world has ever known, other than everything else ever tried.

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
Who joined the military AT FIFTEEN? Are you sure he isn't your grandpa?
And you now work a 19 HOURS shift?
Nice fantasy life.
Educate yourself. My father is older than my mother. Theres a 28 year age difference. My dad is 91 and grew up the depression era. He fled for the marines when he was 15. My grandparents located him about three months later and brought him back. He then left again at 18 and served four years in the Army. Afterwards he worked construction.

What's so hard to believe about that? Hes currently laid up in my moms house after breaking his back in 2016. I also have to help take care of him on my days off while balancing my personal life and 3 month old son.

This is reality. Life sucks.

Oh and here's a little video for you: