What's new

The Truth Behind The Truth (Tom Brady's Thoughts on MK11 and Evo 2020)

PaulB is one of the biggest examples of someone full of complete shit & after the crap he pulled in the KI community shouldn’t ever be listened to by anyone ever
Nobody is 0 man. We all are a working in progress and he was veryclear and on point saying what he thinks. And the other 3 agreed with him including REO, so.... Geras low sand is ridiculous.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
This is addressed in the podcast. May you answer me why Marvel vs Capcom 2 had very consistent players back then, even though the game is well known as a complete broken shit competitively?
Our placings are overall far more consistent than Marvel 2. It’s not just a few consistent players.

Last edited:

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Ok, but please answer the question. I'm not trying to win anything here, im just sharing ideas. MK9 had kind of consistent top 8 at the time too...
Marvel 2 is known as broken (meaning the top characters had insanely broken stuff), not random. A game being ‘random’ is a completely different accusation.

And you can't be serious about MK9. Compare the first year of MK9 placings (or any NRS game for that matter) to the first year of MK11. It's night and day.

Marvel 2 is known as broken (meaning the top characters had insanely broken stuff), not random. A game being ‘random’ is a completely different accusation.

And you can't be serious about MK9. Compare the first or second year of MK9 placings (or any NRS game for that matter) to the first year of MK11. It's night and day.
No man that is not the point. I'm not talking about one game, what I'm trying to convey is the fact that there are consistent players at the top 4...5...8...in any game. Do you know why that happen?

And if the problem is the word...random, broken....I mean, the game has problems anyway right? That is the point....

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
No man that is not the point. I'm not talking about one game, what I'm trying to convey is the fact that there are consistent players at the top 4...5...8...in any game. Do you know why that happen?
That's not actually true. In every previous game we've had people placing, even at the absolute biggest tournaments like EVO, that either never or rarely placed again. MK11 is the first game we've had where that didn't happen.

There are almost no question marks, ever. It's almost entirely the people you'd expect to be there.

I don't really think you can look at the first year results from MKX, Injustice, MK9 etc. and say in good faith that there weren't lots of inconsistent placements, especially early on. MK11 has been solid as a rock placements-wise from the very first majors.

It's also far more consistent than the first year of SFV (or even the last year) and numerous other games.

That's not actually true. In every previous game we've had people placing, even at the absolute biggest tournaments like EVO, that either never or rarely placed again. MK11 is the first game we've had where that didn't happen.

There are almost no question marks, ever. It's almost entirely the people you'd expect to be there.

I don't really think you can look at the first year results from MKX, Injustice, MK9 etc. and say in good faith that there weren't lots of inconsistent placements, especially early on. MK11 has been solid as a rock placements-wise from the very first majors.

It's also far more consistent than the first year of SFV (or even the last year) and numerous other games.
You are analizing "the first year". You have to understand the context where MK9, Marvel and even MKX were in tournaments.
The competitive scene was not like nowadays, and when MK11 was launched, the top ones we know from MKX just carry on their saga: Sonic fox, ninjakilla, foxy, semij, dragon....all the same faces from MKx, they just were transfered to MK11.The first year of mk9 the scene was not organized as it is today....MK9 was the first MK at evo....sonic fox wasnt even a thing back then.

So, you believe that a bad game, competitively wise (either because is broken or random, whatever), cant hold top 5 6 ....8s consistently? Is that true?
Before we talk about MK11, I think we have to address this, because if you dont believe consistent players cant stay at top 8 in broken games....we are stuck here haha.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
You are analizing "the first year". You have to understand the context where MK9, Marvel and even MKX were in tournaments.
The competitive scene was not like nowadays, and when MK11 was launched, the top ones we know from MKX just carry on their saga: Sonic fox, ninjakilla, foxy, semij, dragon....all the same faces from MKx, they just were transfered to MK11.The first year of mk9 the scene was not organized as it is today....MK9 was the first MK at evo....sonic fox wasnt even a thing back then.

