What's new

There needs to be a visual indication of when a cooldown is up

Would this be a good addition?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
With the latest patch, NRS added a cooldown period where characters like Sub-Zero and Quan Chi can't use their clone/bat for a few seconds after it's been used or timed out. I believe Sub Zero has one second where he can't call another clone and two seconds for Quan before he can summon puggles again.

While these changes were probably for the better, they failed to address that the game runs almost entirely on visual/audio cues, which are extremely important to most players. There's no obvious signal that you can put up your summon again which can make it a little frustrating at times for both players

For the sake of clarity, I propose both a visual and an audio alert to let you know that your/the opponent's summon is ready to be called up on. The visual cue would be easy enough for Quan; while his ability is on cooldown, his shoulders no longer glow red. Sub-Zero could receive the same for his medallion, but it's a bit harder to notice. For both of them, some sort of brief ping would be enough to let someone know they can use their ability.

It's not a major issue but I think it'd help both players know when they can use their ability or when they have to respect one of their options being available again.

EDIT: Ferra/Torr might be able to do with something like this as well. It's not always apparent when exactly you can toss the girl again, since there's a short period where she needs to jump on you first

EDIT 2: I forgot about Stunt Double Johnny, he's a little off about it as well.

Can someone tell me if characters with buffs like Liu Kang's fire fist have cooldowns? I don't know who all has one but knowing which ones do would be helpful to the thread.

Last edited:

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
You have a visual indication of the aura disappearing that tells you when it's gone

Grandmaster and Summoner have no visual indication to tell them when their tools are available again
I know man. I'm just saying that if I got used to feeling a 10-second waiting period I think a 1-second cooldown should be easy to get used to.

Not that I would oppose having a visual indicator, of course.

Jb879212

40 Percent Punish
Actually I heard that for grandmaster, you can tell when cool down is over by looking at the ice fumes from the dissipating clone

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Let's also make characters have red outlines when they're negative so we don't have to learn when/what to punish.
I don't get the comparison. Being negative and knowing how negative is game knowledge; requiring a visual indicator is only for clarity purposes and affects nothing else.

it's not like this clarity issue isn't already in the game for other characters, should we take those out?

I don't get the comparison. Being negative and knowing how negative is game knowledge; requiring a visual indicator is only for clarity purposes and affects nothing else.
Both result in you having to know less about the game to play with/against a character. making the game easier for no reason other than to make it easier is silly.

I don't have a problem with an indicator existing. I have a problem with saying it NEEDS to exist.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Both result in you having to know less about the game to play with/against a character. making the game easier for no reason other than to make it easier is silly.
So should we take out Kung Lao's disappearing hat since that requires you having to know less about the game? Seems like it's just babying those dirty Lao players, knowing when they can use a hat-based move again

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Well he'd look pretty silly if he kept his hat on after he threw it.
It looks silly to have his hat magically reappear on his head, but that's not the point. It's visual feedback much like the majority of things in the game is based on. Blood and Sun God Kotal Kahn are prime examples of visual cues and their necessity; can you imagine not having any idea of which buff he's got on and then suddenly either eating a 60% combo or doing peanut damage to him because he has Obsidian?

I don't have a problem with an indicator existing. I have a problem with saying it NEEDS to exist.
re-responding to this; would saying there "should" be a visual indication like there are for other characters change your mind? It doesn't affect the game in any sort outside of making it more apparent for both players (which already happens), and the visual indicators would be subtle enough that you'd have to be paying attention

If you want it ask for it, but if it's half as subtle as any other visual indicator in the game it'll be easier to just count to 1 or 2.

666 I HazeOner

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Just learn your character, why give your opponent any clue when he has to be more carefull (maybe even punish your clone) - maybe give Reptile his shadow when he's fully invisible so players can see where they are on screen :) ?
Maybe a tip for players: learn to tap a rythm with your foot that lasts until it wears off, dunno, you'll get used to the timing after a while man. Don't give your opponent more than he already has.

Edit: It will become a second nature for good players, did everyone look at those counters in IGAU - seems to me that players like Arma or King knew exactly when cooldown ended.

Last edited: