What's new

Strategy The Subzero tech/strat video thread

Seapeople

This one's for you
There's a really basic wall trap with Sub Zero that I don't see a lot of people incorporate. Anytime you get an untechable knockdown (slide or throw), you can grab the other player before they can jump or duck to escape. You can pretty much keep throwing them until they decide to wakeup, tech the throw, or stay grounded.

After the slide you can even dash forward so that their wakeup inputs are reversed, and then throw them back to the corner again.

I know it's simple but pretty fundamental lol. Dark_Rob if you'd like a video example for the first post I can get it done.

Seapeople

This one's for you
Here's a rough list of projectiles that will push characters into an ice clone after the 212 ice clone wall trap.
Sindel:
High fireball/Ex high fireball

Ermac:
Teleslam/Ex Teleslam

Johnny Cage:
Ex fireballs (only if blocked)

Kitana:
Ground fan/Ex ground fan

Jade:
All boomerangs/Ex boomerangs

Cyrax:
Net/Ex net
Sticky bombs
Medium bomb becomes extremely difficult to use

Sonya:
Energy Ring/Ex energy ring

Shang Tsung:
Soul Steal
Ex Straight Skull

Kabal:
Ground Saw/Ex Ground Saw

Quan Chi:
Trance/Ex Trance

Cyber Sub Zero:
Medium bomb becomes extremely difficult to use

Skarlet:
Dagger/Ex Dagger

Rain:
Geyser Kick/Ex Geyser Kick
Water Buble/Ex Water Buble
Ex Aqua Splash

Kenshi:
Rising Karma/Ex Rising Karma
All overhead smashes/Ex overhead smashes

Freddy:
Glove Toss

There are a lot of projectiles not included on this list that can potentially push a character into the clone, but the character will have to take a slight step forward first. Some examples are Scorpion's spear, Ermac's TKP, etc. I'll try to make a separate list for these projectiles later.

I'd also like to figure out which pokes every character can use after 212 ice clone without getting frozen. Look for that in the future :)

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Thoughts on not ending blockstrings with clone midscreen?i don't like to put distance between certain MU's and just don't clone.

NKZero

Noob
Thoughts on not ending blockstrings with clone midscreen?i don't like to put distance between certain MU's and just don't clone.
Well the problem is if you do naked 224 on block you are something like -13 and can be fully punished especially because you are very close to the opponent. On the other hand, 224-ice clone not only reduces the disadvantage but prevents the opponent from advancing on you or else they're frozen. I mean if you have conditioned them to respect the clone then sure you will get away with the odd 'no-clone'. But it's better to put the clone out after all blockstrings. The only way you can get blown up is an armour attack but that forces them to use meter. Without a clone there you can get punished hard if the opponent knows it.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Well the problem is if you do naked 224 on block you are something like -13 and can be fully punished especially because you are very close to the opponent. On the other hand, 224-ice clone not only reduces the disadvantage but prevents the opponent from advancing on you or else they're frozen. I mean if you have conditioned them to respect the clone then sure you will get away with the odd 'no-clone'. But it's better to put the clone out after all blockstrings. The only way you can get blown up is an armour attack but that forces them to use meter. Without a clone there you can get punished hard if the opponent knows it.
22 and 224 should never be done point blank anyway,212 is the string i mainly use.

NKZero

Noob
22 and 224 should never be done point blank anyway,212 is the string i mainly use.
Even if it is done at further distance, fast advancing normals will punish it or 100% you will have to block an opponent's strings so you have just given up your offense. Clone prevents that. Plus 22/224 is better mid-screen in the neutral game. I only really use 212-ice clone for the corner set-ups.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Even if it is done at further distance, fast advancing normals will punish it or 100% you will have to block an opponent's strings so you have just given up your offense. Clone prevents that. Plus 22/224 is better mid-screen in the neutral game. I only really use 212-ice clone for the corner set-ups.
no it isn't,22 is a tool to check on your opponent,you're only -6 which is at worst a max range d4 with no consequences other than 3% damage

22 is used as a check,the only reason you'd add 4 is for teaching your opponent to respect your options or the occasional blockstring to clone.

212 is -11,i'd rather sit through half a sec of neg frames at a decent distance than force myself out.

