What's new

Strategy The Subzero tech/strat video thread

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
I tried practicing that 212 freeze, djk, 22 slide tech for about 10 minutes, last night. Shit is not easy for me to get down. I've never been an expert on perfecting the djk, so it may simply be me.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
I tried practicing that 212 freeze, djk, 22 slide tech for about 10 minutes, last night. Shit is not easy for me to get down. I've never been an expert on perfecting the djk, so it may simply be me.
Yeah it's weird at first but trust me, with some practice it really isn't hard to get used to at all.

Not any harder than dashing up and doing b1(whiff)2 by any means.

ryublaze

Noob
I've posted about this before but is there any reason to not do standing 2 mixed with 21 and 214 clone on high hitbox characters? It works well online but I'm not sure about offline. Standing 2 is only -3 so if they try to poke out after 2 and you do 21 you can hitconfirm it into 212 ice ball.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I've posted about this before but is there any reason to not do standing 2 mixed with 21 and 214 clone on high hitbox characters? It works well online but I'm not sure about offline. Standing 2 is only -3 so if they try to poke out after 2 and you do 21 you can hitconfirm it into 212 ice ball.
the pause between strings is extremely obvious

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
There's a really basic wall trap with Sub Zero that I don't see a lot of people incorporate. Anytime you get an untechable knockdown (slide or throw), you can grab the other player before they can jump or duck to escape. You can pretty much keep throwing them until they decide to wakeup, tech the throw, or stay grounded.

After the slide you can even dash forward so that their wakeup inputs are reversed, and then throw them back to the corner again.

I know it's simple but pretty fundamental lol. Dark_Rob if you'd like a video example for the first post I can get it done.
Gonna start trying this... way late... I know... but better late than never! haha

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
for a block string that could be hit confirmed
beats me... in open space... 2,2 covers your head if you whiff the first 2 and someone tries to jump in.

in the corner... 2,2,4 doesn't cause the pushback to let the clone come out.

When he had a reset... if was worth the risk to try and land a 2,1 in the open.

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
I actually use it quite a bit, in open space its great. you can whiff the string and it will cover the front from almost anything, and if you space it right you can still connect the 4 and cancel into clone, and at that distance youre far away enough to not really have to worry about the -13...(mainly ermac specific) Its a really good string. imo

Ninja edit - basically what charlie said :D

Seapeople

This one's for you
22 is definitely better for mid range footsies. But at point blank 21 can be equally effective.

LBSH 212 is much easier to hit confirm than 22 without a jump in punch.
212~clone can't be punished by fast specials, but 224~clone & 214~clone can. You can use a raw 214 to bait a punish like Ermac's TKS, Jax's ex dash punch, etc....It sounds like a gimmicky tactic, but it can be very useful when used at the right time. If you were to use a raw 224, you are less safe on block.

Using lots of 214~clone also conditions your opponent to not interrupt before the 3rd hit, which is really important when you get to the corner and need the 212~clone trap.

That's not all the reasons why I will use 21, but it's probably the most important ones.

Seapeople

This one's for you
So I think we need (or at least I need) to use more 21~clone in the corner. I only plan to use it when I think the other player will interrupt 212.
Using 214 causes the clone to shatter if it hits and 214~freeze is quite risky. 21~clone seems like a good safe option instead.

Now think about using this against characters who try to interrupt with unsafe attacks (Lao's spin, Reptile's ex dash, Scorpion's ex spear, etc).... By the time you put out the clone you should still have time to punish them :)

Althogh you can't set up jumpkick mix ups using 21~clone, you can still get the ex slide into ice clone.

Seapeople

Things like Scorpion's EX Spear or anything armored and advancing is still going to blow up 21~Clone if they're trying to interrupt 212~Clone.

Use 214 in the corner against interrupters. You don't HAVE to guess and risk a cancel into a freeze. A.) You can clone after 214 hits while they're in the air and it will come out and be a close clone that gives you your jumpkick options. Not many people know this. Or B.) You can D1~Clone or D4~Clone a confirmed 214 and it will freeze them.

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
Ive actually gotten to the point to where if I read the interrupt....Ill just 21 and block. Then put them into the 212freeze 222 clone setup or 22 b121 blah blah blah. Unless its raiden or sonya.

knoterror

Whats your trick for d1~clone? I cant seem to get it, i just get naked clone every time. Perhaps d4 would be easier? (db4b1?)

o-BEEF_SUPREME-o

Practice, really.

D4~Clone seems easier to hit, but I'd rather go for the D1~Clone. If I miss the timing, (i.e. online) I at least have a close clone out.

D1~Clone should be used more just in general, if you ask me. It's hard for staggered blockstringers like Cage to react to in time, and in the corner gives you jumpkick options.

Seapeople

This one's for you
o-BEEF_SUPREME-o

Practice, really.

D4~Clone seems easier to hit, but I'd rather go for the D1~Clone. If I miss the timing, (i.e. online) I at least have a close clone out.

D1~Clone should be used more just in general, if you ask me. It's hard for staggered blockstringers like Cage to react to in time, and in the corner gives you jumpkick options.
D1~clone is much easier imo and works against a larger portion of the cast. Neither d1 or d4 will connect if the opponent crouch blocks (21)4. Even hit confirming d1 if they blocked (21)4 while standing is extremely difficult and unfortunately not practical.

I had a full response written about the 21~clone stuff, but my computer accidentally shut down. I suppose I'll just say to each his own :p

the throw tech has been discussed by rubmytaco like 2 months ago
Pls
http://testyourmight.com/threads/simple-wall-throw-trap.17548/

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
D1~clone is much easier imo and works against a larger portion of the cast. Neither d1 or d4 will connect if the opponent crouch blocks (21)4. Even hit confirming d1 if they blocked (21)4 while standing is extremely difficult and unfortunately not practical.

I had a full response written about the 21~clone stuff, but my computer accidentally shut down. I suppose I'll just say to each his own :p

Pls
http://testyourmight.com/threads/simple-wall-throw-trap.17548/
dunno the order of the months,your arguement is invalid