What's new

General/Other - Cassie Cage They fixed Cassie's Hair!

Hini

Batomancer
Its genuinely hard to see the effort, not trolling at all. Animation 101, their UV mapping engine/software is what's doing a lot of the work here. UV mapping in short, is what makes surfaces look realistic. To achieve the best possible looking object or person, requires a competent modeler at the very least, which NRS lacks tremendously. UV mapping in quite literally a shortcut to make a surface appear what it isn't. You take any object and lay out every face of it or every surface of it, and then you can apply a realistic image that acts like a gift wrapper on it all. The program is so sophisticated, that if the image is textured, it can even pick up on the texture and have light hit it in such a way that it appears as though it isn't a flat surface.

Point being, NRS doesn't model their faces all the way and its extremely clear as you can see how disproportionate all the features are. Its done at less than minimum, and they use UV mapping to compensate for the lack of work. I and hopefully all others that talk about looks, aren't asking for Maxim models. I just want a company and animators to actually put in the work as if they actually had a passion for it and not just cashing a check. The road to become an animator is so long and expensive that its such a disrespectful slap in the face that this ass work makes it big while countless others that have talents far exceeding these guys, have to work their asses off just to get a foot in the door
You're talking about baking in light information into the UV textures with normal maps btw.

Hini

Batomancer
I'm sure 3D rendering is just as easy as concept art. Especially when rendering 30 characters.
Tell me more about your experience in either drawing or 3D modeling.

Also rendering is what the computer does to generate the 3d or 2d model into an image. Or in art when you mention you're rendering something its applying light to your piece (usually highlights).

If you want some anecdotal evidence to the contrary of modeling in 3d compared to painting I can tell you that several of my classmates (I'm in video game graphics school) are exceptional at painting but make some highly mediocre models and sculpts.

Likewise others in my class have excellent understanding of anatomy and proportion when sculpting but cant fucking draw for shit.

Cassie still needs polish, that's just a fact. They better not make that kneeling shit the official nut punch animation; shit is a disgrace to the Cage name--

wait, isn't Cage's last name Carlton? Can you use a stage name in the military? What the fuck? Shenanigans? Eh, I'm thinking about it too hard.

But yeah, she's got a ways to go. It took Sonya ages to get a coherent, somewhat well-animated set of moves so let's hope that isn't genetic.

testyourpatience

Ya'll stingy
lara's hair looked so amazing in the definitive edition. unfortunately, i think it had a big impact on framerate. i doubt anyone's hair in mkx will look like definitive lara's. and mkx is cross gen.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
LBSH. The NRS devs haven't been able to make a decent looking female since MK4. You can hide behind the "But they're warriors!" shtick all you want, but one look at Maya and Orchid shuts that theory down. Maybe it is a purely artistic choice, but given how the INJ females are SUPPOSED to look absolutely stunning (do I really need to point out Wonder Woman and Raven's faces?) I'd say it's more a problem with the team itself.

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
Dvorak looks way more feminine so i don't get what the issue is.

As for people talking about "TALK TO REAL GIRLS!" please take your gynocentric BS somewhere else

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
So, here's a good example most of you guys are probably familiar with.
These two pictures feature the same person:

So, under circumstances that are likely presented in MKX, do you really think some person will likely look like latter pic over former (signs of epoch aside)?

Yes, this is artistic choice, nothing more. I just don't get people who act like they know how CC, new character altogether, is supposed to look like. Newsflash: she's supposed to look like Cassie Cage you're about to see.

That said, her model needs some more work, but it has nothing to do with her individuality.

Akromaniac27

Ready to lose your head?
You're comparing two very different sets of tools and mediums.
You're 100% right, but that's exactly why there's a title for "concept artist" and "animator/modeler" and all other titles. The little words are telling the world that these people assigned to said task are SUPPOSED to be individuals that have the "knowledge" and "skills" to perform at a professional level in said field. That being said, it is true that there's a ironic effect that digital mediums have on traditional artists and vice versa, but I will tell you this, and it will be noticed in time, any exceptional artist that does mediocre digital work, will eventually surpass any non traditional artist. Reason being is because traditional art is the core of which animation bases itself off of in understanding all forms of anatomy. They have the best foundation you can ask for, they're just working on applying it to an entirely new canvas, and once they do, you can expect some insane work out of them. Its not to discredit non traditional artists or those that don't draw in general, but what's missing is that barrier from illusion to creation, which is what lets artists literally combust in imagination

Ra Helios

Omnipotent God-like Selina Kyle Player
I really don't know what's so complicated about her lol why can't they just do her right ! def she's getting better but I honestly don't understand why is this so hard to make her look like a girl lol
She looks better then before. I say "give her more tweaks"

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
I think people are forgetting we're on next-gen so expectations are higher.
Considering that what people have issues with delve quite significantly into design territory, I'd say that it's not something that positively has something to do with new hardware and its potential.

khrome

Master of The Universe
Why they make butterface women, everything fine but-her-face?

Last edited:

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Their concept artists can do it, why can't their 3D artists?
I don't even understand how you can assume something that stupid.

Art is not an interchangeable medium in which being able to do/ having people able to do something in one area means that other areas will magically follow suit by virtue of also being forms of art.

Wondering why a group of 3D artists can't portray characters like a group of 2D artists is like wondering why a group of auto mechanics can't fix boats like a group of boat mechanics.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Wondering why a group of 3D artists can't portray characters like a group of 2D artists is like wondering why a group of auto mechanics can't fix boats like a group of boat mechanics.
Well, both auto mechs and boat mechs can fix what they are supposed to fix, so I'm not sure if that's a good comparison. It helps that people who post ITT can (I suppose) provide examples of female faces done "right", so...