NKZero

Noob
no it isn't,22 is a tool to check on your opponent,you're only -6 which is at worst a max range d4 with no consequences other than 3% damage

22 is used as a check,the only reason you'd add 4 is for teaching your opponent to respect your options or the occasional blockstring to clone.

212 is -11,i'd rather sit through half a sec of neg frames at a decent distance than force myself out.
I don't get what you're saying tbh. You think 21 is a better string mid-screen? You are right about the 224 string but that's the best way to hunt your offense as a Sub Zero player because the damage done of 22 hit confirm is greater than 21/212. Plus you can do it from further away.

The main point is ending with clone is the safer option so why wouldn't you do it?

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I don't get what you're saying tbh. You think 21 is a better string mid-screen? You are right about the 224 string but that's the best way to hunt your offense as a Sub Zero player because the damage done of 22 hit confirm is greater than 21/212. Plus you can do it from further away.

The main point is ending with clone is the safer option so why wouldn't you do it?
212 is unpunishable except by very fast specials,224 NEEDS a clone to stay unpunished.

i think i'll sacrifice 4% damage in order for the ability to choose my spacing and not be punished for it.

Just checked btw,2 iceball can punish 224 but not 212,you have the option of cloning,i almost always choose not to,-6 on max range means i can't poke straight away,from then on your can read/counterpoke

212 is basically the same but i always block vs certain chars

one thing the 22 string has is the ability to pressure,that i'll admit,but i'd rather stay close all the time than once in a while for 5/12/29% and especially since guessing wrong can you get punished (throw)

NKZero

Noob
212 is unpunishable except by very fast specials,224 NEEDS a clone to stay unpunished.

i think i'll sacrifice 4% damage in order for the ability to choose my spacing and not be punished for it.

Just checked btw,2 iceball can punish 224 but not 212,you have the option of cloning,i almost always choose not to,-6 on max range means i can't poke straight away,from then on your can read/counterpoke

212 is basically the same but i always block vs certain chars
How is it -6 max range? Isn't 212 -11 on block? Also 22 freeze can lead into B121 reset or 214-slide for corner push. Considering the nature of Sub's game you need a life lead and corner push. That's what he excels at, turtling and corner domination. 21 doesn't really offer that. It's just as hard to punish max range 224. In fact you can whiff the first 2 and because of the large hitbox of the second 2 (and it comes out so quickly afterwards) you have to respect it. 21 on whiff is easily punished. Besides clone off 224 puts you at optimal spacing level, just outside or touching on max range D4. That's where you want to be mid-screen.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
How is it -6 max range? Isn't 212 -11 on block? Also 22 freeze can lead into B121 reset or 214-slide for corner push. Considering the nature of Sub's game you need a life lead and corner push. That's what he excels at, turtling and corner domination. 21 doesn't really offer that. It's just as hard to punish max range 224. In fact you can whiff the first 2 and because of the large hitbox of the second 2 (and it comes out so quickly afterwards) you have to respect it. 21 on whiff is easily punished. Besides clone off 224 puts you at optimal spacing level, just outside or touching on max range D4. That's where you want to be mid-screen.
the only way you'd whiff 21 is if your opponent jumped back/low hitbox/you got baited.

22 is -6 no matter which range you hit it from.

212 is -11 on block,punishable only by very fast specials,no normals.

212 b12 22 slide has same pushback as 22 freeze jip 214 slide

212 clone puts you at the same distance as 224 clone,unless the random pushback bug happens.

the 1 in 21 is an advancing move

comfort zones differ from player to player as long as it's within a beneficial zone ofc.

after 224 clone you can dash and the d4 still won't connect from max range

212 naked is just outside d4 range

NKZero

Noob
the only way you'd whiff 21 is if your opponent jumped back/low hitbox/you got baited

22 is -6 no matter which range you hit it from.

212 is -11 on block,punishable only by very fast specials,no normals.

