What's new

The Ultimate Cheetah Guide

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
This thread is simply amazing. Awesome job!

I would also like to add that her db1 Savage Ambush isn't exclusive to crouching opponents. I found this out by accident when I messed up a dbf1 mid-combo.

Basically I found that her db1 can be used in just about any juggle situation where a dbf1 would connect, it seems to do about the same amount of damage, and it can be meter burned for a follow-up just like dbf1.

Just thought I'd mention it since it's much easier to consistently pull off if you have trouble with dbf inputs like me.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter

I would also like to add that her db1 Savage Ambush isn't exclusive to crouching opponents. I found this out by accident when I messed up a dbf1 mid-combo.

Basically I found that her db1 can be used in just about any juggle situation where a dbf1 would connect, it seems to do about the same amount of damage, and it can be meter burned for a follow-up just like dbf1.

Just thought I'd mention it since it's much easier to consistently pull off if you have trouble with dbf inputs like me.
That is very true; the only issues are that it doesn't have the range of dbf1, so it will whiff in some combos, it leaves the opponent much farther away than dbf1, and the hit advantage is only 23 as opposed to dbf1's 31. So overall, you can't really follow it up with anything.

That said, db1 switches sides while dbf1 does not, and vice versa for the meter-burn versions. That could have some uses once we start to understand the game more.

Overall, I think she just benefits too much more from dbf1 than from db1.

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
That is very true; the only issues are that it doesn't have the range of dbf1, so it will whiff in some combos, it leaves the opponent much farther away than dbf1, and the hit advantage is only 23 as opposed to dbf1's 31. So overall, you can't really follow it up with anything.

That said, db1 switches sides while dbf1 does not, and vice versa for the meter-burn versions. That could have some uses once we start to understand the game more.

Overall, I think she just benefits too much more from dbf1 than from db1.
I didn't realize it can whiff where dbf1 doesn't. I usually connect it to a standing 3 which seems to work every time. Good info!

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I didn't realize it can whiff where dbf1 doesn't. I usually connect it to a standing 3 which seems to work every time. Good info!
Just sometimes, especially from 112 combos.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
The Combos section has been optimized and updated.

bishbash

Magic as easy as 1 2 standing3

Have you tried buffering the input? 11d2bf1 will read as 112dbf1. I find connecting the string after a j3 to be tricky though so usually do ji2 ji1 112 and you don't drop much damage with the double jump although a j3 is still optimal.

While I'm here does anyone have any advice on hitting f23 at the end of a corner juggle? I've tried a few combinations of jump in attacks and standing normals to try and hit this consistently but still having limited success

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Have you tried buffering the input? 11d2bf1 will read as 112dbf1. I find connecting the string after a j3 to be tricky though so usually do ji2 ji1 112 and you don't drop much damage with the double jump although a j3 is still optimal.

While I'm here does anyone have any advice on hitting f23 at the end of a corner juggle? I've tried a few combinations of jump in attacks and standing normals to try and hit this consistently but still having limited success
I found it too inconsistent, and you lose so much damage, though that +37 standing reset almost makes it worth it. I'll test it a bit more and post my findings.

bishbash

I found it too inconsistent, and you lose so much damage, though that +37 standing reset almost makes it worth it. I'll test it a bit more and post my findings.
Yeah I just want the extra options in the corner since I'm feeling more comfortable with what I'm already doing with her. That and it looks pretty swag so

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
@bishbash f3-j3-f23(throw) does 315, which is decent. You have to delay the f23 just long enough for both hits to connect. Same with a naked j3.

bishbash

@bishbash f3-j3-f23(throw) does 315, which is decent. You have to delay the f23 just long enough for both hits to connect. Same with a naked j3.

