What's new

The true reason stage interaction shouldn't be allowed in tournaments

Status
Not open for further replies.

RexyWrecks

RTSD All Day. I'm going in. No Vaseline.
Interactables are probably one of the worst additions to fighting games in recent years. Honestly, why can't we just play an honest match without background interaction?

@Evil_Riu48

well im sorry to say your entire point is moot because its no different that character X being better than character Y, one player will have an advantage over the other in most cases just based on character pick alone, and in this regard interactibles can actually balance out a match up, if Character X is better than character Y (lets say its 6-4), but character Y is better on Z map than character X, that can force the match up into 5-5 territory, in this case it actually makes match ups MORE balanced, it works both ways

In conclusion, once again, let em ride!

Dramatica

Forecast calls for missiles
If it is ever intended for competition, a fighting game should not feature unique attacks that are only available in specific locations on the plane or in space.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
Imo it may not technically be an absolute advantage. I'm not very familiar with the interactable options in MKX so everything I say can be false. They don't seem as powerful as in Injustice where there was a ton of really bad situations for characters that had to deal with interactables. In this game it seems as though it's just an option that one player can get but if the other player is wary of it it can work against them. For instance something like an armored EH spear will punish a reckless throw of blanch and etc. I know the topic isn't about the power of interactables compared to Injustice but it's hard not to bring up if the argument is that it gives the player with the option of an interactable an advantage or not.

I think it may be quite different in MKX considering all characters can use them the same way, they can be blocked, can most likely be baited, heavily punished and may not even be all that great. I have no idea though tbh. If it does give a clear random advantage to a certain player based on what stage was selected I do think that's kind of dumb. I wouldn't be upset if interactables were banned if that was the case.

FlareGun

ayy lmao
before you post about how we should wait to see how they play out or how they are not as powerful as in injustice. you should be aware that this thread was not made to disuss how broken or not interactables are and your post will be remove in order to keep this discussion on topic and free of distractions... finish reading this post so you can fully understand what the argument is about and your opinion will be more than welcome as long as it is not out of topic.

the true reason why we should talk about banning stage interaction has nothing to do with how broken or not they are. it is all about how they break the balance between player 1 and player 2 at the beginning of a fight. i think we can all agree that player 1 or player 2 having a advantage over the other one no matter how small this advantage is ...well is just not fair.
stage interactable in some stages gives a position advantage to player 1 or player 2 by placing an object more accessible or closer to player 1 or player 2...the problem is that stage interactions are not the same when you move to the left of the screen as when you move to the right of the screen in other words player 1 position in the stage at the beginning of a match doesn't mirror the position of player 2 at the beginning of the match creating a position advantage for one of the two players.

how this affect a fight? lets say you have a stage that has an object that can be grab and throw in mid air only at the right side of the screen just behind player 2 and the match is a mirror match between two heavy zoners which use projectiles to zone. this automatically places player 2 at an position advantage at the beginning of round one because he doesn't have to worry about player 1 countering his projectile with the object but player 1 has to worry about the object behind player 2 since he can use it to check his projectile attacks ... why should player 1 start the match at a disadvantage just because he is placed in the right side of the screen?

i personally think that stages should be neutral and they should not place a player in a position advantage but this is not the case when comes to interactables for our games because they do not place the players in a mirror position.

what do you guys think about this

discuss

@Pig Of The Hut @GGA 16 Bit @Tom Brady @MITDJT
I'm to lazy to read this but Blanche deserves to be in the tournaments she's fought so hard for this

For those saying just to bait the interactable, that doesn't negate the advantage. Every option has a way to counter it and having more options is beneficial. The person with the interactable has an additional option because of what side they started on. If interactables are left on, then the random stage rule definitely needs to be kept in place.

That being said, I'm not competing and the game isn't even out. It's up to those who are actually competing and are affected to make the decision.