212 b12 22 slide has same pushback as 22 freeze jip 214 slide

212 clone puts you at the same distance as 224 clone,unless the random pushback bug happens.

the 1 in 21 is an advancing move

comfort zones differ from player to player as long as it's within a beneficial zone ofc.
Oh sorry didn't realise you meant 22. Nightwolf or Cage cannot punish with F3? Nightwolf's punish would have to be just frame anyways but for the most part you are correct. Fast specials and same applies to 224. 212-ice clone actually has slightly less pushback so you are inside D4 range. But as you said the random bug thing can occur. Does that also apply mid-screen (the bug)? Or only corner? I know the 1 in 21 advances but still an easier whiff punish than 22 which is near impossible.

Besides I think we have to go back to the original claim you made. I still maintain all blockstrings should end with clone. Even if there is no definite punish for naked 212 or 224 or whatever, you relinquish your offense. Put a clone out and the opponent will think twice before approaching you. That's the key.

Thanks for sharing your ideas anyways man. As I said, you can get away with no clones if they respect the clone in the first place. I mean this applies to any string or follow up special in MK9. Getting someone to respect something extra allows you to cut short and explore more offensive options.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Oh sorry didn't realise you meant 22. Nightwolf or Cage cannot punish with F3? Nightwolf's punish would have to be just frame anyways but for the most part you are correct. Fast specials and same applies to 224. 212-ice clone actually has slightly less pushback so you are inside D4 range. But as you said the random bug thing can occur. Does that also apply mid-screen (the bug)? Or only corner? I know the 1 in 21 advances but still an easier whiff punish than 22 which is near impossible.

Besides I think we have to go back to the original claim you made. I still maintain all blockstrings should end with clone. Even if there is no definite punish for naked 212 or 224 or whatever, you relinquish your offense. Put a clone out and the opponent will think twice before approaching you. That's the key.

Thanks for sharing your ideas anyways man. As I said, you can get away with no clones if they respect the clone in the first place. I mean this applies to any string or follow up special in MK9. Getting someone to respect something extra allows you to cut short and explore more offensive options.
Right now i'm trying to play a more aggressive subzero i REALLY want to use @Dark Rob 's motto of "clones are more dangerous off the screen" (or was it THTB,i forget) and it's working,i force my opponents to respect the clone.

i think you've confused my point or i didn't even mention it (lol),the 212 is used when i wanna stay close,i'd only stay close vs matchups i can't rush away from,i'm almost sure none of those can punish me.

besides,i could 21,21 clone,212 clone,that's the beauty of it,they can't be sure i won't clone.

the bug happens everywhere.

i'm slowly getting convinced 212 may not be the way to go,leaning more towards 21 clone,less overall pushback,2% less chip and 8% less of a bar but if you dash you're in max d4 range.

how do you feel about pokes cancelled to clone?

NKZero

Noob
Right now i'm trying to play a more aggressive subzero i REALLY want to use @Dark Rob 's motto of "clones are more dangerous off the screen" (or was it THTB,i forget) and it's working,i force my opponents to respect the clone.

i think you've confused my point or i didn't even mention it (lol),the 212 is used when i wanna stay close,i'd only stay close vs matchups i can't rush away from,i'm almost sure none of those can punish me.

besides,i could 21,21 clone,212 clone,that's the beauty of it,they can't be sure i won't clone.

the bug happens everywhere.

i'm slowly getting convinced 212 may not be the way to go,leaning more towards 21 clone,less overall pushback,2% less chip and 8% less of a bar but if you dash you're in max d4 range.

how do you feel about pokes cancelled to clone?
Like D4-clone? Not a fan. D4 (finish animation)-clone? Absolutely. Clone is bigger. You do not need to cancel the D4 since it is neutral on block anyways. As you correctly stated, clones are more dangerous off screen. I just think that because you are at disadvantage from a block string you HAVE to (imo) clone after. However in the neutral game you should not auto clone. It is more scary when it isn't there. Bait the opponent and then throw out a clone to scare them. I agree with that.

I don't think aggressive Sub works tbh. You have to play Brady style Sub Zero. The more Sub is pressing the offense, the more likely it is you will get blown up if you make the wrong moves. I just keep it simple tbh and stick to 224 mid screen. Nothing wrong with 212 or 21, just I feel it works better in the corner when I am in the opponents' face and I am forced to press the issue.