So, you believe that a bad game, competitively wise (either because is broken or random, whatever), cant hold top 5 6 ....8s consistently? Is that true?
Before we talk about MK11, I think we have to address this, because if you dont believe consistent players cant stay at top 8 in broken games....we are stuck here haha.
You can compare to any of the most recent games, including MKX. The first MKX major, for example, was won by Wonder Chef and people like Corn|Footwurk and Justin Wong were placing. EVO that year had Milky Situation and Zyphox. It's not just the old-era games.

You can compare to any of the most recent games, including MKX. The first MKX major, for example, was won by Wonder Chef and people like Corn|Footwurk were placing. It's not just the old-era games.
Ok that is fine. But this is the question: So, you believe that a bad game, competitively wise (either because is broken or random, whatever), cant hold top 5 6 ....8s consistently? Is that true?

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Ok that is fine. But this is the question: So, you believe that a bad game, competitively wise (either because is broken or random, whatever), cant hold top 5 6 ....8s consistently? Is that true?
I'm trying to stress that there's a pretty big difference between 'broken' which is usually a character balance thing, and 'random' which is an overall meta thing. Like, a game being broken (having busted characters) does not make it random, and vice versa.

And in my opinion, MK11 is neither.

I'm trying to stress that there's a pretty big difference between 'broken' which is usually a character balance thing, and 'random' which is an overall meta thing. Like, a game being broken (having busted characters) does not make it random, and vice versa.

And in my opinion, MK11 is neither.
Yeah but man, honestly, as long as you avoid answering the questions that I ask, its going to be complicated to conclude something. You did not answer the question.
There is no problem saying "I dont know"....I dont pay your bills.
Im asking questions because I have my conclusions, but give you and straight answer I think is not the best way to address this.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Yeah but man, honestly, as long as you avoid answering the questions that I ask, its going to be complicated to conclude something. You did not answer the question.
There is no problem saying "I dont know"....I dont pay your bills.
Im asking questions because I have my conclusions, but give you and straight answer I think is not the best way to address this.
I thought I addressed this already, twice. A game which is 'broken' can still have pretty consistent placements because broken is not the same as 'random'.

But you'd be hard-pressed to find any game with placements as consistent as MK11 from day one. Including every one of our previous games.

I thought I addressed this already, twice. A game which is 'broken' can still have pretty consistent placements because broken is not the same as 'random'.

But you'd be hard-pressed to find any game with placements as consistent as MK11 from day one. Including every one of our previous games.
A ok....good. So, why do you think....that sonic fox, NK and so on....why they are always at top 8 at the games they play? Why that?Forget randomness....for the sake of the argument we can use "broken" games.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
A ok....good. So, why do you think....that sonic fox, NK and so on....why they are always at top 8 at the games they play? Why that?Forget randomness....for the sake of the argument we can use "broken" games.
If a game is “random”, it usually means the gameplay lends itself to not having a large skill gap. So in games that are deemed “random”, you can see inconsistent placings. But that doesn’t mean you WILL see inconsistent placings. Just because a game is random that doesn’t automatically mean the placings will be, they are just more likely to be.

A game being “broken”, or at least believed to be broken, really doesn’t factor into consistent placings. You can be playing the most broken game of all time and still have consistent top 8’s.

The only thing that really matters is whether there’s a skill gap or not, and how large that gap is. In older MK games like UMK3, the skill gap is massive. It’s also not a coincidence that the game is one of the least “random” games I’ve played. In my experience, there’s always a correlation to how random a game is and how big the skill gap is. The more random a game is, the smaller the skill gap is.

Chernyy Volk

Wolf lord, footsie bully, chronic corner abuser.
If a game is “random”, it usually means the gameplay lends itself to not having a large skill gap. So in games that are deemed “random”, you can see inconsistent placings. But that doesn’t mean you WILL see inconsistent placings. Just because a game is random that doesn’t automatically mean the placings will be, they are just more likely to be.