Injustice intractable had a key role in character balancing, as a shazam, if I got a stage without power interactables (unless i was vs mmh or zod) I had a significantly smaller chance of evening the odds in bad matchups. If a char is too powerful in some interactables just nerf that specifically (usually because of mobility, shazam could decide where he wanted to be at the end of a combo for instance)

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
Lol at people arguing "wellllllllllll if we used them in injustice and all was fine duuuuuh les use again" they were broken as shit in injustice and just because they were allowed doesn't mean it is ok to allow them in mkx. I agree with op

Hitoshura

Head Cage
before you post about how we should wait to see how they play out or how they are not as powerful as in injustice. you should be aware that this thread was not made to disuss how broken or not interactables are and your post will be remove in order to keep this discussion on topic and free of distractions... finish reading this post so you can fully understand what the argument is about and your opinion will be more than welcome as long as it is not out of topic.

the true reason why we should talk about banning stage interaction has nothing to do with how broken or not they are. it is all about how they break the balance between player 1 and player 2 at the beginning of a fight. i think we can all agree that player 1 or player 2 having a advantage over the other one no matter how small this advantage is ...well is just not fair.
stage interactable in some stages gives a position advantage to player 1 or player 2 by placing an object more accessible or closer to player 1 or player 2...the problem is that stage interactions are not the same when you move to the left of the screen as when you move to the right of the screen in other words player 1 position in the stage at the beginning of a match doesn't mirror the position of player 2 at the beginning of the match creating a position advantage for one of the two players.

how this affect a fight? lets say you have a stage that has an object that can be grab and throw in mid air only at the right side of the screen just behind player 2 and the match is a mirror match between two heavy zoners which use projectiles to zone. this automatically places player 2 at an position advantage at the beginning of round one because he doesn't have to worry about player 1 countering his projectile with the object but player 1 has to worry about the object behind player 2 since he can use it to check his projectile attacks ... why should player 1 start the match at a disadvantage just because he is placed in the right side of the screen?

i personally think that stages should be neutral and they should not place a player in a position advantage but this is not the case when comes to interactables for our games because they do not place the players in a mirror position.

what do you guys think about this

discuss

@Pig Of The Hut @GGA 16 Bit @Tom Brady @MITDJT
THANK YOU!!!!

Get rid of them for competitive play.

The Farmer

Gunslinger since pre ptch -Shout out 2 Youphs 2015
What was the damage on hit? I think it was small something like 8 to 9 percent. Plus you can block as already stated a hundred times, YOU CAN BLOCK THEM.

Hitoshura

Head Cage
Except it's not & stages having an impact on match ups is common for player side in multiple fighting games. Please earn things about the genre you're in outside of the sphere of NRS.
Most fighting games don't have stage interactables. It still becomes a chasing game at the end of the day. Give a play an advantage depending on what side it's on. It's a gimmick that is fun, but shouldn't be allowed in the competitive scene for fighters. Sure, keep them in the game, because other people who aren't competitive can enjoy them. Hence why items can be turned off in smash. They should be turned off for MKX.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
I agree.

A counter-argument to the "you can bait it" is that not everyone has the ability to do that. If, let's say 2 projectile-less characters are mirror matching and one person has easy access to a throwable interactable, it's at the very least free check for chip right there, making the disadvantaged player start with potential smaller health.

While it may be a very small disavantage, it could also be the final deciding factor on who wins the match.

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
Most fighting games don't have stage interactables. It still becomes a chasing game at the end of the day. Give a play an advantage depending on what side it's on. It's a gimmick that is fun, but shouldn't be allowed in the competitive scene for fighters. Sure, keep them in the game, because other people who aren't competitive can enjoy them. Hence why items can be turned off in smash. They should be turned off for MKX.
It really feels like people on this site have only ever played MK. Plenty of fighting games have stage differences, where a person can get an "advantage" DOA, Tekken, SC, and VF. Some of you really need to diversify your portfolios.

To quote myself from the other thread:

"...honestly even if I was super afraid it would somehow break the game I'd vote let it ride. Let shit play out before you judge it. This overreaction to anything that's perceived to be bad almost always leads to stupid decisions, on both player and dev side. If it's really an issue we know the options there and can revisit it later."

Hitoshura

Head Cage
Interactables are a portion of the term "stage differences" Other fighters have smaller, or larger stages. Some have breakable walls, others have weird shaped stages that aren't even on both sides. Outside of Injustice and MKX/older 3D Mk games, I'm unaware of fighters that have items one can pick up from the background and use them on the opponent.

Perdition

Your friendly neighborhood cynic
Regardless of how against interactables anyone is, it does not matter. They will be in tourneys. You can kick, scream, and expose yourself for being intimidated by stage interaction...yet they will still be in tournaments. This argument is getting really old here, man.

Status
Not open for further replies.