I still use the odd 21 mid-screen but I am always looking to throw after that to net 12% guaranteed damage. The 21-21-21-21 gimmick days are over :p. I like 21-clone. I do B12-clone as well sometimes off a JIP (don't use B1 in the neutral game).

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Like D4-clone? Not a fan. D4 (finish animation)-clone? Absolutely. Clone is bigger. You do not need to cancel the D4 since it is neutral on block anyways. As you correctly stated, clones are more dangerous off screen. I just think that because you are at disadvantage from a block string you HAVE to (imo) clone after. However in the neutral game you should not auto clone. It is more scary when it isn't there. Bait the opponent and then throw out a clone to scare them. I agree with that.

I don't think aggressive Sub works tbh. You have to play Brady style Sub Zero. The more Sub is pressing the offense, the more likely it is you will get blown up if you make the wrong moves. I just keep it simple tbh and stick to 224 mid screen. Nothing wrong with 212 or 21, just I feel it works better in the corner when I am in the opponents' face and I am forced to press the issue.

I still use the odd 21 mid-screen but I am always looking to throw after that to net 12% guaranteed damage. The 21-21-21-21 gimmick days are over :p. I like 21-clone. I do B12-clone as well sometimes off a JIP (don't use B1 in the neutral game).
off of a jip i used b1 xxd4,it's a nice mixup,if they try to block low or interrupt the poke they get hit by 2 for full combo.

You have a PS3?

NKZero

Noob
off of a jip i used b1 xxd4,it's a nice mixup,if they try to block low or interrupt the poke they get hit by 2 for full combo.

You have a PS3?
It's a nice mix-up and less risky than B1-slide. I do man but getting a new one. Old one died :(. So when I do I will add you and we can duke it out :). Might take 2 weeks though.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
lol
enjoy getting the 1 in the 2,1 string to hit and not being able to confirm anything after.
2,1,2 is not good midscreen... it has no footsie use.
You can't follow up anything after...... its zero on block... and if you get the 2 blocked, you wont' be ableo to confirm the 1 if you planned on doing another rep. So you get alot of the (2),1 dash crap.

2,2 has almost d4 range and covers behind your head. You can confirm the 2,4 ... because you aren't going to "pressure" after a 2,2. 2,4~slide is VERY easy to confirm. Thats more damage.
I will say that i've started using 2,1,4 after I confirm a d4 alot more.... no clone. It has the pushback is only -9... most players hesitate when they don't see a clone... and I can usually get a 2,2,4 out.

You can't whiff the 2 in 2,1 and not pay for it. You WILL get punished more often than not, by a cross up more than likely (which is HUGE damage).

All in the eye of the beholder. But I have tremendous success with 2,2 as my lead footsie tool and d4 as my counter footsie tool.
2,2 also gives you the advantage of seeing someone jump and still eating the other 2 and a freeze (because if you whiff the sword, freeze doesn't come out anyway). Small things like this make the string SO much better in open space.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
lol
enjoy getting the 1 in the 2,1 string to hit and not being able to confirm anything after.
2,1,2 is not good midscreen... it has no footsie use.
You can't follow up anything after...... its zero on block... and if you get the 2 blocked, you wont' be ableo to confirm the 1 if you planned on doing another rep. So you get alot of the (2),1 dash crap.

2,2 has almost d4 range and covers behind your head. You can confirm the 2,4 ... because you aren't going to "pressure" after a 2,2. 2,4~slide is VERY easy to confirm. Thats more damage.
I will say that i've started using 2,1,4 after I confirm a d4 alot more.... no clone. It has the pushback is only -9... most players hesitate when they don't see a clone... and I can usually get a 2,2,4 out.

You can't whiff the 2 in 2,1 and not pay for it. You WILL get punished more often than not, by a cross up more than likely (which is HUGE damage).