A game being “broken”, or at least believed to be broken, really doesn’t factor into consistent placings. You can be playing the most broken game of all time and still have consistent top 8’s.

The only thing that really matters is whether there’s a skill gap or not, and how large that gap is. In older MK games like UMK3, the skill gap is massive. It’s also not a coincidence that the game is one of the least “random” games I’ve played. In my experience, there’s always a correlation to how random a game is and how big the skill gap is. The more random a game is, the smaller the skill gap is.
I think this is MK11 personified. As PaulB says, the game is all about how to mitigate that randomness best instead of you and your opponent playing around a limited set of outcomes facilitated by game knowledge etc. The top tiers are top tier BECAUSE what they do is effectively mitigate that randomness, they play a normal fighting game whereas anyone below the top 7 has definitive struggles with controlling opponents.

Borics

Banned
@Tom Brady needs to stop opening his mouth about sh!t he knows nothing about. This guy made a career from spreading misinformation/disinformation, openly lying, trashing people’s skills and knowing all this information about the game but this guy can’t even consistently place top 10, go home Tom, you’re drunk.

The last time I heard about Tom, I saw a twitch clip of him yelling because a baby couldn’t stop crying. You could hear the baby crying in the background and him screaming “YOU SEE THE SH!T I HAVE TO DEAL WITH???”, also because people were trolling him in the chat but still, the entire fiasco was embarrassing, not only for him but the MK community too. He sounded like a mad-drunk Ray Romano or something, it was an embarrassment and set this community back at least 3 mos.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Aight Crimson I gotta call a technical on this one because MVC2 placements were so consistent after awhile people were more hype about who would make fourth than Top 3 usually.
We’re talking about the entire Top 8 through the first year of the game, though, basically starting from major uno.

Not the Top 3-4 after the game has been out for years and things have settled.

i agree with tom with this i hate to say it im not saying mk11 is worst game of the series it heading there i still had little faith of nrs and boon stop joking around fix the game stop dissing fans who put money in your pocket to keep this series alive past 20 plus years when street fighter was getting bigger fan-base also other fighters did super well last long. people still need to know mortal kombat was not respected in fgc same goes with skull-girls virtual fighter killer instinct maybe tekken. when evo was around 90s everyone was trashing mortal kombat calling it just gore fest not good game taken seriously a joke only casual fans kept the game alive when boon nrs sold out to esports after mk9 had good 4 year run. the series was dying down again mkx was not great it was meh people hope 11 will take mk9 roots but do it better it did not i bet money when 12 comes do not be shock how they gonna do it piss people off again

Borics

Banned
i agree with tom with this i hate to say it im not saying mk11 is worst game of the series it heading there i still had little faith of nrs and boon stop joking around fix the game stop dissing fans who put money in your pocket to keep this series alive past 20 plus years when street fighter was getting bigger fan-base also other fighters did super well last long. people still need to know mortal kombat was not respected in fgc same goes with skull-girls virtual fighter killer instinct maybe tekken. when evo was around 90s everyone was trashing mortal kombat calling it just gore fest not good game taken seriously a joke only casual fans kept the game alive when boon nrs sold out to esports after mk9 had good 4 year run. the series was dying down again mkx was not great it was meh people hope 11 will take mk9 roots but do it better it did not i bet money when 12 comes do not be shock how they gonna do it piss people off again
@Tom Brady literally has no clue what he’s talking about. He lied about numbers and this isn’t the first time (or last) that he’ll get caught up in a lie. It’s in his DNA, he’s a habitual liar and has lost any respect from me and most players in the FGC. I mean, this guy is even considered a joke in the Skullgirls community because he thinks he knows what he’s talking about. Tom is like that janitor who has no HS diploma but will sit there and tell a Software Engineer how to program correctly, it’s asinine and borderline lunacy. I think he honestly does this for views knowing people are going to be like “wtf is this moron talking about?”

