What's new

General/Other - Cassie Cage They fixed Cassie's Hair!

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Batman stance...
Okay, you've got me this time. That was silly.
But at least that gives some perspective on entire YMMV thing, as some people considered it a huge improvement over MK9 Scorp's stance. Which I honestly don't understand, but there's that.

Hini

Batomancer
You're 100% right, but that's exactly why there's a title for "concept artist" and "animator/modeler" and all other titles. The little words are telling the world that these people assigned to said task are SUPPOSED to be individuals that have the "knowledge" and "skills" to perform at a professional level in said field.
I havent argued against or for that.

That being said, it is true that there's a ironic effect that digital mediums have on traditional artists and vice versa, but I will tell you this, and it will be noticed in time, any exceptional artist that does mediocre digital work, will eventually surpass any non traditional artist. Reason being is because traditional art is the core of which animation bases itself off of in understanding all forms of anatomy. They have the best foundation you can ask for, they're just working on applying it to an entirely new canvas, and once they do, you can expect some insane work out of them. Its not to discredit non traditional artists or those that don't draw in general, but what's missing is that barrier from illusion to creation, which is what lets artists literally combust in imagination
Depends on the what field they go into. Technical effects artists, 3D prop and environment artists really dont need any drawing skills. Character and animation it helps.

And really you're preaching to the choir.

Tell me more about your experience in either drawing or 3D modeling.

Also rendering is what the computer does to generate the 3d or 2d model into an image. Or in art when you mention you're rendering something its applying light to your piece (usually highlights).

If you want some anecdotal evidence to the contrary of modeling in 3d compared to painting I can tell you that several of my classmates (I'm in video game graphics school) are exceptional at painting but make some highly mediocre models and sculpts.

Likewise others in my class have excellent understanding of anatomy and proportion when sculpting but cant fucking draw for shit.
4 years of art school.

testyourpatience

Ya'll stingy
how come when raven's face looks like a plastic surgery gone wring patient, everyone freaks out for two years, but when cassie has patrick swayze jaw, there's a bunch of animation-related excuses for it?

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
It amazes me that this has been one of the top threads for days and that we are for the most part this collectively concerned of how the females look in our games.
That's the latest news though, not much else to discuss, just that.
Impressions from expos people post are controversial and it seems that things change faster than people can pick them up, so some just gave up following such reports. No new reveals for quite a while.
We're just discussing what's left.

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
I don't even understand how you can assume something that stupid.

Art is not an interchangeable medium in which being able to do/ having people able to do something in one area means that other areas will magically follow suit by virtue of also being forms of art.

Wondering why a group of 3D artists can't portray characters like a group of 2D artists is like wondering why a group of auto mechanics can't fix boats like a group of boat mechanics.
A good 3D artist can translate the 2D concept art in an accurate manner within the limitations of the 3D engine. That's their entire job. When a 3D artist can't do that, they've failed at their job and need to improve. Period.

Take KojiPro as an example of translating concept art to 3D the right way.

Meanwhile, at NRS..

I can point out everything wrong with 3D Kitana compared to concept art Kitana, but that has been done a million times before. There's a clear disconnect in the details and even the proportions going from concept art to 3D, and if you don't see that then you're blind.

I will give credit where credit is due and say that MKX looks like a huge step forward for all of this, including their animation. Speaking of, I think Cassie's new model looks decent except for her dangerously swollen jaw. It's an improvement over her reveal that's for sure.

Last edited:

Ra Helios

Omnipotent God-like Selina Kyle Player
Not sure if everyone is aware of this... but most women arent supermodels..
Dude. Cassie Cage face model is ugly as hell. Its not like two couples created a baby and there you go cassie cage. They draw her and it came out lookin like shit. My first impression when I saw the character was " she ugly ass hell" How come when different games like Killer Instinct, Street Fighter or Tekken can properly make a woman face and why does neatherrealm struggle to do so? Well im not going to say struggle because if you look at the concept art for wonderwoman in injustice. Those concept art look way better then the actually final copy of the character. I personally think they actually choose to make there character look ugly. Lol. devorah look better then cassie cage in my opinion

I will give NRS credit where credit is due, Harley Quinn is their best looking female to date in any of their games, her alternate costume in game was legit, and even tho the arkham city costume wasn't originally their work, they incorporated it in to the game well, even without her make up she would have looked good...NRS you are capable, your work with Harley shows it....step your shit up senpai! No more half assness with face paint, and cover up masks!

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
I will give NRS credit where credit is due, Harley Quinn is their best looking female to date in any of their games, her alternate costume in game was legit, and even tho the arkham city costume wasn't originally their work, they incorporated it in to the game well, even without her make up she would have looked good...NRS you are capable, your work with Harley shows it....step your shit up senpai! No more half assness with face paint, and cover up masks!

She's amazing. Although I'd say that I'm not big on AC costume port. Something about her face in it was off IMO.
Also geez that battle damage... :confused:
On a side note, I really liked most of Regime/Insurgency costumes.

kantboy2

Pale Rider
Everybody complaining about Cassie's face is just waiting for the final design so they have a good reference to begin their "Cassie hentai-tentacle-shlong-she-shlong" artwork. :DOGE

Regime Shazam looks inbred but nobody bitches about that.

Urfost

Noob
It's not a problem of prettiness, it would be fine to make a model with average features or slightly ugly/unattractive. The issue here is the lack of style and sense of proportions.

In all honesty i can admit it's the most complicated type of character to produce contrary to popular belief, the "alien" characters are gonna end up looking (very) good, it's relatively easy to get them "right". I like Devora for example, i find her design on point, their graphic style worked for her.

On the other hand when the character is totally human without fancy costumes or some sh all over the face, every anthropological misconceptions is a blown up to our mind unconsciously because ou brain computes and compares it with thousands and thousands of people we ve seen through our life. Basically our brain tells us "hey, this and that, this is wrong, sorry this is not human". It's even more complicated to inject subtile beauty or ugliness but im also positively sure they can do way better on a couple of human characters than what we have seen since reveal.

I don't know what kind of build their screenshot are from and how old they are, but a couple of months away from launch, you don't really redesign anything, you re on fixing small stuff, chasing bugs, balancing. Really depends on the build advancement, the game will have to get "gold" in a matter of weeks now.