What's new

The Wii-U discussion thread

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
One huge negative again regardless of region locked is no ethernet port im told, all wireless

.........facepalm
This is why Nintendo consoles will never be viable for fighters. But I'm not surprised, shit already doesn't have a HDD and I remember having to buy an ethernet adapter for Tatsunoko vs Capcom on Wii. That might work. But still, they're making what, a $2 saving? -_-

Yes, it is

Grumptronix

Fuck off, I'm not grumpy
This is why Nintendo consoles will never be viable for fighters. But I'm not surprised, shit already doesn't have a HDD and I remember having to buy an ethernet adapter for Tatsunoko vs Capcom on Wii. That might work. But still, they're making what, a $2 saving? -_-
If that...

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Not getting it, don't want it. I really would only get it if it's free or some amazing games come out for it. Wii was pretty awful, I only ever play it at parties when everyone is drunk and there isn't much else to do, lol.

Also, a bunch of reviews and friends have said ZombieU isn't that great.

IGN: "ZombiU is packed with great ideas, but it doesn’t capitalize on any of them." (Wii U,Zombie U)

6.3/10

And other reviews giving it from 4-8. Friends have said it's kinda boring and Black Ops Zombies and L4D is way better.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
The launch list is horrible. Only game worth it is New SMB-U. I'll wait.

Was just at Wal-Mart and they have FOUR on the shelf. This is absurd for a new system launch this close to Christmas.

Jer

I'm a literal Sloth
I'm gunna buy one because I'm a giant Nintendo fanboy, although I do realize that the launch titles are ass just like every Nintendo release.

I'm still waiting for Animal Crossing 3D :(

Gimmick

Noob
I dont understand anybody shelling out the $300+ for the WiiU right now. All of the launch games are either not a "must have" or 3rd party titles that you can get on other consoles. I think im done with Nintendo after 15 plus years of supporting them. The WiiU just doesnt excite me, and the gamepad looks meh. I'll save my $$$ for the REAL next gen consoles.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
http://www.twitch.tv/giantbomb/b/341162921

Here is a archive of a stream where Giant Bomb play the Wii for about 7 hours, play multiple games, and test the OS.

Basically several ports are horrible, Batman has horrible framerate problems anytime you are in combat, Epic Micky 2 runs about 15 FPS, and when you use your paint power the frames drop even more, to about 5fps, which makes the game basically unplayable.
Several other games like ME3, NG3, BO2 all have problems as well. All the games they played have bad load times.

The WiiU operating system is a piece of shit, everything takes forever to load, the store, apps, friend requests, nothing about it is smooth. They ran into several errors, and two system hard locks. The system accounts have DRM, if you make an account on one WiiU system, it is locked to that console, you can not move it, all your games you bought, your name, and all your data, stuck there.

The WiiU exclusive games are kinda bad, Nintendo land looks bleh, and NSMB is just as boring and bland as the last couple NSMB games for the DS/3DS

That said, come March, I will be buying one to play Monster Hunter Tri G, as it is my favorite video game series ever, and I would buy a fucking Atari Jaguar if it had a Monster Hunter game.

I'll probably also buy Injustice for the WiiU as well, because fuck paying XBL ever again.

aj1701

Noob
The launch list is horrible. Only game worth it is New SMB-U. I'll wait.

Was just at Wal-Mart and they have FOUR on the shelf. This is absurd for a new system launch this close to Christmas.
Were oothers sold or did they only have shelve space for four.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
I play PC games, so I don't expect WiiU graphics to really impress me.

I was impressed on ZombiU, it's a serious survival horror so far. The multiplayer is actually a lot of fun as well.

Oh and when Nintendo said it would take 2 clicks of a button to sync the Gamepad to your TV, they weren't kidding.

I found out that my original Wii doesn't need the sensor bar anymore to be connected...it works off of the WiiU or someshit... kinda scary how it works.

Art Killer B

[Mid-tier Humble-man]
The sad truth: Mortal Kombat Unlimited will come with the patch (trades, no more resets, -24 on block Spirit Charges, 40 Kenshi projectiles=1 bar of meter) and MK 1, 2 and 3 costumes for all.

I can't believe people even care.Horrible HORRIBLE system.

720 is not far and same price for much MUCH more.
Interesting, did you pick up a Wii U and trade it in already? If not, how would you know that the system is horrible? A demo of one game at your local Gamestop probably shouldn't merit an opinion of "Horrible HORRIBLE system".

Pray tell of your inside information on the next Xbox. What will it be offering that the Wii U doesn't do? Also, you already know the price and release date?

Of course, I'm not being serious with these questions, but my point is that you sound silly making such bold claims that are completely unfounded. A simple: I don't like Nintendo consoles would have sufficed, opposed to implying that you actually tried the Wii U, hated it, and have exclusive inside information on the next Xbox that says it will be priced the same and offer a better gaming experience. I also cannot wait for the next Xbox, but come on.

I thought I would share some of my impressions with the board and if anyone is still on the fence:

I've had about 4 hours with the console now and

It's a much more well rounded package than the Wii (obviously).

Switching from different menus requires some loading--it is not excessive or anything, but it definitely doesn't feel as smooth as it could be.

Nintendo Land will be a fun party game, but not substantial for a single player experience.

Zombi U is a bit unpolished, but has some great ideas and concepts that make it worth some play time. The atmosphere is great, but the graphics are a bit of a let down. I'm a big fan of the old Resident Evil games and I personally like the game very much.

The Control Pad is much more comfortable to play on than expected. Switching between looking at the TV and smaller screen for in game sequences can be a little disorienting at first, but once you know when to look where, it's a very cool concept that is well executed in the titles that I've played.

The range on the Control Pad is impressive, it seems to be around 30 feet (I tested this while streaming Netflix). Too bad that couldn't have gotten it to around 50 or so, that way I could use it virtually anywhere in my place.

The set up, updates for the console, etc. can take a bit. Downloads and installs included, it probably took a little over an hour. Each game required a patch, which took around 5-10 minutes to download and install. I think these times will improve once their servers are not being crushed with everyone getting updates at the same time.

So far, so good. Looking forward to some more game time, but I'll definitely be sticking to 360 for Injustice and other fighting games. Nintendo clearly has a stronger focus on core gamers with the Wii U, but without the inclusion of an ethernet port, it's clear that they're still not ready to be the one stop console.

I play PC games, so I don't expect WiiU graphics to really impress me.

I was impressed on ZombiU, it's a serious survival horror so far. The multiplayer is actually a lot of fun as well.

Oh and when Nintendo said it would take 2 clicks of a button to sync the Gamepad to your TV, they weren't kidding.

I found out that my original Wii doesn't need the sensor bar anymore to be connected...it works off of the WiiU or someshit... kinda scary how it works.
If you have a cell-phone, take out your camera and point it at your sensor bar.

It will all make sense shortly thereafter.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
The sad truth: Mortal Kombat Unlimited will come with the patch (trades, no more resets, -24 on block Spirit Charges, 40 Kenshi projectiles=1 bar of meter) and MK 1, 2 and 3 costumes for all.

I doubt it, with Injustice coming out so soon, it would be pointless to put MK on it, it would canabalize sales.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
If you have a cell-phone, take out your camera and point it at your sensor bar.

It will all make sense shortly thereafter.
No I understand how the infrared works, but I dont get why it not being connected to the original Wii, but being connected to the WiiU makes it work on the Wii (even though its on a different input).

Flagg

Noob
Found this out today: http://www.vg247.com/2012/11/19/wii-u-eshop-lets-indie-devs-set-prices-and-issue-free-patches/

“That’s what we love about the new eShop, we have the power to price our products as we please, with just some basic guidelines from the big guys,” he said.
“We can set our own pricing and actually continuing on that by setting our own sales whenever we want. It is very close to what Apple and Steam are doing at the moment, and very indie friendly.”
On top of that, Nintendo doesn’t charge indies for patches, something which often leads to major delays on console games getting fixes.
“Simply put they’ve told us that there are no basic payments for each patch (which were pretty high on most platforms) and that we can update our game almost as much as we want. For indie developers this is huge,” Haveri said.