I don’t care about MK11 but everything he said is just a bold-face lie. I can sit here and plead with Boon to bring the series back to how the klassics were but like a lot of people mentioned, those games would never be as popular as these new MK games because the reality is, people, especially casuals, really love these new titles.

MK not being at Evo has nothing to do with Tom said, it’s about money, plain and simple and MK11 and the tournaments are doing just fine and the numbers prove it. It’s about monetizing content and Evo cannot monetize that content. Boon will have his own tournament so he can make more Shekels, it’s that simple. You can’t pay the creator if you can’t monetize their content, it’s seriously that simple. Tom is just blowing smoke up everyone’s behind because he has a superiority complex and can’t manage his disorder.

I’ve never met a guy in my entire life that walked around with a button-up plaid shirt tucked into Dad jeans, a pair of Sex Offender 7’s and a damn leather-jacket with tassels on the arms until I saw Tom walking around during the MK9/MKX era on streams. I mean, this is someone who probably sees Jesus Christ when he stares into the mirror or something, it’s sick, it’s mentally sick.

Borics

Banned
I don’t think Boon is a saint either btw, I just think Brady is a pathological liar who needs to just stick to getting better at the game.

Trust me, those Suit-lizards that work for WB, run these tournaments and dictate everything that happens within the community are vile in their own way too. They’re sick and like I mentioned in my previous post, these people are only motivated by money, sexual kinks and drugs, that’s it. They don’t care about integrity and how could you be surprised? These people are Godless, they believe in an infinite Universe where there’s no such thing as fate. Just a spinning ball in an ocean of infinity, pure Nihilism. They’re Materialists who just want our money and to drain our Lifeforce too. I’m sure these pricks got real hard when they saw this News break.

I don’t think Boon is a saint either btw, I just think Brady is a pathological liar who needs to just stick to getting better at the game.

Trust me, those Suit-lizards that work for WB, run these tournaments and dictate everything that happens within the community are vile in their own way too. They’re sick and like I mentioned in my previous post, these people are only motivated by money, sexual kinks and drugs, that’s it. They don’t care about integrity and how could you be surprised? These people are Godless, they believe in an infinite Universe where there’s no such thing as fate. Just a spinning ball in an ocean of infinity, pure Nihilism. They’re Materialists who just want our money and to drain our Lifeforce too. I’m sure these pricks got real hard when they saw this News break.
The same thing with Paul B here: People are not 0, man. He may have problems of course, but he understands better than you and me what a fighting game is. He spent a big chunk of his life trying to understand fg and competing.

Borics

Banned
The same thing with Paul B here: People are not 0, man. He may have problems of course, but he understands better than you and me what a fighting game is. He spent a big chunk of his life trying to understand fg and competing.
Speak for yourself Buster. While I appreciate the response and you trying to offer a different insight, I have to say that nothing you said resonated with me.

Just because @Tom Brady has competed in Fighting Games since the 90’s doesn’t automatically mean he knows more about Fighting Games and competing. This is just wrong, plain and simple and I don’t mean to keep beating a dead horse here, but this is the problem with people. You rely on others like Brady who act as if they speak for an entire community because of certain credentials, this is a false reality, My friend. It’s false because Brady literally has no clue what he’s talking about and the majority of people can all agree with me and are disputing Brady’s idiocy and deceit. He’s one of the biggest liars in the FGC next to DSP, it’s actually insane to me that Brady has any support left but I won’t lie, he’s a great entertainer. He’s a good looking guy, he’s confident, he has nice hair, his family is loaded with cash and he has experience and that’s how he’s able to sell his deceit to people who are ignorant, no offense.

Also, I’ve been very involved with eSports for over 20 years, Guy. You probably haven’t read my posts on here but you can look at my profile and see my own credentials. I’ve been part of eSports for years and watch it grow into the global phenomenon its become today. eSports is literally my life aside from my family, Halo 3 is my favorite game of all time and until Brady can tell me he went to a LAN party to compete in Halo 3 in the South-side of Chicago with gangbangers all around you, then I don’t care to hear about his “experience.”

