What's new

Strategy The Subzero tech/strat video thread

CYracks

Command Grabber
I think we Sub Zero players should start using down+4 clone/down+3 clone it's very effective for getting in. I'm trying to do it more often , but old habits die hard.

ryublaze

Noob
I think we Sub Zero players should start using down+4 clone/down+3 clone it's very effective for getting in. I'm trying to do it more often , but old habits die hard.
D4+clone is the Denzell style while regular D4 is Brady's. I use both depending on my distance between me and my opponent. Max ranged d4 I usually cancel it into clone, close range I use regular d4.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
You're making some insulting comment that wasn't even based off my comment. I never mentioned anything about if anyone cares what I have to say or if I cared. I was stating an opinion and honestly one I think the guy needed to hear. He is a great player I'm sure but he can also come off as really condescending and a bit of an asshole. I suppose that's a requirement for STB. There you go bud. Reflect on that, let the reality of your immaturity dwell on you, shake it off and write another ignorant reply.
lets ask some of the community what they think of STB

Pig Of The Hut GGA 16 Bit

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
the one ... and only... downside to both of these clones.... is that you can jump them very easily.

Sgt Reed does this better than I do. I'm not a big proponent of approaching with d4.
I do think mixing them in are good strategy.

There's nothing wrong with a slightly unsafe Sub-Zero. In matchups where certain characters couldn't give a flying fuck if you finish your clone string (like Noob for example) a standing 2 is ok. Really, -3 is not that bad. Sometimes you gotta pull out all the tricks in your bag.

Seapeople

This one's for you
What do you guys think of this? After ending a corner combo with slide, dash forward let go and release block then cross them up? It messes with some characters' wake-ups and if they do get a wake-up it's usually reversed allowing you to full combo punish them.
Sounds interesting. Do you know some of the wakeups it messes up?
I think sometimes its good to do crazy stuff like this when you're trying to win the round. Guys like Tom and Denzell occasionally cross up their opponent in the corner on a read.

I like using 2 by itself as well.

I normally use the machine d4 approach but sometimes I mix in d4~clone...usually when I really want a clone on the screen or against a character like Raiden.
I still don't use the d4~clone set up in the corner but I should probably start trying it. Do you know which projectiles push characters onto the d4~clone? I know Sektor's flamethrower pushes him onto it but it doesn't push him onto the 212~clone. Also how practical would you say it is to use your invisible wall set up after a slide, or use the set ups that force the opponent to block the clone after a slide?

ryublaze

Noob
Sounds interesting. Do you know some of the wakeups it messes up?
I think sometimes its good to do crazy stuff like this when you're trying to win the round. Guys like Tom and Denzell occasionally cross up their opponent in the corner on a read.

I like using 2 by itself as well.

I normally use the machine d4 approach but sometimes I mix in d4~clone...usually when I really want a clone on the screen or against a character like Raiden.
I still don't use the d4~clone set up in the corner but I should probably start trying it. Do you know which projectiles push characters onto the d4~clone? I know Sektor's flamethrower pushes him onto it but it doesn't push him onto the 212~clone. Also how practical would you say it is to use your invisible wall set up after a slide, or use the set ups that force the opponent to block the clone after a slide?
Idk which projectiles do that. It depends on their hitbox and the animation of the move they're doing. I don't think the invisible wall thing is practical at all unless ur playing a really risky Sub. Same for the opponent blocking the clone after slide.

Seapeople

This one's for you
Idk which projectiles do that. It depends on their hitbox and the animation of the move they're doing. I don't think the invisible wall thing is practical at all unless ur playing a really risky Sub. Same for the opponent blocking the clone after slide.
Oh ok. I rewatched the d4~clone video just a minute ago and noticed that delaying the d4 generally makes the set up better (works against Cyber Sub, slide doesn't make the clone disappear). If you delay the d4 can you still get various height jumpkicks into the clone or a throw into the clone?

ryublaze

Noob
Oh ok. I rewatched the d4~clone video just a minute ago and noticed that delaying the d4 generally makes the set up better (works against Cyber Sub, slide doesn't make the clone disappear). If you delay the d4 can you still get various height jumpkicks into the clone or a throw into the clone?
Umm i don't think the jump kick into clone works but throw should always work. I haven't messed with it in a while...it's more gimmicky than Sub's general 212~clone though if that's how you like to play Sub. I don't want to mislead any Sub players to doing this than Brady's 2,1,2,clone.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Ive been trying to figure this out for a year and a half. Im satisfied that there is no rhyme or reason. Ive had clones disappear the moment I pop them out when Im on one side of the screen and my opponent is on the other, for no apparent reason. Also, you cant do a clone after you hit an xray(dont know why) or after landing a throw(again, dont know why)
I'm sure you know this... but if you wait a split second later to do the clone rather than when you normally would, you'll get the clone after a throw.

Marvaz

come at me
Ill be making a small video of tech none uses. Such as a ice puddle 50/50 after 22, ice puddle setup after 212, ice puddle (trick) after 212, ambigous crossups after 212, and more.

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
Ill be making a small video of tech none uses. Such as a ice puddle 50/50 after 22, ice puddle setup after 212, ice puddle (trick) after 212, ambigous crossups after 212, and more.
Holy shit, well look who it is. Blast from the fucking past right here

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I've had a few discussions about this with Sgt Reed.

There has GOT to be a better more damaging comob when you've frozen someone in a d4 position. Right now the best one is (2),2,4 slide. 16%.
That is not a punish. Just adding like 5-7% more damage would help.

Get to work.

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)

There has GOT to be a better more damaging comob when you've frozen someone in a d4 position. Right now the best one is (2),2,4 slide. 16%.

Get to work.
Outside of trying to time a fully charged b2, I have no idea.

Sent from my scrubby HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

ryublaze

Noob

Get to work.
Freeze someone in a d4 position? what?

Seapeople

This one's for you

Get to work.
There's really not a better punish. I like to use (2)24~freeze sometimes when thery're close to the wall because i can put a clone out afterward (assuming they don't wakeup). You can also use uncharged b2 for 5-7% damage and +12 advantage where you can get more chip afterward.
^This might be the best thing to use when the other player is cornered. Overall (2)24~slide does decent damage and pushes your opponent toward the wall, so it's not bad at all.