What's new

The Truth About MLG

Mortal Komhat

Worst Well-Established Goro Player Ever
Honestly it just sounds like everything that could go wrong did and it put everyone including the staff on edge. I dont think we should burn the MLG bridge because of one bad tournament, but rather come together with the MLG promoters and try and figure out how to stop this from happening again.
Here's an easy one. Bring in a successful TO. Listen to whatever the fuck they say and do that. That's pretty much what they did for MK9.

I don't see it as us burning the bridge with MLG. MLG set fire to that fucker a long time ago. We're just watching the flames now.

REYTHEGREAT

I don't know why the FGC still support MLG.

"I would say fighting games are the one I would point to where they would prefer nobody watches," Sepso said. "We're way too big for the fighting game community. They don't want to touch us at all. We're like big, commercial, and ugly, and they don't want us screwing up their good thing."

Read the interview with the main man of mlg, the president Mike sepso.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-02-24-cracking-the-code-on-eSports

Mst

Noob
Not sure if it was posted already but here is a post from SolidJake how works for MLG about Day1 from the Smash subreddit.

nvm was posted already

Im kinda surprised they didnt had anyone from the Community help them out at the event, the few first times they had LoL, DotA2 and SC2 they had ppl from the Community helping them out run everything.

BRUTALITY

Banned
if this happened at evo, imagine the fallout and consequences. now apply that to MLG, but then remember that MLG is the "gold standard of eSports". MLG deserve MAJOR blowups and some people are saying "Oh we need MLG stop hating." Why do we need MLG? What do they provide that our grassroots circuit doesnt? Nothing! A 10 hour shitty stream.

Yes MLG was decent and hype for MK in 2012 but what did it actually do for our scene? Was there a sudden influx of people running to sign up to the next tournament MK was at? No the game just died a year later.

If the purpose of MLG is to support our scene somehow, I can not see how MLG IGAU 2014 has done anything other than make our scene and game look stupid, I suspect precisely 0 people who were not interested before MLG have been converted.

I only really see MLG as a sure bet of quality display of skill from competitors who will travel to play. Its great footage and good competition. Other than this I do not see how MLG supports our community other than making a few top players richer. Good for them though.

Mst

Noob
if this happened at evo, imagine the fallout and consequences. now apply that to MLG, but then remember that MLG is the "gold standard of eSports". MLG deserve MAJOR blowups and some people are saying "Oh we need MLG stop hating." Why do we need MLG? What do they provide that our grassroots circuit doesnt? Nothing! A 10 hour shitty stream.

Yes MLG was decent and hype for MK in 2012 but what did it actually do for our scene? Was there a sudden influx of people running to sign up to the next tournament MK was at? No the game just died a year later.

If the purpose of MLG is to support our scene somehow, I can not see how MLG IGAU 2014 has done anything other than make our scene and game look stupid, I suspect precisely 0 people who were not interested before MLG have been converted.

I only really see MLG as a sure bet of quality display of skill from competitors who will travel to play. Its great footage and good competition. Other than this I do not see how MLG supports our community other than making a few top players richer. Good for them though.
MLG ist not the gold standard of esports look through the SC2 reddit for the last year they fucked up alot of times good example would be them runnig the qualifier for the NA SC2 Series. MLG sc2 offline events got better overtime. But the first few werent that bad because they had ppl with experience to help them out.

It would also help if they would pick up a game from the start and not one year later.

I still hope that some big Tournaments like MLG and Dreamhack pick up MKX early and get help of some FGC TOs.

The MLG Stream Player was always bad which was one of the reason that they used Twitch for some of there events.

Last edited:

RelentlessOhio

Divekick x 1000
Well they should have been smart enough to ask a couple veteran fighting game TO's to help setup the format and brackets. Why they had to control every aspect of it, dick moves.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I don't know why the FGC still support MLG.

"I would say fighting games are the one I would point to where they would prefer nobody watches," Sepso said. "We're way too big for the fighting game community. They don't want to touch us at all. We're like big, commercial, and ugly, and they don't want us screwing up their good thing."

Read the interview with the main man of mlg, the president Mike sepso.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-02-24-cracking-the-code-on-eSports
To be 100% honest, though...he actually is right lol. I see way too much anti-MLG within the FGC.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
did you see any pro-FGC at MLG? no.
No, which does perpetuate the hate even more. But, even without that, the FGC already isn't a fan of the corporate style of entertainment MLG goes for, because it means professionalism becomes mandatory, and thus there's a massive belief that this would "kill what makes the FGC the FGC" expressed within the community.

Thing is, aside from the level of professionalism in commentary and general production, EVERYTHING else FGC remained intact when MK9 was at MLG.

RelentlessOhio

Divekick x 1000
I mean yeah it could have been just a fluke, but what a damn aggravating fluke. It was to the point where I'm sure the stress was physically affecting some people.

MLG Solid Jake said:
As I am sure you are aware, our open bracket started insanely late. The reason it started so late is because our bracket software more or less broke around 2PM yesterday and we had to literally re-code the thing from scratch. We have our own software that we use to report matches, auto populate upcoming matches online and the info booth screens, and track / calculate seeding based on pro points. It is 100% our fault that it broke, but that is the only reason things started so late. As much as I wish we could have just used challenge, we our entire database and event is based around this software so it was a very crappy situation.