Has Brady stuck out like a sore thumb before? The only white guy sitting shoulder to shoulder with gangsters in Chicago knowing damn well at any point someone could pull out a gun just because they saw the wrong person in their hood? Of course not and I went because eSports is literally in my blood, I live, eat and sleep it, Guy. I knew my life was in potential danger too but it didn’t matter because it was a sanctioned event and I have so much integrity. It’s that simple.

It’s my life.

And nobody yet answered why the top 5, 6 ..8...in broken games is consistent. I'm going to say what I think: The fellas at the top are consistent, not the game.
It has to do with IQ, talent, age, fast reactions (ninjakilla is way above average here), and when you pick a person like this plus effort, then....you cant stop the guy.

is the IQ curve, that mountain below. You have people at the extreme left that are way below average, the mass in the middle (which I am part of) which is the majority of people, and the extreme right (the most talented ones).
And what these guys do when a broken or a shitty game comes? They learn the shit and use the shit in their favor. Look at what sonic fox does, is exactly that. He picks the character based ow his cheapness, not what he likes. Ninja killa did the same with Johhny, because Liu kangs bullshit is not enough anymore to win.
That is talent plus effort plus accepting the bullshit and using it for the money.

That is why the argument "uow we have consistent players ate the top 8, so I conclude that the game is fair" is such a nonsense, because at the end of the day you are analizing the way above average players, not the game.
Give SF and NinjaKilla a char like....shang tsung or scorpion....they are not going to win the tournament. They know that.

Evaluating the game is one thing, evaluating the players is another thing. That is why below top 8, the game is a fest. When people complain about the game and the skillgap is like: Two IQ average players fight, but one knows what he is doing and the other dont. The game gives such a huge amount of tools for the more random and not experienced and epileptic guy to comeback, to win.....that is astonishing.
You have to look at the game and its mechanics, not consistent top 8s including sonicfox on it. He is way better than you and me.

Attachments

Last edited:
Speak for yourself Buster. While I appreciate the response and you trying to offer a different insight, I have to say that nothing you said resonated with me.

Just because @Tom Brady has competed in Fighting Games since the 90’s doesn’t automatically mean he knows more about Fighting Games and competing. This is just wrong, plain and simple and I don’t mean to keep beating a dead horse here, but this is the problem with people. You rely on others like Brady who act as if they speak for an entire community because of certain credentials, this is a false reality, My friend. It’s false because Brady literally has no clue what he’s talking about and the majority of people can all agree with me and are disputing Brady’s idiocy and deceit. He’s one of the biggest liars in the FGC next to DSP, it’s actually insane to me that Brady has any support left but I won’t lie, he’s a great entertainer. He’s a good looking guy, he’s confident, he has nice hair, his family is loaded with cash and he has experience and that’s how he’s able to sell his deceit to people who are ignorant, no offense.

Also, I’ve been very involved with eSports for over 20 years, Guy. You probably haven’t read my posts on here but you can look at my profile and see my own credentials. I’ve been part of eSports for years and watch it grow into the global phenomenon its become today. eSports is literally my life aside from my family, Halo 3 is my favorite game of all time and until Brady can tell me he went to a LAN party to compete in Halo 3 in the South-side of Chicago with gangbangers all around you, then I don’t care to hear about his “experience.”

Has Brady stuck out like a sore thumb before? The only white guy sitting shoulder to shoulder with gangsters in Chicago knowing damn well at any point someone could pull out a gun just because they saw the wrong person in their hood? Of course not and I went because eSports is literally in my blood, I live, eat and sleep it, Guy. I knew my life was in potential danger too but it didn’t matter because it was a sanctioned event and I have so much integrity. It’s that simple.

It’s my life.
Uow...ok.

You really hate him dont you...