What's new

Strategy The Subzero tech/strat video thread

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
My matches at yesterday's GGA tournament (1st match at 57:05 [vs. GGA 16bit] / 2nd match at 1:17:45 [vs. GGA MOEW30]) My first tournament match was EM3 Hruza (Liu Kang), but wasn't streamed.

http://www.twitch.tv/gallopingghostarcade/b/337093660

It might be safe to say that I've just about hit my peak, unless I do something drastic such as move to Chicago. lol

I think that I mainly need to work on making my reaction times quicker. If I can do that, my opponents will have a tougher time getting out of the corner.
The one point where you backed up and 22'd her F21 ... that's what I've been saying. You've gotta be ready for F21.

Of course you guys knew I would find something in that to show it's not so bad. :p

Good matches though. But yeah, gotta work on not attacking when you're up on life like charlie said.

Also, how does Kitana get out of the corner for free like they were saying? ... when he jumped over the clone and then boosted... couldn't you have 22 him during the jump and he would have fallen on the clone? When he didn't jump and boost... but just boosted... can't you just ex slide him back? I don't get it.

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
Also, how does Kitana get out of the corner for free like they were saying? ... when he jumped over the clone and then boosted... couldn't you have 22 him during the jump and he would have fallen on the clone? When he didn't jump and boost... but just boosted... can't you just ex slide him back? I don't get it.
You can. You just have to be able to react to it.

I do this plenty of times against other Kitana players, but 16bit has a way to keep himself from being predictable.

Plus my reaction times have always been hella slow.

Also, a good Kitana is very difficult to hit with a 2 or 2,2 anti-air. The threat of a jump kick / air fan combo is always there with her.

Seapeople

This one's for you
As if Sub's corner mixups werent hard enough already...this is gonna be fun to learn :D
I'm probably gonna get blown up a lot at first doing this set up. Good stuff as always Tom, I'm glad ice puddle can be used in a mixup finally

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
As if Sub's corner mixups werent hard enough already...this is gonna be fun to learn :D
I'm probably gonna get blown up a lot at first doing this set up. Good stuff as always Tom, I'm glad ice puddle can be used in a mixup finally
Is there anyone else who can occupy that space like shang where this would work? I can't think of anyone off the top of my head.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Finally? You obviously haven't played me.

Seapeople

This one's for you
Finally? You obviously haven't played me.
Every other puddle set up only works if you catch the opponent off guard. Even if you're using it successfully there's been no mixup involved until now.

STB CharlieMurphy I'm not sure either but its something to think about. It would probably depend on if any other characters have a projectile that nulifies ex slide

ryublaze

Noob
What do you guys think of this? After ending a corner combo with slide, dash forward let go and release block then cross them up? It messes with some characters' wake-ups and if they do get a wake-up it's usually reversed allowing you to full combo punish them.

ryublaze

Noob
Also I brought this up before but didn't get much replies but against high hitbox characters I like to do standing 2 and mix it up with 2,1 and 2,1,2/4. It can catch people off guard sometimes and if they react too late after standing 2 then you can combo into 2,1,2,ice ball.

Dark_Rob

Noob
What do you guys think of this? After ending a corner combo with slide, dash forward let go and release block then cross them up? It messes with some characters' wake-ups and if they do get a wake-up it's usually reversed allowing you to full combo punish them.
I would never take the risk of letting someone out of the corner, even on a read. Id rather put up the clone, and then make a read while they are in the corner. Corner is everything to Subzero.

Dark_Rob

Noob
Also I brought this up before but didn't get much replies but against high hitbox characters I like to do standing 2 and mix it up with 2,1 and 2,1,2/4. It can catch people off guard sometimes and if they react too late after standing 2 then you can combo into 2,1,2,ice ball.
Your better of doing that kind of thing with just 2,1. Standing 2 is -3 on block, while 2,1 is 0 on block. They have even less time to respond if you use 2,1

MK_Salivial

MK Mad Decent
i need to copy pasta my response on MKU i suppose.