All in the eye of the beholder. But I have tremendous success with 2,2 as my lead footsie tool and d4 as my counter footsie tool.
2,2 also gives you the advantage of seeing someone jump and still eating the other 2 and a freeze (because if you whiff the sword, freeze doesn't come out anyway). Small things like this make the string SO much better in open space.
i have a feeling i never wrote that i intended to do what i do after a successful d4

i'd add something,but my signature sums it up pretty well.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
STB CharlieMurphy
knoterror
Semi Evil Ryu
Seapeople
o-BEEF_SUPREME-o
MK Kobra
Qwark28
@ every sub zero player

Watch this fight againt XBL Mind Gamez and tell me what I need to work on please. I'm soooo pissed at myself for losing this match I had the thing multiple times but let it get away and lost 0-2. ugh

http://www.twitch.tv/xblmindgamez/b/319473592

My fight starts at the 1:00:19 mark ... there's also footage of me playing some rain player toward the beginning, like 20 minutes in if you wanna see that. (where I did much better lol)

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
STB CharlieMurphy
knoterror
Semi Evil Ryu
Seapeople
o-BEEF_SUPREME-o
@ every sub zero player

Watch this fight againt XBL Mind Gamez and tell me what I need to work on please. I'm soooo pissed at myself for losing this match I had the thing multiple times but let it get away and lost 0-2. ugh

My fight starts at the 1:00:19 mark ... there's also footage of me playing some rain player toward the beginning, like 20 minutes in if you wanna see that. (where I did much better lol)
what do you think you did wrong?
btw... he beat me basically the same way, which is depressing.... but it happens.

I could probably find where I played him... and you'd not see a difference.
JC can lock SZ down.... you REALLY have to lame out the life lead. Sometimes simply not attacking for 30 seconds at a time.
I blame a lot of things when I lose to JC.... but it is what it is... counter poking online is hard and can cost you when normally it shouldn't. I have no shame to losing to any JC... simply because he has that advantage online. :) Don't hang your head.... just re-watch your match.
You'll see that there were WAY too many ice balls.... and thats really it.
One time you had a pretty good life lead and kept attacking.....
and one time you had him in the corner and just let him out.... You don't have to "attack" but keeping him in the corner is a must.
I'd also suggest that... anytime you get a life lead... after the b1,2,1.... simply doing the 2,1,4~clone is probably best... there is no risk... and if he red kicks after... so what? he lost a bar and you still have a life lead.

Seapeople

This one's for you
I've been using the guaranteed-throw-wall-trap a ton lately and it is seriously good. It's like Sub's own version of Cyrax's command grab. I'll definitely make a video tomorrow so that it will be easier for people to understand.

STB CharlieMurphy
knoterror
Semi Evil Ryu
Seapeople
o-BEEF_SUPREME-o
@ every sub zero player

Pretty much what Charlie said. You played almost exactly like I would against Cage as well.
The biggest things I think hurt you were too much jumping and too many ice balls within jip distance. I don't think ex freeze is great against Cage because you'll want the meter for a breaker when he gets in.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
what do you think you did wrong?
The only thing I can think of is too much jumping.

I rewatched the match again and what I saw is just depressing. I had the lead... HUGE leads... and let him come back. That's why I was so pissed, not b/c it was JC, but b/c I had the damn match. I've literally never done this, but I threw my controller after I lost last night, saltiest I've ever been at MK. lmao

Anyway, after rewatching it... I saw like 2 or 3 non hit confirmed 224 strings where I could have gotten 22 freeze or at the least 224 slide instead of clone. That right there could have very well cost me the match.

As for letting him out of the corner... yeah that probably killed me too, but I just don't get much practice at having people in the corner. Most of the time, my matches are decided midscreen. lol ... Anyone that wants to help me work on that, I would be grateful. haha

The ice blasts... well, even when I'm attempting to lame someone out, I feel like I HAVE to do something. I'm the kind of player that can't just stand there. Most I threw were 3/4ths to full screen away anyway, so I don't see how that is a bad thing... builds meter. I only saw about 1 ice blast that I threw at JIP range and yeah... I got combo'd for it. =/

214 huh? ... I like... never use that string. I like to use 212 just b/c of the chance of a hit confirm combo. All you get off 214 is a slide. I know about it supposedly being uninterruptable. IDK, I just don't see the worth of the string. I'll try to start putting this in my game though.

I'm sure I could have used D3 to try to get out of the pressure more instead of D4.

I also found your match and watched it. I noticed you used 22 by itself way more than I did. (I did like twice... lol) Isn't it bad on block?

Anyway, please... anyone else tell me what you noticed. I need to work on my Sub.