What's new

There needs to be a visual indication of when a cooldown is up

Would this be a good addition?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Having the game assist you with something anyone can already do is a crutch imo.
but it's already in the game and it's notably important to know what's going on with the game; both players get visual feedback of what's happening and when and i can list every single example of visual feedback that occurs in the game if you really want me to

it's not a crutch

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
but it's already in the game and it's notably important to know what's going on with the game; both players get visual feedback of what's happening and when and i can list every single example of visual feedback that occurs in the game if you really want me to

it's not a crutch
I think a list like that would be great to compile in order to keep people informed, a few examples to point me in the right direction would be great though at the moment.

I stand by my opinion on the matter though. I think the point I made earlier where the player with a better understanding of the cooldown should have the advantage. I really don't see a need for a visual indicator when it's perfectly manageable without one, especially if it rewards a better understanding of the timing.

I will say I can't argue against having it in practice mode. That's fine with me.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
I think a list like that would be great to compile in order to keep people informed, a few examples to point me in the right direction would be great though at the moment.

I stand by my opinion on the matter though. I think the point I made earlier where the player with a better understanding of the cooldown should have the advantage. I really don't see a need for a visual indicator when it's perfectly manageable without one, especially if it rewards a better understanding of the timing.

EDIT: Kenjutsu Kenshi's visual indication of his sword returning is also a really good measure of when you can connect the one-frame link in his combos. It'll eventually become muscle memory but the notice that his sword will flash when you can move again is a good way to start it.

I will say I can't argue against having it in practice mode. That's fine with me.
Things like Lao's hat/Ferra being on Torr's back are the most obvious examples (though they're also inconsistent as Ferra needs to return and hat is based on the stage length), but there's also more subtle things like Thunder God Raiden's charged projectile -- while it's charging he'll have more electricity gathering around his feet that will inform you how hard it hits and which on-hit effect you'll get.

I don't think giving this to other characters who could use it would hurt the game's health.

Umm then why have it? This isn't a rpg. The timing should be on the player.
Because visual clarity is never a bad thing?

Last edited:

Scoot Magee

Things like Lao's hat/Ferra being on Torr's back are the most obvious examples (though they're also inconsistent as Ferra needs to return and hat is based on the stage length), but there's also more subtle things like Thunder God Raiden's charged projectile -- while it's charging he'll have more electricity gathering around his feet that will inform you how hard it hits and which on-hit effect you'll get.

I don't think giving this to other characters who could use it would hurt the game's health.

Because visual clarity is never a bad thing?
The thing about the first to examples you gave is that it seems like those moves actually need those animations otherwise it would look stupid. The raiden one has nothing to do with cooldown at all but the animation makes sense considering the projectile is building power. I just don't see why something like sub zero's clone needs an indicator. That's just how I feel, the pole says TYM feels otherwise.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
Look at some of the people who are voting yes. It's real talented tournament vets. They obviously aren't just asking for it because they're not good enough to count, it just makes sense that when a cooldown is implemented there be some sort of cue for when it ends. I don't see what the big backlash about this is, it's common sense

RYX

BIG PUSHER
The thing about the first to examples you gave is that it seems like those moves actually need those animations otherwise it would look stupid. The raiden one has nothing to do with cooldown at all but the animation makes sense considering the projectile is building power. I just don't see why something like sub zero's clone needs an indicator. That's just how I feel, the pole says TYM feels otherwise.
Think of it as something to better help players feel out when something is going to come back, since there's no actual listed cooldown in the moves list for any ability with a cooldown.

For moves like Cage's mimics and D'Vorah's crawler, having something to let you know when you can use these abilities again would make it a lot easier to get used to the cooldown time and learn faster. The way I see it, it'd have no effect on people who are already familiar with the game and it'd be at the very least a moderate boon to newcomers interested in learning the deeper aspects of the game

Scoot Magee

Look at some of the people who are voting yes. It's real talented tournament vets. They obviously aren't just asking for it because they're not good enough to count, it just makes sense that when a cooldown is implemented there be some sort of cue for when it ends. I don't see what the big backlash about this is, it's common sense
I don't think posting that I disagree is a big backlash. I'm not worried about what other players say on the matter regardless of how accomplished they are. I'm sure there's people good, bad and great that have differing opinions on the matter.

Reactions: RYX

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
Don't forget about Cassie's American Way taunt in Spec Ops, even though it is pretty quick.

Reactions: RYX

Mst

Noob
I think something like this would also be nice for Spectators a small indicator if something is back up or not if a move/ability has a build-in cooldown.

NorCalSamurai

Bacon Lettuce Tomato
I say no because people should know the timing on their characters cooldown. It makes the oppenent also have to be wary of when you get your abilty back. If you know the timing better than your oppenent it grants you an advantage. The player with a better understanding should be rewarded.

Seriously there's enough easy shit in the game as it is. Why do we need to make it easier?
Hadn't considered the opponent thing, good point. I kinda wanted a timer for Johnny's clones, but fuck it. There's a game clock, let it rock.

Wrath0594

Steam profile: 76561198102032134
Would be a huge boon to SD Johnny since the 6.5 second cooldown is easy to lose track of.

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
People are asking for visual Injustice trait bar that characters like aquaman, batman, MM, superman and black adam had. That is what you guys are asking for right?