2,1 isn't really good in the corner. Like yous aid... to each his own... but 2,1,4 is safe by itself and can cause hesitation.
If you're player 1... the only thing you really need to worry about is armor against 2,1,2. It is when you're player 2 that things get dicey.
I'll go 2,1,4 and immediately 2,2 if they blocked everything. The sword tip still hits them and usually whiffing the 2 makes people charge in like a maniac. I don't really confirm much in the corner... I don't really have to. I don't clone after 2,1,4 hardly ever. So if the 4 hits... i just walk up a bit and wait.
I mean... SZ's corner game isn't rocket science.
I literally was going to like this post until I saw the end. You are arrogant dude and it is annoying. On everything you're a huge reason I don't post in the Sub-Zero forums.

ryublaze

Noob
Your better of doing that kind of thing with just 2,1. Standing 2 is -3 on block, while 2,1 is 0 on block. They have even less time to respond if you use 2,1
Yeah I know 2,1 is generally the better option but -3 isn't that much and your opponent's going expect the 2,1. I mean other characters like Scorp has similar stuff with 3,3,4 or Skarlet's 1,1 but Sub's is better cuz he's only at -3 with a 9 frame standing 2 and he can hit confirm it into a combo. These are just other options I see Sub has vs. some characters and I don't see any other Sub using the stuff I've been using.

ryublaze

Noob
Something else I've been doing but not exactly sure when's the right time to do it but if I'm in pressure and I clone and the clone disappears sometimes I'm able to punish the opponent's whiffed pressure with a slide. It might be really situational though.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Something else I've been doing but not exactly sure when's the right time to do it but if I'm in pressure and I clone and the clone disappears sometimes I'm able to punish the opponent's whiffed pressure with a slide. It might be really situational though.
I like this. I wish I knew exactly when a clone was going to break for no reason. Probably the most annoying thing about SZ. Up close d4 will get frozen in clone... but if you're 8 feet above me... the clone breaks. ILLOGICAL!! ;)

Dark_Rob

Noob
I like this. I wish I knew exactly when a clone was going to break for no reason. Probably the most annoying thing about SZ. Up close d4 will get frozen in clone... but if you're 8 feet above me... the clone breaks. ILLOGICAL!! ;)
Ive been trying to figure this out for a year and a half. Im satisfied that there is no rhyme or reason. Ive had clones disappear the moment I pop them out when Im on one side of the screen and my opponent is on the other, for no apparent reason. Also, you cant do a clone after you hit an xray(dont know why) or after landing a throw(again, dont know why)

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
I literally was going to like this post until I saw the end. You are arrogant dude and it is annoying. On everything you're a huge reason I don't post in the Sub-Zero forums.
The reason you dont post is because nobody cares about what you say. Dont make this about Murph, who is a TOP sub zero player.

ryublaze

Noob
At one time I was playing Sub in a way where I would dash up to their face constantly and put a clone up into their face so if they tried to move forward or d4 me they would get frozen but sometimes the clone would disappear and I would get hit.

ryublaze

Noob
I don't post much in the sub forums either but today I decided to post a lot out of boredom. <.<

Dark_Rob

Noob
At one time I was playing Sub in a way where I would dash up to their face constantly and put a clone up into their face so if they tried to move forward or d4 me they would get frozen but sometimes the clone would disappear and I would get hit.
Yea it can be hit or miss with close clones. I feel like character hitboxes have alot to do with it. I feel like the characters chest area being to close is what determines whether the clone breaks or not, but I cant be sure. Theres some evidence to back up my beliefs, but it isnt concrete enough. For instance both Sonya and Mileena are very prone to being caught by clones when they D4. Both of their D4 animations have their legs stick out very far foward of the rest of theyre body so clones that might not form on other characters will form on them because their chest areas are so far back compared with theyre D4. Likewise it seems to be alot easier to AA jump kicks with a clone then it is to AA jump in punches with a clone. The kick sticks out alot farther from the rest of theyre body so the clone forms. Where as with Jump in punches theyre chest area is alot further foward.

It still random as fuck though, and sometimes clones break and I cant even begin to think why.

MK_Salivial

MK Mad Decent
how? PLEASE. tell me bro, how?
You're making some insulting comment that wasn't even based off my comment. I never mentioned anything about if anyone cares what I have to say or if I cared. I was stating an opinion and honestly one I think the guy needed to hear. He is a great player I'm sure but he can also come off as really condescending and a bit of an asshole. I suppose that's a requirement for STB. There you go bud. Reflect on that, let the reality of your immaturity dwell on you, shake it off and write another ignorant reply.