If that wasn’t enough we had the fire alarm pulled twice, the swat team showed up due to a bomb threat, and we had to re-run fiber cables in the venue due to internet issues. It was a freaking disaster. This morning many players were disqualified from their round 1 match, and we retracted that. This is literally the first time MLG has EVER retracted DQ’s. I know we started late Friday and it’s hard to trust our TO staff to be on time after yesterday, but we are definitely behind on schedule so we need to make up ground from here. Sorry for the DQ’s but we truly have to , and plan to run a flawless event from here on out.
Just to confirm what Cal-EL, 16-Bit and Pig have been saying. So there was indeed 2 fire alarms ON TOP of a legit bomb threat and internet issues lol.

Their crappy bracket software explains the delays of all FG tournaments (still baffles me that they decided to RECODE IT FROM SCRATCH instead of using pen and paper or whatever). But almost every other issue people had was directly related to the second paragraph. A real clusterfuck that unfortunately was out of MLG's control and couldn't really have been prevented. I mean how are you supposed to prevent a bomb threat or fire alarms going off twice...

Then you had other fuckups like some important matches being played off stream and no sound for KI. (the KI sound problem was fixed thanks to Valle)

Last edited:
Well next time they host a FG maybe they'll know to contact a couple TO's with experience.
I doubt even the most experienced TOs combined together could have made this a good tournament. At best, the tournament would've started on time or with less delay. But fire alarms, bomb threats and internet issues would've still happened even if it was NRS pro league or whoever.

I know it's the cool thing to hate on MLG but it's not necessarily MLG that is shitting on FGC on purpose here. All those conspiracy theories make no sense whatsoever.

If anything, some clowns pulled the fire alarm and screamed they would blow up the place if the tournament didn't start soon. Squad shows up and then you're complaining that MLG is restricting your liberties...

Of course this statement from MLG only explains why day 1 was a disaster. But according to UltraDavid, Rip and others in place, day 2 and day 3 weren't all that much better so yeah MLG is still at fault at the end of the day and they need to step it up. Their reputation and credibility certainly has taken a huge hit.

Last edited:
The only thing I wish would've happened is that MLG release a statement about it. As far as the interview posted he's not wrong with what he said.

It was awful.

The layout of the tiny Injustice/KI section was bad to start with, the software issue was wtf and they didn't even tell us that was the reason for the giant delay, the bracket was run poorly and slowly even after that was fixed, the security was overzealous, the seating arrangements were bad, the scheduling was bad, there were no headphones for the Injustice/KI section, there was no interest in putting matches on stream, there was no knowledge about which matches should be on stream, the streaming station was poorly built and poorly located, the big screens when we finally got to the stage had visible audio desynch and speakers weirdly placed or so quiet that it was hard to hear the commentators, the hotels nearby were expensive to stay at and park at...

I feel like I'm missing something but that's a good start I suppose. The idea that they'd rely so fully on breakable software for so much is kind of wtf to me. I even asked a guy who was running things if I could just take out a piece of paper, write down the bracket, and pound out the rest of the tourney up till top 8 in like 2 hours, and he said "We have our way that we do it, and that's how we're gonna do it."

On the plus side, the makeup and catered food for the staff were both nice. They put eye stuff and lipstick on me and then I ate food and then they were there to retouch my lipstick after. Yay! And to MLG Adam's credit, when I managed to track his number down and get him on the phone, he was very responsive to all the bs going on and came through just a few minutes later to get security to let people back in and talk to at least me and people near me about why things had gone so badly. That was very nice. But even when things were running more smoothly Saturday and Sunday, they were still running poorly.

It was awful.

The layout of the tiny Injustice/KI section was bad to start with, the software issue was wtf and they didn't even tell us that was the reason for the giant delay, the bracket was run poorly and slowly even after that was fixed, the security was overzealous, the seating arrangements were bad, the scheduling was bad, there were no headphones for the Injustice/KI section, there was no interest in putting matches on stream, there was no knowledge about which matches should be on stream, the streaming station was poorly built and poorly located, the big screens when we finally got to the stage had visible audio desynch and speakers weirdly placed or so quiet that it was hard to hear the commentators, the hotels nearby were expensive to stay at and park at...

I feel like I'm missing something but that's a good start I suppose. The idea that they'd rely so fully on breakable software for so much is kind of wtf to me. I even asked a guy who was running things if I could just take out a piece of paper, write down the bracket, and pound out the rest of the tourney up till top 8 in like 2 hours, and he said "We have our way that we do it, and that's how we're gonna do it."

On the plus side, the makeup and catered food for the staff were both nice. They put eye stuff and lipstick on me and then I ate food and then they were there to retouch my lipstick after. Yay! And to MLG Adam's credit, when I managed to track his number down and get him on the phone, he was very responsive to all the bs going on and came through just a few minutes later to get security to let people back in and talk to at least me and people near me about why things had gone so badly. That was very nice. But even when things were running more smoothly Saturday and Sunday, they were still running poorly.
Before the event you stated they seem to have a genuine interest in the community, who was that person that you talked you? Maybe he/she should come talk. Lol.

It was awful.

Damn it was that bad huh.. That sounds a lot worse than I thought. I was giving them the benefit of doubt, thinking all this could have been just unfortunate out of control incidents but it sounds like they just really didn't know what they were doing this time. Or just didn't care at all.

Which I find odd because like Rip has said, past MLGs were amazing and very professional for Tekken and MK9 so it's not like they absolutely hate the FGC. I just don't understand how it could go from one of the best tournament experience to the absolute worst.

Last edited: