What's new

The Truth About MLG

RelentlessOhio

Divekick x 1000
It's just been a 12 hour whirlwind of mayhem, trash talk, and let downs. You can literally feel the salt in the air. Not even Broken Tier could come up with a shirt that describes it.

This one day alone did some serious damage. But, nothing to do but be optimistic about day 2 and the top 32 matches. Can't really get any worse than it has.

I$AAC

Noob
This upsets me in two ways. First, the treatment (or lack thereof) of the players. Second, it's the fact that some players chose to go to this instead of CEO (which is next week)

RelentlessOhio

Divekick x 1000
Well in hindsight I'm sure literally everyone would pick CEO knowing what we know now. But MLG is supposed to be a very professional and popular tournament, with "high" standards (using that word loosely). However, not many people expected the entry numbers to be so low. I think 75 players total entered, the expectation was much higher than that. The brackets held 96, so some people got byes first round. Already a let down from the start. No one's fault of course.

No one expected this shit storm of a tournament at all. Most of the time the tournaments go off without a hitch and are genuinely fun to play in and/or watch. This time everything that could go wrong did. Now we know to never set foot near that hell hole again after this, short of a massive apology, refunds, and a swift kick in their asses.

I don't have any tournament experience in fighting games yet, but I have been in a couple eSports Counter-Strike tournaments and spectated a few majors. It's bad news bears all around if you're looking for a fun, enjoyable experience. It's stressful, even when things do go right. A lot of times they come up with these ridiculous rules and stipulations that local casual tourneys and majors wouldn't even think to impose. They feel this need to control every single aspect of their tournaments.

Like judges for Injustice? The fuck? We have done many majors over the past year without a need for "judges". What is this a bikini contest? We know how to run shit, big brother doesn't need to hold our hand to cross the street, we can do it ourselves thanks.

They won't make any kind of formal public apology to the FGC. If they do I'll be thoroughly shocked. As long as the cash cows like CoD and SC2 keep on bringing the money in, we are a freak side show that everyone stares at oddly.

I just hope at least a decent number of top players have the funds/time to make it to CEO next weekend. If not, I'll be extremely sad. But, it's not like we all make a living doing this and have hundreds to blow on plane tickets and hotel rooms.

Basically, we got fucked for no reason at all. And it might screw us over for CEO and possibly EVO. Fuck you MLG, even if day 2 runs like a swiss watch. You blew it.

/end rant.

Last edited:

RelentlessOhio

Divekick x 1000
Shoutouts to all the mlg staff who couldn't remember the code for stage traditions so they just Pizza Hut the viewers.
I might have to disable AdBlock for like an hour tomorrow just to see the subtle ads telling me to order pizza.

Did they just call up every pizza chain and say "Hey, our viewers will buy your pizza if we show it over and over, give us money".

Seems like some kind of cruel form of mental torture.

RM_NINfan101

Nine Inch Nails fan from Metro Detroit, Michigan
This might be the first time I feel bad for everyone in the community, usually I am a west coast can kiss my ass kinda guy but today, shit MLG may have just 9/11'd our community, we might come together after this. If they announce it for MLG Raleigh again i am going to do everything in my power to influence every major player I can to not attend. The Fall Classic will be the FAR smarter choice, there is a clear consequence for money and does our full humiliation and lack of tournament standard have to the cost of it? Fuck this shit and fuck esports, Im loving going to my 16-20 man regionals, and my 60 man majors, they are the best fucking time of my life.
QFT

As much as this sucks (I wouldn't say 9/11 bad lol but it's rough), it seems at least everyone is trying to keep their shit together and perhaps maybe something positive can come out of this for the betterment of everyone involved. I know for sure I will never attend a MLG event after this unless things drastically change, and I like to think we as a community are starting to come to a head about specific discussions that I think should of been talked about for awhile. If there's anything this event did do, it's at least given me hope that things can get better moving forward. It really doesn't get much lower than this I feel, despite what I heard about MK9 tournaments at certain venues in the past.

RelentlessOhio

Divekick x 1000
I know between MK9 and IGAU I've watched on stream at least 30+ majors, and this by far just takes the cake for the worst one ever. At least so far. I've seen some that are less than stellar looking, but none that made the collective FGC want to slit their wrists due to the amount of salt, and lack of respect.

I am to blame for this. I convinced @n-megabytes to make the journey out to the U.S. for MLG and EVO. Going off my experience at MLG Dallas 2012, I was 100% confident that he'd have a blast at Anaheim.

It seems I misinformed him and he paid an unfair price for it. Had I known that anything like this was going to happen, I wouldn't have encouraged him to go to this event. I can't even begin to comprehend how he must feel right now. :(

Megabytes, if you're reading this thread, I must express a public apology to you. I know you worked a godlike amount of overtime in Australia just so you could make the journey and the last thing I wanted was for all that to go to waste. I feel guilty for this, and rightly so.
No one could have known that something this horrendous would happen! Don't blame yourself my friend cause you as well as everyone else expected this tournament to be perfect!

Ofcourse being jet lagged and barely having any food or sleep and waiting 11 hours before I got my first game wasn't fun affected my focus and reactions. And what made it worse was that we weren't even able to get casual games in.

But 99% of the community was extremely friendly and welcoming and having the chance to actually meet everyone finally made it all worth it!

I'm gonna be in the states for a month so im sure I'll have the best time seeing the country and meeting the community so I honestly am glad that you convinced me to come and take that extra week off of work to rest!

trustinme

xbl-OBS trustinme
I might have to disable AdBlock for like an hour tomorrow just to see the subtle ads telling me to order pizza.

Did they just call up every pizza chain and say "Hey, our viewers will buy your pizza if we show it over and over, give us money".

Seems like some kind of cruel form of mental torture.
staring at that ad reminded me of fry from futurama staring at the fucking hypno toad all day.i gave up 3 hours in.

RM_NINfan101

Nine Inch Nails fan from Metro Detroit, Michigan
No one could have known that something this horrendous would happen! Don't blame yourself my friend cause you as well as everyone else expected this tournament to be perfect!

Ofcourse being jet lagged and barely having any food or sleep and waiting 11 hours before I got my first game wasn't fun affected my focus and reactions. And what made it worse was that we weren't even able to get casual games in.

But 99% of the community was extremely friendly and welcoming and having the chance to actually meet everyone finally made it all worth it!

I'm gonna be in the states for a month so im sure I'll have the best time seeing the country and meeting the community so I honestly am glad that you convinced me to come and take that extra week off of work to rest!
I am glad to see you are at least enjoying yourself here and having a decent time meeting the Kombatants and being in America. I'm sure it at least takes some of the sting off Blake's shoulders. Blake has been a good guy from what I've gathered when I spoke to him, i'm sure he always wants what's best for everyone.

RelentlessOhio

Divekick x 1000

Of course being jet lagged and barely having any food or sleep and waiting 11 hours before I got my first game wasn't fun affected my focus and reactions. And what made it worse was that we weren't even able to get casual games in.

Glad you have a good attitude about all this. Don't judge it on this major alone. The vast majority of them are enjoyable and run without any mishaps. These guys just didn't have their shit together, at all. At least for our tournament. I don't know what their issue was, but it can't be changed. Now we know. Added to the shit list.

RelentlessOhio

Divekick x 1000
Well MK9 wasn't fantastic when they hosted it, but it was miles ahead of this fiasco. I mean really, it's like some mastermind behind MLG plotted a scheme to smear the FGC image, like we don't get that enough as is. Throw us a God damn bone every now and then.

EndofGameBoss

That's about right.
The stream for MLG is always "blah." They've always shown 1 or 2 matches and then went to a 15 minute commercial lol. What is different, is how poorly ran the actual event is in person. While it usually sucks for stream monsters, it's usually ran well in person. MLG seemed really unprepared this go around.

Last edited:

RelentlessOhio

Divekick x 1000
The only good thing I can say is the stream quality was excellent compared to other majors I've watched. Even if I only watched 45- 1 hour of matches total.

And yeah I know streams have issues a lot more than actually being there live. But it was the opposite this time. It was like they started getting everything together 20 minutes beforehand. Like everyone forgot to set an alarm or some shit.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!

Well, that is a relief to know.

But when you make it over here to Atlanta, I plan to do all in my power to make it up to you for the raw deal you got at Anaheim. This I swear to you.

Eh SnOwY

PC FGC
I am to blame for this. I convinced @n-megabytes to make the journey out to the U.S. for MLG and EVO. Going off my experience at MLG Dallas 2012, I was 100% confident that he'd have a blast at Anaheim.

It seems I misinformed him and he paid an unfair price for it. Had I known that anything like this was going to happen, I wouldn't have encouraged him to go to this event. I can't even begin to comprehend how he must feel right now. :(

Megabytes, if you're reading this thread, I must express a public apology to you. I know you worked a godlike amount of overtime in Australia just so you could make the journey and the last thing I wanted was for all that to go to waste. I feel guilty for this, and rightly so.

No one expected this shit storm of a tournament at all. Most of the time the tournaments go off without a hitch and are genuinely fun to play in and/or watch. This time everything that could go wrong did. Now we know to never set foot near that hell hole again after this, short of a massive apology, refunds, and a swift kick in their asses.

They won't make any kind of formal public apology to the FGC. If they do I'll be thoroughly shocked. As long as the cash cows like CoD and SC2 keep on bringing the money in, we are a freak side show that everyone stares at oddly.

I feel for you guys and you guys definitely deserve an apology but I suggest instead of stewing in your pots tweet the CEO Adam
https://twitter.com/MrAdamAp

He is very responsive to criticisms and concerns when spoken to directly. If you have problems don't bitch to each other just talk to him.

Secondly you guys don't watch MLG regularly and all I'll say is that MLG is the most professional league in the United States when they are on point. That said they do handle high pressure situations poorly. It wasn't just you over the years. Everyone has gotten shit on at least once.

RelentlessOhio

Divekick x 1000
I feel for you guys and you guys definitely deserve an apology but I suggest instead of stewing in your pots tweet the CEO Adam
https://twitter.com/MrAdamAp

He is very responsive to criticisms and concerns when spoken to directly. If you have problems don't bitch to each other just talk to him.

Secondly you guys don't watch MLG regularly and all I'll say is that MLG is the most professional league in the United States when they are on point. That said they do handle high pressure situations poorly. It wasn't just you over the years. Everyone has gotten shit on at least once.
That makes me feel just oh so better. I'll gladly fly and pay to see any other major that has it's roots in the FGC. Not just one that hosts a KI/IGAU tournament maybe once a year as a side show. We get it, we aren't the popular genre. We are already the black sheep of the gaming world, don't need anymore flack than already given.

I've followed MLG for years, before I got into fighting games, all I played was FPS's and MOBA's. Some questionable shit over the years.

But I digress. Thank God CEO and EVO are almost here.

Roachthroat

I WILL SHOW YOU WAR - Black Adam

It sucks he spent all that money for a shitty event but at least he's Australian and in America, that means he's probably the only guy at MLG who can talk to a girl about frame data and get laid. So @n-megabytes flex that accent and get some bitches. B)

Mortal Komhat

Worst Well-Established Goro Player Ever
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

If they can't handle high pressure situations they need to get the fuck out of event organization.

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
For as much as it sucks to watch this from home, I would be flipping shit if I was attending this tournament and this happened.

Sorry for everyone who has to deal with this.