What's new

The Wake Up Attack and AA explanation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaredL

Aww shit <REDACTED DUE TO FEELINGS> its Shapzam
Come to think of it, who exactly was complaining against AA and wake ups?

Only a few people have amazing wake ups, and they can be baited in any case.

Only a few have amazing AAs like an aquaman.

Jeffreys

Grundy think you handsome!
Even though I don't play a rushdown character like Flash I do feel he isn't that great. Maybe I just have that mentality that he should be like Johnny Cage and do a good amount of chip damage AND be able to mix up, if it is all about mixup city then I don't feel that he will be a viable character. Seems like a flash main would have to go through alot of pain just to even make him viable against the top 5.

The Gabriel

Mean Man
SO... if the opponent is going to just flat out attack me straight up as I get up, I will wake up attack. If they try to use a jump in attack, I will dash under them and punish the whiffed jumping attack. This is called making a read.
Except it's not really making a read if you play with one of the half (3/4?) of the cast who have "bad" wake-up attacks with only start-up invincibility that, as you illustrated earlier, will get stuffed by an opponent just flat out attacking you straight up as you get up.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
The issues with AA weren't about the type of character. I play characters that are neither rush down nor keep away; but I can understand what people are talking about. It's mainly the extremely low priority of having a lot of anti-air normals connect. So low that when you react to a jump-in and go to hit them out of the air to start a combo, jumping attacks of various kinds simply hit you as if you hadn't done anything.

Certain characters do have higher-priority AA's, or constructs/hand-held weapons which put their hurtboxes well outside their hitboxes for AA-type normals. But the allocation really has nothing to do with apparent tier, and there are characters that struggle against a lot of the cast and still aren't granted solid AA options that other characters have.

I'm not one to complain much about things. So I mainly just play the game. But I see what people are talking about, and it has nothing to do with character styles. They just want d2's and other moves to work when they connect with them.

that is some really good info on the wakeup attack system Ill practice on that.

About the anti air thing, it is still weird for you to not being able to anti air with a specific move during neutral game. I just dont know if I like the idea that you have to focus the entire game on not getting jumped on and then to have some characters in the game that DO have reliable anti air options.

The issues with AA weren't about the type of character. I play characters that are neither rush down nor keep away; but I can understand what people are talking about. It's mainly the extremely low priority of having a lot of anti-air normals connect. So low that when you react to a jump-in and go to hit them out of the air to start a combo, jumping attacks of various kinds simply hit you as if you hadn't done anything.

Certain characters do have higher-priority AA's, or constructs/hand-held weapons which put their hurtboxes well outside their hitboxes for AA-type normals. But the allocation really has nothing to do with apparent tier, and there are characters that struggle against a lot of the cast and still aren't granted solid AA options that other characters have.

I'm not one to complain much about things. So I mainly just play the game. But I see what people are talking about, and it has nothing to do with character styles. They just want d2's and other moves to work when they connect with them.
I dont think its about the type of character you play as well, I wouldn't be able to be happy about my win if all I did was jump on the opponent.

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit

But the "my character NEESDS AA" is quoted throughout every board on every fighter since SF4 shocked the community back to life.

Not every character NEEDS AA.. Those that are fortunate to have them cover areas that would totally exploit them.. ie: Aquaman.. If he did not have arguably the best AA in the game, he would be free to jump in's all day long. It's more of a 1+1 equation than favorites or spiteful "lets make this character OP".

What I took as the basis of the thread is to show people that are interested that there are OPTIONS.. And perhaps the best option of all is to learn match ups before hand and not attack each opponent with the same mindset.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
xWEBSx The issue wasn't so much that every character needs it, it's just that people want to be able to reliably use their AA normals, in general, in the game, but the priority makes it hard to do so.

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
xWEBSx The issue wasn't so much that every character needs it, it's just that people want to be able to reliably use their AA normals, in general, in the game, but the priority makes it hard to do so.
I see where you are coming from.. But that is in fact what makes good AA vs bad AA options per character. Not all characters are created equal.. And it is up to those players who play the characters with poor AA options to think outside the box and not put themselves in the position of a jump in attack to begin with.. Which also had been mentioned.. And the term used was spacing.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Fuck that it's more fun to complain.

Nerf Aquaman he has an anti air, good zoning, good rushdown, breakers...

NERF AQUAMAN JUST LIKE THE DIRTY FILTHY SUB ZERO.

I don't want to lab anymore. Just nerf all the characters and give me an auto win button please.

Solid

The Longbow Hunter.
Aquaman is good, from the XP I have against him, I agree with this. His zoning tool is like hella punishable and the Trident toss is ass. B12 low starter, block low react to his B2/F3, I don't know what "pressure" he has, he seems to be space and punish character.

But that's just my opinion as of now.
Ever used his F1? Here is the deal with Aquaman's F1: It is 7 frames +3 on block, hits mid AND out ranges his D1. F1 can go into his overhead or his DB1 or into the overhead followed by the DB1. If you manage to get away blocking all that and try to punish you will get too know mr. Aqua's trait. No punish for you. Oh but then you want to throw right? I don't think anybody will be throwing Fishman cause tech is done on reaction and it is even easier if he has the trait on and is expecting you to throw punish.

Back to his F1 it's a nightmare to be poked with. It can't be counter poked either which leads to the next problem. Walking away from Aquaman. Here is where you will eat his B1 most of the time. You will think it's safe but it won't be and the guessing game begins once again. Nobody really knows when Aquaman will cut his strings into the scoop and he can also block confirm into those stupid stabs. You could backdash I guess and you will meet those ground tridents. Ok let's push block that fish stick away now comes another question. Approaching from the ground is a big problem lets try the air. Wrong again. D2 will own your ass. All of those wrong choices will lead to over 40 percent of your life gone with meter. I forgot his JB2 and he can cross you over easily with Ji3. Tom how dare you downplay Aquabreath. People beg for your buffs.

Thead

Noob
Which AA normals are you talking about? Surely if the move isn't working as an AA, it's more than likely not meant to be an AA.

For the majority of the cast correct spacing is a great AA, it leads to whiffed air attacks and full combo punishes. When someone's jumping in on you all the time, it's your own fault for making the wrong reads and advancing rather than spacing yourself.

I was playing online vs a Raven player he randomly beat out my cat dash whit D1, yes D1, is it an online random or something? in training mode I tryed it and I allways got Raven whit the dash.

Status
Not open for further replies.