What's new

Strategy They patching smoke?

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Can we clear up once and for all whether the air throw>smoke bomb is getting removed? I've seen posts that are phrased like it already happened but it's never been officially mentioned anywhere I've seen.

Zebster

How's my volume?
Can we clear up once and for all whether the air throw>smoke bomb is getting removed? I've seen posts that are phrased like it already happened but it's never been officially mentioned anywhere I've seen.
Getting removed in the upcoming patch in a week.

Zebster

How's my volume?
Who confirmed this? Also, I'd like to know NRS's reasoning for it.
Tom Brady confirmed it. I forgot the reason, I'd have to recheck the show where he talked about it. Alternatively you could ask him yourself.

He doesn't need it though so it's whatever.

Tom Brady confirmed it. I forgot the reason, I'd have to recheck the show where he talked about it. Alternatively you could ask him yourself.

He doesn't need it though so it's whatever.
His reason was "because it's fucking bullshit." And yes, it's a very big part of his advantage relative to the rest of the cast (no one gets as much damage off of a jump kick). And yes, it's definitely going to hurt. As I've stated plenty of times, the tourney smoke players have all dropped him. Not a good sign.

That's the only reason Tom provided, and given his ties with NRS, it may very well be why it happened. It's probably just because it's unintentional (which is an equally bad reason), but we don't actually know.

nyght87

Noob
So they're nerfing Smoke's OTG because Tom Brady says "it's fucking bullshit"? Is that all it takes now to nerf a character? Gimme a break.
It's not like he doesn't know what he is talking about. He wouldn't say something was bullshit unless it was. And it is also not like Tom Brady is the head of NRS making all the decisions on what changes are made so just because he thinks something needs to be changes doesn't mean it will and just because something was changed doesn't mean he wanted them to. Just sayin'.

This was in the same tutorial where he said that the way to play smoke is just smoke teleport around and throw bombs.

He doesn't know everything about every character in this game, and his word is not gospel. That response made him very uncomfortable with him calling the shots.

fleshmasher

i got the poison
I really hope they change their mind.
And don't take away otg bomb.
Although it doesn't seem likely.

KEEP OTG BOMB!

Kwon

---->----
So they're nerfing Smoke's OTG because Tom Brady says "it's fucking bullshit"? Is that all it takes now to nerf a character? Gimme a break.
Well, Tom Brady's word IS Gospel and if he feels something is unbalanced/needs changing, make sure he will let NRS know about it.

It's not like he just tells NRS that something is crap/bullshit without motivation and they'll change it, he is letting them know what exactly is wrong with a well-explained motivation, then it's up to NRS to amend it.
How to improve/balance a certain character is a work in progress.

Tom is very knowledgeable and it is good to see that he constantly tried to find bugs/overpowered/underpowered skills in the line-up that are in for some changing. It is good that he is letting NRS know as soon as it's found.

If you want Tom Brady to feel satisfied with "your" character you are maining in the future so that he/she isn't in the "riskzone" of nerfing, better send Tom some cakes. ;)

Well, Tom Brady's word IS Gospel and if he feels something is unbalanced/needs changing, make sure he will let NRS know about it.
Lol. Tom Brady worship is funny.

Changes should be made based on targetted gameplay improvement, not a scrubby explanation of something that he doesn't like just because he missed it in testing or something.

I'm not saying he's not knowledgeable about the game, but he's also not right about everything and he can be scrubby and a sandbagger at times. You look out for this sort of thing by looking at his explanation, which he really couldn't provide.

Kwon

---->----
Changes should be made based on targetted gameplay improvement, not a scrubby explanation of something that he doesn't like just because he missed it in testing or something.
Where is this fictional and "scrubby" explanation you claim he made?

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
I'm not dropping Smoke. I'll whip everyone's ass with or without airthrow > smoke bomb. I've been practicing without it for almost 2 weeks now.

Where is this fictional and "scrubby" explanation you claim he made?
Lol, "fictional." Check the episide of s1lent's show where they go over the stealth patch.

Just FYI, if you continue to just blindly swallow what pros say, you'll never become a better player. You might want to stop being a mindless sheep. Learn to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Kwon

---->----
Just FYI, if you continue to just blindly swallow what pros say, you'll never become a better player. You might want to stop being a mindless sheep. Learn to separate the wheat from the chaff.
What are you talking about Gloria? I have yet to blindly swallow anything.

Link to said phantom-clip about the OTG-bomb.
Let's see some concrete evidence instead of empty talk.

It's quite an outlandish claim that our well-respected Tom Brady should have said "bullshit".
He is always factual and on point.

Like I said in another thread, it's sad to see the OTG go (it made jump kicking so much more fun), but Smoke is a beast without it. Just look at the hair.

Any character doing 50% range combos mid-screen with no meter is pretty absurd. Even as a smoke player, there is no other character in the game doing that kind of meterless mid-screen damage that isn't getting nerfed with the same patch.

However Smoke has no cool tools to open up the opponent. You block high against smoke, the worst you will eat is a throw or sweep. The nice part about OTG bomb is it forced your opponent to play safe or get punished hard.

Personally I'd like to see one of two things change in return for lost OTG bomb: 1.)A better low mix-up tool 2.) Smoke bomb chip damage

What are you talking about Gloria? I have yet to blindly swallow anything.

Link to said phantom-clip about the OTG-bomb.
Let's see some concrete evidence instead of empty talk.

It's quite an outlandish claim that our well-respected Tom Brady should have said "bullshit".
He is always factual and on point.
I told you exactly where to find it. Now you're trolling. Also, Tom is known for his vulgar outbursts....

Moving on.

Smoke never did 50% mid screen. He can't otg smoke bomb after a smoke bomb (well he can, but it doesn't lead to any more hits). He got 42% off of his bnb, which is about right. The really good use for it was that he'd get a full combo off of a jump kick or air throw if he hits a grounded opponent or an opponent low in the air. That's what's going to be missed.