What's new

Strategy They patching smoke?

RoGE

Noob
Instead of balancing the OTG, they are just taking it out completely, I don't see why but whatever.

It's not really a insult. He IS one of the only characters that can do that. Kung Lao can do it, Sektor can, I'm pretty sure there's at least one more. There's just not a lot of character's who can do that much damage with that particular punishment. But why did they nerfs Smoke? That's all I'm asking.
Ermac can link a TKS after an air-to-air jump punch as another example, and I'm sure there are more to support your point.

Yeah I'm not too sure why everyone is freaking out so much. The biggest complaint as far as i can tell is that we won't be able to get a lot of damage off of a jump kick air grab which was nice while it lasted but isn't at all needed for smoke to win. Is it really fair to get around 40% off an air grab? I know other characters can do it but that doesn't make it any better. I can see how people think that they're taking something away from someone who doesn't have a lot to start out with since he doesn't have a low starter but let's not forget that his sweep is lightning fast, he can punish projectiles better than anyone in the game and his 3+d1+2 is an overhead on the second hit and is safe on block. In the right hands Smoke can shut down just about any player...providing you have fast enough reflexes. And who knows, maybe they'll tweak him a bit more and everything will balance out, the game has only been out for a little while so give them some time.

Zebster

How's my volume?
avg is notorious for false positives man

i use malwarebytes and no problems at all.
I used to use malwarebytes a year ago, then one day after the scan was finished it listed a bunch of files that were needed to run the computer correctly as viruses. Since the computer I was using at the time was going to be replaced (no real reason, just needed to upgrade) I decided to see what would happen if it did get rid of them. Of course, once I did, explorer.exe wasn't working (couldn't ever get the desktop working), my internet (which was wired) would randomly stop working because of some DNS problem, and a whole slew of other problems I can't remember off the top of my head.

Zebster

How's my volume?
Lets hope they fix smokes throw glitch, thats a pain in the ass, when the enemy gets a free hit on you.
Yes, I hope that's part of the bugs that were removed.

Anyway to some Smoke players: if you are serious about keeping Smoke, but are upset about removal of otg, or feel that he is not good enough to compete, then, you will probably have to wait a bit, because they are going to let the game develop for a while before adjusting anything after the patch. But, like Tom said about Quan Chi, if he isn't able to cut it in tournaments, then they'll consider buffing him, but until then you have to represent Smoke and if you must, prove that he needs a buff. If he isn't represented, then they won't know, they'll just think that no one uses him, not that there is something wrong with him.

hardwire

Noob
has any one else lost faith in nrs after this

all the smoke players begging them not to remove a tool but "fix" it
breaking kano ball on request of the comunity then reverting it back
taking tools away from other fighters instead of just balencing

i love mk9 but i have to say i wander if this is there first game

Zebster

How's my volume?
has any one else lost faith in nrs after this

all the smoke players begging them not to remove a tool but "fix" it
breaking kano ball on request of the comunity then reverting it back
Not all Smoke players begged them not to remove it, don't generalize, people don't appreciate that stuff.
NO ONE, and I mean NO Kano player asked for Kano Ball to be buffed. The only thing they asked for, was that the F+3 be a low for 2 reasons: It hit the ankles so they thought it logical that it hit low, and to help his mixup game.
Finally, no haven't lost faith in NRS. Unless they do something that I feel is really stupid or isn't explained to me (like Tom has been explaining the reasons for most of the buffs and nerfs) then I'm fine with what they do. They haven't messed with my mains too much so it doesn't bother me.

cgerrr

Tourney id: Gfc_alekS
Yeah I'm not too sure why everyone is freaking out so much. The biggest complaint as far as i can tell is that we won't be able to get a lot of damage off of a jump kick air grab which was nice while it lasted but isn't at all needed for smoke to win.
From my experience, Smoke is one-dimensional character: he’s one of the worst match-ups for any heavy zoner, but in the same time he’s really struggles against any competent rush down character, mainly because he doesn’t have much up-close (all his melee moves are relatively slow and short ranged), thus people don’t fear to get close and personal with him.