Yeah I just tried it with a plain j3 and it's not too tricky to hit in practice pretty consistently if you time your j3 a little late but I doubt I'll be trying it too often unless I'm playing offline, even slight latency will throw that off for me

I don't get the f3 love, it's only useful as part of her oki. B3 seems to have a good hit / hurt box so you can throw it out in neutral and still be safe, maybe catch something and not get stuffed out like f3 does.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I don't get the f3 love, it's only useful as part of her oki. B3 seems to have a good hit / hurt box so you can throw it out in neutral and still be safe, maybe catch something and not get stuffed out like f3 does.
F3 has deceptive range; it actually reaches just as far as b3 while breaking armor and being a +10-on-block overhead. It adds to her mixup game since it must be blocked standing, but your opponent is going to be afraid of your d3 or b1. It also has an enormous hitbox that will catch jumping opponents. It's essentially better in every single way than her b3, except for a few specific bounce cancels.

kcd117

Noob
Her F3 is hands down the best in the game, obnoxious hitbox, breaks armor, oki monster, leads to huge dmg, jails into D3, its such an amazing tool, it adds so much to cheetah's setplay, just the fear of a mbF3 can leave your oponent open for a comand grab into full combo, and a blocked F3 in the corner leads to an infinite guessing game. Most of the cast has no answers to her F3. On oki they simply can't wakeup (unless they have a parry) if you have a bar of meter, and cheetah always has plenty. She's so fun to play, even though a few characters can give her some trouble, it feels like once you knock them down it's her game. Loving her gameplay so far, she reminds me a bit of Cammy and Tanya, she is the rushdown character I always wanted. I also feel like she has no huge issues, she has the tools to deal with everything in the right hands. Cheetah's worst matchups so far seems to be batman and superman, but these two are in a tier of their own rn, due to batman's strong zoning paired with his insane pressure, and superman's complete neutral control paired with his insane dmg and corner game. She feels great overall.

It doesn't "break armour", the second hit has to connect and it's doesn't instantly follow the first hit and the first hit can whiff. It's start-up is still horrendous for an overhead, I'm not seeing anyone abuse it at a high level, though I'm not seeing many people use cheetah

Zionix

AKA Ponkster
It doesn't "break armour", the second hit has to connect and it's doesn't instantly follow the first hit and the first hit can whiff. It's start-up is still horrendous for an overhead, I'm not seeing anyone abuse it at a high level, though I'm not seeing many people use cheetah
Not too sure what you are saying here.

MB F3 will beat out most characters B3/F3 MB.

30 frames is react-able but you will catch people dashing/backdashing or just not watching their head.

Its very, very good.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Ok, assuming all of that is true, how is b3 any better? It too does not break armor and it too has a horrendous start-up (especially for a Mid). I'm really not sure what the argument is, here.

kcd117

Noob
F3 is not about catching people blocking low, it's about conditioning. If you are playing against a character that doesn't have a good wakeup they have to respect it on every knockdown otherwise they are eating 40% into another knockdown, and even if they have a good one but you have a bar of meter they have to respect it, even the best backdashes get stuffed by f3. Once they respect it you start going for high grab into 45/50%. they don't have a lot of room to guess wrong in the mixup, since she can potentially 2/3 touch them. It's so opressive that if you don't have a parry and cheetah has a bar you have no options but to guess right on knockdown, which is quite hard considering she has a million different ways of opening you up for huge dmg. In the neutral, mbf3 is a 30 frames armored 2 hit launcher, yeah, it's very very reactable, but it wins trades against most characters best footsies tools, if you space it correctly and know when to use it you can beat aqua's b1 string, gl's b1 string, Poison Ivy's b2 string, and that plays a huge part in those matchups. F3 is great, b3 is decent, but F3 outclasses every single aspect of it.

I'm saying its only good on knockdown and you need it to be meaty otherwise it just doesn't work.

In neutral, b3 is less likely to be stuffed out than f3 because of it's hurtbox being seemingly smaller, but far less advantageous on block.

I'm trying to use f3 more, mbf3 seems good but I'm not keen on spending meter for that.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Did they nerf her D3 range or something? D3 doesn't hit at the start of the match, I don't think.

Fantastic guide though, really appreciate your work @karaokelove.
Yeah, it's been whiffing for me against a lot of characters lately. Don't know what might have changed. It will still catch anyone trying to do anything other than jump or move back, though, so it's still a decent way to start the round against anyone not named Aquaman.