In my opinion, Smoke’s only chance is to destroy his rush down opp before he/she destroys him. You can try to run around and play cautiously, hoping for smoke bomb to connect, however good rush down player won’t allow it (and due to no chip damage you won’t be able to wear down your opp). Thus, either Smoke out damages his rush down opp, or other way around.

And certainly removing one of his dominant damage methods AND reducing his BnB damage by 4-5% won’t going to help him with those match ups. I.e. after his OTG is removed Smoke will be almost free against any competent rush down.

From my experience, Smoke is one-dimensional character: he’s one of the worst match-ups for any heavy zoner, but in the same time he’s really struggles against any competent rush down character, mainly because he doesn’t have much up-close (all his melee moves are relatively slow and short ranged), thus people don’t fear to get close and personal with him.

In my opinion, Smoke’s only chance is to destroy his rush down opp before he/she destroys him. You can try to run around and play cautiously, hoping for smoke bomb to connect, however good rush down player won’t allow it (and due to no chip damage you won’t be able to wear down your opp). Thus, either Smoke out damages his rush down opp, or other way around.

And certainly removing one of his dominant damage methods AND reducing his BnB damage by 4-5% won’t going to help him with those match ups. I.e. after his OTG is removed Smoke will be almost free against any competent rush down.
This is so right. Good explanation.

I'll also add that losing the damage off of a jump kick is a major deal. It's one of the few unique damage options that smoke had that he could leverage over his opponents, and without it his offensive is a lot more unsafe. Considering that his offense was already not spectacular, and it was pretty much his only option against rushdown characters (smoke has 0 tools to keep an opponent out), those rough matchups for him are going to become an absolute nightmare.

fleshmasher

i got the poison
I like versatility.
I think they could have nerfed him without making him less versatile.
Taking a move or combo out, makes his gameplay a bit less fun.

loook nrs took it out deal with it smoke still does decent damage without otg and still is the best anti zone char in the game stop winning up ur game and adapt like a good player should

loook nrs took it out deal with it smoke still does decent damage without otg and still is the best anti zone char in the game stop winning up ur game and adapt like a good player should
Again, the "good" players are just ditching him. Heaven forbid the fans of the character would want to prevent that....

Also, the patch being today was a rumor. NRS told CEO Jebaily that the patch won't be up before that tournament, whenever that is. Check SRK for details.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
There should be a "troll filter" for stuff like this.

There should be a "troll filter" for stuff like this.
Didnt mean to troll i was just saying that those who decide to stick with smoke will adapt to the changes. and to ApocaLips the so called "good" players who are dropping smoke because of the otg with out adapting is stupid he will still be viable without it. Btw dropping a character bc he gets a nerf isnt adapting thats taking the easy way out. My opinion yes it sucks the otg is being taken out. will i drop smoke because of it? no hes fun to play and still has some decent tools to work with.

hardwire

Noob
Didnt mean to troll i was just saying that those who decide to stick with smoke will adapt to the changes. and to ApocaLips the so called "good" players who are dropping smoke because of the otg with out adapting is stupid he will still be viable without it. Btw dropping a character bc he gets a nerf isnt adapting thats taking the easy way out. My opinion yes it sucks the otg is being taken out. will i drop smoke because of it? no hes fun to play and still has some decent tools to work with.
no sir he will not be viable with out it

he has no good mix up his game was in the air and making you pay for it when you went up to meet him.

I don't know your definition of good players. I know that the only ones who have dared play him in a major tournament are dropping him. You can shout how viable he is until you're blue in the face. It doesn't make it true. I'm going with the proven players on this one.

And lol at "easy way out." This is a competitive fighting game. There's no "easy" and "hard." There's only what works and what doesn't. Handicapping yourself by sticking to a character that received a debilitating nerf is not only pretty scrubby, it's frankly not smart.